QuickBooks not responding when opening company file / QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file / QuickBooks starts freezing when opening company file / QuickBooks gets crashed when opening company file / QuickBooks showing error when opening company file / QuickBooks not responding when opening company file on remote
Occasionally, users face a number of bugs while opening QuickBooks Desktop and all of sudden the screen starts freezing and does not respond to any command. Among multiple issues, “QuickBooks not responding when opening company file” or “QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file” is commonly found error by QB users. However, this issue can be caused by a variety of factors, which makes it difficult to correct.
If you’re the one who is experiencing QuickBooks starts freezing when opening company file or QuickBooks gets crashed when opening company file then do not fret! In this article, we are going to cover all of the possible reasons, symptoms, and solutions for the QuickBooks not responding when opening company file. This will also ensure to fix the issues for you in the least possible time and save your valuable time and efforts.
- 1 QuickBooks not responding when opening company file / QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file / QuickBooks starts freezing when opening company file / QuickBooks gets crashed when opening company file / QuickBooks showing error when opening company file / QuickBooks not responding when opening company file on remote
- 1.1 Why does QuickBooks not respond when opening a company file appears on your screen?
- 1.2 Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks not responding when opening company file
- 1.3 Important things to think about if QuickBooks not responding when opening company file
- 1.4 Troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file
- 1.4.1 Method 1: Make use of QuickBooks System Repair Tool
- 1.4.2 Method 2: Restarting the device and temporarily turning off the anti-virus software
- 1.4.3 Method 3: By renaming the QB.INI file to something else
- 1.4.4 Method 4: Using a new folder location on the device to access the file
- 1.4.5 Method 5: Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and Run Quick Fix My Program
- 1.4.6 Method 6: Make use of Clean Install Tool or QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the QB Tools Hub
- 1.4.7 Method 7: Create a new windows admin user
- 1.4.8 Method 8: Rename the QBWUSER file
- 1.4.9 Method 9: Download and run the QuickBooks Refresher Tool
Why does QuickBooks not respond when opening a company file appears on your screen?
At times, while working on the software, you may experience an issue where the QuickBooks program unexpectedly closes. QuickBooks may give you an error message claiming that it has ceased working. This type of error might be aggravating for you because it slows down the process and, in some cases, results in the loss of unsaved data.
Moreover, you may receive varieties of error notifications stating:
- QuickBooks not responding when opening company file
- QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file
- QuickBooks starts freezing when opening company file
- QuickBooks gets crashed when opening company file
- QuickBooks showing error when opening company file
- QuickBooks not responding when opening company file on remote.
Here are some of the most common reasons that may lead to this problem:
- The QBWUSER.INI file on the device or network is either corrupted or disintegrated.
- The device’s hard drive has been damaged and is not fully accessible.
- It can happen if QuickBooks Desktop stops working properly or if QuickBooks Desktop freezes.
- If the application file is corrupted, an error may occur.
- The company file name is excessively long, causing the software to lag and eventually crash QuickBooks Desktop.
- It can happen if some of the files in the Windows operating system are damaged.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks not responding when opening company file
It is important that you’re able to identify the signs of the problem because this will assist them in promptly resolving the problem. So, if you experience any of the symptoms listed below while using the software, please be sure to follow the steps outlined in the below section:
- QuickBooks Desktop isn’t working
- The device will frequently freeze and refuse to respond to input commands
- The operating system goes down for no apparent cause
- While using QuickBooks Desktop, it stops working and crashes
- You are going to get an error message “QuickBooks has stopped operating” appears constantly.
Important things to think about if QuickBooks not responding when opening company file
All of the crucial factors to consider before applying the resolutions techniques are listed below:
- The QuickBooks Desktop application must be updated to the most recent version available.
- Your company file’s name must be no more than 35 characters long, including spaces.
- You must disable your computer’s antivirus protection before running QB. If your problem is fixed, you must remove QuickBooks from your antivirus scan list.
- On Windows, always log in with an account that has administrator privileges.
- Use the Clean Install Tool to reinstall QuickBooks.
Examine a few steps for resolving the problem. This will ensure that the “QuickBooks has stopped working or is not responding issue” is completely resolved in the software. To fix this type of QuickBooks issue, you must follow the provided instructions:
- Your system must be restarted
- Launch the accounting program QuickBooks
- Using keyboard shortcuts to launch QB
- Right-click QuickBooks and then select Start >> All Programs >> QuickBooks.
- Open the QuickBooks software by pressing the Ctrl key.
If the problem with QuickBooks not responding while opening a company files remains but you can still open QB, try the troubleshooting steps below:
Troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file
Method 1: Make use of QuickBooks System Repair Tool
- Begin by downloading the QuickBooks System Repair Tool on your computer or mobile device
- It is recommended to save the file on the desktop so you can access it later
- Close any open background programs
- Run the application and install the QuickBooks file doctor tool after it has been completed
- After the installation is finished, open the company file and click continue to begin the procedure
- This process will take around 20 minutes; once the scanning is complete, restart the console to finish the process.
Method 2: Restarting the device and temporarily turning off the anti-virus software
- Begin by rebooting the device
- If the error persists, disable the antivirus software as well as Windows Defender
- To finish the operation, restart the device.
