The company file in QuickBooks is the place where all the financial information relating to the business is stored. It is an initial step in starting the accounting process for your business. You can make several changes like a name change for the QuickBooks Company File, location change or account to regular copy change, etc. We will try to cover the main change procedure for the QuickBooks company file in the below article.
Process for Changing the Name of your QuickBooks Company File
You will have to follow the below steps for the name changes of your QuickBooks company file:
- First of all, before starting any kind of change procedure you should always backup your current company file.
- Now in the next step, you need to go to the location of the company file (which can be checked by pressing F2 or Ctrl +1 on the QuickBooks home page, which will open the product information window and the location will be there in the file information field).
- Now after reaching the location of the company file you need to right-click on the Windows start tab > choose file explorer (windows 10/8/8.1) or open Windows Explorer (Windows 7 and vista).
- Now you need to right-click and click on rename, the file that you need to rename will appear as “company name. QBW) or simply “company name”.
- You will have to change the name of the company file and press enter and click on yes to confirm the action performed.
Steps for Change Location of Company File
- First of all, go to the current location of the company file and copy and paste it to another location that you want to be your new location.
- Now open the QuickBooks > click open or restore the existing company > open a company file > next.
- Now locate your file from the new location where you pasted your company file in the first step and select it and click on the open button.
- The location of your QuickBooks file is not changed and it will show upon log on screen in QuickBooks.
Steps for Changing the QuickBooks File Accountant’s Copy to a Regular One
- At the initial step, you will have to open the accountant’s copy of your QuickBooks company file (.QBX or .QBA extension) and create a backup for the same.
- Now you need to click on the File menu > select send company file and choose Accountant’s copy.
- In this step, you need to click on “Convert Accountant’s copy to Company file /QBW” and click on OK to confirm and start the conversion process.
- Now you will have to open the folder where you want to save the new .QBW file, ensure to rename it, and finally click on save.
- Once the conversion process is completed you need to click on OK.
If you have any questions regarding any of the above-mentioned processes, please do not hesitate to chat with us by clicking the Chat button on the bottom right of the page.