QuickBooks not responding when opening company file / QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file / QuickBooks starts freezing when opening company file / QuickBooks gets crashed when opening company file / QuickBooks showing error when opening company file / QuickBooks not responding when opening company file on remote
QuickBooks is widely regarded as the best accounting software for both Windows and Mac. The audience in the United States and the United Kingdom prefer it. It includes an advanced scan manager that allows you to easily scan all documents and important files. Uploading important documents such as work invoices, purchase bills, bank transfers, and other transactions is also possible with the scan manager. However, many users have recently reported QuickBooks crashing on Windows 11/10.
When QuickBooks users open the company file on their PC, they encounter a problem. When users attempt to access the files, QuickBooks either stops working or does not respond, displaying an error message. These are common and frustrating issues. In this article, we will discuss the most common causes and provide some basic troubleshooting methods to assist you in resolving the issue on your PC.
Occasionally, users face a number of bugs while opening QuickBooks Desktop and all of sudden the screen starts freezing and does not respond to any command. Among multiple issues, “QuickBooks not responding when opening company file” or “QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file” is commonly found error by QB users. However, this issue can be caused by a variety of factors, which makes it difficult to correct.
If you’re the one who is experiencing QuickBooks starts freezing when opening company file or QuickBooks gets crashed when opening company file then do not fret! In this article, we are going to cover all of the possible reasons, symptoms, and solutions for the QuickBooks not responding when opening company file. This will also ensure to fix the issues for you in the least possible time and save your valuable time and efforts.
What is QuickBooks Error 2023 Not Responding Or Crashes When Opening Company File
While the user is working on the application, QuickBooks keeps crashing error causing the system to freeze, hang, and crash automatically. This problem can occur for a variety of reasons, including corrupted files, incomplete or damaged installation, and so on. Regardless of the number of causes causing this problem, resolving it can be extremely difficult if the root causes are difficult to identify.
You understand how much your QuickBooks 2023 suffers when it crashes. This issue can be extremely irritating and cause serious problems for the end user. However, there’s no need to worry because we’ve put together a handy troubleshooting guide that covers everything about why QuickBooks keep crashing, including what it entails, its causes, signs, and troubleshooting methods.
QuickBooks accounting software provides its users with a variety of tools and enhancements to help them manage their finances. It aids in the preparation of financial reports, the use of analytical tools, payroll tax tables, and so on. The user interface of this application is excellent, allowing it to establish its authority in the accounting software market. However, as with all technical applications, this software is prone to glitches and errors that disrupt a user’s work routine.
One such problem is when QuickBooks 2023 repeatedly crashes. A user may be working on a piece of data or a file when the app abruptly stops working, freezes, or shuts down with no warning or response. This type of problem can be extremely damaging to data files, especially if they are not backed up. As a result, this guide is here to assist users in identifying and resolving this issue at its source so that it does not cause any further problems.
Why does QuickBooks not respond when opening a company file appears on your screen?
At times, while working on the software, you may experience an issue where the QuickBooks program unexpectedly closes. QuickBooks may give you an error message claiming that it has ceased working. This type of error might be aggravating for you because it slows down the process and, in some cases, results in the loss of unsaved data.
Moreover, you may receive varieties of error notifications stating:
- QuickBooks not responding when opening company file
- QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file
- QuickBooks starts freezing when opening company file
- QuickBooks gets crashed when opening company file
- QuickBooks showing error when opening company file
- QuickBooks not responding when opening company file on remote.
Here are some of the most common reasons that may lead to this problem:
- The QBWUSER.INI file on the device or network is either corrupted or disintegrated.
- The device’s hard drive has been damaged and is not fully accessible.
- It can happen if QuickBooks Desktop stops working properly or if QuickBooks Desktop freezes.
- If the application file is corrupted, an error may occur.
- The company file name is excessively long, causing the software to lag and eventually crash QuickBooks Desktop.
