QuickBooks error 6143 occurs because of network or company file issues. Both network and company file issues can have many underlying causes, so we need to proceed with caution when it comes to fixing this error. QuickBooks error 6143 can be fixed using various utilities provided by Intuit and altering preferences in both the accounting software and the operating system. Backup issues generated because of this error are often resolved as soon as the user fixes the underlying cause. Until then, you’re likely to get other errors when trying to work with the company file.
If you’ve received the QuickBooks error 6143, then this article will help you in resolving the error as soon as possible. We’ll start with an in-depth discussion of this error and then provide detailed step-by-step solutions so that you can easily follow along and resolve the problem. However, if you aren’t comfortable with the software, you can always reach out to our accounting software experts via chat or call.
What is QuickBooks error code 6143?
Before trying to resolve the error by applying different solutions, you need to know about QuickBooks error code 6143. Often occurring because of network and company file issues, this error prevents users from working on their accounting software and leads the software to crash immediately.
Further, users cannot create backup copies of their company files until they resolve the error. There are a number of available solutions for this network and company file error, but users need to proceed one by one to troubleshoot effectively and efficiently. Don’t skip any solution until you know the underlying cause of the error.
What causes Quickbooks error 6143?
The causes of QuickBooks error code 6143 are:
- Network connection problem
- Damage to the company file
- Damage to QuickBooks desktop program files
- .ND file contains the wrong path to the company file
- Network preferences aren’t set correctly
QuickBooks error code 1643 – Steps for Prevention
There are a variety of ways that you can prevent QuickBooks error 1643 from occurring in the first place. Some of these ways are listed below:
- Always configure your network connection properly
- Configure the server to enable sync with workstations
- Regularly scan your system for malicious software
- Install the most recent updates available for QuickBooks
Solution Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error 1643
Before you start troubleshooting, make sure you have the most recent version of QuickBooks Desktop. Also, don’t forget to turn off the hosting feature on all the workstations in your network except the server hosting the company file. If QuickBooks Error 6143 still persists then consider the most possible solutions that are jotted below;
Solution 1: Install QuickBooks Tool Hub
To help users of their accounting software, Intuit developed a Quickbooks tool hub to resolve the most commonly found errors related to updates, installation, program files, and company files. This tool also helps you to avoid QuickBooks Error 6143. Let’s see how;
Here are the steps to download the QuickBooks Tool hub:
- Go to this link to download the setup.
- Save the setup file on the desktop.
- Once downloaded, go to the desktop and double-click on the company file.
- Agree to the terms and agreements, then follow the instructions offered on screen.
- Click on Finish.
Once you’ve installed the QuickBooks tool hub, you can use it to resolve QuickBooks error 6143 with the steps provided below:
- Launch the QuickBooks tool hub from the start menu.
- Go to the Network Issues tab.
- Choose the appropriate tool.
- Wait for the utility to scan your system.
- Once the tool identifies the errors, it’ll try to apply the required solution.
While this utility doesn’t always succeed, it generally provides you with errors that may be interfering with the network.
If your internet connection isn’t configured or working properly, then your internet service provider can help. On the other hand, if the server that contains the company file isn’t responding, then your hosting provider must be contacted.
Solution 2: Scan the Program and Company Files
After checking the network connection, we’re going to check the program files and look for possible damage. Then we’ll proceed to scan the company file so that we can rule out damage to your accounting data. With the help of this process, you can eradicate QuickBooks error 6143. Here are the steps you need to perform on your own;
Note: we hope that you’ve already downloaded and installed QuickBooks desktop
Here are the steps to scan program files when you encounter QuickBooks error 6143:
- From the start menu, launch the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Go to the Program Files tab.
- Click on Scan for errors.
- Wait for the scan to finish.
If the tool isn’t able to fix a particular program file-related error, then you can always go to the control panel and use the repair option provided in the Apps section.
This repair feature enables you to repair all the program files related to a particular software – in this case, QuickBooks desktop.
