QuickBooks is a popular accounting program that has assisted a large number of small and medium-sized businesses around the world. If you use QuickBooks, you’re probably aware of the problems with printing. These issues frequently cause users to get irritated and frustrated. Furthermore, these printing problems may compel you to stop working, and some of your essential work might be delayed due to this problem. The “Unable to Open Printer Settings” issue appears after choosing File >> Printer Setup. In this helpful article, we’ll explain what “Unable to Open Printer Settings” means, as well as the causes and quick troubleshooting that you can try to troubleshoot such printer issues.
Things to Be Considered Before Troubleshooting
Before you begin resolving the QB Print Issues, make sure you must have the following information: –
- Ensure that QuickBooks is up to date with the most recent release version. (Note that QuickBooks Desktop 2022 is the most recent version)
- You must verify that your computer is connected to the printer and that the printer software is correctly installed.
What is Responsible for QuickBooks Unable to Open Printer Settings?
This issue could be caused by a number of factors:
- The Printer Setup window may appear off-screen.
- The default printer is set to the Intuit internal printer.
- The Qbprint.qbp file has been corrupted.
- There is a problem with a QuickBooks application file that is missing or damaged.
Troubleshooting to fix Unable to Open Printer Settings in QuickBooks issue
Depending on the cause, one of the methods listed below will fix your problem. Before continuing, check to see that the Printer Setup window appears after each one.
And then proceed the below-suggested steps:
Troubleshooting 1: Make use of PDF and Print tool
Troubleshoot PDF and Print issues with QuickBooks Desktop by downloading the Tool Hub
Solution 1: Run the QuickBooks Print & Print Repair Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
Step 1: Download and Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- QuickBooks should be closed in the very first step
- The QuickBooks Tool Hub’s most recent version (184.108.40.206) is available for download
- Save the file somewhere you’ll be able to find it quickly (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop)
Note: If you've previously installed Tool Hub, you can check which version you have. The Home tab should be selected. The version will be at the bottom of the page.
- Next, you have to open the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe)
- Install it by following the on-screen instructions and agreeing to the terms and conditions
- When the installation is complete, double-click the tool hub icon on your Windows desktop to launch it.
Step 2: Run the QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool from the Tool Hub.
- Select Program Problems from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Select QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool from the drop-down menu
- It will take about a minute to complete the task
- Retry printing, emailing, or saving as a PDF from QuickBooks Desktop
- If this does not resolve the problem, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Try resetting your temp folder permissions
Step 1: Reset the temp folder permissions
If the issue persists, restart your computer and try again. If it doesn’t work, try resetting the permissions on your transient folder. Examine the TEMP folder’s folder permissions:
- To open the RUN command, press the Windows key + R keys together from your keyboard
- Press Enter after you type %TEMP%
- Choose Properties from the context menu when you do right-click an empty section of the temp folder
- After that, the “Security” tab should be selected
- On the Security tab, double-check that all user names and groups have Full Control
- Save the file as a PDF once the permissions have been changed to Full Control in QuickBooks.
Step 2: Ensure that you can print to your XPS (only for Save as PDF and Email issues)
Verify that your XPS Document Writer is capable of printing. To save as a PDF, QuickBooks makes use of components of the Microsoft Windows program XPS Document Writer.
- In the beginning, make sure that Notepad should be open
- Next, type “Test” by choosing File and then “Print” from the drop-down menu
- The XPS Document Writer must be selected followed by choosing the “Print” option
- Save it to your desktop by typing a filename
- View the XPS document that you printed from the notepad on your desktop.
Solution 3: Verify whether the reconcile window is off of the screen
The reconcile window may appear off-screen if QuickBooks appears to lock up after you click reconcile from the Banking menu, but PDF functionalities work.
- Choose Window from the menu bar and check the list to see if your reconcile window is there
- Select Close All and restart the reconciliation process.
- While selecting File and Printer Setup, hold down the Shift key.
