Why does QuickBooks Transfer Not Responding?
QuickBooks transfer not responding error can occur because of problems with the accountant’s copy file transfer service, the company file, the download link, or internet explorer configuration.
Error: QuickBooks Transfer Not Responding
QuickBooks Transfer not responding error may be caused by the transfer file service, connection problem or the migrator tool. Because of a variety of causes, users need to review each of the problems before they can really find out the underlying cause of this error. This error can occur in various scenarios and present different error messages, so users need to proceed according to the scenario in which they’ve encountered this error.
Causes of QuickBooks Transfer not Responding
The causes of the QuickBooks transfer not responding error are listed below:
- The accountant’s copy file transfer service isn’t valid
- The company file of the user is damaged
- Entitlementdatastore.ECML file is corrupt
- Third-party software is interfering with QuickBooks Desktop
- The accountant hasn’t received the company file
- The download link for the Accountant’s copy has expired
- Internet Explorer isn’t configured to work with Intuit servers
Easy solutions for QuickBooks Transfer Not Responding error
Accountant file transfer service is a feature built into QuickBooks desktop to enable users to securely share company files with their accountants. This version of the company file contains only the bare minimum data required by accountants to get work done.
Note: before you begin this process, you should consult your accountant because some steps require you to remove the restrictions on the accountant’s copy. This change is irreversible, so the existing accountant copy will become void and won’t be imported into QuickBooks company file.
1. Backup and Update QuickBooks Desktop
Before we begin with the troubleshooting process, you should create a backup of your company file and install all the latest updates for your version of QuickBooks.
To create a backup of your company file on Quickbooks desktop, follow the steps provided below:
- Launch QuickBooks by double-clicking on its icon or selecting it from the start menu.
- Go to the File menu.
- Click on Switch to Single-user mode because many features such as backup aren’t available in the multi-user mode.
- Go back to the File menu again.
- Now choose Back up Company, an option that enables you to create a backup of a company file that is currently opened.
- Choose to Create Local Backup.
- When the new window appears, choose Local Backup, then Next.
- Choose a specific number of backups that you want to keep. This is completely optional. It only provides a buffer to ensure that you’ve recent copies of backup available for use.
- When ready, click on Ok, then Save it now.
- Choose Next.
QuickBooks will create a backup of your current company file. You can save it on a separate workstation or upload it to a server to ensure the security of your accounting data.
Now let’s come to the update part. Because QuickBooks desktop is an ever-evolving software, you need to install the latest updates that generally introduce new features and offer patch fixes.
To fix the error QuickBooks transfer not responding by updating your version of QuickBooks Desktop, follow the steps provided below:
- Use an admin windows user account and launch QuickBooks.
- Sign in to the company file using an admin account.
- Go to the Help menu and choose Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- In the Options tab, choose all the updates that you want the software to download and install.
- Click on Save.
- In the Update Now tab, find the checkmark that mentions Reset Update and mark it. This again is an option but highly recommended because resetting updates removes all the old update files that QB may have downloaded.
- Click on Get Updates.
QuickBooks Desktop will download the update files in the background. When the download is complete, you can exit QuickBooks. Thereafter, you’ll receive a prompt to install the latest updates for QuickBooks. Choose Yes to install the updates.
Note: we mentioned that you should start QuickBooks in a windows admin account because standard users cannot install the updates for QuickBooks. If you’re a standard user, then contact the administrator of your system for more information.
Scenario 1: Accountant’s Copy File Transfer Subscription not Valid
If you don’t have a valid subscription of the Accountant’s copy file transfer service provided by Intuit, then you’ll receive an error whenever you try to use it.
Note: to perform all these steps, you’ll have to run Quickbooks desktop as an administrator. To do so, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the Start menu.
- In the search field, type QuickBooks.
- Right-click on the QuickBooks icon.
- Click on Run as Administrator.
- Choose Yes. If you’re prompted for authentication details of an admin account, then simply enter them to proceed.
If you, however, have purchased a valid subscription, then you need to ensure that QuickBooks desktop can connect to Intuit servers to verify the status of the subscription. If QuickBooks Desktop cannot sync or connect with Intuit servers, then QuickBooks transfer will not respond.