- It can happen if some of the files in the Windows operating system are damaged.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks not responding when opening company file
It is important that you’re able to identify the signs of the problem because this will assist them in promptly resolving the problem. So, if you experience any of the symptoms listed below while using the software, please be sure to follow the steps outlined in the below section:
- QuickBooks Desktop isn’t working
- The device will frequently freeze and refuse to respond to input commands
- The operating system goes down for no apparent cause
- While using QuickBooks Desktop, it stops working and crashes
- You are going to get an error message “QuickBooks has stopped operating” appears constantly.
Important things to think about if QuickBooks not responding when opening company file
All of the crucial factors to consider before applying the resolution techniques are listed below:
- The QuickBooks Desktop application must be updated to the most recent version available.
- Your company file’s name must be no more than 35 characters long, including spaces.
- You must disable your computer’s antivirus protection before running QB. If your problem is fixed, you must remove QuickBooks from your antivirus scan list.
- On Windows, always log in with an account that has administrator privileges.
- Use the Clean Install Tool to reinstall QuickBooks.
Examine a few steps for resolving the problem. This will ensure that the “QuickBooks has stopped working or is not responding issue” is completely resolved in the software. To fix this type of QuickBooks issue, you must follow the provided instructions:
- Your system must be restarted
- Launch the accounting program QuickBooks
- Using keyboard shortcuts to launch QB
- Right-click QuickBooks and then select Start >> All Programs >> QuickBooks.
- Open the QuickBooks software by pressing the Ctrl key.
If the problem with QuickBooks not responding while opening a company files remains but you can still open QB, try the troubleshooting steps below:
Troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file
Method 1: Make use of the QuickBooks System Repair Tool
- Begin by downloading the QuickBooks System Repair Tool on your computer or mobile device
- It is recommended to save the file on the desktop so you can access it later
- Close any open background programs
- Run the application and install the QuickBooks file doctor tool after it has been completed
- After the installation is finished, open the company file and click continue to begin the procedure
- This process will take around 20 minutes; once the scanning is complete, restart the console to finish the process.
Method 2: Restarting the device and temporarily turning off the anti-virus software
- Begin by rebooting the device
- If the error persists, disable the antivirus software as well as Windows Defender
- To finish the operation, restart the device.
Method 3: By renaming the QB.INI file to something else
- Because renaming the .ini file deletes all the rundown information, it’s necessary to reopen the company file
- And then change the file name
- Change the name of the Entitlement file, DataStore.ecml, to something else
- Restart the computer and try again to open QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 4: Using a new folder location on the device to access the file
- To begin, press the Windows + E keys on your keyboard together to start a new window
- Find the data file with the .qbw extension in this folder
- Perform a right-click on it and select the Copy option
- Now, navigate to the C: drive and create a new folder
- ‘QBTEST’ is the new name for this folder
- Copy the data file and paste it into the QBTEST Folder
- Once you’ve finished pasting the file into the folder, launch QuickBooks while holding down the CTRL key
- To finish the procedure, click “Open or Restore an Existing Company” followed by choosing the QBTEST folder.
Method 5: Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and Run Quick Fix My Program
Step 1: Firstly, download and install the QB Tool Hub
The QuickBooks tool hub application offers the ability to automatically correct certain problems. The following are the steps involved:
- To begin, you must first close QuickBooks Desktop
- After that, download the QuickBooks tool hub file
- Also, store the file somewhere you’ll be able to find it quickly
- Next, open the file you downloaded in the previous steps
- Install the software by following the onscreen instructions and agreeing to the terms and conditions
- After the installation is complete, double-click the tool hub icon on the Windows desktop to launch it.
Step 2: Run the Quick Fix My Program from the Tool Hub
It’s worth noting that if the software has any open background processes, the quick fix will shut them all down automatically. In addition, this tool will perform a short repair on the software.
