QuickBooks does allow you to schedule payroll liabilities so that you do not run short of time while paying your taxes. However, there are times when you might not want the scheduled payments to be made no matter what’s the reason. This is where How to Delete Payroll Liabilities in QuickBooks becomes a great help.
How to Delete Payroll Liabilities in QuickBooks ?
Before knowing the steps to How to Delete Payroll Liabilities in QuickBooks, it is important to be aware of what these liabilities are. The payroll liabilities are the amount that is withheld from an employee’s pay for the same to be paid to a third party. Federal and state income tax, etc. comprise these kinds of liabilities.
Why is it needed?
There are instances where you keep payroll liabilities scheduled in QB but you might not require it after a certain period of time. Or else, the amount that is recorded in QuickBooks might be incorrect or there might have been a change in it lately. In such scenarios, it becomes mandatory to delete the payroll liabilities before creating a new one with the updated amount and other details.
Steps to Follow to How to Delete Payroll Liabilities in QuickBooks:
Option 1: Delete any liability payment
- Choose the Pay Liabilities tab
- You will get the Payment History screen
- Click on the transactions
- Select the Delete option on top of the screen
- Click OK
The liability payment gets deleted and you can start storing the record again.
Option 2: Clear scheduled payroll liability
- Choose the Employees option
- Click on Payroll Center
- Go to the Pay Liabilities tab. Click on it
- Move to the drop-down for Other Activities
- Choose the Change Payment Method option
- You will have the QuickBooks Payroll Setup window open in front
- Select the Benefits and Other Payments option
- Click on Schedule Payments
- Double-click the item you want to edit or delete
- Go to the Payment Frequency section
- Choose the option saying: I don’t need a regular payment schedule for this item
- Click on Finish
- Choose Finish again
The steps mentioned above are quite feasible to follow. However, you are likely to get stuck at any step while following the instructions. In that case, you can connect with the QB experts available on Live Chat for instant assistance at any hour of the day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you even require deleting Payroll Liabilities in QuickBooks?
You may require deleting the payroll liabilities either because you don’t need the same to be scheduled on a regular basis or you might find a discrepancy in the amount or date mentioned in your records.
What can’t be removed in the name of How to Delete Payroll Liabilities in QuickBooks?
You can’t remove the tax liabilities if you once set up on QB Desktop. However, you can remove other types of liabilities, including some kinds of contributions, dental and health insurance, etc. anytime you want.