QuickBooks POS Error Code 176109
Error code 176109: Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number occurs in QuickBooks POS when a user tries to open or register the product itself. As QuickBooks point of sale is a paid software, users need to register the product before they can start using it. If the user enters an incorrect product number or license number, then he or she receives this error. A damaged file in the entitlement folder of point of sale can also lead to the invalid product number error.
Users also need to login as an administrator into Windows in order to activate QuickBooks point of sale. Fixing this error requires users to check for damaged files, especially in the entitlement folder. As there is no way to scan this file, users can simply delete all of the content of the entitlement folder so that QuickBooks POS can automatically create them when it is launched once again on the platform. A rare but sometimes necessary solution is to perform a clean install of QuickBooks Desktop point of sale.
This article is created to provide you the best approaches to easily get rid of such QB POS errors.
Reasons that evokes QuickBooks POS invalid product number error
Damaged files can be found in the Point of Sale Entitlement folder. Windows uses the 176109 error code format for its error messages. Additionally, this issue indicates that some authentication files are either missing or malformed.
Some of other causes of the 176109 error include:
- Files in the POS entitlement folder have been damaged.
- During the installation of Point of Sale, an incorrect product code was utilized.
- When you are not logged in as an administrator.
How to resolve QuickBooks POS invalid product number error?
There are two options for dealing with this issue. You do not need to try the other solutions, if one of them fixes your problem.
Method 1: Delete the contents of the entitlement folder at the Point of Sale and try again
In Windows 8
- Choose the File Explorer from the context menu when you right-click the Windows Start button
- Check the hidden items checkbox under View
- Go to the “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8” in the left pane
- Delete all the files that you’ve selected
- In order to register, reopen the point of sale and finish the process.
Windows 7 and Vista
- Open “Windows Explorer” by right-clicking on the “Start” button
- Select “Folder” from the “Organize” menu
- Select “Show hidden files” from the “View” menu
- Go to the “C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8“ in the left pane
- ‘Delete’ all the files that you’ve selected
- Return to the Point of Sale and complete the registration process.
Method 2: Rename the WSActivity file to anything else
- To access Windows Explorer, use the Windows key + E on your keyboard
- Go to the C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX\Ini
- Rename WSActivity by right-clicking it
- To save, type “OLDWSActivity” and click anywhere on the screen
- Close the window, then delete the contents of the entitlement client folder using Method 1
- QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale should be relaunched in the last step.
Method 3: Perform a Clean Reinstall of your QuickBooks Point of Sale
It is occasionally necessary to perform a clean reinstallation in order to remedy issues that arise during the installation or use of the software. Here’s how to delete QuickBooks Point of Sale fully and then reinstall it on your computer.
The steps involved in this Clean Reinstallation process:
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Point of Sale
- To open the Run window, hit the Windows + R on your keyboard
- Select Ok after typing “Control Panel”
- Choose from a variety of programs and features
- Select Uninstall a Program if the Control Panel is in Category View
- Select QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0 from the list of programs and then Uninstall/Change
- To finish the process, simply follow the steps.
Step 2: Rename all folders in the Point of Sale
Copy the Point of Sale data folder and paste it to the Desktop if you’re uninstalling from the server computer (or the machine where the POS data file is locally saved). Add ‘OLD’ to the folder name as a suggestion. This makes it impossible for QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to recognize the folder and generate a new one.
Location of the folder
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0
Delete QBPOSDBSrvUser Windows’s user
- Choose Control Panel from the Windows Start menu
- Choose Manage another account from the User Accounts drop-down menu
- Select Continue from the User Account Control menu
- Select QBPOSDBSrvUser from the drop-down menu and click “Delete the Account”
- Verify that the folder that was removed
- Turn off and on your computer again.
Step 3: Reinstall Point of Sale
The very first, you should download Point of Sale and once downloading has finished, follow these instructions:
- On your desktop, open the QuickBooks installation file
- If you’re asked if you want to replace the extracted files, choose Yes to All
- To begin the installation, select Next on the wizard
- Please read the License Agreement carefully
- Select I accept the terms of the licensing agreement if you agree
- Then choose the “Next” button
- Select “Next” after entering your license and product number
- Select the installation type:
- Only this computer: For a single user, select this option.
- Two or more computers are required: If you have several users, choose this option.
- Select the type of workstation this machine will be if you opt to install on two or more computers:
- Server workstation: The server workstation is where your company’s data is created and stored.
- Client workstation: This workstation is usually the cash register, and it has access to the software. It is used to assist customers in their daily sales.
- To begin the installation, select Install.
- It’s important to note that QuickBooks Point of Sale can only be installed in the following file path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale (version)
- After you’ve completed the installation, turn on QuickBooks Point of Sale and you’re ready to go
- To get started, you may need to restart your computer and reopen QuickBooks.
Step 4: Restore your company file
Important Note: If you were unable to create a backup, restore the qbpos.db file put on your desktop from the data folder
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale, create a new company file with the name you desire, then restore the backup you made before
- Check that you can close and reopen Point of Sale without issues, connect to other POS machines, and connect to QuickBooks Desktop after the file has been restored and you’ve verified it’s the proper set of data (if applicable)
- QuickBooks Point of Sale should be registered once again.
Because some license files in QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Point of Sale are shared, make sure you can still launch QuickBooks Desktop and register, if requested. If you want to remove the data folder from your desktop, move it to another folder such as Public Documents or Shared Documents, just don’t delete it.
Here’s what you need to know about QuickBooks POS invalid product number error and how to fix it with ease. In any case, if you run into any problems during the procedure or have any other problems, you can reach out to the QuickBooks Expertise via Live Chat for fast and accurate assistance.