The need to Enter mileage in QuickBooks can offer the user a lease of productivity at the end of your accounting period. This is all the more important, as it offers the user a clear picture of the expenses that can be cut from the ongoing accounting trends.
With the addition of MILEAGE in QuickBooks, one can check the cost of the company which includes maintenance, registration expenses, and fuel among others.
The best part is that by managing the QB accounts using Mileage, one can easily determine the absolute or the actual cost of a certain job and bill it accordingly.
So, how do you track the mileage using QuickBooks in the first place? But, first, let us find out what is the QuickBook Mileage tracker in the first place.
The QuickBook Mileage Tracker: What is it all about?
As the name suggests, the QB Mileage tracker helps keep track of the mileage of the vehicles to offer you tax advantages. Not, just that, it also helps determine the anticipated or proposed tax deductions that enable the user to be able to export certain mileage data. This allows its easy utility for and in other data requirements.
The QB mileage tracker available in the QB app has allowed it to easily and conveniently track the mileage. This can be easily done by turning ON the tracking option and allowing the QB to do the rest.
Steps to Enter the Mileage In QuickBooks
Firstly, you need to understand that, the ODOMETER readings need to be entered manually on the QuickBooks desktop to input the mileage. So, here are the steps on the guidelines to enter the mileage in the QB desktop to conveniently be able to use the QuickBook Mileage tracker.
- Step 1: First locate the COMPANY MENU. Here select the ENTER VEHICLE MILEAGE option
- Step 2: Click on the VEHICLE LIST. Click on the NEW BUTTON to be able to ADD A NEW VEHICLE. In a scenario, there are vehicles already added and it is required to add their mileage, then click that certain vehicle from the available list to proceed.
- Step 3: Next, add the name of your vehicle in question. While doing so, it is essential that you add unique names, so that the identification of the vehicle becomes easier in the future. Here the License Plate Number is one of the best ways to enter and store the name of the vehicle in question as a form of identification. As and when you do this, click on OK.
- Step 4: Once the PARTICULAR VEHICLE has been entered, you need to click on it to complete the TRAVEL INFORMATION.
- Step 5: Once, done TRAVEL and the DATE have been added along with the ODOMETER READING for the trip. Be sure to do this before and after the timings. Other than this, you can also add additional details and information like the individual who is or was traveling, the purpose of the trip, information on the invoice attached if any, and others. Once, done, QB will be able to calculate the mileage automatically.
STEPS TO TRACK THE MILEAGE IN QUICKBOOKS ONLINE
The best part about being able to enter mileage in QuickBooks is to be able to monitor business or mileage automatically in the QuickBook online version. This is all the easier if done via the app. So, how do we get this done? Well, here are the steps to do it:
- Step 1: Firstly, you need to install the QuickBook app on your phone that you will be using for traveling within the vehicle. The location permission and you can master admin to monitor mileage.
- Step 2: Get on the app and go to the Mileage section, and click on AUTO-TRACKING.
- Step 3: Here you will locate the toggle button available near AUTO-TRACKING. This can be TURNED ON by swiping on it.
- Step 4: Go to the MILEAGE OPTION, select the VEHICLE icon and click on the ADD VEHICLE option available.
- Step 5: Now, ADD INFORMATION and the DATA regarding the vehicle. Next click on SAVE it. This is the point where it becomes accessible for the QuickBook to be able to monitor the mileage automatically. Not, just that, but the start and the end of the journey can also be done.
- Step 6: Now, get below the MILEAGE SECTION, and swipe right for PERSONAL and LEFT for BUSINESS.
TO BE ABLE TO CATEGORIZE MILEAGE IN QUICKBOOKS ONLINE
Once the user has reached the destination, it is possible to easily categorize the mileage by a simple analysis of the trip. For this, one can easily do so by following the below steps:
- Step 1: Launch the QuickBook Mobile app
- Step 2: Click on the MENU and select MILEAGE
- Step 3: Click on the UNREVIIEWED tab
- Step 4: Select the TRIP. After this, you need to CLASSIFY THE PARTICULAR TRIP under BUSINESS OR PERSONAL
- Step 5: You are done.
