Quickbooks can categorize clients, including an inactive category. The inactive category list is a Quickbooks default list, thus you only need to mark a customer as inactive for him to be included in the list. This option allows you to easily exclude customers with whom you no longer do business from your reports.
It can also aid in reducing confusion when dealing with big lists of customers, many of whom you may not be doing business with.
Lists are the base for using QuickBooks. Your lists contain the items you use in almost every transaction. For example, an invoice. A list contains the “Bill to” name, item, description, rate, tax, payment terms, customer message, and anything else you select from a pull-down list.
QuickBooks offers several options for recording and reporting accounting data so you may assess the financial health of your company. The Chart of Accounts in Quickbooks and other lists that may be used to examine your business are explained below:
The users can examine your company using the lists below using QuickBooks:
- Items List: For keeping track of the financial success of particular sold services and goods.
- Class List: Used to keep track of various business profit divisions.
- Client Type List: This feature allows you to filter your gross profit by user-defined client kinds.
Organize and keep your chart of accounts clear. You can make an account inactive if you don’t intend to use it anymore. To give you access to historical transaction data for reporting purposes, QuickBooks makes accounts inactive rather than deleting them.
It’s better to disconnect a banking account if you want to make it inactive. After that, QuickBooks will no longer download new transactions, but your current accounting data will remain unchanged.
Steps to Make items and services inactive to remove them from your books:
This is how:
- Go to Sales in the left navigation bar.
- Go to the Products and Services tab.
- Check the boxes next to each item you want to remove.
- Use the drop-down menu for batch activities.
- Choose ‘Make inactive’, then click ‘Yes’.
The items/services you choose will now be deactivated. From your inactive list, you can choose to reactivate them:
- Click the Funnel icon on the Products and Services screen.
- Select Inactive from the Status drop-down menu.
- Press Apply.
- Find the things you want to activate, then click the ‘Make active’ button next to them in the ACTION column.
Setting Inventory Quantity to 0:
Making inventory items inactive won’t have an impact on previous transactions, but be sure the item is completely out of stock before doing so. If the item contains a quantity, first set the quantity to zero before making it inactive.
Steps to set Inventory Quantity to 0:
Lists > Products & Services > from the Gear icon Choose the contested inventory item > Next to Edit in the Action column, select the drop-down arrow, then choose to Adjust Quantity. Make the new quantity 0 and save. The default value for the Inventory Adjustment Account field is Inventory Shrinkage Account, but you can change it.
Deactivate list items In QuickBooks Desktop Pro by following these steps:
Overview of QuickBooks Desktop Pro’s How to Deactivate List Items:
How to deactivate list items in QuickBooks Desktop Pro is demonstrated below. Only list items that haven’t been utilized in any transactions can be deleted in QuickBooks Desktop Pro. QuickBooks Desktop Pro alerts you that you cannot delete a list item if you attempt to do so after using it in a transaction. You can make a list item inactive if you don’t want to utilize it but can’t delete it. By doing this, its display on the list is hidden.
Use these steps to deactivate list items in QuickBooks Desktop Pro:
- Right-click the list item you want to deactivate within the selected list in QuickBooks Desktop Pro.
- From the pop-up menu that displays, choose the “Make Inactive” command. The selected list item is deactivated, and its display is hidden as a result.
- Click the “Include Inactive” checkbox at the list window’s bottom to view inactive list items within a list.
- Except for the “Customers & Jobs,” “Vendors,” and “Employees” lists, you can use this technique to access inactive list entries in all other lists.
- By selecting “View” from the “View” drop-down menu on the tab above the list, you can see every item in these lists. To view the inactive items, choose “All [item type]” from the drop-down menu.
- A new column appears on the left side of the list while checking inactive list items.
- This column displays inactive items, which have an “X” sign next to their names.
Steps to change the amount of inventory you have on hand in QuickBooks Online:
You may occasionally have more or fewer of a particular item than QuickBooks indicates. You can manually change the quantity of an item to match what you have in stock if you maintain inventory in QuickBooks Online Plus and Advanced without recording a purchase or sale.
Add the inventory quantity adjustment:
- Control + New.
- Select Adjust Inventory Quantity.
- Type the Adjustment Date in.
- The correct account should be chosen from the Inventory adjustment account drop-down.
- In the Product area, select the desired items.
Note: Both the description and the quantity on hand now are auto-populated.
- Enter a new amount for each item or a change to the number already entered.
- Details about the adjustment should be entered in the Memo field.
- Choose “Save” once you’re done.
Note: QuickBooks Online automatically records the necessary adjustments to your stock Asset and Cost of Goods Sold (under stock Shrinkage) accounts when you save the inventory modification.
Edit or remove a quantity adjustment for the inventory:
Editing entries for inventory adjustment requires extreme caution. Your bookkeeping may be very much impacted by this. This is how:
- Pick the Search button from the toolbar.
- Choose the ‘Advanced search’ option.
- Choose the appropriate account from the Inventory adjustment account drop-down.
- Choose Inventory ‘Quantity Adjustment’ from the drop-down list for All Transactions.
- Click Search.
- Choose the adjustment you want to modify or delete from the search results.
In QuickBooks Online, list elements can be modified, removed, and restored:
In QuickBooks Online, you may quickly update, delete, or restore recently deleted list elements including accounts, terms, classes, products, or services.