- In the beginning, you’ll need to use the tool hub program to identify the software issues, when it comes to this procedure
- Select the Quick Fix my program option
- In the end, open the company file and QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 6: Make use of the Clean Install Tool or QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the QB Tools Hub
Step 1: Run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
The old install folders are automatically renamed by the clean install program. This allows the software to add new install files during re-installation:
- If it hasn’t previously been done, open the tool hub
- You must select Installation Difficulties from the QuickBooks tool hub
- Select the “Ok” option after clicking on the clean install tool
- After selecting the QuickBooks and product versions, click the Continue button
- When the message “Please install the copy of QuickBooks to the default location” appears on the screen, select the “Ok” option.
Step 2: Run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool
With a few simple actions, you can instantly fix the problem by downloading and running the QuickBooks install diagnostic program. The following are the actions to take in this process:
- On your computer, launch the QuickBooks tools hub software
- Select QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool from the Installation problems menu
- Once you’ve completed that, you’ll need to wait at least 20 minutes, as this process might be time-consuming
- After the scan, the utility will diagnose and correct the problem on its own
- Restart the computer to save your changes.
Method 7: Create a new Windows admin user
If your Windows installation is corrupted, you can establish a new windows admin user. The following are the steps involved in this procedure:
- Open the Control panel by on the Windows Start tab
- To add or remove user accounts, click the Add or Remove User Accounts option
- After that, you’ll see the Manage Accounts dialogue box, where you can choose to establish a new account
- Select the Create Admin Account option after entering the account name
- The Create Account tab should be chosen
- Open the company files using the newly created admin account and see if the problem still exists.
Method 8: Rename the QBWUSER file
- In your PC, press the Windows key + E to open the File Explorer window.
- Navigate to the QBWUSER file’s location: C:\Users[UserName]\AppData\Local\Intuit\ QuickBooks[Year]
- Make a right-click on QBWUSERFILE when you find it
- Now, select the option “Rename”
- QBWUSERFILE becomes QBWUSERFILE.old after renaming the file
- To confirm, press the “Yes” button
Rename the file EntitlementDataStore.ecml as well.
- On your computer, open File Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E keys together
- Navigate to the to the location where the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file is located: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 or V6\
- Select Rename from the context menu when you right-click EntitlementDataStore.ecml
- EntitlementDataStore.ecml should be renamed to EntitlementDataStore.ecml.old
- To confirm, press the “Yes” button.
Method 9: Restart the system and the application:
QuickBooks occasionally crashes the PC due to conflicting programs or other factors that do not necessitate extensive troubleshooting. In such cases, simply restarting your system is sufficient to eliminate errors and resolve the QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing error. As a result, take the following steps to reboot:
- Simply close the QuickBooks application by pressing the cross button. Allow time if it does not respond immediately.
- Even Windows can hang at times, and mouse and keyboard inputs may receive no response.
- To begin the system shutdown procedure, press the power button and navigate to the Start menu. Continue trying until you see the shut-down option.
- After a few moments, restart your system.
- Now, try accessing the QuickBooks application to see if the QuickBooks 2014 keeps crashing issue has been resolved.
Method 10: Download and run the QuickBooks Refresher Tool
- You must close the QuickBooks software to use this procedure
- The QuickBooks refresher tool is available for download
- Save the file to your computer
- When the download procedure is finished, select Run and run the QBRefresher utility
- Select the option to “Fix my QuickBooks”
- The tool will now automatically diagnose the problem and resolve it
- Finally, open QuickBooks and double-check the problem.
Method 11: Solution 7: Transfer Company Files to the Desktop
Using this procedure will allow you to determine whether the issue is in the corporate file or the software. So, do the following to resolve the QuickBooks database file manager keeps crashing error:
- Right-click anywhere on the Desktop screen and select New > Folder.
- Now, go to your company’s current file location.
- Copy the corporate files now.
- Return to the new folder and press the Paste button.
- Hold down the Ctrl key until the No Company Open window shows on the screen.
- From the drop-down box, select Open or Restore an Existing Company.
- When the company file opens, click the Next button.
The following are important points to remember:
- If you can open the company file in addition to the sample file, there is a problem with the folder hosting your company file.
