QuickBooks File Doctor won’t open / quickbooks desktop file doctor not responding / quickbooks desktop file doctor stopped working
Well, errors are an unavoidable part of any software and similarly QuickBooks File Doctor is no exception in QB software. File Doctor assists the user in overcoming minor issues without the need for additional assistance. However, Common QuickBooks File Doctor Errors can occur in some cases. These errors can be perplexing for the user because the true cause is sometimes obscured, and manual solutions are difficult to follow. In this blog, we’ll go over how to fix problems when QuickBooks File Doctor can’t fix them. Let’s get started on the causes and, eventually, solutions for the most Common QuickBooks File Doctor Error.
- 1 QuickBooks File Doctor won’t open / quickbooks desktop file doctor not responding / quickbooks desktop file doctor stopped working
- 1.1 What is QuickBooks File Doctor
- 1.2 Causes of QuickBooks File Doctor not opening / QuickBooks File Doctor Error
- 1.3 Important things about QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- 1.4 System Requirements & Compatibility of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- 1.5 Some of The Most Common Quickbooks File Doctor Not Working Error Messages You Might Face
- 1.6 How to fix the problem “QuickBooks file doctor won’t open”
- 1.7 #1. QuickBooks File Doctor Cannot Repair
- 1.8 #2. QuickBooks File Doctor Check your network grayed out
- 1.9 #3. QuickBooks File Doctor not working
- 1.10 #4. QuickBooks File Doctor Says file is in use
- 1.11 #5. QuickBooks File doctor stopped working
- 1.12 #6. QuickBooks file doctor taking a long time
- 1.13 #7. QuickBooks File Doctor wrong password
- 1.14 FAQ
About QuickBooks File Doctor Won’t Open
|Error Name:||QuickBooks File Doctor Won’t Open||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||As the name suggests Doctor, like the professionals it also heals certain damages or corruptions in any of your QuickBooks file.||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||If UPS is missing, then a sudden drop in the power or sudden power cut can lead to the damage of the data in the Hard Drive, If the last time, the system wasn’t closed or the files not closed properly.||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptoms:||QuickBooks Desktop won’t respond or work, Windows operating system got frezon||Possible Solution:||Uninstall & Reinstall The Quickbooks File Doctor, Launch Quickbooks File Doctor Manually.|
What is QuickBooks File Doctor
As the name suggests Doctor, like the professionals it also heals certain damages or corruptions in any of your QuickBooks file. It can also help in repairing any damages in Windows or any problem related to the network setup. Imagine how would you feel when you are trying to get something fixed and the tool itself isn’t responding?
QuickBooks File doctor is an important element of troubleshooting steps when the files in your system won’t respond for various reasons. Files that have stopped responding are taken care of by the QuickBooks File Doctor which diagnoses the problem and gives a possible solution. It is a file that works absolutely efficiently making life easy for most of the firms and employers to get issues cropping up resolved.
QuickBooks users can use the QuickBooks file doctor tool to fix errors that occur when opening a company file, completely damaged company files, network errors (such as Error H101, H202, H303, H505, and others), and 6000 series error code (such as QuickBooks Error code -6000, -82, QuickBooks Error -6000, -305, QB Error -6147, etc).
Causes of QuickBooks File Doctor not opening / QuickBooks File Doctor Error
However, the company files may not open the following reasons-
- The file size for QuickBooks Pro is more than the set limit that is 200 MB and the file size for QuickBooks Enterprise is more than 450 MB
- If you are short of resources like RAM, network interface cards, virtual memory, network cables and other such things
- If UPS is missing, then a sudden drop in the power or sudden power cut can lead to the damage of the data in the Hard Drive
- If the last time, the system wasn’t closed or the files not closed properly
- If you don’t have an active anti-virus software, in that case too, you might have the problem
- If the hard drive has been infected by any evil element that makes the files store in it vulnerable to any possible damages
- Accessing the incorporated files can cause the problem
- You were trying to restore the files but not succeeded
- Updated the files
- When you try to convert the old version of a company file over a network.
- When you miss out on a few of the important QuickBooks files while the installation process is in progress.
- The error can pop out when the files are misplaced, corrupted or damaged
- When attempting to access incorporated files, you may notice that Intuit® File Doctor is unable to open the company file.
- The files were not able to be recovered.
- When converting old versions of company files over a network, QuickBooks File Doctor errors can occur.
