Error 1638: Another version of this product is already installed
QuickBooks Error 1638: Another version of this product is already installed is a kind of installation error which usually takes place when users try to install their software. This error indicates that the installation of this version cannot continue.
Moreover, when the error occurs, it displays an error message on your screen that says ““Error 1638: Another version of this product is already installed”. If you’ve also encountered the same error message, use the troubleshooting methods outlined later in this article to resolve it and get back to work.
What are the reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 1638?
QuickBooks Error 1638 could be caused by more than one of the following scenarios:
- The QuickBooks desktop installation instructions aren’t being followed correctly.
- Your machine already has one QuickBooks Desktop software installed.
- The installation source for the program has been corrupted.
- QuickBooks installation is being blocked by Windows Firewall settings.
- The problem is caused by a virus or another infection.
How to fix Error 1638: Another version of this product is already installed
There are multiple ways to get rid of the error. The below-discussed are few of them, just check out them one by one:
Method 1: Locate the QuickBooks version
- To open the Run command, press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard at the same time
- Type Control Panel into the search box and then hit the “Enter” key
- Then select Programs followed by clicking on the “Programs and Features” tab
- If QuickBooks appears in the list, just double-click on it
- Allow time for the software to load.
Method 2: Open your QuickBooks program
- On the keyboard, press the Windows Start button
- Then click QuickBooks after selecting All Programs
- Make sure that you’re using the correct QuickBooks version.
Method 3: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop
Follow the steps in the order listed below to complete the task:
- The QuickBooks Tool Hub is available for download
- Close QuickBooks and any other windows that are associated with it
- Save the most recent version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub to your PC (or any convenient location)
- Open the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) and install it by following the on-screen instructions
- Accept the terms and conditions before continuing with the installation
- To launch the Tool Hub, go to the folder where you saved it and double-click on its icon.
Run the Quick Fix my Program
- Select Program Problems from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- After that, select Quick Fix my Program
- QuickBooks Desktop should now be open.
If fixing QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t solve the problem, proceed to the next step.
Method 4: Do a Clean Install QuickBooks Desktop
Do a clean install of QB Desktop so Windows can fix the company file issues. You can perform a complete Clean Install of your QuickBooks Desktop using the below steps. Before you start the process, make sure that you gather all your QuickBooks product information.
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Open the Start menu in Windows
- Then access Control Panel by searching for “Control Panel”
- Uninstall a program or select Programs and Features
- Select the QuickBooks Desktop version you want to uninstall from the list of applications
- Uninstall/Change, then Remove are the options
- Moving forward, click on the “Next” button
- If you don’t see this option, sign out of Windows and back in as an administrator (or a user with admin rights).
Step 2: Reinstall your QuickBooks Desktop
- Open the QuickBooks.exe file
- Follow the instructions that are guided on your system’s screen
- Accept the software license agreement before moving on to the next step
- Enter your Product and License numbers in the fields provided
- Then choose the “Next” button.
Decide which install type is right for you
When it comes to installing QuickBooks, you have two options: express or custom and network.
If you’re a first-time user or reinstalling QuickBooks, it is recommended. QuickBooks will be installed on a single PC (not as part of a network of computers).
- Select Express before moving on to the next step
- Install should be chosen
- Select Open QuickBooks after it’s finished.
Custom and Network Install
If you’re looking for a custom installation, it is recommended:
Installing QuickBooks at a different place than the default (such as on a server). On a server, you can store your company’s files. Also, make sure that you set up a multi-user network.
- Select Custom and Network Options before clicking on to the “Next” button
- Choose the one that best represents how you’ll use QuickBooks
- Select Change the install location on the next screen.
- Choose Browse to find a location for your QuickBooks folder
- The majority of users save it to their Programs folder
- To begin the installation, select Next
- Select Open QuickBooks after it’s finished.
If this doesn’t work, try another way to fix Error 1638: Another version of this product is already installed.
Method 5: Try installing your QuickBooks to a different directory folder
In this method, you have to install your QB software to a different directory folder by browsing to a different location. Then perform the same installation process as discussed in the above method.
Hopefully, you will find this article to be useful in resolving QuickBooks Error 1638: This product already has another version installed. If you have any questions unanswerable or require additional assistance, use our Live Chat to connect QuickBooks team of qualified technicians, who are available all round-the-clock.
Is it also important to activate your QuickBooks Desktop after you’re done with the installation process?
Before you begin using QuickBooks, you must first activate it. QuickBooks will ask you to activate it, but you can do so manually by following these instructions.
QuickBooks should now be open
Select Activate QuickBooks Desktop from the Help menu
Verify your information by following the procedures on the screen.
How do Install or Uninstall your QuickBooks in Selective Startup mode resolve Error 1638: Another version of this product is already installed?
Below are the steps that involved under the installing or uninstalling QuickBooks in Selective Startup mode:
Step 1: Prepare your data
Before you begin installing or removing QuickBooks, double-check that you have everything you need to complete the task correctly.
Step 2: Start your computer in a Selective Startup mode
By switching to Selective Startup mode, you can ensure that no other software or application interferes with your process.
Step 3: Uninstall or Install your QuickBooks Desktop means a clean installation of your QuickBooks Desktop
Perform a clean installation of QuickBooks Desktop once the startup is complete.
Step 4: Switch back to Normal Startup mode
After you’ve completed the installation, restore your system to its default settings (normal configuration).
What are the steps I need to perform to switch back to normal startup mode?
Start with pressing the Windows + R keys together to open the Run command. Type msconfig within the search box and then hit the Ok tab. Move to the General tab followed by choosing the “Normal Startup” option. Once done then click Ok and finally select restart from the System Configuration window.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support