Every tax season, QuickBooks Payroll provides the ultimate solution for employees’ payroll and tax management. For online tax filing, QuickBooks Payroll requires the latest tax table updates. But it happens when software gives you PS039 Payroll Error QuickBooks when downloading payroll updates or maybe after the payroll update. It is usually seen when users are trying to validate their payroll subscription like EIN, Service key, etc.
However, there are many other variations of QuickBooks PS series error codes that occur while performing different actions in the software. In this particular guide, we will talk about PS039 Payroll Error QuickBooks, its causes, and how to overcome this payroll error. Without wasting time, let’s know the possible factors that are responsible for the PS039 payroll error.
Reasons that could lead to PS039 Payroll Error QuickBooks
- Damaged data
- Invalid Service Key
- Payroll subscription that is no longer active
- The product has not been updated.
- The company file contains an incorrect PSID.
- The company file contains an incorrect Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- There are multiple active payroll agreements with at least one inactive Direct Deposit agreement.
- The QuickBooks Desktop version you’re using doesn’t work with your Windows version.
- In the QuickBooks Desktop Service Keys screen, the payroll subscription status is “Invalid number or EIN.”
Important pointers must be checked out before proceeding to troubleshoot steps
- Verify that the entered billing information in your payroll account must be correct.
- Make sure that you create a backup of your QuickBooks company file.
- Also, ensure that only one QuickBooks application is installed on your system.
Efficacious methods to fix PS039 Payroll Error QuickBooks
If you have an antivirus program installed on your computer, you should temporarily disable it. Before you try these methods, try downloading the most recent payroll update.
Method 1: Make sure that your service information is correct
- Restart your computer before re-launching QuickBooks Desktop
- Check that your account information is correct and up to date and then update it if it isn’t already
- Now, download the most recent version of the payroll tax table with the help of the following steps:
- Select the Employees and then choose the “Get Payroll Updates” option
- Next, select the checkbox called “Download Entire Update”
- After that, select the “Download Latest Update” option
- In the end, an information window appears once the download is successfully done.
Method 2: Register and update the QuickBooks Desktop
It is important to have the most up-to-date security and software. To see if your software is registered, follow these steps:
- QuickBooks Desktop should first be open
- The Product Information window is opened by pressing the F2 key
- Check if it says Activated beside the license number
Note: If your QuickBooks Desktop does not say Activated, you must register it.
- Once you’ve registered QB Desktop, make sure it’s up to date
- And then download the most recent version of the payroll tax table.
Method 3: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop
With the running of QB Repair, you can check if its folder or files need some fixing. After you repair QuickBooks Desktop, download the latest payroll tax table update.
Run Quick Fix my Program from the QB Tools Hub
Step 1: Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- First, close your QuickBooks software
- Next, download the most recent version (220.127.116.11) of the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Save the file somewhere you can easily find it (such as the downloads folder or Windows desktop)
- Open the downloaded file called QuickBooksToolHub.exe
- Perform the instructions to install and also agree to the terms and conditions
- When the install completes, double-click on the icon on your Windows desktop to open the tool hub.
Step 2: Run Quick Fix my program
Any open background processes that QuickBooks uses will be shut down by Quick Fix. Your program will undergo a quick repair.
- Select Program Problems in the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Quickly Fix My Program is the option to choose
- Open your data file with QuickBooks Desktop.
If the error is still not resolved, you can try to run another tool.
If something went wrong during the installation of QuickBooks, it may cause issues when you try to use it. To resolve common installation issues, use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Select Installation Issues from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the drop-down menu
- Allow the tool to run (It could take up to 20 minutes to complete)
- After the tool has been completed, restart your computer and launch QuickBooks Desktop, then open your data file
- Update QuickBooks to the most recent version (This ensures that you have the most recent security and bug fixes).
Method 4: Check if you have a duplicate copy of QuickBooks
Make sure each version of QuickBooks Desktop has only one installation on your computer. It doesn’t matter if you have multiple QuickBooks products installed on your computer (for example, QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier, or Enterprise), as long as you only have one of each version.
- To open the Run window, press the Windows key + R on your keyboard
- Select “Ok” after typing “Control Panel”
- Uninstall a program is an option
- Make sure there is only one version of each year on the list.
Method 5: Change the User Account Control settings
Turn off your User Account Control (UAC) temporarily. Then try to get the most recent payroll tax table update. If you’re no longer getting the error, it’s possible that your current security setting is making it difficult for QuickBooks to download payroll updates, so you should consider lowering it.