- QuickBooks is not properly installed due to incompletely downloaded setup files.
- QuickBooks File Doctor has stopped working because the company file is either corrupt or damaged.
In order to take care of the causes and help you open the file and work on them, QuickBooks File Doctor is the ultimate resort. You can never go wrong with it. It will never give up on you. But who takes the accountability if the other factors governing the running of this file don’t work the way they are supposed to. As a result, the File Doctor doesn’t open up or takes ages to open. This can be absolutely annoying causing stress and delay in some important deadlines to be accomplished.
For all the above mentioned issues, apart from other troubleshooting steps, there is the doctor to have a look on the causes and cure the files accordingly. However for some reason the File Doctor might not open and the most obvious reasons could be that either the files didn’t have the extensions .qbw or .qba. Other reason can be that the File doctor wasn’t closed properly or it has not been updated. Another very important and the most dominating element about using File Doctor is that it works only with the QuickBooks Version of the United States. If you have QuickBooks version of Canada or the United Kingdom, the file may cease to work.
Important things about QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
There are numerous important aspects of the QuickBooks File Doctor tool that you should be aware of:
- You should uninstall the previous version of QBFD before installing the new one.
- Since all QB versions after 2015 include an inbuilt file doctor, using the external file doc tool is recommended.
- QBFD is compatible with all versions of QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- QuickBooks for MAC does not support QBFD.
- There are two different types of File Doctor tools:
- Built-in file doctor (accessible in all QuickBooks 2016 and later versions).
- Standalone version of QuickBooks File Doctor (you can download from the internet).
- If there are any errors, QBFD may appear automatically. Simply press the start button and leave the tool to work. If the doctor does not show up automatically, you can use the guide below.
System Requirements & Compatibility of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Check the system requirements and QuickBooks compatibility version;
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2016 and later versions, the QuickBooks File Doctor tool has become a built-in tool. The File Doctor tool is compatible with all QuickBooks desktops running on Windows.
- Always keep in mind that the QuickBooks File Doctor tool will not work with any Mac version of QuickBooks.
System Requirements for QuickBooks File Doctor
- QB file repair – This is not necessary to install on your system.
- Network diagnosis and repair – Use the Admin login in Windows.
- Multi-user repair and diagnosis – Verify that QuickBooks Hosting is in ON.
Some of The Most Common Quickbooks File Doctor Not Working Error Messages You Might Face
List of most common error messages users see when they got the file doctor not working error;
- QBFD.msi error in QuickBooks
- QuickBooks File Doctor Blank
- QuickBooks File Doctor won’t Open
- QB File Doctor Not Opening
- QuickBooks File Doctor Network Connectivity Greyed Out
- QBFD is Trying To Log In To The Company File
- What Are The Areas That QuickBooks File Doctor Can Fix
- QuickBooks File Doctor Not Responding
- QuickBooks File Doctor Stuck On Checking Connectivity
- QuickBooks File Doctor Hosting Mode Is Off
- QB File Doctor Check Network Connectivity Grayed Out
- QuickBooks File Doctor Has Stopped Working
- QuickBooks File Doctor Repairing Company File Login
- QuickBooks File Doctor Not Working
- QuickBooks File Doctor File In Use
- QuickBooks File Doctor .net Framework
- QuickBooks File Doctor Hangs
- QuickBooks File Doctor Fails
How to fix the problem “QuickBooks file doctor won’t open”
As it is believed that there is a solution to every problem, no matter how grave or serious the situation is. The same, I guess applies for the QuickBooks File Doctor. You can do a quick diagnosis yourself and get this sorted at your end.
1. Method One: Uninstall & Reinstall The Quickbooks File Doctor
The simplest method is to uninstall and reinstall the QuickBooks File Doctor.
