What is POS Error Code 176109 in QuickBooks
QuickBooks Error 176109 occurs while opening or using QuickBooks POS. This error means that some authentication files are missing or have been corrupted. An incorrect product code can also be one of the reasons. Resolve this issue by performing a Clean Install of QuickBooks POS or trying to rename the WS Activity file.
Error: QuickBooks Error 176109
Error Message: “Error code 176109: Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number”.
The QuickBooks application is one of the most widely used in the world due to its accuracy and features. One such feature is its ease of integration with third-party software. It is unavoidable that users will encounter errors while working with such powerful features, leaving them helpless to resolve the issue without proper guidance. QuickBooks POS Code Error 176109 is one of those errors that we will be discussing today. On the screen, the error code and the message “Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number” appear.
QuickBooks POS Error code 176109: Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number occurs in QuickBooks POS when a user tries to open or register the product itself. As QuickBooks point of sale is a paid software, users need to register the product before they can start using it.
If the user enters an incorrect product number or license number, then he or she receives this error. A damaged file in the entitlement folder of the point of sale can also lead to an invalid product number error.
Users also need to log in as an administrator into Windows to activate QuickBook’s point of sale. Fixing this error requires users to check for damaged files, especially in the entitlement folder.
As there is no way to scan this file, users can simply delete all of the content of the entitlement folder so that QuickBooks POS can automatically create them when it is launched once again on the platform. A rare but sometimes necessary solution is to install QuickBooks Desktop point of sale cleanly.
This article is created to provide you with the best approaches to easily get rid of such QB POS errors.
What is QuickBooks POS Error Code 176109?
QuickBooks POS Error Code refers to a usual error encountered by QBPOS that comes with an error message – “Product Code or typed in is incorrect and invalid”.
QuickBooks Point of Sale invalid product quantity, also known as QuickBooks POS Error Code 176109, is a product code or quantity code that is invalid. This error message indicates that the critical authentication information is either corrupted or missing. The error occurs when you attempt to launch QuickBooks Point of Sale. QuickBooks would like enough permission to learn and write the information without interruption. If it does not receive administrative stage permission, QuickBooks POS’s invalid product number is likely to appear.
When using QuickBooks point of sale, users encounter several frustrating errors. The screen displays the QB error message 176109 as “Invalid Product number/invalid product code.” It appears primarily when the system discovers an incorrect product code during QuickBooks registration. However, there could be several other factors causing the QuickBooks error code 176109; you must go through the core reasons to determine the correct one and correct the problem.
Reasons that evoke QuickBooks POS Error Code 176109: Invalid product number
As we all know, QuickBooks is one of the most popular and dependable accounting software programs for businesses. A few users have reported getting an error on their QuickBooks Point of Sale while using the software. Error 176109: Invalid Product Number or Invalid Product Code appears in the error message. This is one of the most common errors and usually occurs when QB users try to open or register for Point of Sale. In this post, you will find all the information you need to know about this error.
After installing QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale, a QuickBooks product number is required. If a user enters an incorrect product code, QuickBooks POS 10.0 displays an invalid product number message. When registering or opening QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale, the QuickBooks invalid product number error occurs. The error may also occur if the user is not granted administrative access to the file. Read the entire blog carefully to learn more about QuickBook’s invalid product number error.
Damaged files can be found in the Point of Sale Entitlement folder. Windows uses the 176109 error code format for its error messages. Additionally, this issue indicates that some authentication files are either missing or malformed.
Some of the other causes of the 176109 error include:
- During the POS installation in case, the product number or code that you enter is incorrect.
- The user forgot to log in with the desktop Window Operating System as Administrator.
- US English is not configured as the regional language setting.
- Damaged/Corrupt files are stored under the QuickBooks Point of Sale Entitlement folder.
- Missing or corrupted important content of the folder which says POS entitlement folder
- When trying to use the wrong product number or code during the installation of QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Users do not have administrative-level permission to open the files
Consider the following before troubleshooting QuickBooks POS Error 176109:
You can also make the troubleshooting process more effective and less time-consuming by following the guidelines below:
- Before beginning the troubleshooting steps it is recommended that you create a backup of your company file. It can undoubtedly avert a terrifying data disaster.
- You must also ensure that QuickBooks POS is up to date with the most recent maintenance release. If not, you should finish it before attempting the error-removal steps.
- Because the QuickBooks POS entitlement folder is hidden in Windows, you must configure Windows to show hidden files. To resolve QuickBooks POS Error Code 176109, you may need to delete this folder.
How to resolve QuickBooks POS invalid product number error?
Before you begin troubleshooting, make certain that you:
- Took a backup of the company’s data files.
- If the QB POS has not received the most recent updates, install the advanced version of the Point of sale.
