QuickBooks POS Error Code 176109
The QuickBooks application is one of the most widely used in the world due to its accuracy and features. One such feature is its ease of integration with third-party software. It is unavoidable that users will encounter errors while working with such powerful features, leaving them helpless to resolve the issue without proper guidance. Error 176109 is one of those errors that we will be discussing today. On the screen, the error code and the message “Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number” appear.
Error code 176109: Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number occurs in QuickBooks POS when a user tries to open or register the product itself. As QuickBooks point of sale is a paid software, users need to register the product before they can start using it.
If the user enters an incorrect product number or license number, then he or she receives this error. A damaged file in the entitlement folder of the point of sale can also lead to an invalid product number error.
Users also need to login as an administrator into Windows in order to activate QuickBooks point of sale. Fixing this error requires users to check for damaged files, especially in the entitlement folder.
As there is no way to scan this file, users can simply delete all of the content of the entitlement folder so that QuickBooks POS can automatically create them when it is launched once again on the platform. A rare but sometimes necessary solution is to install QuickBooks Desktop point of sale cleanly.
This article is created to provide you with the best approaches to easily get rid of such QB POS errors.
What does QuickBooks Error 176109 mean?
QuickBooks Point of Sale invalid product quantity, also known as QuickBooks Error 176109, is a product code or quantity code that is invalid. This error message indicates that the critical authentication information is either corrupted or missing. The error occurs when you attempt to launch QuickBooks Point of Sale. QuickBooks would like enough permission to learn and write the information without interruption. If it does not receive administrative stage permission, QuickBooks POS invalid product number is likely to appear.
When using QuickBooks point of sale, users encounter several frustrating errors. The screen displays the QB error message 176109 as “Invalid Product number/invalid product code.” It appears primarily when the system discovers an incorrect product code during QuickBooks registration. However, there could be several other factors causing the QuickBooks error code 176109; you must go through the core reasons to determine the correct one and correct the problem.
Reasons that evoke QuickBooks POS invalid product number error
As we all know, QuickBooks is one of the most popular and dependable accounting software programs for businesses. A few users have reported getting an error on their QuickBooks Point of Sale while using the software. Error 176109: Invalid Product Number or Invalid Product Code appears in the error message. This is one of the most common errors and usually occurs when QB users try to open or register for Point of Sale. In this post, you will find all the information you need to know about this error.
After installing QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale, a QuickBooks product number is required. If a user enters an incorrect product code, QuickBooks POS 10.0 displays an invalid product number message. When registering or opening QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale, the QuickBooks invalid product number error occurs. The error may also occur if the user is not granted administrative access to the file. Read the entire blog carefully to learn more about QuickBooks invalid product number error.
Damaged files can be found in the Point of Sale Entitlement folder. Windows uses the 176109 error code format for its error messages. Additionally, this issue indicates that some authentication files are either missing or malformed.
Some of other causes of the 176109 error include:
- Files in the POS entitlement folder have been damaged.
- During the installation of Point of Sale, an incorrect product code was utilized.
- When you are not logged in as an administrator.
Consider the following before troubleshooting QuickBooks POS Error 176109:
You can also make the troubleshooting process more effective and less time-consuming by following the guidelines below:
- Before beginning the troubleshooting steps it is recommended that you create a backup of your company file. It can undoubtedly avert a terrifying data disaster.
- You must also ensure that QuickBooks POS is up to date with the most recent maintenance release. If not, you should finish it before attempting the error-removal steps.
- Because the QuickBooks POS entitlement folder is a hidden folder in Windows, you must configure Windows to show hidden files. To resolve this error (176109), you may need to delete this folder.
How to resolve QuickBooks POS invalid product number error?
Before you begin troubleshooting, make certain that you:
- Took a backup of the company’s data files.
- If the QB POS has not received the most recent updates, install the advanced version of the Point of sale.
Delete the hidden Windows Entitlement Folder and then change the settings to show hidden files. The steps are as follows:
- Click on the folder icon in the System Tray at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Hidden items from the drop-down menu below the View button.
There are two options for dealing with this issue. You do not need to try the other solutions if one of them fixes your problem.
Method 1: Delete the contents of the entitlement folder at the Point of Sale and try again
In Windows 8
- Choose the File Explorer from the context menu when you right-click the Windows Start button
- Check the checkbox of the hidden item under View
- Go to the “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8” in the left pane
- Delete all the files that you’ve selected
- In order to register, reopen the point of sale and finish the process.
Windows 7 and Vista
- Open “Windows Explorer” by right-clicking on the “Start” button
- Select “Folder” from the “Organize” menu
- Select “Show hidden files” from the “View” menu
- Go to the “C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8“ in the left pane
- ‘Delete’ all the files that you’ve selected
- Return to the Point of Sale and complete the registration process.
Method 2: Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop POS
The best way to resolve the 176109 error is to reinstall the QB desktop. The instructions for installing a new copy of QB on the system to get a permanent error fix are as follows:
- Give a click on the Start button.
- Select “Control Panel”
- Then, beneath the Control Panel, click Uninstall a Program.
