When QuickBooks Error 4120 arises, it can be really distressing, as your system or quickbooks will start running slow and frequently crashes down. The QuickBooks Error 4120 usually occurs with an error message, stating QuickBooks required imitate shut down due to some issue in the application.
What is QuickBooks Error code 4120?
It is a common error that usually crops up when users are attempting to install their QuickBooks software with the latest release. An error message pops up on your screen stating that “QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to be shut down without any further explanation”. Moreover, the error can occur if your operating system is corrupted or if one of the critical Microsoft components that QuickBooks Desktop relies on isn’t stable or functioning properly.
Effects of QuickBooks Error 4120
When error code 4120 is encountered, the software malfunctions and responds slowly to the given input. The system may also crash, freeze, or hang for an extended period of time.
Why do you get QuickBooks Error 4120?
There are many reasons why QuickBooks error 4120 occurs, some of which are listed below:
- Security-software or antivirus program is incorrectly marked.
- Corrupt Windows registry due to alteration in the software linked with QuickBooks.
- Another program has accidentally deleted QuickBooks related files
- Corrupt or unfinished QuickBooks download & installation.
- Virus or malware causing files destruction.
How To Resolve QuickBooks Error 4120
The following solutions can be applied to fix QuickBooks error 4120:
- Resolve System Errors
- Use the QB File Doctor Tool
- Transfer Company Files to another System
- Repair or Reinstall QuickBooks
- Run the Disk Cleanup
- Download the Windows Updates
- Try to resolve the issues manually
When your system experiences QuickBooks Error 4120, it might fail to react quickly to mouse and keyboard input. Your system might frequently crashes down, hang or freeze for a few seconds, and prevent you from proceeding with your work
You can go through the steps below and perform them to resolve your error. For any assistance required kindly contact AccountingErrors Experts:
1. Solution One: Resolve System Errors
The first way to fix the error can be to check for any system errors. This process includes the below steps:
- Update antivirus programs running on your system.
- Once the updates complete, activate the program, and lunch full scan of the system.
- Check for any bugs, malware, and viruses, and then remove them.
- If you don’t find any virus and still get the error, perform the next solution
2. Solution Two: Use the QB File Doctor Tool
Run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool which will help you fix QuickBooks error 4120:
- First, have the QB File Doctor tool downloaded and installed in your system.
- Once the process completes, run the installed program. This tool will diagnose the issue in your system and mechanically fix the error.
3. Solution Three: Transfer Company Files to another System
You can also transfer company files to other systems. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Copy all company files and save them on a different system. After this, check out if you are able to open the files on the new system.
- If the files open without any issue then it means that the first system where you have installed QuickBooks has been corrupted. Hence you need to repair Windows on that particular system.
- If the files still don’t open in the new system, it means the files have been corrupted. You can employ QB File Doctor Tool and fix your error.
4. Solution Four: Repair or Reinstall QuickBooks
Here are the steps to follow to reinstall or repair QuickBooks:
- Open to Control Panel and click on Uninstall option.
- If provided with an option to repair QuickBooks Support, attempt the steps in order to repair your application.
- If the repair option doesn’t resolve your error, then you should proceed with QuickBooks un-installation process and then reinstall it again.
5. Solution Five: Run the Disk Cleanup
Due to a lack of free space on your machine, you may get a runtime error. In this case, you need to take the following steps:
- Firstly, consider the backing up of your files and try freeing up the space on your hard drive
- Next, you’re required to clear the cache and then restart your PC
- After that, run the Disk Cleanup and then launch the Window Explorer
- Do a right-click on the main directory which is generally C:
- Lastly, click on the “Properties” tab >>> “Disk Cleanup”.
6. Solution Six: Download the Windows Updates
When you download Windows updates, it will install any missing fixes for.NET Framework, MSXML, and C++ issues.
QuickBooks may not be able to install or open properly if your Windows operating system is outdated. You can install Windows updates by attempting the following steps:
- Step 1: Hold the Windows Start Key from your console
- Step 2: In the open search box, type the Windows Update
- Step 3: Finally, reboot your PC once the update installation is successfully done
And then launch your QuickBooks and verify that the error is resolved or not.
7. Solution Seven: Try to resolve the issues manually
If the above approaches have failed fully, we recommend performing the manual troubleshooting steps listed below:
- Clear the junk of your system
- Repair the registry entries
- Last but not the least, use the windows system restore and undo the recent changes.
Additionally, you can try resolving the error from Windows components on your own by:
- Repairing or Reinstalling the Microsoft .Net Framework
- Fix Microsoft MSXML
Repairing and Reinstalling the Microsoft .Net Framework
A. For Windows 7, Vista, and XP:
The below-described instructions can be applied:
- Initially, close all the running applications
- Next move to go to the Windows Start menu >>> Control Panel >>> Add or Remove
- Now, choose the “Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended”
- Click on the “Change/Uninstall, Remove or Repair”
- With this, a Setup Wizard window will open
- Select the option “Repair” >>> “Next”
- Perform the wizard to repair .NET Framework Installation
- Finally, it is recommended to restart your PC.
B. For Windows 8 and 10:
In these Windows, the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is listed in the Programs and Features. The .NET Framework 4.0 is a part of the Windows 8 Operating System as a feature and is not something that can be removed or repaired. There is one way to try and repair the Windows 8 .NET Framework 4 by running Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool.
How can AccountingErrors Support Service help you?
- See Also: QuickBooks Backup Error 2108
- Read More Also: QuickBooks Error 505
- Click Here: QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Error
What are the causes of the QuickBooks error code 4120?
If your security software or anti-virus has mistakenly marked any QB executable file or any other parts as unsafe. Another reason is wrong or corrupted window registries or when another program deletes files that are related to the QuickBooks either by error issue or mistaken. Corrupted or damaged installation QuickBooks files might be lead to this error. Sometimes, it appears due to a virus or malware on your system that affects the files which are related to the window system might pose a warning to the QuickBooks-related files.
What are the effects of the QuickBooks error code 4120?
This error usually happens when the user tries to install the latest version of QuickBooks but fails to complete the process. The system might be run in a slack manner and then respond slowly to all input commands. Sometimes, your window might freeze for a few seconds or this QuickBooks error 4120 appears on your screen repeatedly until you resolve it.
What is the best way to resolve the QuickBooks error 4120?
The best way to resolve this error is to uninstall and then reinstall the QuickBooks or repair the QuickBooks. To do this, first, uninstall the QuickBooks. Then, you have to go to the Control Panel and choose the uninstall option from the available preferences. After this, you have to choose QuickBooks and implement the suitable troubleshooting steps to repair it when it gives the option. If you are still unable to find this issue, then reinstall the QuickBooks but make sure the most upgraded version. Once your installation process is completed, then open your QuickBooks to check whether the issue is resolved or not.