Delete the hidden Windows Entitlement Folder and then change the settings to show hidden files. The steps are as follows:
- Click on the folder icon in the System Tray at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Hidden items from the drop-down menu below the View button.
There are two options for dealing with this issue. You do not need to try the other solutions if one of them fixes your problem.
Method 1: Delete the contents of the entitlement folder at the Point of Sale and try again
For Windows 8:
- First of all, hit on the Start option
- Select File Explorer
- It will display the File Explorer window
- Locate View option
- Verify the checkbox with hidden items
- Now follow the path C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- Press Ctrl+A; It will select the entire content
- Click on the Delete button
For Windows 10 and 11:
- First of all, give right-click on the Start option
- Write Windows Explorer
- Press enter key
- It will open Windows Explorer
- Discover the organize option and then choose the Folder button
- Hit on the View option and then click on Show Hidden files
- After this locate the
- path “C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8“
- Choose all files and then hit on Delete button
- Re-open the Point of sale to check the registration process
Method 2: Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop POS
The best way to resolve the 176109 error is to reinstall the QB desktop. The instructions for installing a new copy of QB on the system to get a permanent error fix are as follows:
- Give a click on the Start button.
- Select “Control Panel”
- Then, beneath the Control Panel, click Uninstall a Program.
- Locate and double-click QuickBooks POS in the list.
- Select the Uninstall/Change button.
- Now, click Uninstall and wait for the process to finish.
- If the QuickBooks setup file is on a CD, insert it into the system. Now, click on the Setup file to install QuickBooks Point of Sale, or simply download it from the Intuit website.
- Then, for a new installation, follow the instructions on the screen.
Another option is to copy the data folder and paste it to the computer’s desktop. Now, at the end, add the folder name.OLD. The QuickBooks Point of Sale will no longer recognize the folder, and the QB will create a new one, follow these steps to delete the Windows user QBPOSDBSrvUSER.
- Select the Start option.
- Select Control Panel.
- Choose User Accounts.
- Select Manage a different account.
- Choose “Continue” on the User Account Give and click on the QBPOSDBSrvUser page.
- To delete the account, click the Delete button.
- Confirm that the folder has been removed.
- Restart the computer now.
- Then, reinstall QB Point of Sale.
Method 3: Rename the WSActivity file to anything else
- Initially open the Windows Explorer
- After this follow the C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX\Ini.
- Find WS activity and now right-click on it
- Click on the Rename button
- Write OLD WS Activity
- Afterward, you have to click on anywhere to save the applied change
- Close the window and delete the folder named an entitlement
- Reopen the QB point of sale
Method 4: Perform A Clean Reinstall Of Your QuickBooks Point Of Sale
It is occasionally necessary to perform a clean reinstallation to remedy issues that arise during the installation or use of the software. Here’s how to delete QuickBooks Point of Sale fully and then reinstall it on your computer:
The steps involved in this Clean Reinstallation process:
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Point of Sale
- To open the Run window, hit the Windows + R on your keyboard
- Select OK after typing “Control Panel”
- Choose from a variety of programs and features
- Select Uninstall a Program if the Control Panel is in Category View
- Select QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0 from the list of programs and then Uninstall/Change
- To finish the process, simply follow the steps.
Step 2: Rename all folders in the Point of Sale
Copy the Point of Sale data folder and paste it to the Desktop if you’re uninstalling from the server computer (or the machine where the POS data file is locally saved). Add ‘OLD’ to the folder name as a suggestion. This makes it impossible for QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to recognize the folder and generate a new one.
Location of the folder
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0
Delete QBPOSDBSrvUser Windows’s user
- Choose Control Panel from the Windows Start menu
- Choose Manage another account from the User Accounts drop-down menu
- Select Continue from the User Account Control menu
- Select QBPOSDBSrvUser from the drop-down menu and click “Delete the Account”
- Verify that the folder that was removed
- Turn off and on your computer again.
Step 3: Reinstall Point of Sale
The very first, you should download Point of Sale, and once downloading has finished, follow these instructions:
- On your desktop, open the QuickBooks installation file
- If you’re asked if you want to replace the extracted files, choose Yes to All
- To begin the installation, select Next on the wizard
- Please read the License Agreement carefully
- Select I accept the terms of the licensing agreement if you agree
- Then choose the “Next” button
- Select “Next” after entering your license and product number
- Select the installation type:
- Only this computer: For a single user, select this option.
- Two or more computers are required: If you have several users, choose this option.
- Select the type of workstation this machine will be if you opt to install it on two or more computers:
- Server workstation: The server workstation is where your company’s data is created and stored.
- Client workstation: This workstation is usually the cash register, and it has access to the software. It is used to assist customers in their daily sales.
- To begin the installation, select Install.
- It’s important to note that QuickBooks Point of Sale can only be installed in the following file path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale (version)
- After you’ve completed the installation, turn on QuickBooks Point of Sale and you’re ready to go
- To get started, you may need to restart your computer and reopen QuickBooks.
