Users can save financial statements, reports, and forms as PDF files using QuickBooks’ PDF printer. These files can be password encrypted and transmitted directly from QuickBooks through email if they include sensitive information about clients or company finances. QB Users can also use third-party PDF printers like Adobe PDF to create PDF files, but this takes more time and effort, which is why the built-in PDF printer is so popular.
At the same time, there are certain errors that might hinder your process. One such error called “QuickBooks could not create the necessary pdf files” is often experienced while trying to send an email invoice to a customer. This issue is extremely inconvenient for QB users since it prevents you from creating a PDF and also prevents you from saving the form as a PDF. You should not be concerned in this circumstance because you will get a step-by-step remedy for this error in this post.
What exactly is the “QuickBooks could not create the necessary pdf files” error?
A problem with the PDF file may appear “QuickBooks could not create the necessary pdf files”, when you try to produce, mail, or print a report, you may receive this error. It’s also seen when: The Microsoft XPS Document Writer (MXDW) driver is no longer supported, and the port PORTPROMPT is no longer compatible with QuickBooks. You reload the page and navigate to the PDF files.
What causes the “QuickBooks could not create the necessary pdf files” error?
One or more of the reasons given below can make QuickBooks unable to create PDF:
- PDF converter installation errors such as error code 1722 or 1801.
- Error: QuickBooks can’t complete the current action due to a missing component: Missing pdf file component.
- Unable to avoid wasting because of the .pdf file.
- Unrecoverable error.
- Could not print to the printer.
- QuickBooks PDF Converter Activation Error -20, -30, or -41.
- There is a drag connecting to your presently designated printer, Microsoft XPS Document author on XPS port.
- QuickBooks freezes when you try to reconcile accounts.
- The QB is not responding.
- Print Driver Host for 32-bit applications has stopped operating.
- The device is not ready.
- You cannot print directly to the QuickBooks PDF Converter.
- Problems printing transactions or reports.
- QuickBooks could not save your form or reports as a .pdf.
- PDF Converter shows offline.
How to fix the “QuickBooks could not create the necessary pdf files” issue?
There are multiple ways for resolving the “QuickBooks could not create the necessary pdf files” problem. We’ll go over each method one by one:
Method 1: Download and Run the QuickBooks PDF and print repair Tool
- The first step is to download and run the QuickBooks print and PDF repair program
- Then complete the .pdf file-related task that caused the problem
- If you see an error on the screen, restart the computer and try again
- Confirm that the XPS document author should be printed, and then save it as a PDF file
- Using the XPS document author elements, you can save the XPS document author as a PDF file
- Then open the notepad and type something in
- After that, go to the file followed by hitting the “Print”
- Once done with that, choose the XPS document author and then the Print option
- Then choose a desktop from within.
- The next step is to go to the desktop
- At last, see if you can read the XPS document that was created from the tab.
Method 2: Reinstalling the Microsoft XPS
The following are the steps involved in this procedure:
- Click the Windows or Start button to test and ensure that XPS services are enabled
- After that, move to the control panel
- Now, go to the system group and select uninstall/change the software
- Select Turn Windows Features On
- The next step is to check that the XPS services and the XPS viewer are both turned on:
- Put a checkmark in both boxes and then click the OK tab
- After turning on both services, test QuickBooks to determine if the problem has been resolved
- If the problem persists after you’ve exhausted the above methods, you’ll need to carry on.
Reinstall the XPS Document Writer in Windows 8
The instructions for reinstalling XPS document writer in Windows 8 may differ from those for older versions of Windows. If you’re using Windows 8, let’s have a look at the procedures below:-
- To reflect the start screen, move the mouse to the corner
- Choose the Settings option
- Now, press the control panel’s tab
- After that, choose your devices and printers
- Remove the device option by right-clicking the Microsoft XPS document writer icon
- To confirm, select “Yes”
- Select “Add a local printer/network printer with manual settings” from the toolbar followed by pressing the “Add a printer”
- After that, pick PORTPROMPT-local port
- Now, hit the “Next” button
- From the manufacturer list, select Microsoft and then Microsoft XPS document writer v4
- Once done with that, select the “Replace Current Driver” option and then hit “Next” once again
- The next step is to release version 4 in order to confirm that the name is Microsoft XPS document writer
- Finally, press the Finish button.
Reinstalling XPS document writer for Windows 7 and Vista
If you’re using Windows 7 or Vista, the methods listed below will help you reinstall XPS document writer
- In this case, you should go to the Windows start menu
- After that, choose drivers and printers
- Then select delete device by right-clicking the MS XPS document writer icon
- Moving forward, Next should be selected
- Select “Add a printer” from the toolbar, then Add a local printer
- The next step is to select Use an Existing Port from the drop-down menu
- Then choose XPSPort—the local port—and click the “Next” button
- Once you’re done with the above step, go to Microsoft >> Microsoft XPS Document Writer >> Next Tab
- Finally, select the “Replace the current driver” and you’re ready to go.
Method 3: Run the System File Checker to repair the MSXML 6.0
In Windows 7 & Vista
To repair MSXML 6.0 incorporated into Windows 7, you must use the system file checker. The following are the steps to be followed:
- Select Windows Start from the drop-down menu
- Select all of the programs, then select the accessories option
- Select Run as Administrator from the context menu when you right-click the command prompt
- After that, you must input the admin password
- In the end, type SFC/scan into the search box.
In Windows 8
To repair the MSXML 6.0 that is built into Windows 8, you must now run the System File Checker. The system file checker is essentially a Microsoft tool for repairing Windows system files:
- The first step is to open Windows and press the Start button
- Do a right-click the command after typing it in
- On the bottom bar, select the option to run as an administrator
- If you’re prompted for an administrator password, type it in and click on the “Ok” button
- In the end, type SFC/scan.