To know if QuickBooks error 6143 is caused by the company file, follow these steps:
- Launch the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Go to the Company File tab.
- Click on Browse.
- Select the company file and click open.
- Click on Scan now.
If any commonly encountered errors are found, the tool will fix them automatically. However, it won’t be able to fix any permanent damage to the company file.
Note: if you suspect that your company file is damaged, get in touch with an accounting software expert immediately.
Solution 3: Opening up a sample company file installed on your workstation
Running a sample file can help you to identify if the QuickBooks error 6143 is with the QuickBooks company file or the application itself. In case you are not able to open the sample file, it is a sign that the QuickBooks installation is being damaged. Here are the steps you need to perform on your own;
- Select the sample company file under the No company open window.
- To proceed further, choose the list of sample company files.
- Once the sample file opens, you need to open the file in your local workspace.
- If still, you are still getting the same error code 6143 when opening the sample file, then you need to repair the QuickBooks installation.
Solution 4: Restore the Most Recent Backup
If using the tool hub wasn’t successful in resolving the QuickBooks error 6143 then you need to restore the most recent backup of your company file. If you have such a backup created already, then skip this process. Below are the steps to perform a company file backup;
To resolve QuickBooks error 6143 by restoring a backup, follow these steps:
- QuickBooks but don’t open any company file.
- In the No Company File Open window, choose the File menu, then click on open or Restore Company.
- Click on Restore the backup copy.
- After clicking on Next, select Local Backup.
- Click on Next, then Browse.
- Select the backup file, and click on Open.
- Click on Save if you’re sure that you want to restore the backup.
Note: restoring a backup means that you’ll lose all the data that you stored after creating the backup. However, you can always manually import or enter this data after you’ve created a new company file using the backup file.
Further, you can rename your old company file to prevent QuickBooks from overwriting the original file completely. You can send this file to an accounting software expert to get your data recovered. Until then, you can work on the restored company file.
Solution 5: Open the QuickBooks company file on a local system
Opening the company file locally can help you to detect if there is a problem with the location of the company file. To get it done, you need to move the company file to the desktop and try to open it from the new location. If the file still didn’t open after changing the location then there is a possibility that the file is damaged. There are two ways to follow if the issue is with the location of your company file, you can paste the company file on the desktop and open it from there. The other option is to paste the entire folder into a different system.
This will let you repair QuickBooks error 6143. Here’s how;
Accessing Company File from desktop
- Firstly, you need to open the folder that contains your company file.
- Now, find the file ending with .QBW extension.
- And make a right-click on the file to select Copy from the drop-down list.
- After this, move to the desktop and paste the file anywhere on the screen.
- You have to press and hold the Ctrl key and then double-click on the QuickBooks icon.
- Tap on open or restore an existing company file in the No Company Open Window.
- At last, browse through it and open the company file you pasted on the desktop.
Copy the Company File on a Different Computer
- To begin with, insert a removable storage device into your computer.
- Now, go to your QuickBooks installation folder and locate your company file.
- Hit a right-click on it and click Copy.
- Next, open the removable storage device folder paste your company file there, and eject the device from that system.
- Furthermore, connect the USB to a system having the same version of QuickBooks as your host computer and paste the file onto the desktop.
- Finally, open the QuickBooks application in the No Company Open window and try to open the file you pasted on the desktop.
Solution 6: Fix QuickBooks Program Files
The Rebuild Data tool is specially designed to fix several minor company file data issues like QuickBooks error 6143. Perform the step-by-step guide to get a better insight;
- Navigate to the File menu, then hover over utilities and select Rebuild Data.
- Press OK under the QuickBooks Information window.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to save a backup.
- After that, let the tool repair your file. It may take some time.
- Most probably, QuickBooks may seem stuck but as long as you move your mouse, the tool will work.
- Once the tool finishes, hit the OK tab.
- Moving ahead, go to the File menu select Utilities, and click on Verify Data.