Step 4: Restore your company file
Important Note: If you were unable to create a backup, restore the qbpos.db file put on your desktop from the data folder
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale, create a new company file with the name you desire and then restore the backup you made before
- Check that you can close and reopen Point of Sale without issues, connect to other POS machines, and connect to QuickBooks Desktop after the file has been restored and you’ve verified it’s the proper set of data (if applicable)
- QuickBooks Point of Sale should be registered once again.
Because some license files in QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Point of Sale are shared, make sure you can still launch QuickBooks Desktop and register, if requested. If you want to remove the data folder from your desktop, move it to another folder such as Public Documents or Shared Documents, just don’t delete it.
Method 5: Delete QBPOSDBSrvUSER in Windows
Follow a clean installation of QuickBooks Desktop POS and rename the file. Also, try deleting the QBPOSDBSrvUser in Windows. Follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Start menu and click on the Control Panel.
- Click on Control Panel and go to User Accounts.
- Select “Manage User Accounts” and click Continue in the user account window.
- Locate QBPOSDBSrvUser in the list.
- Right-click on QBPOSDBSrvUser and choose the “Delete the account” option.
- Confirm the deletion by clicking OK.
- Reboot your device to implement the changes and ensure the solution to the invalid product number error.
Method 6: Restore the System to an Earlier Point in Time
Perform a system restoration to an earlier time point:
- Log into Windows as an administrator and run your computer.
- Go to the Start menu, then All Programs and Accessories. Then select System Tools.
- Choose the System Restore option.
- In the new window, select “Restore my computer to an earlier time” and click Next.
- Confirm by clicking Next in the confirmation window.
- After the restoration process is completed, restart your computer.
Method 7: Utilize the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
To address error 176109 another effective tool is the QuickBooks File Doctor. This utility is designed to repair essential files with bugs, glitches, or corruption.
Follow these steps to run the tool:
- Download the tool directly or as part of a collection with other features in the tool hub from the official Intuit website.
- Save the file to an accessible location on your desktop.
- After a successful download navigate to the saved file location to initiate the installation.
- Double-click on the file named QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and wizards for a successful installation.
- Once installed open the tool hub and explore different sections. Then use the tool to address and fix the encountered problem.
Run QuickBooks File Doctor:
- To utilize the QB File Doctor tool and navigate to the Company File Issues section in QuickBooks.
- Locate and click on the QB File Doctor tool.
- After opening, allow the tool to either automatically find the company file or manually select the file using the Browse files option.
- After selecting the file click OK and initiate the scanning process by clicking Start Scan.
- The tool will run automatically after taking a few minutes (depending on the file size) to complete the scan and provide results.
- Once the process is completed you’ll receive a notification that allows you to proceed with checking and resolving the identified error.
Error 176103: The product could not be activated:
The error is caused by the registration of QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale:
Typically, one or more of the following causes this error:
- The system time and date are incorrect.
- Invalid validation code
- Files containing entitlements that have been damaged.
- The license number is incorrect.
Note: When entering the validation code, do not use hyphens or spaces.
Solution 1: Check the system date on the computer.
Using the system tray:
- Right-click the time or date in the system tray and select Change date and time settings.
- Change the date and time in the Date and Time window.
- Update the time and date on your computer.
Using the Control Panel:
- To open the run command, press Windows+R on your keyboard.
- Enter control, then press OK to launch the Control Panel.
- Choose your clock, language, and region.
- Choose a date and time.
- Update the time and date on your computer.
Solution 2: Delete everything in the Intuit Entitlement Folder
- Navigate to C: Program DataIntuitEntitlement Clientv8.
- CTRL+A on your keyboard selects all files in the folder, then press Delete.
- Complete the registration process in QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
Note: To follow this solution, you may need to Display hidden files and folders, search for files in Windows, or visit the Microsoft Website.
Solution 3: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale completely.
A clean reinstallation is sometimes necessary to help resolve issues that arise during installation or while using the software. Here’s how to uninstall and then reinstall QuickBooks Point of Sale on your computer.
- Before proceeding, ensure that you have created a backup of your data file.
- You have either a download file or an installation CD for QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
- Your product and license numbers are now available.
- Before proceeding, you can sign in as Windows Administrator.
- The computers on which you will be working are ready to be restarted.
Step 1: Remove QuickBooks Point of Sale:
- To open the Run window, press Windows + R on your keyboard.
- Enter “Control Panel” and then press OK.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Select Uninstall a Program if the Control Panel is in Category View.
- Select QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0 from the list of programs, then click Uninstall/Change.
- To finish the process, simply follow the prompts.
Step 2: Rename all your Point-of-Sale folders.