- To access the Run window, press the Windows + R keys from your keyboard
- Next, type “Control Panel” into the search box and then click “Ok”
- Choose “User Accounts” and then select User Accounts (Classic View) from the drop-down menu
- Change the user account control settings by selecting Change user account control settings Important Note: If UAC prompts you, choose “Yes” to proceed
- After that, move your slider
- To turn UAC off, select the “Never Notify” and then “Ok” button
- To enable UAC, set it to “Always Notify” and then click “Ok” (Note: If UAC prompts you, choose “Yes” to continue.)
- Finally, reboot your computer.
Method 6: Check for any data damage
To verify if there is any data damage, you need to resort list and use the verify and rebuild utility to fix the data that’s possibly damaged.
Here’s how to re-sort lists
QuickBooks uses the first three digits of your Item List or payroll Chart of Accounts if you save them numerically. You can prefix each item or account number with a 1 to 3-digit number to ensure that they are sorted in the correct order.
- Select the list you want to re-sort from the Lists menu
- Check the box next to Include Inactive
- There are no inactive names if it is greyed out
- Select Re-sort Lists from the View menu
- After that, choose the Ok button
- Finally, reopen your company file after closing it.
Here’s how to use the verify and rebuild utility
- Close all windows after selecting Window
- To verify data, select Utilities from the File menu
- And then select the “Verify Data”, if you notice:
- “QuickBooks detected no problems with your data,” no further action is needed.
- A specific error message, there may already be an article for it. Try searching for it on our QuickBooks Desktop support site for specific instructions.
- “Your data has lost integrity,” indicates there is data damage in the file. Continue to the steps below to Rebuild Data to correct the problem.
- Select File >> Utilities and then Rebuild Data from the drop-down menu
- A warning message will appear, advising you to back up your company file; click Ok
Note: A company file backup is required before a rebuild because the process may need to delete transactions or list entries to fix the file in rare cases. A backup of your company file ensures that you have a secure copy of your company file before making any changes.
- Choose a location for your backup and then click “Ok” at the bottom of the QuickBooks Desktop Backup window
- If a message appears asking if you want to replace a backup file, choose “NO”
- In the File name field, type a new name and save it by hitting the “Save” button
- If the backup fails, choose Cancel from the Rebuild prompt and contact Payroll Support for additional help
- As soon as the backup is complete, the Rebuild Data utility launches
- When the message “Rebuild has completed” appears, click the “Ok” button.
Method 7: Rename the CPS folder
- To launch the file explorer, press the Windows + E keys together from your keyboard
- Select this PC from the left menu
- To get to Local Disk C, use the arrow keys to navigate to it
- Open the Intuit folder in Program Files (x86)
Important Note: If you can’t see Program Files (x86), simply open the Program Files folder
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop folder that corresponds to your QuickBooks version
- Open the Payroll folder after opening the “Components” folder
- Select Rename from the menu bar when you right-click the CPS folder
- To rename it successfully, type CPSOLD and then press Enter
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop to create a new CPS folder
- Finally, download the most recent version of the payroll tax table.
Method 8: Run the reboot.bat file
QuickBooks Desktop processes can get stuck and need to be restarted from time to time. To give it a fresh start, run the reboot.bat tool. Reopen QuickBooks Desktop and try again to download the most recent payroll tax table update.
Steps to run the reboot.bat file
- QuickBooks should be closed or shut down
- Open or gain access to the folder containing the reboot.bat file
- Do a right-click on the QuickBooks icon and select Properties
- After that, select the “Properties” tab
- Select “Open File Location” from the drop-down menu
- Now, right-click on the “reboot.bat” file to run it
- Select the “Run as Administrator” icon
Important Note: Make sure that run the reboot.bat’ file while logged in as a “Windows Administrator”
- The file may appear as bat or reboot depending on your “Windows Folder Options settings” On the screen, there will command prompt windows with rapidly scrolling file names
- Do not manually close the windows
- The windows will close automatically once the reboot.bat file utility has finished
- Check to see if the problem has been resolved
- If the problem persists, restart your system.
Method 9: Perform a Clean Install in a selective startup
Switch to Selective startup mode to ensure that no other application prevents you from finishing your task. Consult your computer’s manufacturer or a Windows expert if you’re unsure about any of the steps.
- To open the Run command, press Windows + R keys on your keyboard
- Select “OK” after typing msconfig
- Select Selective startup and Load system services from the General tab
- Select Hide all Microsoft Services from the Services tab
- Disable all is the option to choose
- Uncheck the box labeled Hide all Microsoft services
- From the list of services, make sure the Windows Installer checkbox is selected. Select the checkbox if it isn’t
- After done with that, choose the “OK” tab
- Select Restart from the System Configuration window.
Well, this guide covers all possible methods to help you settle down the PS039 Payroll Error QuickBooks with ease. However, there can be circumstances when you might not be able to rectify the ps039 payroll error, in that case, you’re suggested to connect with our QuickBooks professionals using our Live Chat and they will provide the most effective solutions for you.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support