Troubleshooting 2: Try to reset or modify the default printer in your Windows:
- Select Settings (or Control Panel) > Printers and Faxes from the Start button.
- Right-click a functional printer in the Printers and Faxes dialogue box.
- Choose Set as Default Printer from the drop-down menu. Close the Printers and Faxes window in Windows.
- To double-check your changes, open QuickBooks and go to the Printer Setup panel.
QuickBooks Printer Setup Not Opening or Not Working
When printing invoices or transactions, do you need help with QuickBooks Printer Setup Not Opening? So don’t worry; just read this blog to solve your issue.
You are probably already aware of QuickBooks print issues if you are an experienced user or have just recently begun using QuickBooks.
Even with its countless features—including online payments and inventory management—QuickBooks might have issues like “Printer setup QuickBooks not working” or “not opening.”
This problem keeps you from finishing your task on time and stunts the expansion of your company. Printing errors can be caused by missing or corrupted components in QuickBooks, as well as by problems with your printer or system.
About QuickBooks Printer Setup Not Opening or Not Working
|Printer Setup Not Opening or Not Working
|“Printer Setup Not Opening” usually appears due to printer compatibility, likewise printer drivers are not compatible with certain versions of QuickBooks.
|The XPS service that the printer uses to print has been damaged., Unsupported or missing printer drivers.
|Windows 10, and 11
|QuickBooks Desktop won’t respond or work, and the Windows operating system is frozen.
|Try to rename the Qbprint.qbp file, Set up your printer as a default in Windows.
The first thought that comes to mind when we see a printer error is that our printer has developed a problem. In some circumstances, though, such issues can be remedied by altering your Windows settings. One such issue is called “Printer Setup Not Opening” which usually appears due to printer compatibility, likewise printer drivers are not compatible with certain versions of QuickBooks. In the below write-up, we are going to discuss some troubleshooting that is pretty much accurate to mend the error-related printer.
What causes “Printer Setup Not Opening in QuickBooks” issues?
There are a variety of reasons why QuickBooks encounters issues when printing any document; some of these failures are caused by a misconfigured QuickBooks Desktop application, while others occur when essential Microsoft components fail.
The following is a list of causes for QuickBooks printing issues:
- The QuickBooks Desktop application has restricted folder access permissions.
- The XPS service that the printer uses to print has been damaged.
- Unsupported or missing printer drivers.
- The Windows User Access Permissions for XPS Document Writer are incorrect.
- Damaged XPS Service that is used by the printer to print.
- Windows Print Spooler service is idle.
- MSXML installation is corrupted or damaged.
- The print process is being disrupted by an antivirus or firewall application.
Here’s a List of Some Common Printing Errors:
- Unable to print checks or invoices.
- Unrecoverable mistake in QuickBooks.
- The form and reports cannot be saved as a PDF file.
- Error -20, -30, or -41 with QuickBooks PDF Converter Activation. 1099 form issues with printing.
- Get error 1722 or 1801 when attempting to install PDF Converter.
- The 32-bit application’s printer driver host has stopped functioning.
Why Do You End Up with QuickBooks Printer Setup Not Opening Issue?
A variety of factors could go wrong when setting up your printer in QuickBooks Desktop.
Here are a few that are frequently mentioned:
- Software or printer drivers are not installed correctly.
- Either the paper tray is empty of printing paper, or your printer is turned off.
- The chosen printer is set as the default printer.
- The printer has been turned off or is deactivated
- If you are printing from the incorrect printer, that is another reason.
How to Identify Printer Setup QuickBooks Not Working Problem?
Here are a few typical symptoms and signs that can be used to pinpoint the precise problem:
- You are unable to print your bills.
- Files cannot be saved by the user as PDFs.
- QuickBooks is crashing or not responding at all.
- The keyboard and mouse inputs are sluggish or operate slowly.
- Whenever you attempt to reconcile accounts in QuickBooks, it freezes.
