Using cloud-based applications has a significant advantage over local desktop apps. Why should you switch to QuickBooks Online (QBO)? You will be able to access your accounting system from any computer or device, at any time. Automatically sync real-time and have tighter security. Going online includes an offsite backup, which eliminates file version errors.
There is an app ecosystem available with multi-use access that you can use to customize the experience This guide provides a strategy for having cloud conversations with the right prospects, as well as best practices for preparing for a conversation and successfully onboarding cloud clients.
Create a perfect profile in Desktop if you need to convert a group of files that have the same requirements. This is where you’ll enter your chart of accounts, items, and vendors. Check that the data in files that cannot be converted is clean and up to date. Enter the “Trial Balance” and then use the “opening equity account” to load the A/R into the customer profiles.
The A/P should then be loaded into the vendor profiles using the opening equity account. Using the “Bank Feed,” you can retrieve individual items that were outstanding in the most recent bank records.
You may be thinking about switching from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online for a variety of reasons. You might want to have global access to your cloud-based data. The newest features and upgrades might be something you’d like to have access to.
Another explanation might exist. What you need to know about moving QuickBooks desktop online, whatever your motivations may be, is provided below.
Reviewing a File After Conversion
Once the file is online, make sure everything is in accordance with the trial balance, general ledger, payroll, and reconciliations. Verify the accuracy of the tax repercussions. Check the item list, account, customer, and supplier balances, as well as the customer and supplier information and the chart of accounts.
For the band feeds, connect your bank, credit card, or PayPal accounts. The duplicate transactions should not be included in the band feed if the data is less than three months old. Gather the dates from all the CSV files on the client’s bank server if the data is older than three months.
Reconcile everything using the results of the old system’s finalization. Organize the bank feeds in accordance with the reconciliations.
Transfer your QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online:
Learn how to import your QuickBooks Desktop company file into QuickBooks Online.
There’s no need to start from scratch—just move your desktop file to a QuickBooks Online company. Examine all the advantages of switching to QuickBooks Online.
If you’re an accountant, learn how to help your clients succeed with the transition to QuickBooks Online.
Step 1: Create a desktop file.
Important: Please keep in mind that you have 60 days from the time you set up your QuickBooks Online account to move your data. Make certain that QuickBooks is up to date.
- Press F2 (or Ctrl+1) in QuickBooks to open the Product Information window.
- Check your current release and version. If you have the following QuickBooks versions and releases or higher, you’ll have a better chance of success: 2019 R17, 2020 R15, 2021 R10, and 2022 R5.
- Check to see if your company file is too large to export.
- Discover what works and what doesn’t when it comes to QuickBooks online.
- Ensure that QuickBooks is up to date.
- Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard will ensure that your Total Targets are less than 750,000.
Note: If the file size exceeds the target limit (750,000), it cannot be converted to QuickBooks Online. The only options are to import lists and balances into QuickBooks Online or to start from scratch.
- Make a copy of your Sales Tax Liability report. You’ll need it to make adjustments after your move:
- Navigate to the Reports menu and then to Vendors & Payables. Select Sales Tax Liability.
- Select All from the Dates dropdown menu.
- Select Save as PDF from the Print dropdown menu at the top.
- Choose the folder where you want to save it, give it a name, and then click Save.
Step 2: Transfer your QuickBooks Desktop data to QuickBooks Online.
To upgrade your file, use the QuickBooks Desktop file restoration tool if your QuickBooks version is 2018 or older. After that, you can import your data into QuickBooks Online.
Note: If you’re using an older version of QuickBooks Desktop or don’t have access to QuickBooks Desktop, download and open your company file in QuickBooks 2021.
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro vs. QuickBooks Desktop Premier
- Log in as an administrator to the company file that needs to be imported.
- Select Export Company File to QuickBooks Online under Company.
- Start your export by selecting this option.
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online company as an administrator.
- Choose an online company, and then select the QuickBooks Online company that you want to replace with your company file.
- Continue by clicking the button.
- If you keep track of inventory in QuickBooks Desktop, choose Yes to import it, then enter the as-of-date.
- If you want to create new items in QuickBooks Online later, choose No.
- In the text field, type Agree, and then click Replace.
- Select Yes, then Replace.
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise:
Note: If you use advanced features (such as advanced reporting and advanced inventory), we recommend starting over because some of your data will not transfer to QuickBooks Online. If you want to keep using these features in Enterprise, investigate cloud-enabled QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
- Sign in as an administrator to the desktop company file you want to move.
- Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard will bring up the Product Information window.
- To open the export window, press Ctrl + B + Q and then OK.
- Select Get started from the export window.
- Log in as an administrator to your QuickBooks Online company.
- Choose an online company, then choose the QuickBooks Online company you want to replace with your company file.
- Click on Continue, then.
- If you keep track of inventory in QuickBooks Desktop, choose Yes to bring it over, then enter the as-of-date.
- If you want to create new items in QuickBooks Online later, choose No.
- Fill in the text field with “Agree,” then click Replace.
- Select Yes, then Replace.
Step 3: Prepare yourself to use QuickBooks Online.