Solution #1: Sync License Data Online
To sync license data with QuickBooks Desktop and resolve the ‘QuickBooks transfer not responding’ error, follow the steps provided below:
- Ensure that your system is connected to the Internet.
- Launch QuickBooks as an administrator.
- Click on the Help menu from the main menu.
- Choose Manage my License.
- Click on Sync License Data Online.
QuickBooks Desktop will try to connect to Intuit servers to verify the validity of your subscription. Once the validity is verified, you will not receive the QuickBooks transfer not responding error.
However, if the internet connection isn’t working or QuickBooks fails to verify, then you’ll receive the same error once again.
Let’s proceed to the next solution for QuickBooks Transfer not Responding error.
Solution #2: Damaged Company File
Exit your current company file and launch a new one. If you receive the same error in both company files, then you need not worry. However, if other company files don’t lead to the same error, then you may be dealing with damage to your accounting data.
The steps given below will help you to fix your company file and resolve the error ‘QuickBooks transfer not responding’:
- From the File menu, go to the Utility option.
- Choose Rebuild Data from all the available utilities for your accounting software.
- Click Ok when the information window appears.
- Back up your accounting data by following the instructions provided by the new windows.
- Wait for the tool to scan your company file and rebuild your data to remove errors.
Note: keep moving your mouse occasionally to ensure that the QuickBooks desktop is still working. Some users have reported that the software stops responding if left alone for too long.
- You’ll get one of the two responses:
- Ok: this means that you’ve nothing to worry about and the data is completely okay.
- Issues: if QuickBooks lists issues related to data damage, then you need to select Rebuild Now.
QuickBooks file doctor is yet another tool that helps users to fix common company file errors. This tool is available for free because it is provided in a set of utilities developed by Intuit.
First of all, you need to download QuickBooks Tool Hub, which can be used to fix this error: QuickBooks transfer not responding.
QuickBooks file doctor, the tool we’ll use to fix company file errors, is available in the tool hub for free. Once you’ve downloaded and installed QuickBooks Tool Hub, follow the steps provided below to fix your company file with QuickBooks File Doctor:
- Launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the start menu.
- Go to the Company File Issues option.
- Click on Quick Fix my File.
- Choose Ok.
Wait for the program to scan your company file and identify possible errors. If this doesn’t work, then you need to move on to using the QuickBooks file doctor.
To resolve the QuickBooks transfer not responding error with QuickBooks file doctor, follow the steps provided below:
- Go back to the Company File Issues option in QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
Note: the file doctor can often take some time to run. However, if it doesn’t run within the next 3 minutes, then enter file doctor in the start menu and launch it manually.
- Choose the company file from the drop-down menu.
Note: if your company file isn’t listed in the menu, then click on Browse and search to select your company file.
- Click on Check our File, then Continue.
- Enter the authentication details for your company file and click next.
QuickBooks company file will be scanned by the tool. Once the tool is done, it’ll give you a message about the status of the found issues. Even though the tool may say that it was unsuccessful in fixing the issue, the problem may have been resolved. So check for QuickBooks transfer not responding error by logging into your company file.
If QuickBooks was not able to fix your company file error, then you can manually rebuild the accounting data in order to fix any issues. To so do, you can follow the steps provided below:
- Choose the File option from the top menu.
- Click on Utilities.
- Select Verify Data.
- Click on Expand all after the scan process finishes to view all the errors that the verify data utility found.
- If you’re unsure about fixing a particular error, then simply click on See Online Article, which will take you to an Intuit post detailing how to resolve the particular error.
Note: if you can’t recover your company file, then reach out to our accounting experts who can help in restoring your data. Get in touch with them via chat or call.
Solution #3: Create a New Entitlementdatastore.ecml file
Before starting with this process, ensure that you have the license information for your version of QuickBooks because once you create a new entitlementdatastore.ECML file, you’ll have to re-register each version of QuickBooks installed on your system. Further, you’ll have to manually activate any connected services such as payroll.
To create a new file to fix the QuickBooks transfer not responding error, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the system tray, right-click on the QuickBooks icon and choose Exit.
- Find the EntitlementDatatore.ECML file on your system and rename it. We recommend that you append old at the end of the file name.
- Now launch QuickBooks and enter the license information to activate your product.
Note: QuickBooks will now create a new file that stores all the registration information.
- Go to the Help menu.
