There are instances when one tries to open or access a company file but it doesn’t open. Instead, you see an error flash on your screen. Company file errors are one of the most common errors on QuickBooks and one often comes across them. Company File error -6189, -77 is way easier to handle in all the errors relating to the category. Our AccountingErrors team is going to resolve this issue. If you face any problem while performing the operation, get in touch with our QuickBooks Tech Experts.
Causes Behind The QuickBooks Error 6189 -77
When you try to access the company file on QuickBooks, you are faced with an error indicating that there was a problem loading the company file.
There are several reasons as to why error 6189 -77 appears on your screen:
- When the transaction log file (.tlg) and the company file (.qbw) do not match, someone else is accessing the company file in Single User Mode from another workstation.
- QuickBooks Data File has suffered severe damage or got corrupted somehow.
- This error occurs when more than one user tries to open a company file in a single-user mode.
- Another user is already using this file and you try to open
- Software installation is damaged or corrupted.
- Important files or drivers lost from the system which is essential for running QuickBooks are.
- If your system is having an issue, it is coming up after loading the computer operating system affected by the virus.
- When the QuickBooks software is not properly installed, then causing the wrong entries in the windows registry.
Resolving The QuickBooks Error Code 6189 -77
Some of the most effective solutions that can rectify the QuickBooks error 6189 -77 while opening the company file.
- Fix The Mismatch of .tlg & .qbw File
- Close QuickBooks from all Workstations
- Run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
- Unlock Your QuickBooks File from The Local Drive
- Run The Full Scan of Malware in Your System
- Install and Run The QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- Restart Your System Along with Your Server
We will explore some methods to resolve the error properly. In case you face any difficulty while going through the procedure, get in touch with QuickBooks Experts to help you resolve the problem properly:
Method One: Fix The Mismatch of .tlg & .qbw File
Fixing the transaction log file (.tlg) and the company file (.qbw) mismatch:
- Open your computer and browse the transaction log file. The name of the .tlg file is the same as the company file, except it carries a .tlg extension at its end.
- Hit right-click on the transaction log file and choose Rename.
- Insert OLD after the company name. It will look something like this: CompanyNameOLD.tlg
- QuickBooks regenerates .tlg files on its own, so you do not need to worry about creating another .tlg file.
- Restart your computer and check if the issue has been resolved. If not, go to the second method given below.
Method Two: Close Quickbooks from all Workstations
Go to each workstation and exit QuickBooks from them:
- Make sure no Data file is being accessed from anywhere.
- Restart these workstations one by one.
- Move the company file to the local drive of your computer and then move it back to its original location.
- Now try to access the file in QuickBooks.
- Ensure that the problem is resolved now.
Method Three: Run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
QuickBooks Clean Install Tool fixes all corrupted or damaged QuickBooks programs. To run this tool appropriately perform the below steps:
- Firstly, Uninstall your QuickBooks Desktop. This is applicable for window users only
- Then, download the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from the Intuit official website
- Run this tool to rename the files. You have the choice to do it manually
- Again, reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop software on your system
- It will automatically locate and fix the error
Method Four: Unlock Your QuickBooks File from The Local Drive
Before heading to this solution, ensure that all users are logged out from the QuickBooks Data File:
- The first thing you have to do to restart your system
- Then copied the QuickBooks file from the local drive
- Then paste it into its original location
- Now, again open your company file to check whether the issue is resolved or not
Method Five: Run The Full Scan of Malware in Your System
Run a full scan of malware in your system, and it will find and resolve the damage caused due to virus infection:
- When you find this error appears due to a virus in infection.
- Then, locate and run the malware on your PC,
- it will automatically detect and correct all error issues.
- If it still appears on your screen, then jump to the next solution.
Method Six: Install and Run The QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
You can install and use the QuickBooks file Doctor tool by using the below steps:
- Find the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from any web browser
- Then, hit the “Install” button to install it on your system
- Once the installation process is completed run it
- Follow on-screen guidelines until you are not finished with your process
- To check whether the issue is fixed or not, reboot your system
Method Seven: You Can Utilize The Restore Function to Undo A Sudden Change
If you make any sudden change in the QuickBooks and this error will pop up on your screen repeatedly then you need to go back to undo that change by utilizing the Windows System restore functions.
- Hit the first click on the “Start” button
- Go to the search bar and write “System Restore”
- After finding the result, hit the enter key
- Moving forward to click on the “Restore” button
- Then, enter all required data in the given fields
- Perform the displayed instructions such as user Id and password
- Now, you have to choose the “Restoration” point
- At last, restore the system to finish the process
Method Eight: Install The QuickBooks Database Manager on Your Server
Use the point listed below to install QuickBooks Database Manager on your server:
- First of all, install your Quickbooks Database Manager on your server where your all company files are saved
- To run with this process, you don’t need any verification code
- When the installation process is completed, then restart your server and you are all done with this process.
Method Nine: Restart Your System Along with Your Server
If a recent change made in QuickBooks is causing the error: 6189 -77, then you can restart your system along with your server by using these steps:
- User required to restart all systems in which your company files included
- Then, restart the server and proceed until you are all resolved with this error.
These Nine simple solutions provided above should resolve the Company file-related issue on your QuickBooks Desktop.
1. When Did Users Face QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 77?
The error 6189 is a run-time issue that often occurs when executing QuickBooks Desktop or opening a company file across a multi-user network.
2. What are The significant reasons behind the error message 6189?
💠 Virus Infection
💠 Corrupt company file
💠 Limited user permission
💠 Damaged Windows Registry
💠 Corrupted system files
💠 Incompatible version of the company file
💠 When users try to open the wrong transaction log files of the company file.
3. Is encryption software the reason for QuickBooks error code 6189?
Yes, sometimes encryption software can become a barrier in communication with company files; when the sharing option is switched off then it blocks the access of company files.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support