What to do after converting from QuickBooks Desktop for Windows or Mac to QuickBooks Online.
Let’s get you started with QuickBooks Online now that your company is all set up.
- Register your bank or credit card.
- Create and send your customer invoices.
- Set up location-based sales tax in QuickBooks first if you plan to track sales tax.
- Keep track of your bills and learn how to pay them in QuickBooks.
- If you use payroll, check out this guide to setting up and running payroll in QuickBooks Online.
- You must be logged in to QuickBooks Online to view the guide.
Condense your QuickBooks Desktop file for import into QuickBooks Online by following these steps:
Reminders about file condensing and import:
- When importing to QuickBooks Online, the file size (MB) is unimportant.
- The Desktop file must be less than the following limits in order to be converted to QuickBooks Online:
- QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 2021 (with the most recent releases) and newer 750,000 targets.
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier 2018 (with the most recent updates), as well as newer 750,000 targets.
- QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 2020 and previous targets of 350,000.
- QuickBooks Desktop for Mac has a target of 350,000 users.
- 350,000 targets for QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier 2018 and older.
- QuickBooks 2019: When you condense a file: The overall file size is reduced, and all your data and details are preserved.
- QuickBooks 2018 and previous versions: Some transactions are archived and become Journal Entries.
- Journal Entries also generate targets.
- Reports may not match after a file has been condensed.
- QuickBooks creates an archived copy of your company file in the original folder in which it is saved, naming it “[Your Company File Name] Copy MM/DD/YY.”
- Your original company file can be easily restored from a backup or archive copy.
- Make sure to keep either file in a secure location.
- If you’re experiencing performance issues, the Condense Data Utility should be your last resort for improving performance. See For more information, use the Condense Data utility.
In a QuickBooks company file, look for the following targets:
- Access your QuickBooks Desktop company file by opening it. Product Specifications:
- F2 on your keyboard for Windows.
- CMD (?) +1 on your Mac keyboard.
- Examine the Total Targets figure.
Condense your QuickBooks Desktop data for a QuickBooks Online import by doing the following:
QuickBooks Pro/Premier 2012 and later, or Enterprise 12.0 and later:
- Select Utilities and then Condense Data from the QuickBooks File menu.
- Answer Yes to the message During clean-up, budget data may be moved. Do you still want to go on?
- Select Transactions before a specific date in the Condense Data window.
- To choose a date, use the Date field. QuickBooks will delete closed transactions on or before the specified date.
- It’s recommended to make the date the last day of the month if you track inventory. Your average cost for items will continue to be accurate in this way.
- Choose Next.
- Next, choose a method for compiling the transactions you are deleting. When unsure, click Help me choose.
- (Optional) Choose Next after selecting one of the checkboxes in the ensuing dialog boxes.
- Choose Start Condensing.
Enterprise Solutions 6.0 to 11.0, or QuickBooks Pro/Premier 2006 to 2011.
- Choose Clean Up Company Data under Utilities from the QuickBooks File menu.
- Under the message, click Yes. “Clean-up may involve moving budget data. Do you still wish to proceed?”
- Select the option to remove transactions from a specific date.
- To select a date, use the Date field. QuickBooks will delete closed transactions on or before the date you specify.
- Choose Next.
- (Optional) Check any of the checkboxes under Select Additional Criteria for Removing Transactions, then click Next.
- (Optional) Check any of the checkboxes under Select Unused List Items to Remove, then click Next.
- Choose Start Cleaning.
- Before cleaning up the data file, click OK below the message about creating a backup.
QuickBooks for Mac:
- Close all QuickBooks windows.
- Select File, then Utilities, and finally Condense Data.
- NOTE: If you track inventory, set the date to the last day of the month. That way, your average cost for items will remain accurate.
- Choose OK. Before QuickBooks condenses the transactions, a message appears informing you that it will create a backup file.
- To create the backup file, click OK.
- The backup file ensures that you retain a record of any transactions that QuickBooks deletes from your company file.
1. How can company data be exported to QuickBooks Online?
Step 1: Verify the required file sizes Step 2: Get Ready to Export Data from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online Steps 3 and 4 are to create a QuickBooks Online account and export a company file to the service. Step 5: Access QuickBooks Online Using the Desktop Program. Step 6: In QuickBooks Online, choose Your Company.
2. When I switch to QuickBooks Online, what happens to my data?
We simply copy the data to QuickBooks Online; nothing else is altered. You will now enter fresh data into QuickBooks Online. The data in your QuickBooks Desktop company file will still be kept by you, but you can only access it if your QuickBooks Desktop subscription is still active. Learn the steps for transferring your QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online.
3. How does QuickBooks work when you switch from desktop to online?
All your company’s information, invoices, vendors, and more will be transferred to your new online package when you make the switch because you will be able to upload the data file from your desktop system to the online version.
4. How can I update QuickBooks Desktop to the most recent version?
By clicking Help and choosing Update QuickBooks, you can update your copy of QuickBooks Desktop to the most recent version. Select Export Company File to QuickBooks Online under Company to get a PC copy. Select To QuickBooks Online under File>Export on a Mac. Enter your QuickBooks Online login information when prompted.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support