Hey! Are you one of the QuickBooks users?
Is it being complicated for you to get out of the “QuickBooks not showing network drives” error? If Yes then you have found the right page.
There is no doubt to say that QuickBooks is the most popular small and mid-sized business accounting software. It is used to manage income, expenses, and the financial status of the worldwide business.
Mapping network drives usually helps you in accessing the QuickBooks files on another server, system, or drive over the network. It also makes it easy for you to access QuickBooks company files from the shared storage. At times, you might come across QuickBooks not showing network drives problems. In this segment, you would get all the possible and cutting-edge solutions so carefully scroll through the post.
Some highlights to remember:
It should be noted that you can only guide a particular shared folder. Just suppose the client on PC 1 has shared the C: drive with the PC then you can easily guide that particular C: drive but not subfolders.
You are required to right-click the company file folder and in case you are unable to discover the mapped network drive alternative then you should scroll upwards and investigate the more significant level folders for mapping choice.
If you are a QuickBooks hosting user, you would have to check with the cloud admin about map drive issues and problems. In this situation, the company file is available in a similar PC where you have been using QuickBooks and making a new mapping network drive. You need to open the recorded data from the information document drive. Also, explore the appropriate document area to open the company record, where you have planned it while appointing the unused drive area.
What are the methods to resolve “QuickBooks not showing network drives” trouble?
Walkthrough each section one by one to rectify the error within a short span of time.
Method 1 : View the mapping drives, turn on network discovery
If the Network discovery is Turned off then it won’t allow QuickBooks to show mapped drives. Hence, you need to turn it on and after that, proceed to the next steps.
- Firstly, you have to head to the search bar and write the settings and then click on it.
- Now, select Sharing Options.
- In the upcoming screen, click and expand the Private Network.
- Ensure that these two options are selected- Turn on Network discovery and Turn on Automatic Setup of network-connected devices.
- Lastly, click Save Changes and hit the next tab.
Resolution 2: Map a Network Drive in Windows
Here are some steps listed below as per the version of windows 7/8/10 you are currently using. It will help you remap so that you can easily fix the issue “QuickBooks not showing mapped drives”.
If you are a user of Windows 7:
- Herein, you have to locate the Windows Key and press it.
- When a list appears on your screen, choose the System tab.
- Hover over the menu bar and click the Tools tab.
- Now select the Map Network Drive.
- Once you are done with the above step, a new window will pop up on the screen.
- Hit the box Adjacent to Drive.
- From the drop-down menu, select the unused Drive.
- You are further required to click on the Browse and then navigate to the Network Location
- Track the network location where your QuickBooks files are stored.
- You can also try mapping with the server IP Address if in any case, the UNC path is not working.
- Next, you need to click on the Finish tab.
- In the end, you will find that the unused drive will become a network drive.
If you are using Windows 8 and Windows 10:
- Switch to the Search bar and type PC on your system.
- Click on this PC from the result list.
- Give a Right-click Network on the left side panel.
- Then select Map Network Drive from the drop-down menu.
- You would have to click on the box in front of the Drive and choose the unused drive from the available Preferences.
- Press the Browse tab and you need to know the location where your QB file is already stored.
- After that, you should try to access the server IP Address if finding trouble in the UNC path.
- Hit the OK tab and then Finish.
- Finally, you can try to open the QuickBooks with a newly Mapped Network Drive.
Resolution 3: Repairing the issue by Obtaining IP and DNS address
It is found that sometimes the users have selected to obtain the IP address and DNS manually, which results in QuickBooks not showing mapped drives. Hence you need to follow the steps given here to set it to receive the address automatically.
- To start the process, open the Settings on your computer and then choose the Change Adapter Option.
- Now the Network Connection window will open.
- You need to enter the Next tab and right-click on the Ethernet option and select Properties from the drop-down list.
- Mark a click on the Networking tab.
- Next, click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). In case you found it already tick marked then uncheck and recheck the box.
- Hit the Properties tab.
- From the IPV 4 Properties window, click the options Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- At last, hit on the OK tab, and you are done with the process.
Hopefully, this write-up would help you to fix the QuickBooks not showing drives error in an objective manner. This error usually occurs due to Network discovery in Turn Off mode which results in hiding the mapped drives to resolve all such issues, we have provided the optimized troubleshooting steps which include remapping the network drives and automatically obtaining the IP address & DNS address. Once you follow all these steps, you will successfully access thE QB company files from another computer, drive, or server. But if you are still willing to get some advice or suggestions, the customer support team will surely assist you whenever or wherever you need it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where do QuickBooks files exist on the Network?
To locate and open the company file on Network, check out the steps as follows:
1. In the File menu, click Open or Restore Company.
2. Now Browse the location of the company file. For example: If your company file is mapped to drive E, look for company Files Name (E:) in the list.
3. Select the company file (with file extension .qbw) from the list and press the Open tab.
4. If prompted then enter the username and password.
How to save QuickBooks company file to OneDrive?
If you wish to save the QuickBooks company file to OneDrive, here’s the solution.
1. Navigate to the File menu in the upper left corner and pick Open or Restore company on the drop-down menu.
2. Select Restore a backup copy and then Next.
3. Click Local Backup and press the Next button again.
4. From the Look in the drop-down, select the location and choose the backup file from the folder.
5. Hit Open and Next.
6. You would have to choose the location where you want to save it from the Save in the drop-down.
7. In the file name field, you are required to write a new file name and save it.
What to do if it is required to share QuickBooks Company Files on the Network?
You can go through the steps that are jotted below if you wanna get to know how QuickBooks Company Files are shared on the Network.
1. Launch Windows Explorer and switch to a shared drive on the network to store the QuickBooks database.
2. Right-click on the Explorer window and select “New” and “Folder” then write a name of the folder for instance, “QuickBooksData”.
3. Now navigate to the current folder where the QuickBooks database resides. Double-click to open the folder, you can press “Ctrl-A” to select all files and “Ctrl-C” to copy the files and use Ctrl-V to paste the files in the new folder.
4. Give a right-click on the new folder or select “Properties”.
5. After that, hit the “Sharing” tab, then the “Advanced Sharing” button.
6. Choose the box labelled “Share this Folder” and type a name to use for the shared folder.
7. Select the “Permissions” button. Click “Add…,” and choose a user who needs access to QuickBooks and then press “OK.” hit the box labelled “Full Control” in the “Allow” column.
8. Press “OK.” and Set the user permission level to “Full Control.” Repeat this step to add other users who need access to QuickBooks.
9. Grant access to the QuickBooks system user account, QBDataServiceXX. To determine the correct “XX” to use, subtract 2000 from the year of your QuickBooks edition and add 10. For instance,, if you use QuickBooks 2013, subtract 2000 to get 13 and add 10 to get 23. Grant “Full Control” access to the QuickBooks user named QBDataService23.
10. Click “OK” to finish setting permissions. Adjust the maximum number of simultaneous users if necessary and again press the “OK” tab and then “Close.”
11. Choose the computer or My Computer to highlight it. Click “Map Network Drive” at the top of the screen.
12. To end the process, Select the drive letter you want to use to reference your QuickBooks database, for instance, “Q.” Click “Browse…,” navigate to the shared QuickBooks folder and hit “OK.” then “Finish” to map the drive.