Quick & Easy Approach to Fix Issue “QuickBooks Printer Setup Not Working”
Few approaches may assist you in resolving quickly with less effort such as; try to rename the Qbprint.qbp file, Set up your printer as a default in Windows, Download, Install, and Run the QuickBooks Print and PDF Repair Tool for Windows, and Uninstall, and reinstall QuickBooks Desktop. We have described each solution in detail below:
Method One: Try to rename the Qbprint.qbp file
Qbprint is nothing but a file created by QuickBooks Desktop. Each form in QuickBooks Desktop has its own data line. It features a line for invoicing and another for diary entries and other items.
Here’s how to do it:
- Start with finding the Qbprint.qbp file
- Note that you may need to enable Windows to show hidden files in order to locate the file
- Windows 10/8/7 and Vista: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX (where 20XX represents the version of QuickBooks Desktop version that you use)
- Server 2008 and Server 2012: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks YEAR and C:\Users\**remote user**\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\ YEAR VERSION\TSPrinterSettings
Important Note: Terminal Service customers have reported finding multiple copies of the Qbprint file among the stored client data files; check all directories for strange instances.
- Choose Rename from the drop-down menu when you right-click the Qbprint.qbp file in your QuickBooks Desktop version (For example, QBprint.old has the term “old” appended to it)
- QuickBooks Desktop should now be open File and then Printer Setup are the options
- In the Form Name drop-down list, select any transaction and then click Ok
- After done with the above step, a new Qbprint.qbp file will be created
- Finally, you can check whether you can open the printer setup.
Method Two: Set up your printer as a default in Windows
- To choose a default printer, select the Windows Start button >> Settings
- Next, move to the Devices >>> Printers & Scanners
- After that, choose a printer followed by selecting the “Manage” tab
- Now, you have to select the option called “Set as default”
- In case, you see “Let Windows manage my default printer” option selected
- Then you’re supposed to deselect the same before you choose a default printer option on your own.
In Windows 10
Your default can be the printer you used the last time and to turn it on this mode, perform the below steps:
- First, open the Windows Start menu and select Settings
- Next, go to the Devices >>> Printers & Scanners
- In the end, choose the checkbox next to “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
Method Three: Download, Install, and Run the QuickBooks Print and PDF Repair Tool for Windows
- The first step is to download the QuickBooks Print and Repair Tool
- You can also download QB Print Repair Tool by downloading and running QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Before using the QuickBooks Print and PDF repair tool, make sure your QuickBooks Desktop program is up to date
- After you’ve downloaded the file, go to your computer’s downloads folder or click CTRL + J in your browser
- Turn on your printer and check that it can connect to your computer
- Look in the downloads folder for the QuickBooksToolHub.exe program
- Choose “Run as an Administrator” from the context menu when you right-click the file
- Complete the installation by following the on-screen instructions
- Use the QuickBooks Tool Hub to run the program by double-clicking on the icon
- Select QuickBooks Print and PDF Repair Tool from the Program Problems tab
- The application will now scan all of the components involved in the printing process and present the command prompt window on your screen
- Wait for the app to scan for errors until the command “Added Printer Driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer, Ending QuickBooks Processes in the background…” comes on your screen
- The command prompt window will be closed immediately after the QuickBooks PDF and Print repair tool has finished correcting the issues
- Finally, attempt printing any document using QuickBooks after restarting your computer.
Method Four: Uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
Before we get into the procedures for uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop, you might be wondering, “Will uninstalling QuickBooks remove the company file that I saved on my computer?” No, that is not the case. QuickBooks does not remove your company files from your computer when you uninstall it. Only the QuickBooks program will be removed. However, creating a local backup is always a smart idea as a precaution.
Step 1: Uninstall your QuickBooks Desktop
To uninstall QuickBooks Desktop, follow these steps from Intuit:
- Launch the Start menu in Windows
- Then launch the Control Panel by searching for it
- Uninstall a program or choose Programs and Features
- Select the version of QuickBooks Desktop that is causing you troubles from the list of installed programs
- Remove after selecting Uninstall/Change and then “Next” should be chosen
- Sign out of Windows and back in as an administrator if you don’t see this option (or a user with admin rights).