Steps to Edit a list item:
Editing a list element
- Select All lists after going to Settings.
- Open the appropriate list, such as Products and Services or the Chart of Accounts.
- Select Edit in the Action drop-down menu.
- After making changes, click Save and Exit.
Steps to Edit a Supplier or Consumer
To change a supplier or client:
- Visit ‘Get paid & pay’ and click on either ‘Customers’ or ‘Vendors’. Open the seller or customer’s profile by clicking on their name.
- Choose Edit.
- Make your adjustments, then click Save.
Remove a list item:
Use these steps to remove a list element: Recurring Transactions, Custom Form Styles, Currencies, and Attachments cannot be recovered once they have been deleted, so keep that in mind.
- Choose All lists from the Settings menu.
- Open the relevant list, such as the Products and Services or Chart of Accounts.
- Choose to Delete, Make inactive, or Remove from the Action dropdown option.
- Click Yes.
- Remove a supplier or client.
To eliminate a supplier or client:
- Select Customers or Vendors under ‘Get paid & pay’.
- Choose the checkbox next to the client or supplier’s name.
- Choose ‘Batch operations.’
- Select ‘Yes’ after choosing to Make it inactive.
Recover a deleted list element:
You can use the List report to recover a deleted element if you accidentally deleted it from one of the lists.
- Select All lists after going to Settings.
- Open the appropriate list, such as Products and Services or the Chart of Accounts.
- To display every item on the inactive list, go to Settings from the Vendor/Customer panel and choose to Include inactive.
- Locate the item you wish to restore.
- Select ‘Make active’ in the Action dropdown menu.
Steps to Restore a deleted service or product item:
- For lost goods or services, the procedures for recovering list elements vary slightly.
- Choose Settings and then click on “Products & Services”· Choose the Filter icon.
- Select Inactive, then Apply, from the Status drop-down option.
For deleted goods or services, there are slightly different procedures for recovering list elements:
- Choose Settings, followed by Products & Services, and choose the ‘Filter’ icon.
- Select Inactive from the Status drop-down option, then click Apply.
- Find the item or service you want to activate.
- Choose ‘Make active’.
Restore a client or supplier:
- Select Customers or Vendors under Get Paid & Pay.
- To display all inactive list entries, select Include inactive from the Settings menu on the Vendor/Customer screen.
- Choose the checkbox next to the ‘client’ or ‘supplier’s’ name.
- Select Make Active from the Action column.
How can I remove an incorrectly entered inventory item that has not been used in a transaction?
Yes, you will only be able to delete an assembly in QuickBooks Desktop. If an item doesn’t fit into one of these categories, make sure:
- Even if the assemblies are not in use, you cannot delete inventory pieces or assemblies that are used as parts of other assemblies.
- Remove an assembly from inventory if you create it, build it, and don’t utilize it in any subsequent transactions.
- Parts are not automatically erased when you remove an assembly item from the system that hasn’t been used in a transaction.
- The inventory will be removed from your list if you use the Delete function.
- Change the item’s name and deactivate it if necessary to keep the data accurate.
In this manner, you’ll be able to track the inventory using the appropriate item. This is how:
- To view all the goods and services listed in the company file, select Item List from the Lists menu.
- Choose to Make the Item inactive after selecting the item you’re working on.
- To maintain the changes, click OK.
Even though we are unable to entirely delete the item, you can do so by clicking the Triangle button in the Action column to have it deactivated from the Products/Services active list. To remove it from the list of active products and services, choose to make it inactive. As a result, the item’s Starting value will be immediately zeroed out.
- The Products and Services tab can be found by going to Sales.
- Select the Triangle button after locating the contested item.
- Click on Make inactive.
- To confirm, click Yes.
1. How can I deactivate a list?
From the pop-up menu that displays, select the “Make Inactive” command. This deactivates and hides the specified list item. Click the “Include Inactive” button at the bottom of the list window to show inactive list items within a list.
2. In QuickBooks, how can I create inactive customers?
Navigate to the Sales menu and select Customers. Tick the box next to the Batch activities. Select Make Inactive from the Batch Actions menu. Then, to save the changes, click Yes. However, if you’re using QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT), you won’t be able to inactive customers in mass.
3. How can I make inventory items inactive?
Select Item List from the Lists menu. Make sure the Include inactive checkbox is checked in the Item List window. Mark the inventory items you want to deactivate with an X from the X column. Whenever asked, select Yes. Items with an X next to them become inactive after the steps.
4. In QuickBooks Desktop Pro, how can I deactivate a list item?
In QuickBooks Desktop Pro, you can deactivate list items by right-clicking the desired item. From the pop-up menu, select the “Make Inactive” command. To display inactive list items in a list that is NOT part of a center, select “Include Inactive” from the list window’s bottom checkbox.
5. How many different types of items are there in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks has 11 item types to pick from (excluding the Fixed Asset Item), but some of them may not appear in your data file if the relevant feature is not activated. You can select whatever type to give to a list item; however, each type has its attributes.
6. What exactly is QuickBooks Online, and how does it operate?
Your company data is always secure, available and synced across all your devices when you work online and use cloud accounting software with QuickBooks. You can work on the go and have access to your financial information thanks to the companion mobile app.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support