Here’s how you can be helped:
- Download the most updated version of QuickBooks File Doctor from a trusted source (For Download Click here)
- Find the tool in your system either on the desktop or try locating it
- Once located, make sure you check whether you have internet on the system and all the Windows files are updated
- Now double click on the QuickBooks File doctor icon and start installing it by following the instructions that follow
- You should also make sure that the QuickBooks version you have installed is USA made and not of any other make
- You must be logged in to the system as none other but administrator
- Check to see if the Multi user mode is enabled. If it is on, you need to get it disabled
- If you are opening the file on network server, make sure that the hosting is turned on, on the other hand if you are working on workstation, you may skip this process
- Make sure to configure firewall so that port 8019 is accessible by the tool and other QuickBooks application on the client and server
- You must also configure the firewall for the QuickBooks File Doctor to open the Dynamic database. Don’t forget to configure firewall to all your server and client computers
- Firewall once configured should be enabled to work with QuickBooks with no difficulty
- After everything has been checked and completed, restart your system. A fresh start to anything can help in getting many uphill tasks easy and smooth. Restarting will ensure to clear out all the dirt that had got accumulated owing to continuous use and will make the system traffic free. Once the system is up, open the QuickBooks File Doctor to repair the company files. It should work. QuickBooks File doctor is an integral part of QuickBooks; therefore a close look at its health by keeping it and other element of your system updated and active can help you solve most of your issue without going through a task that is tedious.
2. Method Two: Launch Quickbooks File Doctor Manually
To launch the quickbooks file doctor manually, you just need to follow mentioned below steps:
- First of all, just launch the application & wait until the system displays “No Company Open” message on screen.
- Now go to the file then Utilities & then Repair file & network Problems
- When you find a dialogue box on your screen than click on Ok (Quickbooks file doctor restarts the application with administrator rights)
- Now click on Yes, which appears on the dialogue box.
- Now click on the wrench icon to start the quickbooks file doctor application & then click on continue.
- Now fill up the credentials to log in to your file.
- Now the process of repairing your file will start.
- Now go to advanced settings options & then select “file diagnosis only” then click on next.
- After the system prompts, open your file & check for issues fixed or repairs needed.
3. Method Three: Try to Restore The Backup of Corrupted QBW File
To restore the corrupted QBW file, You need to follow mentioned below steps:
- First of all, make sure to create a backup of the corrupted or damaged file, which will be used in later stages.
- Now Open the quickbooks & move head to File option >> Click on “Open or Restore Company” option.
- Now click on “Click Open or Restore a Backup Copy” & click on the next button.
- Now select the option named “Local Backup” & then click on the Next button.
- Now, you’ll find a drop-down, where you must find & choose the Backup file location.
- Now, You have to select the file having a “.QBB” extension & then move ahead by clicking on “open” option & then click on “Next” button.
- Now, you’ll see a “Save in Drop-Down”. Where you have to select the location for “Restore the Files”.
- You must put the name of the file in the name field. A “Save as” field will automatically pop up with the entry of the “*.QBW” file.
- Now, you just need to press the “Save” button to complete the restoration procedure.
4. Method Four: Turn off Hosting Mode & Configure Antivirus Software
To turn off the hosting mode & configure antivirus software, you must follow the mentioned below steps:
- First of all, Open the McAfee software & click over “Web & Email Protection” option.
- Straight head to Firewall & click on “Ports & System Services”
- Now, Click on the “Add” button
- Type the “eMule” under the services name. In Local TCP/IP ports, type the TCP data for your Quickbooks application.
- Now, under the Local UDP Port, type the TCP data for your Quickbooks application.
- Under the “Open ports too” You just need to choose “All PC”
- At last click on the “Save” button & restart your system.
#1. QuickBooks File Doctor Cannot Repair
Why does QuickBooks File Doctor Cannot Repair?
Restoring the backup of the corrupted QBW file will help you to fix it when QuickBooks File Doctor cannot Repair. Make a backup of the damaged files so that you can replace the corrupted files with the ones you saved.
How to Fix QuickBooks File Doctor Cannot Repair Problem?
- Navigate to the File tab in QuickBooks
- After that, select Open or Restore Company from the drop-down menu
- Click “Next” after selecting Open or Restore a Backup Copy
- Now, select the option called “Local Backup” followed by hitting the “Next” button.
- With this, you can look through the backup file .QBB
- Once done with that, click on the “Ok” and then “Next” button
- A Save In drop-down menu appears, from which you must choose a location for the files to be restored
- In the Name field, type the name of the file, and in the Save As field, type *.QBW
- To finish the restoration process, click “Save”.
#2. QuickBooks File Doctor Check your network grayed out
Why does QuickBooks File Doctor Check your network grayed out?
You can find out one of the error messages that will display when your system is affected by the “QuickBooks file doctor won’t open” issue. You will receive this error notification due to multiple reasons such as damaged or corrupted files, incomplete installation of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool, etc.
How to Fix QuickBooks File Doctor Check your network grayed out?
