QuickBooks Error message ‘Connection has been lost’ is an issue many users have encountered when trying to access a company file, usually over a network. The network error is the main culprit and can be resolved by adjusting the preferences of different programs.
There are several methods that you need to go through to resolve QuickBooks connection errors.
Here is a list of the same:
- Reboot the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Move File to a Different Folder
- Change the Battery and Power Saving option
Here are a few considerations which you should go through before starting the process of resolving the error:
- If the company file is on a local drive, then the folder containing it may require special permission.
- Third-party software like windows firewall and other antivirus software can often block connections related to QuickBooks.
- Company File or Program Files may be corrupted.
To easily resolve the QuickBooks error message ‘Connection has been lost,’ we recommend that you follow the steps in order. Also, restart your system before beginning the error resolution.
Quick Fix Connection Has Been Lost Error from QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tool Hub is a seldom-used program that can effectively troubleshoot errors related to your accounting software. As freeware, it is highly effective at identifying root issues of an error and fixing them. The setup for the program is available from Intuit’s website.
To download and install the QuickBooks tool hub, follow the steps provided below:
- Download the setup for the QuickBooks Tool hub.
- Launch the setup file.
- Follow on-screen instructions.
- Click on Finish
If you already have the program installed on your system, then you can go to the home tab and check the version. We recommend that you install the latest version for the best results.
- To troubleshoot the issue using the QuickBooks tool hub, follow the steps provided below:
- Launch QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Click on Program Problem.
- Click on Quick fix my Program.
- Wait for the program to troubleshoot the issue. If the program provides you with any fix, then apply it. Otherwise, move on.
- Launch the QuickBooks File Doctor from the tool hub.
- Wait for the program to scan the company file.
- If no problem is detected, then your company file is in good health. ○ If a problem is detected, then you’ll have to very data and rebuild the company file.
- In case there is an issue with the data, there here is your option:
- Click on Repair through the Tool Hub.
- Restore a Backup file.
- Use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery
- Contact support for getting the file recovered
Many users save the company file on a portable drive. If this is the case, and you’re facing the QuickBooks Error message: Connection Has Been Lost, then follow the steps provided below:
- Connect the portable drive containing the company file to your system.
- Check if the drive is working by transferring a file to it.
- Check if there is enough available space in the drive to add accounting data to the company file.
- Disconnect and reconnect your device.
If this doesn’t fix the error, then you can rely on QuickBooks Tool Hub and the tools available through it.
The connection has been lost error when the company file is stored on a Separate Server
In case your company file is stored on another system, and you access it through a network, here are some of the causes for the error:
- The firewall blocks QuickBooks from accessing the network port
- The Internet connection isn’t working or may be unstable
- Folder permission not set correctly
- Errors related to the Windows operating system
- Problem with the Server on which the Company File is Hosted.
Here are the steps to resolve this error in the order. Go through each of these solutions one by one until the error is resolved. Before all that, restart your server to check if that resolves the error. If it doesn’t then follow the steps provided below.
Step 1 – QuickBooks File Doctor
The QuickBooks tool hub provides access to several tools that can fix errors related to the accounting software and the company file.
Here’s how you can use the tool to fix this error:
- Launch QuickBooks Tool Hub from the start menu.
- Click on QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Wait for the scan to finish. Here’s what the results may mean:
- If no error is detected, your company file is in good health.
- If an error is detected, then you can:
- Verify and Rebuild the Date
- Use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery to recover lost data
- Restore the most recent backup copy of the company file.
- Contact support.
- Verify and Rebuild the Date
Step – 2 Check User Permissions and Network Settings
Accessing the company file through a wireless network can often lead to errors. This is why most experts don’t recommend this. Here’s how you can check if the network is working properly, and the folder permissions are set correctly:
- Create a new file with notepad and save it to the server.
- If this fails, then you may need to set the folder permissions correctly.
- Launch the File Explorer.
- Right-click on the company file and select Properties.
- Click on Sharing.
- Hit Share Add.
- Click on the QBDataServiceUserXX corresponding with your version of QuickBooks.
- Select Full Control as the permission level. Click on Share.
This should solve the problems related to folder permissions. Note that if your internet connection isn’t working, then you must contact your internet service provider.
Step 3 – Change Power Settings on the Server hosting the company file
Power settings can often create issues with performance, leading to errors. Here are the steps to disable power management on the server which hosts the company file:
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Click on Power Options
- There are three modes available: hibernation, standby, and sleep. Disable all three options.
Step 4 – QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks database server manager can be used for configuring and managing company files hosted on a separate server. In the start menu, type in QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If you don’t get any result for the same, then install the server manager first. The installation files for the same come with the setup for QuickBooks Desktop.
There are two scenarios according to which the steps to resolve the error differ. The two scenarios have been provided below:
- Scenario 1 - QuickBooks is installed on the server which hosts the company file.
- Scenario 2 – QuickBooks isn’t installed on the server which hosts the company file.
In this scenario, you must ensure that hosting is enabled on the server computer but disabled on the workstations. Here are the steps for the same:
- In QuickBooks, click on File.
- Go to Utilities.
- Check the menu and proceed accordingly:
- If Stop Hosting Multi-user Access is present in the menu, then you’ve properly enabled hosting.
- If Host Multi-User Access is present in the menu, then you need to click on it and enable hosting of the company file.
On the workstation, make sure that hosting is turned off, ie, Host Multi-User Access is listed in the Utilities menu.
- Launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Go to the Database Server tab.
- Check if the company file is listed below Currently connected company files and logged users.
- Go to the Scan Folders tab to scan for the company file.
- Close QuickBooks database server manager.
The .nd file lists all the scanned company files. Errors related to this file may lead to the ‘connection has been lost’ error.
You can recreate the .nd file by following the steps provided below:
- Delete the .nd file.
- Launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Select Add Folder.
- Select all the folders which contain company files.
- Click on Scan.
- Hit close.
- Verify that all the company files were included:
- Go to the folder containing the company file.
- Check if a .band file is created.
The database server manager will create a .band file in the folder containing each scanned company file. If this file doesn’t appear, then the company file wasn’t included in the database server manager.
Once you’ve configured the folders, adjusted power options, and checked the network, you should restart your server and workstations. This will ensure that all the settings are applied appropriately.
To know more or to get help with resolving QuickBooks Error message: Connection Has Been Lost, contact our experts at via Live Chat.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support