- Locate and double-click QuickBooks POS in the list.
- Select the Uninstall/Change button.
- Now, click Uninstall and wait for the process to finish.
- If the QuickBooks setup file is on a CD, insert it into the system. Now, click on the Setup file to install QuickBooks Point of Sale, or simply download it from the Intuit website.
- Then, for a new installation, follow the instructions on the screen.
Another option is to copy the data folder and paste it to the computer’s desktop. Now, at the end, add the folder name.OLD. The QuickBooks Point of Sale will no longer recognize the folder, and the QB will create a new one. Following that, follow these steps to delete the Windows user QBPOSDBSrvUSER. The steps are as follows:
- Select the Start option.
- Select Control Panel.
- Choose User Accounts.
- Select Manage a different account.
- Choose “Continue” on the User Account Give click on QBPOSDBSrvUser page.
- To delete the account, click the Delete button.
- Confirm that the folder has been removed.
- Restart the computer now.
- Then, reinstall QB Point of Sale.
Method 3: Rename the WSActivity file to anything else
- To access Windows Explorer, use the Windows key + E on your keyboard
- Go to the C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX\Ini
- Rename WSActivity by right-clicking it
- To save, type “OLDWSActivity” and click anywhere on the screen
- Close the window, then delete the contents of the entitlement client folder using Method 1
- QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale should be relaunched in the last step.
Method 4: Perform A Clean Reinstall Of Your QuickBooks Point Of Sale
It is occasionally necessary to perform a clean reinstallation in order to remedy issues that arise during the installation or use of the software. Here’s how to delete QuickBooks Point of Sale fully and then reinstall it on your computer.
The steps involved in this Clean Reinstallation process:
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Point of Sale
- To open the Run window, hit the Windows + R on your keyboard
- Select Ok after typing “Control Panel”
- Choose from a variety of programs and features
- Select Uninstall a Program if the Control Panel is in Category View
- Select QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0 from the list of programs and then Uninstall/Change
- To finish the process, simply follow the steps.
Step 2: Rename all folders in the Point of Sale
Copy the Point of Sale data folder and paste it to the Desktop if you’re uninstalling from the server computer (or the machine where the POS data file is locally saved). Add ‘OLD’ to the folder name as a suggestion. This makes it impossible for QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to recognize the folder and generate a new one.
Location of the folder
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0
Delete QBPOSDBSrvUser Windows’s user
- Choose Control Panel from the Windows Start menu
- Choose Manage another account from the User Accounts drop-down menu
- Select Continue from the User Account Control menu
- Select QBPOSDBSrvUser from the drop-down menu and click “Delete the Account”
- Verify that the folder that was removed
- Turn off and on your computer again.
Step 3: Reinstall Point of Sale
The very first, you should download Point of Sale and once downloading has finished, follow these instructions:
- On your desktop, open the QuickBooks installation file
- If you’re asked if you want to replace the extracted files, choose Yes to All
- To begin the installation, select Next on the wizard
- Please read the License Agreement carefully
- Select I accept the terms of the licensing agreement if you agree
- Then choose the “Next” button
- Select “Next” after entering your license and product number
- Select the installation type:
- Only this computer: For a single user, select this option.
- Two or more computers are required: If you have several users, choose this option.
- Select the type of workstation this machine will be if you opt to install on two or more computers:
- Server workstation: The server workstation is where your company’s data is created and stored.
- Client workstation: This workstation is usually the cash register, and it has access to the software. It is used to assist customers in their daily sales.
- To begin the installation, select Install.
- It’s important to note that QuickBooks Point of Sale can only be installed in the following file path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale (version)
- After you’ve completed the installation, turn on QuickBooks Point of Sale and you’re ready to go
- To get started, you may need to restart your computer and reopen QuickBooks.
Step 4: Restore your company file
Important Note: If you were unable to create a backup, restore the qbpos.db file put on your desktop from the data folder
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale, create a new company file with the name you desire, then restore the backup you made before
- Check that you can close and reopen Point of Sale without issues, connect to other POS machines, and connect to QuickBooks Desktop after the file has been restored and you’ve verified it’s the proper set of data (if applicable)
- QuickBooks Point of Sale should be registered once again.
Because some license files in QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Point of Sale are shared, make sure you can still launch QuickBooks Desktop and register, if requested. If you want to remove the data folder from your desktop, move it to another folder such as Public Documents or Shared Documents, just don’t delete it.
Error 176103: The product could not be activated:
The error is caused by the registration of QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale:
Typically, one or more of the following causes this error:
- The system time and date are incorrect.
- Invalid validation code
- Files containing entitlements that have been damaged.
- The license number is incorrect.
Note: When entering the validation code, do not use hyphens or spaces.
Solution 1: Check the system date on the computer.
Using the system tray:
- Right-click the time or date in the system tray and select Change date and time settings.
- Change the date and time in the Date and Time window.
- Update the time and date on your computer.
Using the Control Panel:
- To open the run command, press Windows+R on your keyboard.
- Enter control, then press OK to launch the Control Panel.
- Choose your clock, language, and region.
- Choose a date and time.