Method 1: Try manually to open your QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- To begin, open the QuickBooks file doctor and wait for the “No Company Open” window to appear on the screen
- Next, go to the File menu and select “Utility” from the drop-down menu
- Select “Network Problems” from the Repair File drop-down menu
- When you click “OK”, the file doctor launches the application using the administrator credentials.
- Now, press the “Yes” button
- Then, to open the file doctor tool, select the wrench icon
- After done with that, press the “Continue” button
- To log in to the file, type the admin credentials
- This will start the repair procedure
- After that, go to the Advanced Settings and select File Diagnosis Only
- Moving forward, “Next” should be pressed
- Finally, see if the problem is still present.
Method 2: Turn off the Host Mode and configure Antivirus Software
- To begin, open MacAfee and select Web & Email Protection
- Then select Ports and System Protection from the Firewall menu
- In the Services Name field, type eMule
- Open the Local TCP/IP ports and enter the TCP data for QuickBooks
- Then, under the Open ports option, check all workstations
- Finally, select Save and restart your computer.
#3. QuickBooks File Doctor not working
Why does QuickBooks File Doctor not working?
QuickBooks File Doctor not working or may stop if your application is hanging due to a repair procedure. This halt is determined by the size of your business and its location. This simply means that the file has been corrupted, and you must repair the QBW file to resolve the error.
How to Fix QuickBooks File Doctor not working?
Solution 1: Repair the damaged QBW file
Make a backup of your files so that you can replace any damaged files with the ones you’ve saved. To do so, follow the steps below:
- To begin, open QuickBooks and then select File from the File menu
- Now select the option to open or restore the company
- Then, select the option that says Continue by pressing the Next button after clicking Open or Restores a Back-up Copy
- Select an option “Backup locally”, then press the “Next” Button
- A drop-down menu will appear, allowing you to browse and select the backup file location
- After that, you must select a file Extension for .QBB
- Move onto the next step by clicking on Open and then pressing the Next button
- You will be presented with a Save-in drop-down menu from which you must select the location for restoring the files
- In the provided space, write the file’s name
- With the entry of the, a Save As file will be displayed automatically .QBW is a file format
- Finally, click the “Save” button to save the file that has been moved from one location to another.
If this procedure does not work, you must proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Make Use of Auto Data Recovery (ADR)
QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery automatically examines QuickBooks files and backs them up in the Auto Data Recovery Folder if they are error-free. You can restore the last error-free backup from ADR if QuickBooks File Doctor generates errors.
#4. QuickBooks File Doctor Says file is in use
Why does QuickBooks File Doctor Says file is in use?
There are several instances when QuickBooks File Doctor Says file is in use. The most common reason for the error is that another user is using the same file. When multi-user hosting is disabled, you will not be able to access the company file if the file is open on another computer. If the server or workstations are not properly configured for hosting, an error message may appear. Such problems can be caused by any third-party application that affects QuickBooks’ background processes.
How to Fix QuickBooks File Doctor Says file is in use?
Method 1: Multi-User Hosting should be disabled on both the server and the workstations.
- Go to the File menu in the QuickBooks application on your server computer
- Click “Stop Hosting Multi-user Access” in the Utilities section
- Close the application by clicking the “Yes” button
- Carry out the same procedure on all of your workstations
- Return to the Utilities menu and select “Start Hosting Multi-user Access” from the drop-down menu
- Carry out the same procedure on all workstations.
If it doesn’t help, follow the next method.
Method 2: QuickBooks on the Server needs to be restarted.
- Open your server computer after exiting QuickBooks on all workstations
- From the ‘Start’ menu, select the ‘Run’ command
- Press the Enter key after typing “service.msc”
- Choose QuickBooksDBXX (XX varies depending on the QuickBooks version installed on the computer) from the drop-down menu
- QuickBooks Database Services should be restarted
- After a few seconds, click the Stop button and then the Windows Start button.
Try accessing the company file right now to see if you can.
#5. QuickBooks File doctor stopped working
Why does QuickBooks File doctor stopped working?
QuickBooks File Doctor combines the “QuickBooks 2014 R4” application with newer versions. Intuit created the software application to help QuickBooks users fix errors and other minor issues. Users have reported that the software has stopped working, crashed, hung, or displayed an exception on a few occasions. When this happens, the app displays an error message that reads, “QuickBooks File Doctor stopped working”. Damaged, misplaced, and corrupted files, unsuccessful restore files, improper installation of your QB are few reasons that could lead to this error.
