Are you troubled with QuickBooks Install Error 1317? No need to worry anymore! This article provides you with comprehensive solutions to deal with this installation error. However, QuickBooks users have a pleasurable experience while working on it but there are occasions when they come across QuickBooks Error code 1317. It is a common error often faced by QB users during their installation process.
It usually happens when you attempt to make a directory in QuickBooks. There can be a number of reasons behind this hindrance like permission to access the software, interference of the third-party with QuickBooks, unexpected modifications in Windows registry, and more. To get complete details for the error including possible causes, symptoms, and solutions to get rid of the error, read the article till the end.
Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks Install Error 1317
It’s possible that you won’t be able to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or Microsoft Visual Studio.NET on your computer, and you’ll see the following error message:
Error 1317: An error occurred while attempting to create the directory Drive Name:\Folder Name
Note Drive Name is a placeholder for the name of the drive, and Folder Name is a placeholder for the path where you want to install Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio.NET.
What causes QuickBooks Install Error 1317?
There are numerous reasons for this error, a few of them are listed below:
- Third-party applications interfering with QuickBooks.
- After the machine was rebooted, there was an unanticipated change in the Windows registry.
- You are not authorized to use the software.
- System files that are corrupted or missing.
- An attack by malware or a virus.
- Hardware and RAM are on the decline.
How to fix QuickBooks Install Error 1317?
You can try any of the solutions listed below according to your reasons that cause the error code 1317.
Solution 1: Download QuickBooks Tool Hub and run Diagnostic Tool
- Close QuickBooks and download and save the QuickBooks Tool Hub from their official website
- Now, open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file that you downloaded earlier
- To install, simply follow the instructions on the screen
- Tick Accept the terms and conditions as written
- When the installation is complete, a new icon will appear on your Windows desktop
- To access the tool hub, double-click on it
- When it opens, go to Installation issues and click on it
- Select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the drop-down menu
- Allow it to run for up to 20 minutes
- Restart your computer after it’s finished
- If it now works that’s good! If not, go to solution 2.
Solution 2: Modify the Settings
- You should restart your computer
- Log in to your system as an “Administrator”
- Navigate to the application path you specified during the installation
- Right-click on the “Program folder” and select “Properties”
- Select “Sharing and security” (Microsoft Windows XP) or “Properties” (Microsoft Windows Vista) (Microsoft Windows Vista, 7, 8)
- Select the “Sharing” tab from the drop-down menu
- After that, select “Permissions” (Windows XP) or “Advanced Sharing” (Windows Vista, 7, 8) and then “Permissions”
- Select “Everyone” from the Group or provide a username in the username box
- On the Full Control Line, check the “Allow” option
- Select “SYSTEM” from the Group or click the username box. On the Full Control Line, click the “Allow” box.
If the first two options aren’t accessible, proceed to step three:
- Select “Add” from the drop-down menu
- Type the missing group in the search bar (Everyone or SYSTEM)
- Select “Check Names” from the drop-down menu
- Next step is click on the Ok tab
- Then give this new group “Full Control” and click the “Ok” button
- Now pick the “Advanced” button from the “Security” tab
- Check the box “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object” under “Change Permissions”
- After that, you should select the “Ok” tab
- When the message “Do you desire to continue?” appears, select “Yes”
- To save the changes you’ve made, click “Ok”.
Solution 3: Install your QuickBooks Desktop in Safe Mode
- To open the Run window, hit Windows + R on your keyboard
- In the Open field, type msconfig
- Then press the OK button
- Toggle to the General tab
- Selective Startup should be selected
- Select the checkbox named “Load System Services” from the drop-down menu
- Uncheck the box labelled Load Startup Items
- Select the Services tab from the menu bar
- At the bottom of the window, select the Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox
- To clear all chosen services, click the Disable All option
- Uncheck the option labelled Hide all Microsoft Services
- Make sure the Windows Installer checkbox must be selected in the Service list
- Click to select if it isn’t already selected
- Once done then click on the Ok button
- To restart your computer, go to the System Configuration window and click the Restart button
- Run the QuickBooks Desktop installation from the CD-ROM after your PC has rebooted.
After the installation is finished, take these steps to get your system back to its original state:
- To open the Run window, hit Windows + R on your keyboard
- In the Open field, type msconfig
- Then press the OK button followed by toggling to the General tab
- Select Normal Startup from the drop-down menu and then click the OK button
- To restart your computer, go to the System Configuration window and click the Restart button.
Solution 4: Try the below troubleshooting steps
- Click on the Windows Start button and then click on the Run windows
- Next, type compmgmt.msc followed by clicking on the ok button
- With this, the Computer management window appears
- Expand Storage and Computer Management (Local)
- Click on “Disk Management” in the left pane of the Computer Management window
- Where do you want Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio.NET to be installed
- Right-click on the disc drive in the right-pane and select Properties
- The Properties dialogue box for the Local Disk (Drive Name:) will appear
- Move to the Advanced tab after clicking the Security tab
- This will bring up the Advanced Security Settings for Local Disk (Drive Name:) popup
- Start the Windows Explorer then go to the Tools menu and select Folder Options
- After that, click the View tab in the Folder Options dialogue box
- Toggle the “Use simple file sharing (Recommended)” item in the Advanced Settings section
- Click the “Apply” button, then the “OK” button
- Close the Windows Explorer window
- Within the Advanced Security Settings for Local Disk (Drive Name:) dialogue box, select the Permissions tab
- Select SYSTEM from the Permissions entries list, then click the “Edit” tab
- The “Permission Entry for Local Disk (Drive Name:) dialogue box will display on your screen
- Select the “Allow” checkbox for all permissions in the Permissions list, then click the Ok tab
- Click “Apply” and then “Ok” in the Advanced Security Settings for Local Disk (Drive Name:) dialogue box
- Click Ok to close the Local Disk (Drive Name:) Properties dialogue box
- Close the Company Management window
- Visual Studio.NET must be installed.
We hope this information helps you to understand how to fix QuickBooks Install Error 1317, but sometimes you can face several issues while using or performing the steps. If you are not able to understand any point in this article or you are having some issues while performing the process then you can get quick assistance via our Live Chat option.
What is QuickBooks Install Error 1317?
QuickBooks Error Code 1317 is an installation issue that occurs when attempting to create a directory in QuickBooks. Third-party apps interfering with QuickBooks, unexpected changes to the Windows registry, authorization required for accessing the software, and so on are all possible causes for this QuickBooks Error. On your computer screen, you should see the following message saying the Error: “1317: An error occurred while creating directory [directory]”.
Does Windows update fix my query “QuickBooks Install Error 1317”?
Yes, updating your Windows is an easy and effective way to make sure your system runs smoothly. When you update Windows, your PC will have the latest features, bug fixes, and security patches.
How do I update my Windows 10? Does it help me to overcome QuickBooks Install Error 1317?
Start with selecting the Start (Windows) button from the bottom-left corner. Go to the Settings Gear icon and then select the “Update & Security” icon. After that, choose the Windows Update tab in the left sidebar. Click on the button called “Check for updates”. If there is an available update, it will begin downloading automatically. Well, Windows update is pretty much helpful in rectifying multiple issues that you usually face while using your software.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support