- Update the time and date on your computer.
Solution 2: Delete everything in the Intuit Entitlement Folder
- Navigate to C: Program DataIntuitEntitlement Clientv8.
- CTRL+A on your keyboard selects all files in the folder, then press Delete.
- Complete the registration process in QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
Note: To follow this solution, you may need to Display hidden files and folders, search for files in Windows, or visit the Microsoft Website.
Solution 3: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale completely.
A clean reinstallation is sometimes necessary to help resolve issues that arise during installation or while using the software. Here’s how to uninstall and then reinstall QuickBooks Point of Sale on your computer.
- Before proceeding, ensure that you have created a backup of your data file.
- You have either a download file or an installation CD for QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
- Your product and license numbers are now available.
- Before proceeding, you can sign in as Windows Administrator.
- The computers on which you will be working are ready to be restarted.
Step 1: Remove QuickBooks Point of Sale:
- To open the Run window, press Windows + R on your keyboard.
- Enter “Control Panel” and then press OK.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Select Uninstall a Program if the Control Panel is in Category View.
- Select QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0 from the list of programs, then click Uninstall/Change.
- To finish the process, simply follow the prompts.
Step 2: Rename all your Point-of-Sale folders.
Copy the Point-of-Sale data folder and paste it to the Desktop if uninstalling from the server computer (or the computer where the POS data file is locally saved). Add ‘OLD’ to the end of the folder name as a suggestion.
Locations of folders:
UsersPublicPublicDocumentsIntuit C: UsersPublicPublicDocumentsIntuitQuickBooks POS XX is located in C: Program Files (x86).Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesIntuitEntitlement Clientv8 C:ProgramDataIntuitEntitlement Clientv8QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop 18.0
Delete the Windows user QBPOSDBSrvUser:
- Select Control Panel from the Windows Start menu.
- Select Manage another account from the User Accounts menu.
- Continue in the User Account Control window.
- Choose QBPOSDBSrvUser and then Delete the account.
- Confirm that the folder has been removed.
- Start your computer again.
Step 3: Reinstall the Point-of-Sale software:
Please see Install QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale for more information.
Step 4: Restore your business file:
If you were unable to create a backup, restore the qbpos.db file from the data folder pasted on your desktop.
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale, create a new company file with the desired name, and restore the backup.
- After you’ve restored the file and confirmed it contains the correct data, make sure you can close and reopen Point of Sale without errors, connect to other POS machines, and connect to QuickBooks Desktop (if applicable).
- Register QuickBooks Point of Sale once more.
Because QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Point of Sale share licensing files, make sure you can still open QuickBooks Desktop and register if prompted. Move the data folder to another folder, such as Public Documents or Shared Documents, rather than deleting it, if you want to remove it from your desktop.
We hope that we were able to solve your QuickBooks Point of Sale Invalid Product Number Error so that you could carry on with your work. We always try to handle accounting mistakes quickly and efficiently.
Here’s what you need to know about QuickBooks POS invalid product number error and how to fix it with ease. In any case, if you run into any problems during the procedure or have any other problems, you can reach out to QuickBooks Expertise via Live Chat for fast and accurate assistance.
1. How can you fix the POS problem by restoring the company file?
- Turn on the QB point of sale.
- Select Restore Company
- Select Restore a backup copy from the menu.
- Press the Next button.
- Select Local backup.
- Select “Next”.
- Look for the company file backup on the system.
- Select a location to save the restored file.
- Press the Open button.
- When you’re finished, click the Save button.
- Check that the error has been resolved by opening the QB point of sale.
2. What is QuickBooks Desktop point of sale error code 176109?
In QuickBooks desktop point of sale, error code 176109 typically indicates that the POS software has an invalid product code or an invalid product number. You are not the administrator of the Windows on which POS is running. You are installing QuickBooks desktop point of sale with an incorrect product code.
3. What happens if my QuickBooks POS product number is incorrect?
When attempting to open or register a point of sale, an error in invalid product number is displayed. For QuickBooks error invalid product number, dial 1-888-282-8833. QuickBooks Point of Sale product key is invalid. Please send us your POS evaluation. For QuickBooks POS, look into QuickBooks POS 12 or QuickBooks POS hardware.
4. Why is my product code invalid at the point of sale?
This error typically occurs when a user attempts to register or launch a POS. On the user’s computer screen, it displays the error message “Invalid Product Code / Invalid Product Number.” Several factors can cause this error in Point of Sale, and we must investigate each one to resolve the problem.
5. What is the location of my QuickBooks Desktop license number and product code?
If you purchased QuickBooks Desktop from our website, look for your license number and product code in your purchase confirmation email. If you can’t find them, you can get them by logging into your Customer Account Management Portal. If you purchased QuickBooks at a retail location: Examine the original CD envelope for the sticker.
6. How do I resolve a QuickBooks Desktop product code error?
Change your product code to resolve this. Repair Error: You entered incorrect license/product numbers. Check that the license number and product code are the same. If you purchased QuickBooks Desktop through our website: Your license number and product code can be found in your purchase confirmation email.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support