How to Fix QuickBooks File doctor stopped working?
When QuickBooks File Doctor is launched automatically, it occasionally fails and displays an error message. For the files that are damaged, you must first make a backup. Backups aid in the replacement of corrupted files with previously saved versions. Sometimes, the issue might be as simple as a fault within the launch command receiving end. So try launching the QuickBooks File doctor application manually and the steps for the same are already discussed in the above section.
#6. QuickBooks file doctor taking a long time
Why does QuickBooks File doctor stopped working?
With the help of Auto Data Recovery, QB files are examined on their own. QuickBooks file doctor takes a longer time than usual to fabricate the files. In this case, a backup of your error-free files is automatically saved in the Auto Data Recovery folder. This backup will only be available for a period of 12 to 24 hours. The backup stays time is equal to the application running time, so the timing is also dependent on the QuickBooks application. If you exit the application, the backup will be erased.
How to Fix QuickBooks file doctor taking a long time?
To avoid this problem, make sure that the QuickBooks file size limit is less than 2 GB, that an internet connection is required to upload the company file, and that the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed on the computer. If the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed on the computer, the Network connectivity diagnosis and repair option will not work properly. If QuickBooks File Doctor still taking a long time to load or open then you try to uninstall and reinstall by following the below steps:
- From a reliable source, obtain the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Save the downloaded file to the Downloads folder, which is the default location
- Go to the Downloads folder after a successful download
- To start the installation on your computer, double-click the downloaded file
- The Setup Wizard appears, and the installation procedure begins
- By clicking on the Yes button, you must accept the License Agreement
- Then keep clicking Next until you reach the option to install
- The installation begins when you click the Install Option, and it displays a progress bar
- When the status bar is finished, click the Finish button to complete the installation
- Next, right-click on the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon
- Select an option To use the tool, first open it
- Choose the appropriate option. Problems with Company File
- Then follow the instructions for running the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
#7. QuickBooks File Doctor wrong password
Why does QuickBooks File Doctor wrong password?
In order to run this tool, admin credentials are a must but at times, it says QuickBooks File Doctor wrong password when you enter your credentials. Usually it happens if you have entered the wrong password, you might have forgotten your password, or there is something wrong with the tool itself. Before you use the tool, make sure your QuickBooks software is up-to-date and also verify that your PC is running a single version of QB Desktop software.
How to Fix QuickBooks File Doctor wrong password?
Let’s try to run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool using the below steps:
- First, you need to select the Company File Issues from the Tool Hub
- Then select the option “Run QBFD”
- It takes few moments to run and be patient till it run
- Now, select the Company file from the drop-down menu within the QuickBooks File Doctor tab
- If you’re not able to see the file, then browse and try to find the file
- Also, you are required to choose the option “Check the file” followed by hitting the “Continue” button
- In the end, enter the correct QuickBooks admin password and then click “Next”.
The scan time is dependent on the file size, which should be noted. It could take up to five minutes in the majority of cases. You’ll need to open QuickBooks and the company file after the scan is completed. Even if the scan was unsuccessful, the problems might have been solved.
If used properly, the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool can be a magical tool. After reading the detailed information shared in this post, we will be able to make the best use of QBFD by the end of this article. However, the technicalities of the software and tool may cause confusion among users and may land up some Common QuickBooks File Doctor Error. With this above suggested resolution, hopefully you’ll be able to resolve your queries with ease. In that case, you are recommended to get expert assistance, just leave your queries on the Live Chat box and you will be replied with the best possible resolutions.
Related Post – Fix: QuickBooks Error 3371 Status Code -11118
Why QuickBooks File Doctor Won’t open?
This error happens when the user installs the corrupted or damaged files of QuickBooks File Doctor. This tool is one of the best options to detect and correct all QB-related errors. To avoid these errors, check and ensure that you installed the latest version of the QuickBooks File Doctor tool (From the official intuit website).
How would I resolve the QuickBooks File Doctor won’t open?
To fix this error, you need to restore the QuickBooks File Doctor from the saved folder and then update the latest version of the QuickBooks or you can manually launch the QuickBooks Doctor File.
What are the bad effects of QuickBooks File Doctor won’t open?
This tool automatically detects and corrects most of the QuickBooks errors. If the user can’t open the file then the error message appears on your screen repeatedly and interrupts your current work.