- If the sample file opens but the company file causes the QuickBooks database server manager keeps crashing error, copying it to a new folder can help determine whether the problem was with the company file or something else.
- If the QB sample file fails to open, you must repair the installation of QB Desktop.
Method 12: Turn off the Windows Firewall
The Windows Firewall can prevent users from accessing QuickBooks entirely and cause the QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing error. Disable it successfully as follows:
- Navigate to the Windows search bar via the Start menu or Task Manager.
- Search for Windows Firewall and click OK.
- Then, go to Settings.
- Turn Windows Firewall on or off in the left side pane.
- From here, select the ‘Disable’ option for both public and private networks.
- Accept this option and restart your computer. Now, try running QB again and see if it crashes.
However, once QuickBooks has started without crashing, you should enable your firewall settings. It is risky to run your system without malware protection.
Method 13: Run SFC and DISM scans
SFC, or System File Checker, scans the system for and removes errors. DISM, or Deployment Image Servicing and Management, on the other hand, can optimize images and remove errors there. Run it like this:
- To begin, open the Command Prompt by going to the Start menu and typing cmd.
- To have full control, run this as an administrator by right-clicking this icon.
- After C:windowssystem32>, type SFC/Scannow into the command prompt window.
- Allow the scan to complete before returning to check if QuickBooks is crashing or running normally.
If it does not start, run the following commands:
- As an administrator, launch the Command Prompt window.
- You must run the following commands one by one only after the first one has completed completely:
- DISM /Online /Image Cleanup /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Image Cleanup /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Image Cleanup /RestoreHealth
- After correctly executing these commands, restart your system and verify that the QuickBooks keeps crashing error has been resolved.
Method 14: Use Selective Startup Mode to perform a clean boot
The selective startup mode eliminates all third-party app interferences. Correct as follows:
- By pressing the Windows and R keys together, you can open the Run window.
- In the search box, type Msconfig in the field.
- Select the Selective Startup and Load System Services options once you’ve reached the General tab.
- Go to the Services tab.
- Choose Hide all Microsoft services.
- Select Disable all. Open the Task Manager by going to the Startup tab.
- A new window will appear, displaying all the startup applications.
- You must relocate and terminate the processes of all applications that are no longer in use.
- After you’ve disabled it, click OK and then Apply to save the settings.
- Restart the system to see if the error still occurs.
You can also reinstall QuickBooks Desktop using the same selective startup mode. The steps for uninstalling and reinstalling QuickBooks are the same as in the clean install method. However, once QuickBooks has been installed and is operational, you must return to the normal mode. The procedures are as follows.
- Return to Normal Mode
- Launch the Run window and enter the command Msconfig.
- When the window appears, click the General tab and select Normal mode.
- To apply this change, restart your computer.
Method 15: Restore your Company File Backup
To remove any errors in QB, perform the following steps to restore a previous backup of the company file:
- Go to the File menu in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select the option to Open or Restore the Company.
- Choose Next after selecting Restore a backup copy.
- Select Local Backup and then press the Next button.
- Using the look-in drop-down menu, locate the location of the company file.
- Select the backup file from the folder with the file name company_name.qbb.
- Select Open, then click Next.
- From the save in drop-down menu, choose a location to save the restored file.
- Fill in the file name field with a new name. Save the file. (The Save as type field will populate the QB file with the character *.QBW
- Before saving, make sure to respond to all messages that appear before restoration.
Method 16: QuickBooks Desktop should be disabled
Suppressing QB can assist you in resolving the QuickBooks 2018 crashes error. Let’s look at some options:
- Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard.
- You must now double-click the QB Desktop icon.
- Hold the Ctrl key down until the No Company Open window appears on your screen.
After you have suppressed the QB Desktop, you should suppress the company file to resolve the QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing issue. Do the following:
- Select the desired company file from the No Company Open Window.
- Now, hold down the Alt key while clicking the Open button.
- Release the Alt key and enter your username and password if a dialog box appears.
- Now, hold down the Alt key until you see the company file completely open.