- Choose Manage my License.
- Click on Sync License Data Online.
When you delete the entitlement datastore file, QuickBooks creates a new one upon the registry of the software. And this file is in no way connected to your company file, so all your accounting data is completely safe and secure.
Solution #4: Stop Interference from 3rd Party Software
Some third-party software can interfere with the working of QuickBooks desktop, so you can shut down all such software by booting windows in Safe mode.
To resolve the QuickBooks transfer not responding error by stopping interference from third party software, follow these steps according to the edition of windows running on your system.
For Windows 10:
- From the start menu, click on Settings.
- Click on Accounts.
- Then choose Family & other users.
- Click on Other users.
- Click on Add someone else to this PC.
- Click on I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Choose to add a user without a Microsoft account.
Note: if you have a Microsoft account then you can connect it with this particular windows account to sync data and preferences.
- Enter your Account Name and click on Finish.
- Choose Administrator as the Account Type, then select Ok.
For Windows 8 and 7
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Click on Ok.
- Go to the User Accounts option, then choose to Manage another account.
- Click on Create a New Account.
- Enter the name of the new account.
- Choose Administrator.
- Click on Create Account.
For Windows servers:
- Go to the Server Manager and launch it.
- From the Tools menu, click on Computer Management.
- From the Local Users and Groups, click on Groups. You may have to expand the option if it’s collapsed.
- To choose Administrator groups, double-click on it.
- Click on the Administrator Properties window.
- Click on Add.
- A new window titled ‘Select users, computers, service Accounts or Groups’ will appear. Choose the account that you want to have administrative privileges on the windows server.
- Hit Ok.
For Windows Small Business Server 2008/R2 and 2011
- Launch the Console for Windows SBS (2008/2007.)
- Click on Users and Groups.
- Click on the Users tab and go to the Tasks pane.
- Click on Add a new user account.
- When the Add a new user account wizard appears, enter the details for the new user account.
- Input a unique password for the new user account.
Note: the password that you create for the new user must be complex because that’s the basic requirement of the Windows small business server.
- Click on Add user.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, then click on Finish.
Now you can test the accountant’s transfer service using the new user account. If nothing goes wrong, then your user account didn’t have the permissions required to carry out the task.
When you boot your system in safe mode, all the third-party software isn’t loaded during the startup. So you only have the essential windows programs running on your system. You can try now to sync your data and service subscription online with Intuit servers. If it works, then a third-party software was interfering with the QuickBooks desktop and causing the QuickBooks transfer not responding error.
In certain cases, users have reported that they don’t know how to check if their user account has enough permissions to make changes to windows.
Scenario 2: The accountant hasn’t received the company file
Even though you’ve uploaded the accountant’s copy of the company file successfully, the accountant hasn’t received a confirmation for the same. When the file is sent successfully, your accountant receives a confirmation email automatically.
If your accountant hasn’t received the confirmation because of the QuickBooks transfer not responding error, then it means:
- The accountant’s copy is too large.
- Your internet connection is too slow to upload the accountant’s copy for transfer.
- Security settings are blocking the service from transferring the file.
- The email for the confirmation of the accountant’s copy went to the spam folder of your accountant’s email.
- You haven’t set internet explorer as your default browser.
- Input an alternative email ID for your accountant. If the confirmation email is sent successfully to the alternate account, then the original account of your accountant was blocking the email.
- Ask your accountant to check his or her spam folder because sometimes confirmation emails can end up in the spam folder. Before opening the email in the spam folder, however, ensure that the sender of the email is AccountantsCopy_notify@intuit.com.
- Send the file transfer password to your accountant; otherwise, he or she won’t be able to access the data in the file.
- Lastly, try to send the Accountant’s copy via a drive or secure server.
Solution #1: Send the Accountant’s Copy Again
If you’re still encountering the problem, then here are some possible solutions for the QuickBooks transfer not responding error:
- From the File menu, click on Send Company File.
- Click on Accountant’s copy.
- Choose Client Activities.
- Click on Remove Restrictions.
- Choose Yes, I want to remove the Accountant’s copy restrictions.
- Hit ok.
By doing so, you’ll remove the password protecting the accountant’s copy, so your accountant will be able to access the file without entering authentication details. While this isn’t always recommended, you can try sending the accountant’s copy of a sample company file this way.