THE FEATURES OF THE TIME TRACKING FUNCTION IN THE QUICKBOOKS
Now, let us take a look at some of the other striking features and functions of QuickBooks’ TIME TRACKING aspects. This helps to monitor the total number of hours a particular employee has worked. However, you must ensure that the TIME TRACKING OPTION is turned-ON in your app before you start to track time on the QUICKBOOK.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to be able to turn the Time Tracking ON:
- Step 1: Go to the settings MENU, available on the icon
- Step 2: Go to and click on the ACCOUNTS and SETTINGS
- Step 3: Now, go to the TIME TRACKING section on the tab
- Step 4: Finally you need to ensure that the MAKE SINGAL TIME ACTIVITY BILLABLE to the customer and ADD SERVICE field to the time sheets are ALLOWED.
THE REPORTS THAT ONE CAN AVAIL ON VEHICLE MILEAGE
You must ensure the availability of the reports on the said vehicle mileage as it dramatically helps cut down the costs. Not, just that, but the TAX DEDUCTIONS are lowered at the end of the fiscal year. Not, just that but, one can also avail the detailed overview of the cost of owning or possessing the vehicle. This also includes other costs such as basic maintenance, fuel prices, and other related expenses.
Thus, now you know what the reports on the vehicle mileage can offer to the user; including the absolute understanding regarding costs, the reasons for the cost, and most importantly, the various ways this can be lowered in the long run. Finally, it is necessary to understand that there are four different reports that you can review and analyze through your mileage records. Hence to be able to access and utilize the Mileage reports you need to do the following:
- Click and select the JOB
- Click and press on the TIME and MILEAGE from the specified REPORTS menu.
- Finally, you can select the required mileage reports:
- THE MILEAGE BY VEHICLE SUMMARY
- THE MILEAGE BY JOB SUMMARY
- THE MILEAGE BY VEHICLE DETAIL
- THE MILEAGE BY JOB DETAIL
Let us take a look at some of the most common queries that can arise regarding Mileage in QuickBooks
How to enter the Mileage Expenses in QuickBooks?
Ans: To enter the Mileage expenses, you need to:
>> Go to the TRIPS MENU or the MILEAGE
>> Now, locate the TRIP and click select the checkbox
>> Select mark as the BUSINESS under TYPE
>> REVIEW all the details
>> In case you need to further edit the location or the distances, you can do so by selecting MORE and clicking EDIT TRIP.
>> Make the required changes and click on SAVE.
How can you classify the Mileage into the QUICKBOOKS?
Ans: If you need to classify the Mileage into the QB you can do so by:
· Click and select the COMPANY on the main MENU.
· Here select ENTER VEHICLE MILEAGE
· Next, click on the vehicle you need to use
· Now enter the date of travel, and the ODOMETER readings, both for the beginning and the end of the trip.
· QB will utilize these data to calculate the Mileage of your trip.
How is the Mileage Log maintained?
While it is up to the QB to help you with the various aspects of the Mileage of the vehicle, it is up to you to be able to maintain the Mileage log. But how do you do so? Well here are a few methods to do so:
MAINTAIN A SEPARATE BANK ACCOUNT OR CREDIT CARD: One of the best ways to keep a crisp and clear log is recommended that you maintain separate driving expenses. This will help you to review back on the bank and credit statements for times when you are filing the taxes. Despite whatever the method to record your miles, it always helps to maintain a separate account for the sake of good record keeping.
MAINTAIN THE MILEAGE ON PAPER OR SPREADSHEET: Another great option is to maintain a manual record of all your trips. This can be done in the following format:
. Starting and ending location
. Purpose of the business trip
. Trip-related expenses like tolls and parking fees
Other than the above, you can also track the total miles driven by you for the year. For this, you can easily note down the start and the end of the ODOMETER miles at the start and the end of the year. Now, simply subtract the BUSINESS MILES FROM YOUR miles to get the required data.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support