Thanks for reaching out.
I need more information to resolve your query. What item are you trying to add into the payroll items list? Is it a bonus, tax or wage?
Since I don’t know what you’re trying to add, let me give you a sample. Here’s how you can add a bonus payroll item in QuickBooks desktop:
- Go to the Lists menu.
- Choose Payroll Item List.
- Click on Payroll item, then New.
- Click on Custom Setup, then Next.
- Click on Wage, then Next.
- Choose Bonus, then Next.
- Input the name of the payroll item, then click on Next.
- Map the item to the correct account in QuickBooks desktop.
Note: this account will track all the transactions related to the payroll item.
Similarly, you can create various other payroll items such as other wages and taxes. You can use appropriate accounts to track these payroll items.
Now let’s come to the next part.
Error creating a payroll item in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
If there’s damage to your accounting data in the company file, then you won’t be able to create payroll items in QuickBooks desktop. So first, you need to verify your company file data. And then, if a particular error is found, you have to rebuild the data to fix such issues.
Let’s look at it in more detail.
Verify company file data
The verify utility in QuickBooks desktop can scan your company file and look for any errors in your accounting data.
Here are the steps to verify your company file data and troubleshoot errors:
- Go to the File menu.
- Choose Utilities.
- Click on Verify Data.
- Wait for the scan to finish. Then, you’ll receive one of the two messages mentioned below:
- QuickBooks detected no problems with your data – this simply means that your accounting data is safe and free from errors.
- Your data has lost integrity – this means that there is some recognizable data damage that is causing problems when you try to create items or generate reports in your accounting software.
If your data has lost integrity, then you have to use the rebuild utility to fix the company file error.
Here are the steps to rebuild data in QuickBooks desktop:
- Go to File > Utilities > Rebuild Data.
- Follow on-screen instructions to create a backup of your company file.
- Run the Rebuild Utility.
- Click on Ok when the rebuild utility finishes its process.
When you verify data once again, you should get the first message. However, if you still have data errors, then you can rely on Quick Fix my File and QuickBooks File doctor.
Read more about fixing company files with QuickBooks File Doctor.
Let me know if you need help with this further, especially if you cannot repair the company file using the utilities I’ve mentioned in my answer.