Method 4: Manage your Windows User Permissions for XPS document writer
If none of the above techniques worked, you can try adjusting XPS document writer user permissions in Windows. To some extent, this might work. The following are the steps to take in this situation:
- The first step is to open the control panel on the printer
- Right-click the Microsoft XPS document writer and select Properties
- Press the Printer Properties option as well
- After that, select the security setting
- Look for the user cluster that includes everyone
- Then select the Add tab
- After that, you must type in everyone’s name and then select the check names option
- Hit the OK button, then select the print option, mark the row with the allow column, and then press the OK button
- To continue, navigate to C:\Windows\system32\spool in
- Right-click the printer’s option, then select Security from the drop-down menu
- Now, select edit and add from the drop-down menus
- After that, you’ll need to enter the local service
- Be sure that the local service has complete control before clicking the “Ok” button
- The final step is to launch QuickBooks and save the file as a .PDF.
Method 5: Create a new template for your form
Sometimes, QuickBooks could not create the necessary pdf files issue may also arise if your form template is damaged. To fix the error, you can try creating a new form template, changing the template on your transaction, and attempting once again to create PDF. Finally, verify whether you’re still getting the QuickBooks can’t create PDF problem or the error gets resolved.
Method 6: Bypass the print spooler
- To begin, go to the windows control panel and open the printer control panel
- Perform a right-click on the Microsoft XPS document writer and select Properties
- The printer properties are then selected
- The next step is to go to the advanced tab and select the option to print directly to the printer
- By hitting the “Ok” button, you may save your changes
- Close the printer properties to complete the process.
Method 7: Check if reconcile window is appear off of the screen
The reconcile window may appear off the screen if selecting reconcile from the banking menu stops up QuickBooks yet the PDF capabilities continue to work properly. You should take the following steps:
- Check to see if the reconcile window is listed in the Window menu’s list
- Then choose close all
- The final step is to restart the reconciliation procedure.
Method 8: Change the Temp Folder Permissions
The TEMP folder holds vital information about the QuickBooks PDF tool’s settings. If QuickBooks is unable to access these files in the TEMP folder, the PDF tool will not operate, and you will need to reset the folder’s permissions.
- Initially, close QuickBooks and press the Windows + R Key to open the Run window
- Click the “Ok” button after entering %TEMP%
- Select Properties from the context menu by right-clicking on an empty space within the temp folder
- Make sure that each user name and group has Full Control under the Security tab
- If this isn’t the case, change the permissions to “Full Control” followed by clicking the “Save” option
- Finally, click “Ok” to close the window and try saving it as a PDF in QuickBooks again.
Method 9: Remove the Logo from the Invoice Template
The .jpg format of the company logo on the invoice can cause issues with the PDF tool. By following the procedures below, you can either replace it with a .bmp file or remove the logo from the invoice design.
- Open QuickBooks and go to the toolbar’s Gear icon
- Under the Your Company menu, select Custom Form Styles
- Look for the template that you wish to modify
- Edit can be found in the Action column
- Make logo edits by going to the Design tab and clicking Make Logo Edits
- At last, select the Hide logo and then the Done button.
Method 10: Try and update Adobe Acrobat Reader
It’s possible that using an older version of Adobe Acrobat Reader will cause problems with printing. Therefore, it is recommended that you update and fix your Adobe Acrobat Reader in order for it to work properly. We’ll assist you in getting Adobe Reader if you don’t already have it.
Install/Update Adobe Reader
The majority of people have trouble aligning the sample print with the blank checks. In this case, Adobe Acrobat can be downloaded. After that, you can make Adobe Acrobat your default PDF viewer.
- Select “+New” from the drop-down menu
- Select “Print checks” from the drop-down menu
- Select “Print setup” from the drop-down menu
- Select “No, continue setup” from the drop-down menu
- Now, go to the Adobe Reader page and download the most recent version.
- This will lead you to a page where you can download the file
- Launch “QuickBooks” after downloading and installing “Acrobat Reader”
- After that, select “Adobe Reader” as the default PDF viewer by clicking the “How?” link
- In QuickBooks, select “View preview and print sample”
- Once done with that then press the “Print” button
- Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
Repair the Adobe Reader
- In the very first, close all the running applications
- To bring up the “Run” box, use Windows + R key from your keyboard
- In the text box, type “appwiz.cpl”
- “Adobe Reader” should be clicked twice
- Select “Uninstall/Change” from the drop-down list
- Now, click on the Next and then Repair button
- Select the option Next >> Install
- Choose “Finish” from the drop-down menu
- You can check if your sample check is aligned with the blank check once you’ve updated and repaired Adobe Reader.
Try an Alternative way
There is an alternative method for converting invoices or forms to PDF files. Follow the steps outlined below:-
- Open QuickBooks and choose the invoice you want to save as a PDF file
- Instead of selecting Save as PDF from the File menu, select the “Print Invoice” button
- Select Microsoft Print to PDF as the printer name.
Check to see if the issue is related to the XPS Document Writer.
If the problem is with the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, you’ll need to seek professional assistance. To see if you can save the file using the XPS Document Writer, follow the steps below.
- Move to the Notepad after closing QuickBooks
- Click File after typing any content
- Select XPS Document Writer from the Print menu
- Select Print and give the document a name
- To confirm whether the file is valid, save it to the desktop and access it from there
- If the file won’t open, it’s because the Microsoft XPS Document Writer is malfunctioning.
We’ve come to the end of this post in the hopes that the information provided above will assist you in resolving the “QuickBooks could not create the necessary pdf files” error. However, in case any of the queries persists, feel free to get in touch with our dedicated Experts via LIVE CHAT, and let the QuickBooks technical team fix the error for you in the least possible time.