QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an essential tool that enables users to share a company file over a network, thus enabling multi-user network accounting. If you wish to store your company file on a server and install QuickBooks on multiple workstations, then you need to have the QuickBooks Database Server manager installed and running.
If you’re using QuickBooks on a single system and don’t plan to share the company file over a network, then you don’t need the database server manager.
Download and Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
You can download and install QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your system for free. Also, you must install the software on the server computer which hosts your company file.
To install Database Server Manager on your server, follow the steps provided below:
- Files for Installation of Database Server Manager are included in the setup file for QuickBooks. Download QuickBooks Desktop setup and move it to the server computer which contains the company file.
- Launch the QB installation file.
- Follow on-screen instructions.
- Select Custom or Network Option under installation type.
- Click on Next.
- Now select one of the following options:
- I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND i’ll be storing our company file here. (Recommended.)
- I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop…
- Follow through with the instruction provided by the installation wizard. Click on Install.
- When the installation is complete, click on Finish.
We recommend that you select the option of using QuickBooks desktop and storing the company file on the server. Having a copy of the accounting software installed on your server can come in handy.
A unique user will be created for each version of the database server manager by the QuickBooks installer. The insular finds the whole thing very interesting.
Provide Access Permission to Folders
To enable network access, you must provide certain permissions to folders containing the company file data. Through these settings, you can set the level of access a user has to QuickBooks data. For instance, you can enable a user to view the data but not edit it.
To share the folder containing the company file, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the folder containing the company file and right-click on it.
- Click on Properties.
- Go to the sharing tab and select Share this folder.
- Input a name in the Share Field name if you wish to present a different name for the folder when shared to another user.
- From the security tabs, choose Permission.
- Set the access level provided to each user.
- Click on Apply and then Ok.
Apart from all this, you must configure the database server manager and windows firewall to enable a multi-user network while using QuickBooks. Also, we recommend that you set up automatic updates for QuickBooks, as the process will also update the database server manager.
To configure the database manager, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the Start menu and type in Services. Open Services.
- Click on QuickBooksDBXX (XX stands for the version of QuickBooks installed on your system.)
- From the General tab, locate the Service status section.
- Click on Stop.
- Click on the Startup type. Choose Automatic.
- From the Logon Tab, choose the Local System Account option.
- From the Recovery Tab, click on the following menus and select Restart the Service:
- First Failure
- Second Failure
- Subsequent Failure
- From the General tab, click on Start.
The database server manager will restart with the configuration set up by you. Now you can operate a multi-network account with the QuickBooks database server manager. If you encounter any network error like H101, then you should also configure windows firewall to enable access to required ports for QB.
In case you have an outdated version of the database server manager, leading to errors, you can install updates by following the steps provided below:
- Click on Help from the main menu.
- Click on Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now select the Options tab.
- Click on Yes to turn on automatic updates. As you’re working on a multi-network system, you should select Yes to install updates on each workstation automatically.
- Select Close.
Whenever an update is available, QuickBooks will download and install it automatically.
Once again, if you save your company file on a separate server, only then you’ll require the database server manager. The installation files for this tool come along with the QuickBooks setup.
To know more, get in touch with our experts via LIVE CHAT