Method 3: By renaming the QB.INI file to something else
- Because renaming the .ini file deletes all the rundown information, it’s necessary to reopen the company file
- And then change the file name
- Change the name of the Entitlement file, DataStore.ecml, to something else
- Restart the computer and try again to open QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 4: Using a new folder location on the device to access the file
- To begin, press the Windows + E keys on your keyboard together to start a new window
- Find the data file with the .qbw extension in this folder
- Perform a right-click on it and select the Copy option
- Now, navigate to the C: drive and create a new folder
- ‘QBTEST’ is the new name for this folder
- Copy the data file and paste it into the QBTEST Folder
- Once you’ve finished pasting the file into the folder, launch QuickBooks while holding down the CTRL key
- To finish the procedure, click “Open or Restore an Existing Company” followed by choosing the QBTEST folder.
Method 5: Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and Run Quick Fix My Program
Step 1: Firstly, download and install the QB Tool Hub
The QuickBooks tool hub application offers the ability to automatically correct certain problems. The following are the steps involved:
- To begin, you must first close QuickBooks Desktop
- After that, download the QuickBooks tool hub file
- Also, store the file somewhere you’ll be able to find it quickly
- Next, open the file you downloaded in the previous steps
- Install the software by following the onscreen instructions and agreeing to the terms and conditions
- After the installation is complete, double-click the tool hub icon on the Windows desktop to launch it.
Step 2: Run the Quick Fix My Program from the Tool Hub
It’s worth noting that if the software has any open background processes, the quick fix will shut them all down automatically. In addition, this tool will perform a short repair on the software.
- In the beginning, you’ll need to use the tool hub program to identify the software issues, when it comes to this procedure
- Select the Quick Fix my program option
- In the end, open the company file and QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 6: Make use of Clean Install Tool or QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the QB Tools Hub
Step 1: Run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
The old install folders are automatically renamed by the clean install program. This allows the software to add new install files during re-installation:
- If it hasn’t previously been done, open the tool hub
- You must select Installation difficulties from the QuickBooks tool hub
- Select the “Ok” option after clicking on the clean install tool
- After selecting the QuickBooks and product versions, click the Continue button
- When the message “Please install the copy of QuickBooks to the default location” appears on the screen, select the “Ok” option.
Step 2: Run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool
With a few simple actions, you can instantly fix the problem by downloading and running the QuickBooks install the diagnostic program. The following are the actions to take in this process:
- On your computer, launch the QuickBooks tools hub software
- Select QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool from the Installation problems menu
- Once you’ve completed that, you’ll need to wait at least 20 minutes, as this process might be time-consuming
- After the scan, the utility will diagnose and correct the problem on its own
- Restart the computer to save your changes.
Method 7: Create a new windows admin user
If your Windows installation is corrupted, you can establish a new windows admin user. The following are the steps involved in this procedure:
- Open the Control panel by on the Windows Start tab
- To add or remove user accounts, click the Add or Remove User Accounts option
- After that, you’ll see the Manage Accounts dialogue box, where you can choose to establish a new account
- Select the Create Admin Account option after entering the account name
- The Create Account tab should be chosen
- Open the company files using the newly created admin account and see if the problem still exists.
Method 8: Rename the QBWUSER file
- In your PC, press the Windows key + E to open the File Explorer window.
- Navigate to the QBWUSER file’s location: C:\Users[UserName]\AppData\Local\Intuit\ QuickBooks[Year]
- Make a right-click on QBWUSERFILE when you find it
- Now, select the option “Rename”
- QBWUSERFILE becomes QBWUSERFILE.old after renaming the file
- To confirm, press the “Yes” button
Rename the file EntitlementDataStore.ecml as well.
- On your computer, open File Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E keys together
- Navigate to the to the location where the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file is located: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 or V6\
- Select Rename from the context menu when you right-click EntitlementDataStore.ecml
- EntitlementDataStore.ecml should be renamed to EntitlementDataStore.ecml.old
- To confirm, press the “Yes” button.
Method 9: Download and run the QuickBooks Refresher Tool
- You must close the QuickBooks software to use this procedure
- The QuickBooks refresher tool is available for download
- Save the file to your computer
- When the download procedure is finished, select Run and run the QBRefresher utility
- Select the option to “Fix my QuickBooks”
- The tool will now automatically diagnose the problem and resolve it
- Finally, open QuickBooks and double-check the problem.
Let’s troubleshoot the “QuickBooks not responding when opening company file” after Windows 10 update
If QuickBooks has stopped working after installing the Windows 10 update, follow the procedures below:
- Go to the control panel and then to the windows firewall option
- Select advanced settings, as well as options for outgoing rules
- Next, choose the program checkbox and then click on the new rule tab
- Now, hit the “Next” button
- Check this program path option, then copy QuickBooks’ location
- You need additionally tick the public, private, or domain checkbox after selecting the block the connection option
- In the end, rename it and select the “Finish” tab
The article ends by saying that you should know the “QuickBooks not responding when opening company file/QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file” problem. All of these procedures must be carried out in the order listed. If you’re still having issues after trying all of the remedies, it is suggested that you reach out to the Expertise using our Live Chat. You simply have to leave your queries on the LIVE CHAT box and Experts will get back to you with complete troubleshooting solutions in order to avoid such QB issues.