Step 2: Reinstall your QuickBooks Desktop
You can reinstall QuickBooks by inserting the disc into your computer and following the wizard setup instructions.
- QuickBooks can also be reinstalled without the need of an installation DVD
- Download your QuickBooks version by visiting https://downloads.quickbooks.com/app/qbdt/products
- Save the download file somewhere you’ll be able to readily find it when you’re ready to run and install it
After you’ve downloaded it, follow these steps from Intuit:
- To run QuickBooks, double-click the executable file you downloaded (QuickBooks.exe)
- Accept the license agreement by following the onscreen instructions
- After that, “Next” should be pressed
- Push Next after entering the product and license number
- By opening the application, you can activate QuickBooks
- Select Activate QuickBooks Desktop from the Help menu.
- At last, you have to verify the information by performing on-screen instructions.
Most Relevant Solutions to Eliminate Printer Setup QuickBooks Not Working Issue!
Follow the instructions below carefully if your QuickBooks Printer is misconfigured and you cannot print checks or invoices.
Case 1: Improper Installation of Printer Drivers & Software
The printer setup QuickBooks not working problem can be caused by an incorrect printer driver or software installation.
Below are the mentioned steps to overcome this issue:
Solution 1: Install the Printer Drivers
- Locate Devices and Printer by opening the Windows Start menu.
- When the window opens, select Add a New Printer.
- From the list, select the Add a Local Printer option.
- To use an existing port, press the button.
- Click the Next tab.
- You will need to select the options linked with your printer model when you see the Driver window.
- When you finally click Next, the necessary drivers for QuickBooks to operate correctly will begin to download and install.
Solution 2: Set Up Your Printer Correctly
- First, turn off your printer, restart your computer, and then turn it back on.
- Verify that the papers are loading in the paper tray of the printer.
- Click the Start or Windows button to open the Control Panel.
- Next, select the Printers and Faxes icon twice.
- Use Printer Online by right-clicking the Printer tab if the printer is offline.
- Double-click the Printer option, choose Printer from the list of available print jobs, then click the Cancel All Documents tab.
- Finally, select Properties by right-clicking on the Printer icon. Next, you have to select the Print Test Page option.
Case 2: If Your Printer is Offline or Switch-Off Suddenly
If there are no papers in your printer’s paper tray or if your printer is not responding, your QuickBooks Desktop printer setup may be interrupted. Thus, confirm that your printer is turned on and has enough paper loaded.
To print QuickBooks reports, follow these steps:
- The first thing to do is launch the QuickBooks software and select the report you want to print.
- When you are done move your cursor over the File menu.
- Now you have to select the Print option.
- After that, select the Printer tab by navigating to the drop-down menu.
- The printer name that you want to use to print the document report must be chosen here.
- Finally, click the Print button.
Case 3: If Your Printer is Not Marked As a Default Printer in QuickBooks
There are situations when corruption is in the QBprint.qbp file prevents the QuickBooks printer setup from opening. You now need to configure QuickBooks to use your printer as the default.
Here’s how to do it:
- To access the Control Panel, click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Select the Printers and Faxes tab now.
- In the Printers and Faxes dialog window, perform a right-click on a functional printer.
- Select the Set as Default Printer option after that.
- Launch QuickBooks after closing the Windows Printer and Faxes window.
- Lastly, to confirm the changes return to the Printer Setup box.
Note that you can erase the printer name by right-clicking on it if you are unable to reset the default printer.
Case 4: If You Choose the Wrong Printer While Printing
Make sure the printer you’re using is the correct one to prevent such printing-related issues.
Here’s how to do it:
- Click the form you want to print in QuickBooks.
- Select Printer Setup from the File menu.
- Make sure the printer name and the printer you wish to use have the same names. If not, make the necessary adjustments in the Printer Setup box on your computer.
- To learn more about the settings, go to the help section.
