When users encounter problems while installing or uninstalling QuickBooks, it is often recommended to try the same in Selective Startup mode. This mode enables users to install or remove programs without influence from third party software. Errors related to actions with this accounting software can be very frustrating. To ease your task, we’ve provided the steps to install or uninstall QuickBooks in Selective Startup mode in this article.
Before we start to install or uninstall QB, we must prepare the data. There are two steps involved in this process. Let’s begin with the first one: back up your company file. To do the same, follow the steps provided below:
- Launch QuickBooks and Go to the File menu.
- Select Single User Mode.
- Once QuickBooks relaunches, select File from the main menu.
- Click on Back up Company.
- Click on Create Local Backup. This means that the backup will be saved on a local drive. Later you can transfer the backup file to a USB or server.
- A new window will appear. Select Local Backup. Click on Next.
- From the Online and Local backup section, click on Complete verification. This will check the company file to make sure that the accounting data is in a good shape.
- Click on Ok when you’re ready to begin the backup process.
- Click on Finish when you get the confirmation that a backup file was created.
In QuickBooks, you can also automate the backup process. This ensures that there are two or more copies of previous backups available. If you encounter any error, especially one related to the company file, then you can simply restore the backup and enter the new data manually.
You’ll also require your QuickBooks product and license keys if you’re planning to install or reinstall the software. There are multiple methods through which you can find the product and license keys for the QuickBooks desktop.
To find the product and license keys through the software itself, follow the steps provided below:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Press the F2 key.
- Look under the Product Information window. Here you’ll find the product name and number and license number. Also, note down the release of your version of QuickBooks.
In case you bought the software online from Intuit, then you can log into your Intuit account for all the information related to the product. If you bought from a third party, then you’ll have to get in touch with them for information regarding the same.
Once you’ve prepared your data, you’re ready to install or uninstall the software.
Start your System in Selective Startup Mode
The selective startup mode is used to ensure that third party software doesn’t interfere with the function of another software. If you’re comfortable with working with windows, then follow along:
- Log into Windows with an admin account.
- Press Windows + R.
- Type in MSConfig. Hit ok.
- From the General tab, select Selective startup. Also, mark the checkbox against Load system services.
- From the Services tab, select Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click on Disable all.
- Uncheck the checkbox against Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Mark the checkbox against Windows Installer.
- Hit ok.
- Go to the System Configuration window. Select Restart.
You’ve successfully started your system in Selective startup mode. Errors encountered which undertaking the aforementioned steps are usually due to a lack of administrative privileges.
Install or Uninstall QuickBooks
Now you’re free to install or uninstall QuickBooks without interference from third party software. Since all of your security software won’t be running, you can install any program you like.
To install QuickBooks in selective startup mode, follow the steps provided below:
- Either download the setup or insert the installation disk.
- Launch the setup for your version of QuickBooks.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Select the folder in which you want to install QuickBooks. Click Next.
- Select Express Install. If you want to install on a network, select custom install.
- Wait for the installation to finish. Click on Finish.
If you’re planning to reinstall or simply uninstall QuickBooks, then selective startup mode can facilitate you with the same. Not only can you uninstall QuickBooks, but you can also manually delete most of the files related to it.
To uninstall QuickBooks desktop, follow the steps provided below:
- Log in to windows with an admin account.
- Hit the Windows key and select Control Panel.
- Click on Programs & Features.
- Select Uninstall a Program.
- Select QuickBooks and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the onscreen procedure to complete the process. Click on finish.
When you uninstall QuickBooks, it does not delete the company file. The company file will remain as is and won’t be impacted in any manner. However, if you install a newer version of this accounting software, you’ll have to upgrade the company file. This can be done directly through QuickBooks. Once a QB company file is upgraded, you cannot downgrade it. So make sure that you keep a backup copy stored on a USB or separate server.
Switch Back to Normal Mode
Once you’ve performed the desired actions, you need to switch back to the normal mode, which you usually use for daily activities. To switch back to normal startup mode, follow the steps provided below:
- Press Windows + R. The Run command will appear.
- Type in MSConfig. Click on Ok.
- From the General tab, click on Normal Startup.
- Click on Ok.
- Restart your system to switch back to the normal mode.
To know more, you can get in touch with our experts via the chat option.