Transcribed Version of This Video
Do you need to move QuickBooks to another software easily and efficiently?
QuickBooks migration tool is available within the QuickBooks accounting software.
It transfers your software and company file data to a new system.
Requirements for using the QuickBooks Migrator Tool
To set up the migrator tool, you need the following:
- An external storage device to store the data and configuration from the current system.
- Admin access to QuickBooks desktop to set up the migrator tool.
- A new system to transfer the software to.
- An active internet connection on the new system so that the migrator tool can download and install the same copy
One-time password setup
To use the Migrator Tool, you need to set a one-time password when configuring an external storage device. You can transfer up to 3 company files at once. Further, The Migrator tool will install the same version of Quickbooks desktop on your new system and will configure the accounting software on the new system.
Steps to set up the migration tool
To begin with the migration process, you have to first set up the QuickBooks migrator tool.
- First, Go to the File menu from the main screen in QuickBooks.
- Then Go to the Utilities option.
- Then Choose Move QuicKbooks to another computer.
- When you want to start the migration process, click on I’m Ready, then input a one-time password that will be required later to move the accounting software to the new system.
Steps to migrate to new system
- Now attach the USB Flash drive to the new system so that you can initiate the data transfer.
- Open the USB device folder.
- Double click on the Move_QuickBooks.bat file to launch the migrator tool on your new system.
- And Input the password that you created while configuring the migrator tool on your old system.
- When the transfer process completes, click on Finish.
- Activate intuit services: You should activate Intuit services such as payroll and data security if you’ve subscribed to them.
- Create a backup schedule: You should Create a backup schedule to ensure that you always have a restore point close enough to eliminate the risk of data loss.
- Transfer other company files: If any other company files are left on the old system, then you can migrate them to your new system manually.
Data and Configuration that aren’t migrated
There are some data types that aren’t transferred when using the migrator tool. This data includes:
- Payroll & Payment Setup: You’ll have to configure payroll and payment setup once again on your new system after you’ve activated the payroll service with the subscription of the service.
- Intuit Data Protect (IDP) settings: If you’ve subscribed to Intuit data protect, then you can enable it on this system after the migration process so that backups are automatically created and transferred to a server managed by Intuit itself.
- Backup Files: any backup files created on the previous system won’t be migrated to the new one. However, you can manually copy the backup files and create new ones using the backup feature in Quickbooks desktop.
- Few Company Files: The migrator toll does not transfer more than 3 company files to your new system, so you need to manually transfer those files.
- Multi-User settings: If you’ve hosted the company file on a separate server to enable multi-user mode, then you’ll have to reconfigure the entire settings to enable multi-user mode once again.
Now you can get back to work with QuickBooks Desktop on your new system.
Alternative method to migrate QuickBooks Desktop
If you don’t want to rely on the migrator tool to transfer your data to the new system, then you can follow these steps to manually transfer your software and data to your new system:
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Choose Program and Features, then Uninstall a Program.
- Choose QuickBooks, then right click on it.
- Choose Uninstall/Change.
- Follow on-screen instructions to uninstall the program from your system.
- On your new system, download and install QuickBOoks desktop.
- Transfer your company files and open them using the newly installed software.
If you found this video helpful, then hit the like button and subscribe to our channel for more such videos.
For more accounting tips and solutions, visit our website. The link is in the description below.