XPS stands for XML Paper Specification, which is a non-Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) alternative (PDF). Because Windows provides significant support, this is a format that comes with any Windows operating system. Because it can be read by numerous programs, XPS is the preferred document format in current Windows versions.
While any software that can print can create .xps files, the only way to read XPS documents is to use an XPS Viewer. Unfortunately, while printing XPS documents, users have encountered that they commonly receive the following error, regardless of the printer they are using: XPS printer failed error. Mismatch issues in the operating system related to the printer driver are frequently the cause of the error. This article entails complete details for this QuickBooks printing issue.
About QuickBooks XPS Printer Failed Error
|XPS Printer Failed Error
|QuickBooks Desktop won’t respond or work, and the Windows operating system is frozen.
|Unfortunately, while printing XPS documents, users have encountered that they commonly receive the following error, regardless of the printer they are using: XPS printer failed error.
|Windows 10, and Windows 11
|Problems with software installed on your computer., Computer memory allocation errors can also be caused by malicious viruses.
|Use the Install PC Repair & Optimizer Tool, Try enabling the XPS option for the Printer.
Reasons behind the “QuickBooks XPS Printer Failed” issue
Multiple factors could lead to this printing issue and a few of them are listed below:
- When the chips in the computer memory card have problems and cannot be read properly by the computer.
- If the internal hard drive is damaged, such PC memory allocation errors can also occur.
- You might have downloaded an incompatible driver on your system after reinstalling the operating system and downloading or updating your PC drivers.
- Problems with software installed on your computer.
- Computer memory allocation errors can also be caused by malicious viruses.
How to Resolve the “QuickBooks XPS Printer Failed” error?
Method 1: Use the Install PC Repair & Optimizer Tool
It is highly suggested that you use this tool for your error. This tool also detects and fixes common computer faults, protects you from file loss, spyware, and hardware failures, and optimizes your device for maximum performance. Moreover, this tool will assist you in resolving your PC issues and preventing future ones:
- Install the PC Repair & Optimizer Tool on your Windows OS
- Click on the “Start Scan” to find out what issues are causing PC issues
- Click on “Repair All” to rectify all issues.
Method 2: Modify the Default XPS Driver
Inconsistencies in the operating system’s printer driver frequently cause an “XPS printer failed” error. In this scenario, changing the default XPS or class driver with the manufacturer’s PS or PCL printer driver has shown to be a successful solution.
Note: The XPS driver will be installed automatically if you allow Windows to make all of the settings when installing the printer.
- Select Settings from the machine’s menu
- Go to the Devices >>> Printers and Scanners >>> Your Printer >>> Manage Printers >>> Printer Properties >>> Advanced tab
- Go to the printer manufacturer’s page if you don’t see an alternative to the printer driver (i.e. if the PCL or PS driver components were not installed when you installed the printer)
- Look for a PostScript or generic printer driver
- It is available for download and installation. Make sure it’s v3 rather than v4, as v3 is more flexible
- During installation, you may be asked for your IP address, so be prepared
- You may need to restart your computer
It’s also a good idea to switch from PCL XL to PCL 5e in your PDL (printer driver language) settings.
Method 3: Try enabling the XPS option for the Printer
- To begin, press the Windows key to bring up the Windows start menu
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu
- Choose your devices
- Select Printers & Scanners from the drop-down menu
- Select the printer you want to get rid of and click “Remove Device”
- Now that the printer has been taken away or removed.
Method 4: XPS Document Writer must be tested, reinstalled, and permissions adjusted (for users who use Windows but not Terminal Services)
Consider the following before proceeding with this solution:
- Microsoft programs are not supported by Intuit, and these tools are not responsible.
- If you’re not comfortable with these tasks, you’re suggested to enlist the help of an IT expert.
The steps involved in this method:
Step 1: Test the XPS Document Writer and print outside QuickBooks
- Select Print from the File menu
- Select Microsoft XPS Document Writer from the list of printers in the Print box, then click Print
- Save the .xps file to the desktop of your computer
- Search for the .xps file on your desktop:
- Try to open the.xps file if it exists. The XPS Document Writer must be reinstalled if you receive an error when opening it or if the file does not display correctly.