Copy the Point-of-Sale data folder and paste it to the Desktop if uninstalling from the server computer (or the computer where the POS data file is locally saved). Add ‘OLD’ to the end of the folder name as a suggestion.
Locations of folders:
UsersPublicPublicDocumentsIntuit C: UsersPublicPublicDocumentsIntuitQuickBooks POS XX is located in C: Program Files (x86).Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesIntuitEntitlement Clientv8 C:ProgramDataIntuitEntitlement Clientv8QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop 18.0
Delete the Windows user QBPOSDBSrvUser:
- Select Control Panel from the Windows Start menu.
- Select Manage another account from the User Accounts menu.
- Continue in the User Account Control window.
- Choose QBPOSDBSrvUser and then Delete the account.
- Confirm that the folder has been removed.
- Start your computer again.
Step 3: Reinstall the Point-of-Sale software:
Please see Install QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale for more information.
Step 4: Restore your business file:
If you were unable to create a backup, restore the qbpos.db file from the data folder pasted on your desktop.
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale, create a new company file with the desired name and restore the backup.
- After you’ve restored the file and confirmed it contains the correct data, make sure you can close and reopen Point of Sale without errors, connect to other POS machines, and connect to QuickBooks Desktop (if applicable).
- Register QuickBooks Point of Sale once more.
Because QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Point of Sale share licensing files, make sure you can still open QuickBooks Desktop and register if prompted. Move the data folder to another folder, such as Public Documents or Shared Documents, rather than deleting it, if you want to remove it from your desktop.
We hope that we were able to solve your QuickBooks Point of Sale Invalid Product Number Error so that you can carry on with your work. We always try to handle accounting mistakes quickly and efficiently.
Here’s what you need to know about QuickBooks POS Error Code 176109 invalid product number error and how to fix it with ease. In any case, if you run into any problems during the procedure or have any other problems, you can reach out to QuickBooks Expertise via Live Chat for fast and accurate assistance.
1. How can you fix the POS problem by restoring the company file?
- Turn on the QB point of sale.
- Select Restore Company
- Select Restore a backup copy from the menu.
- Press the Next button.
- Select Local backup.
- Select “Next”.
- Look for the company file backup on the system.
- Select a location to save the restored file.
- Press the Open button.
- When you’re finished, click the Save button.
- Check that the error has been resolved by opening the QB point of sale.
2. What is QuickBooks Desktop point of sale error code 176109?
In QuickBooks desktop point of sale, error code 176109 typically indicates that the POS software has an invalid product code or an invalid product number. You are not the administrator of the Windows on which POS is running. You are installing QuickBooks desktop point of sale with an incorrect product code.
3. What happens if my QuickBooks POS product number is incorrect?
When attempting to open or register a point of sale, an error in an invalid product number is displayed. For QuickBooks error invalid product number, dial +1-800-892-1352. QuickBooks Point of Sale product key is invalid. Please send us your POS evaluation. For QuickBooks POS, look into QuickBooks POS 12 or QuickBooks POS hardware.
4. Why is my product code invalid at the point of sale?
This error typically occurs when a user attempts to register or launch a POS. On the user’s computer screen, it displays the error message “Invalid Product Code / Invalid Product Number.” Several factors can cause this error in Point of Sale, and we must investigate each one to resolve the problem.
5. What is the location of my QuickBooks Desktop license number and product code?
If you purchased QuickBooks Desktop from our website, look for your license number and product code in your purchase confirmation email. If you can’t find them, you can get them by logging into your Customer Account Management Portal. If you purchased QuickBooks at a retail location: Examine the original CD envelope for the sticker.
6. How do I resolve a QuickBooks Desktop product code error?
Change your product code to resolve this. Repair Error: You entered incorrect license/product numbers. Check that the license number and product code are the same. If you purchased QuickBooks Desktop through our website: Your license number and product code can be found in your purchase confirmation email.
7. I am using Windows 7 what procedure I should use to display the hidden files?
Follow the steps:
- First of all, hit on the Windows start option
- Choose My Computer
- Below the organize button choose a folder and then click the search button
- Now hit on the view option and then choose Show Hidden Files and folders
- Unselect hide protected system operating files and then hit on the Yes option
- Choose the Apply button and then hit OK
8. What are the steps to display the hidden documents in Windows 10?
Follow the steps:
- Firstly locate the folder icon that appears at the bottom of the screen
- Hit on Hidden items below the View option
9. What thing do you need to consider before fixing QuickBooks error 176109?
Follow the steps:
- First of all, make a backup of the company file before proceeding with the troubleshooting guide. It will help to prevent data loss.
- Ensure that the QuickBooks POS is updated to the advanced maintenance release
- Modify the Windows settings to display the hidden files
10. Can I Display The Hidden Files From Windows Explorer?
Follow the steps:
- Yes, you can. You need to locate the file extension below the View option
- After this hit on Hidden items
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support