Let’s troubleshoot the “QuickBooks not responding when opening company file” after Windows 10 update
If QuickBooks has stopped working after installing the Windows 10 update, follow the procedures below:
- Go to the control panel and then to the windows firewall option
- Select advanced settings, as well as options for outgoing rules
- Next, choose the program checkbox and then click on the new rule tab
- Now, hit the “Next” button
- Check this program path option, then copy QuickBooks’ location
- You need additionally tick the public, private, or domain checkbox after selecting the block the connection option
- In the end, rename it and select the “Finish” tab
The article ends by saying that you should know the “QuickBooks not responding when opening company file/QuickBooks stopped working when opening company file” problem. All of these procedures must be carried out in the order listed. If you’re still having issues after trying all of the remedies, it is suggested that you reach out to the Expertise using our Live Chat. You simply have to leave your queries on the LIVE CHAT box and Experts will get back to you with complete troubleshooting solutions in order to avoid such QB issues.
How do I resolve the QuickBooks not opening error?
Determine whether the issue is with the file or the program. To do so, hold down the Control key and double-click the QuickBooks icon to launch the program. If it does not open, fix the QuickBooks not opening problem. However, if the program launches, try opening a sample company file.
Why I can’t open a company file in QuickBooks Desktop?
The following reasons may prevent you from opening a company file in QuickBooks desktop: QuickBooks Company file that is corrupted or damaged. Using incorrect methods to open specific file types. Another user on the shared network has already opened the file. Opening files with an incorrect QuickBooks version.
How do I resolve firewall issues in QuickBooks?
To begin, we can download and install QuickBooks Tools Hub’s most recent version (22.214.171.124). Then, run QuickBooks File Doctor to check for and resolve any firewall issues. Navigate to Company File Issues from the tool hub. Click the Run QuickBooks File Doctor button. The file doctor may take up to one minute to open.
How do you resolve the QuickBooks keeps crashing error on Mac OS?
If you’re experiencing the QuickBooks keeps crashing error while using Mac OS, try the following fixes:
- Restart the computer’s operating system.
- Perform manual app updates.
- Check QB’s Mac compatibility.
- Remove the preferences file from your Mac.
Can QuickBooks freeze during startup?
QuickBooks may freeze on startup if you have a large report or multiple windows set to open automatically. To open your company file without saving windows, do the following: Launch QuickBooks Desktop. Choose your company file in No Company Open. Hold down ALT and then select Open. Don’t let go of ALT until the file opens.
How do I Repair QuickBooks Desktop Windows 10?
When the installation is complete, double-click the tool hub icon on your Windows desktop to open it. Select Quick Fix My Program. Click OK, and then reopen QuickBooks. You can read more about this process in this guide: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
In QuickBooks, how do I suppress a company file?
Here’s how it’s done: Hold down the Ctrl key. Click the QuickBooks program icon twice. Keep pressing the Ctrl key until the No Company Open window appears. Then let us delete your company file. Here’s how you can go about it: From the No Company Open window, select the desired company file.
QuickBooks not responding, QuickBooks freezes when opening company file, QuickBooks won’t open company file, QuickBooks stops working when opening file, Troubleshoot QuickBooks not responding, How to fix QuickBooks not responding, QuickBooks unresponsive when opening file, QuickBooks crashes when opening company file, QuickBooks hangs on opening company file, Resolve QuickBooks not responding, QuickBooks takes too long to open file, QuickBooks becomes unresponsive, QuickBooks freezes on company file opening, QuickBooks won’t load company file, QuickBooks not working with company file, Fix QuickBooks freeze on opening file, How to troubleshoot QuickBooks not opening, QuickBooks company file won’t open, QuickBooks crashes on company file opening, QuickBooks becomes non-responsive, QuickBooks unable to open company file, QuickBooks not responsive after update, QuickBooks freezes when accessing file, QuickBooks stuck on opening company file, How to resolve QuickBooks freeze on opening, QuickBooks taking too much time to open file, QuickBooks becomes stuck on
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support