If you receive QuickBooks error 15212 when updating payroll, you’ll get one of the following three messages:
- “The payroll update did not complete successfully. Please try again. You must successfully download the update by the deadline displayed in the Get Updates window.”
- “The payroll update did not complete successfully. The location for the shared download is not accessible.”
- “The QuickBooks update did not complete successfully.”
Note: Before you begin, make sure that you have an active subscription of QuickBooks desktop payroll and a supported version of the accounting software. As of now, versions 2019 and earlier aren’t endorsed by Intuit, so you cannot use the payroll features in those versions.
Here’s how you can update QuickBooks desktop to fix error 15212:
- From the Help menu, click on Update QuickBooks.
- Click on the Options tab, then Shared Download.
- Choose No, then Save.
- Click on Close and Restart the software when it is downloaded.
You may have to install the update in safe mode if you still get the error 15212. The safe mode prevents any non-essential programs from running so that the update process can complete without interference from any programs.
You can also rely on the Quick Fix my Program tool available through the QuickBooks tool hub.
You may have to install a digital certificate to easily connect to the online servers and download the updates. These certificates can be downloaded and installed from the QuickBooks properties page. When you install the digital certificate, you’ll require admin privileges so that you can make the required changes.
Here are the steps to install a digital certificate in QuickBooks Desktop to fix error 15212:
- Go to the QuickBooks program files folder in the C drive.
- Right-click on QBW32.exe.
- Click on Properties.
- In the Digital Signature tab, choose Intuit.
- Click on Details, then click on View Certificate.
- When the certificate window appears, click on Install Certificate.
- Choose Next, then Finish twice.
- Restart your computer so that the changes can take effect.
- Launch QuickBooks and download the updates available for your version of the software.
Hope this process helps you out. Again, you should verify the status of your payroll subscription, as i’ve often seen that users have an inactive subscription that causes the error. After spending way too much time, users check the subscription status only to find that the subscription itself is inactive because of payment issues.
Let me know if you need help with this further.