- Let the tool check your file for data issues.
- If QuickBooks doesn’t get any issue then you can click OK. it depicts there’s no data damage with your company file.
- However, if QuickBooks finds an issue with your company file, select Rebuild Now.
Solution 7: Rename the following company file-.ND and.TLG
TLG and ND files help QuickBooks run properly. You all need to rename the files so that QuickBooks creates fresh versions of them. QuickBooks error 6143 can be resolved if you implement the below-described steps;
- In the beginning, open the folder that contains all your company files.
- Search for the Files with the same file name as your company files but with extensions.ND and TLG.
- Hit a right-click on each file, then select Rename.
- Now, add the word OLD at the end of each file name. For Example: company-file .qbw.nd.OLD
Solution 8: Close All QuickBooks Processes running currently
To close all QuickBooks processes and to get rid of QuickBooks error 6143, you need to follow the below-described steps:
- To perform this procedure, you need to log in as the administrator first of all.
- Next, you have to hold and press CTRL + Shift + Esc keys together on your keyboard.
- Lastly, select the Users tab to show processes for all the users and close all the QuickBooks processes.
Solution 9: Remove spaces and special characters
You are required to remove any extra spaces from your file name if you don’t want to encounter QuickBooks error 6143. Let’s follow the instructions inclined below;
- The very first step is to log out and then close the QuickBooks application from all the systems and servers in the network.
- Now, open the QuickBooks installation folder on the server which contains your company file.
- Basically, you can find your file by following this path- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files.
- Look for your company file and then hit a right-click on it, and tap on Rename.
- After that, remove any extra unrequired spaces from the company file name and the company file extension and click Enter.
- In the end, rerun the QuickBooks application and try to open your company file.
Solution 10: Create a Windows Firewall Exception for QuickBooks Desktop
Windows security will not interrupt you with the working of QuickBooks if you have created an exception for it. Even you would be able to eliminate QuickBooks error 6143 if you’ve such an exception. Go through these steps in order to do so:
- Click on the Windows Start button and open Windows Firewall.
- Head to the Advanced Settings.
- Make right-click on the inbound Rule and tap on New Rule. (later you will have to create outbound rules also).
- Select Program and press the Next button.
- Now tap on this program path to click Browse.
- Choose one of the executable files mentioned below. And then hit Next.
- If asked, ensure that all files are marked and then press Next.
- Create a rule and give it a distinguishable name such as ‘QBFirewallException(name.exe).’
Here is the list of executable files;
While these solutions will guide you through the entire process, you’ll still require admin privileges to execute most of these steps. So when trying to resolve QuickBooks error 6143, you should always log into Windows with an admin user account. If you have only a standard account, then get in touch with the system’s administrator for authentication of these steps.
Note: still getting Quickbooks error 6143? Get in touch with our accounting software experts now via chat or call.
Will reinstalling the software resolve QuickBooks error 6143?
While reinstalling may seem helpful, it can often be a really long process. Instead, you should choose the repair option so that the installer can quickly replace any damaged program files, enabling you to avoid the lengthy task of first uninstalling and then installing QuickBooks.
How does the .ND file relate to QuickBooks error 6143?
The .ND file contains the names of all the recently opened company files. If this file contains the wrong location of your company file, then you’re likely to get this error because QuickBooks will be looking in the wrong place for the company file. This generally happens when users manually change the location of the company file on their local desktop.
Even though my Internet is working, I’m still receiving the QuickBooks desktop error 6143. What should I do?
If none of these solutions worked despite your internet connection working, then you should simply reconfigure the windows firewall rules that may be hindering the connection to the server that contains the QuickBooks company file. Once you’ve created both inbound and outbound rules to enable QuickBooks to access the ports, you’ll be able to get back to work. But the error 6143 doesn’t often result from this issue, so it may not be a sure fix for you. Another tip here is to enter a descriptive name for the new rules so that you can go back and alter them at any moment in time.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support