- If the file isn’t there and you didn’t get an error when you saved it, the problem could be a security setting. It will not allow you to print and may destroy the.xps file once it has been produced.
- If QB fails to print due to an issue, or if the XPS Document Writer isn’t available, it has to be reinstalled.
Step 2: Verify XPS Services are enabled
- To open the explorer window, hit the Windows key + E on your keyboard
- In the upper left, click the Computer tab
- Under the System section, select Uninstall or modify a program
- Select Turn Windows Features On or Off from the drop-down menu
- Make sure the XPS Services and XPS Viewer are enabled by scrolling down (check-marked)
- Place a checkmark in both boxes and hit OK if one or both aren’t enabled. After you’ve enabled both services, test QuickBooks to determine if the problem has been resolved
- Reinstall the XPS printer if they’re both enabled and you’re still getting issues.
Step 3: Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer
For Windows 7 & Vista
- Select Devices & Printers from the Windows Start menu
- Remove the device by selecting the Microsoft XPS Document Writer icon
- To confirm, select “Yes”
- Select “Add a printer” from the toolbar followed by selecting “Add a local printer” option
- After that, select the “use an existing port” option
- Then select XPSPort: (Local Port) and then hit “Next”
- Under the manufacturer list, select “Microsoft and then Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 followed by hitting the “Next” tab
- In the end, select the “Replace the current driver” tab and then click “Next”.
For Windows 8
- The Start Screen can be accessed by hovering the mouse in the bottom or upper right corner
- Select Settings >>> Control Panel >>> Devices and Printers from the drop-down menu
- Remove the Microsoft XPS Document Writer device by selecting it
- To confirm, select Yes
- Select Add a printer from the toolbar, then Add a local printer or network print with manual settings
- Select PORTPROMPT: (Local Port) in the Use an existing port section and then click “Next”
- Select Microsoft from the manufacturer list, then Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4, and again click “Next”
- Next, select the option to replace the current driver
- Remove v4 from the Printer Name field and replace it with Microsoft XPS Document Writer
- In the end, select the “Finish” button.
Step 4: Adjust Windows user permissions for the XPS Document Writer
- In Windows, go to the Printers Control Panel
- Choose Printer properties from the right-click menu of the Microsoft XPS Document Writer (Windows 8)
- Select the Security option
- Choose the Everyone user group from the drop-down menu
- (Optional) If the Everyone group isn’t on the list, do one of the following:
- a) Click the Add button.
- b) Select Check Names and enter “Everyone in the Form” and then click “OK”
- Select Print in the Allow column followed by clicking “OK”
- In Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\System32\spool
- Select “Printers” >> “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Security option and then choose “Edit”
- Next, “Add” is the option to choose followed by selecting “Enter” after typing Local Service
- Select “OK” after ensuring that Local Service has Full Control
- Try to make a .pdf file and then open QuickBooks.
Step 5: Edit security software settings
.xps files can also be prevented by changing the settings in your security software, such as Norton Antivirus or McAfee Firewall. Check your security software’s settings to ensure sure.XPS files aren’t being blocked.
So, troubleshooting printing issues in Windows can be very simple by implementing the above-suggested solutions. Moreover, visit www.bigxperts.com to explore more about QuickBooks printing issues. Meanwhile, you can use our Live Chat option to get your queries resolved.
Does Windows 10 have an XPS viewer?
You may view, copy, print, sign, and set permissions for XPS documents with the XPS Viewer software. The way you obtain XPS Viewer from Microsoft is changing. The program is included in the installation image in Windows 10 version 1709 and prior versions.
Where do I find XPS files in Windows?
By default, Windows saves .xps files in your Documents folder. If you want to add a digital signature to an XPS document before sending or sharing it.
Do I need to install an XPS driver to fix the XPS printer failed issue?
XPS files may not print properly without an XPS driver. XPS is a document format that allows you to have more control over how a document appears on a computer and paper. Because XPS is not the same as regular printing, you may require a specific driver to print XPS files.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support