Overview of QuickBooks Error “The file you specified cannot be opened”
The error that we’re going to bandy in this blog is the “QuickBooks the file exists” problem that can arise while working various services in the QuickBooks Desktop application like downloading payroll updates, paying recorded liabilities, or while preparing a state or an Integrated form. However, you might see one of the following error dispatches on your computer desktop “ The file you specified can not be opened. Confirm that it isn’t presently being used by another application or a read-only file.” or “ The Windows error was “ The file exists.”
If the file you are trying to open is not opening, then try opening it again in another program. Check that the file is not used in another program, or check if it is a read-only file.
Why error The File You Specified Cannot Be Opened is occurring?
Restart your computer, and try toggling the User Account Control settings, in case you find it appropriate. If the problem still doesn’t get resolved then, you may have to reinstall or repair the QuickBooks.
- File is corrupted or damaged.
- If the file is open on a Remote computer.
- In complete Installation of QuickBooks .
- Affected by the virus or malware.
- If you don’t have the administrator account.
- If the Administrator provided you insufficient permissions.
Symptoms of Error The File You Specified Cannot Be Opened
System Requirements to avoid Error The File You Specified Cannot Be Opened
Precautions to take before Resolutions Error The File You Specified Cannot Be Opened
The Ways of Fixing Error The File You Specified Cannot Be Opened
1. Method One: UAC in Windows Settings
To fix this problem, try opening the sample file. If you find that the sample file is also showing the same error message, then you should try restarting the computer or toggling the User Account Control as per the version of the Windows you are using:
For Windows 7
- Click on Start and then on Control panel in order to open the User Account Control Settings
- Type UAC in search box and click on the Change User Account Control settings
- Try performing one of the step as written below:
- Turning off the UAC: By moving the slider towards the Never notify position, click on OK. In case you are asked for any confirmation or administrator password, then provide confirmation or enter your password. For turning the UAC off, restart the computer.
- Turning ON the UAC: Slider to be moved, in order to choose when you are willing to get notified, after that click OK. If you are asked to provide confirmation or to enter the administrator password, do the same.
For Windows XP
- Close all the applications along with the QuickBooks
- Try restrting your computer
- Then open the QuickBooks and try opening the program once again
You can get rid of the issue by repairing the installation of the QuickBooks. Try performing un-installation and re-installation of the QuickBooks affected version.
2. Method Two: Open the QuickBooks with the permission of elevated Administrator
Steps to open QuickBooks as administrator:
- Close the QuickBooks
- Then right-click on the icon of QuickBooks
- Users of Windows XP will notice the option of Run as, so select the Run as administrator
- If prompted, add login credentials for Windows Administrator
- You will see that no error appears as the file of QuickBooks gets opened. Any new update will be installed without prompting
- Close the QuickBooks
- Now open the QuickBooks normally and you will see that no error appears anymore
By following the solutions mentioned here, you will be able to overcome the problem, “QuickBooks Error The File You Specified Cannot Be Opened”. In case the problem persists, then get in touch with the QuickBooks experts. QuickBooks team is trained and experienced enough to answer all your queries and provide the best possible solution. Our QuickBooks Technical support experts are capable of providing the best solutions for QuickBooks and related products. Contact them via CALL NOW
See Also QuickBooks General Ledger Basic