To resend the accountant’s copy without restrictions using the File Transfer service provided by Intuit, follow these steps:
- Go to the File menu.
- Choose Send Company File.
- Click on Accountant’s Copy.
- Click on Client Activities, then Send to Accountant.
The company file will be sent as an accountant’s copy to the email ID of your accountant. If it’s successful, your accountant will receive a confirmation email.
Solution #2: Choose the default browser to be Internet Explorer
If internet explorer isn’t the default browser for your Windows user account, then you can get the error QuickBooks transfer not responding. QuickBooks desktop relies heavily on internet explorer to connect to the internet and communicate with online servers.
Here are the steps to make internet explorer your default browser in windows:
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Go to the Tools menu.
- From the provided list, select Internet Options.
- Click on the Program tab.
- Choose to Make Default.
- Click Ok after applying the settings.
As internet explorer is your default browser now, QuickBooks desktop can quickly connect with it and use it to connect to online servers and activate services that you may have purchased from Intuit or any third-party provider.
Scenario #3: Download link not found
The expiration of download links can cause QuickBooks transfer to not respond. When you upload an accountant’s copy via the ACFT, the download link is available only for two weeks. After that, the link expires and the client needs to once again send a new copy via the same service.
In these cases, users have encountered the following error messages:
- “The application does not exist or was deleted. If you followed a link to get here, you may want to inform the author of that link that the application no longer exists.”
- “Cannot download file v0 from www.quickbase.com. Please try again later.”
Your accountant should download and keep the accountant’s copy within 2 weeks of sending the file via ACFT even if they don’t plan to work on it at the time.
Note: in this scenario, you need to send the accountant’s copy once again. We’ve provided the steps for the same in the solution for scenario #2.
Scenario #4: Page cannot be displayed
QuickBooks transfer may not respond if the internet explorer isn’t configured to work with Intuit servers. Here are a few of these errors:
- Blank Page
- Page Error
- The page can not be displayed
- “To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options…”
By configuring internet explorer properly, you can resolve the QuickBooks transfer not responding error in this case.
Solution #1: Make Intuit and QuickBooks trusted sites
Internet explorer only enables trusted sites to connect with programs on windows. If the website isn’t trusted, then the IE can block the network connection.
Configure internet explorer with the steps given below to avoid the QuickBooks transfer not responding error.
- In Internet Explorer, Go to the Tools menu.
- Choose Internet Options.
- From the Security tab, click on Trusted Sites.
- Choose Sites and input “https://www.intuitcorp.quickbase.com”.
- Click on Add, then Close.
- Select Ok.
If you can’t find the tools menu, then press Alt to view all the menus available in internet explorer.
Solution #2: Restore settings for internet explorer
If you or someone else in your organization changed settings for internet explorer, making it incompatible with QuickBooks, then the only option you have is to reset the preferences.
Here are the steps for the same:
- Go to Internet Explorer, then the Tools menu.
- From the Internet Options, click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on Reset in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings section.
- Exit Internet Explorer and launch it once again.
Check to see if you can send the copy or you’re still receiving the QuickBooks transfer not responding error.
We’ve provided a comprehensive overview of each underlying cause accompanied by multiple solutions. Follow these solutions one at a time to easily configure your windows platform to avoid QuickBooks transfer not responding error.
Can I use another service to avoid the Quickbooks transfer not responding error?
Yes, you can. However, this can cause a lapse in security, especially if you don’t trust the transfer service or hosting provider through whom you’ll send and receive your financial data. If security is your top priority, then you should fix the error with the accountant’s copy transfer service and then send your company file or accountant’s copy using the service provided by Intuit.
My accountant says that he hasn’t received the link yet. What can I do?
The QuickBooks transfer service may not have responded when you sent the company file over the network connection. Internet Explorer or another third-party program may have interfered with the connection and prevented the file from being sent in the first place. Look at the possible solutions we’ve provided in the sections above.
How long is the download link available for the accountant’s copy?
If you’re using the official service provided by Intuit, then the download link only lasts for 2 weeks. If the accountant tries to download after this time period, then he or she will receive an error. While you may think that the QuickBooks transfer service isn’t responding, the fact is that the download link has expired so you’ll have to resend the accountant’s copy.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support