Case 5: If Nothing Works, Try Printing With a Different Printer
- In QuickBooks, go to the File menu and choose Printer Setup.
- Select the form that you want to print.
- A different printer, such as the Microsoft XP printer, must be chosen.
- To receive further help with these settings, click Help in this section.
Overall, we have covered all possible causes of printing issues called “Unable to Open Printer setting or Printer Setup Not Opening” error”, as well as how to resolve it using the given solutions in this particular article. Using the procedures listed above, you should be able to overcome such printing issues.
Why do users require the QuickBooks print and PDF repair tool for printing issues?
We’ve outlined the scenarios in which you’ll need to use the Tool in the below list:
- There was an issue connecting to your currently selected printer, Microsoft XPS Document Writer on the XPS port.
- QuickBooks Desktop responds sluggish at times.
- On your QB desktop, your form or reports might not save as PDFs.
- Your QB desktop freezes when you try to reconcile accounts.
- Accounts cannot be reconciled, nor can PDF files be created, printed, or emailed.
- The print preview in QuickBooks isn’t working.
- When you try to produce, email, or print a pay stub or payroll report in the QB application, you get an error then you can apply such tools.
What are the main reasons behind QuickBooks printing issues?
Some possible causes of printing problems in QuickBooks include:
- The printer might have been turned off.
- You’re using an empty paper tray.
- It can also happen if the printer is turned off or inactive.
- A printer that has been placed incorrectly.
- If the default printer is changed in any way.
- If the user is not a system administrator, this error will occur.
- If the QuickBooks Desktop application is installed with the incorrect version.
Does confirming the name of your printer hardware and printer drive should be the same to resolve the “Unable to Open Printer setting” issue?
To ensure that the name of the printer hardware and the printer drive you’re using are the same:
- Select the printer setup after clicking the file
- If the name is incorrect, change it in your system’s printer setup.
What People Search Around This Error?
1. Printer Setup not working: I am not able to print things
2. When printing from QuickBooks, The Printer Setup window not Open
3. Why is my quickbooks printer setup not working
4. Quickbooks printer setup not opening in QB 2019, 2020, 2021
What Should Be Taken Into Account Before Troubleshooting the QuickBooks Printer Setup Problem?
Always be sure you review the following things before you begin:
- You upgrade to the latest version of QuickBooks.
- The printer is connected to your PC.
- Verify that your computer has the latest printer driver installed.
- Your printer does not have any error messages or warning lights.
How Can My Printer Be Fixed in QuickBooks?
The best solution to fix QuickBooks Desktop printing-related issues is to use the Print and PDF Repair tool.
Let’s see how:
- The first step is to choose Program Issues from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Select QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool now. Running will take a few minutes.
- Finally, attempt to print from QuickBooks Desktop or save it as a PDF once more.
Why Does QuickBooks Desktop Not Allow Me to Print Invoices?
The inability to print invoices from QuickBooks Desktop can be caused by a few different things, including an incorrect printer-QuickBooks software connection or missing printer drivers.
Is there any other option to resolve print problems in QuickBooks Desktop?
Unwanted temporary files might occasionally also be a significant contributor to problems with printing.
Consequently, it is advised that you use the process listed below to reset the permissions for the temp folder:
- To access the RUN command, hold down and press the Windows + R keys.
- You must now type %TEMP% and press Enter.
- Select Properties with a right-click on the space inside the temporary folder.
- Choose the Security menu item.
- Check to make sure that any groups and usernames that are protected have full control.
- Once Full Control has been granted, open QuickBooks and choose to save as a PDF.
Which PDF Printer Does QuickBooks Use?
QuickBooks saves as a PDF by using only a portion of the Microsoft Windows program XPS Document Writer.
Check to see if you can print to your XPS by following the instructions below:
- Start by opening Notepad.
- Now, write Test down and choose Print from the File menu.
- After selecting the XPS Document Writer, click the Print icon.
- To save a file to your desktop, enter its name.
- Finally, choose the XPS file you printed from the notepad by hovering over it on your desktop.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support