It’s time to convert to QuickBooks Online if you want to have access to your accounting software from any location. Most of the time, switching from QuickBooks Desktop to Online is simple and quick. Data migration from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online is now the norm, further simplifying matters. To access the data from any location, you might choose to switch from QuickBooks Desktop to Online.
What Does the Terms “QuickBooks Desktop to Online” Mean?
When a QuickBooks user says they need to convert QuickBooks Enterprise to Online, they usually imply moving the files and data from one QB software type to another. QuickBooks Online, Pro, Premier, and Enterprise all have different features, tools, and upgrades. Users can pick them based on their needs. If, for any reason, they prefer the other variety, they may easily switch. Migrating data from QuickBooks Desktop to Online can help to safeguard your company/enterprise, increase efficiency, and take your organization to the next level. It even offers you access 24 hours a day, seven days a week: QuickBooks Online allows you to work from anywhere, and you or your accounting company may access protected data at your leisure. It also reduces human data entry by automatically categorizing bank and credit card transactions, eliminating clerical mistakes while increasing efficiency. This leads us to importing data from QuickBooks Desktop to online.
Are You Certain You Want To Migrate To QuickBooks Online?
- Make sure your decision is firm enough before you begin. QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop are both excellent tools, but there are several factors to consider before deciding if your firm is a suitable candidate for transfer.
- The intricacy of the corporate file greatly influences the success of the transfer operation. This file contains all company information, such as inventory, personnel information, customer lists, banking history, accounting records, and so on.
- Big corporate files are frequently complicated, with long histories, big inventory, and high total file sizes. If you are a QuickBooks enterprise customer, this may signal that your company file is not a strong candidate for transfer due to its complexity.
- This normally does not exclude you from migrating to QuickBooks Online if you recognize that the growth of your organization may necessitate more setup in QuickBooks Online.
- If you own a small or medium-sized business and use QuickBooks desktop pro, premier, or premier accountant, you can quickly migrate to QuickBooks online.
Reasons to Switch From QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online
- QuickBooks Online may be accessed from any computer with an internet connection, but QuickBooks Desktop is limited to a single machine. This is especially handy for business owners who travel frequently or have remote personnel.
- QuickBooks Online is automatically updated with the newest features and bug fixes, but QuickBooks Desktop requires manual upgrades.
- QuickBooks Online allows several users to view the same company file at the same time, making it easier for teams to cooperate on financial chores.
- QuickBooks Online interacts with a range of other business platforms, like PayPal, Square, and Shopify, making it easier to manage all parts of your business in one spot.
- QuickBooks Online offers access to hundreds of add-ons that are often unavailable in the Desktop edition.
- When you migrate to QuickBooks Online, your data is hosted in a highly secure environment of top-tier servers, rather than on local networks or discs.
- QBO allows you to sign up more users than QB Desktop.
- You do not incur hosting charges while converting QuickBooks Enterprise to QuickBooks Online. QBO is stored on Intuit’s servers and may be accessed from there.
- QuickBooks Online provides significantly greater accessibility than QuickBooks Desktop. You do not need to run to the workplace computer to make a change, entry, or anything. Instead, you may accomplish the same thing simply by signing in from any location.
Standard Requirements for Importing Data from QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Following are the essential prerequisites that must be satisfied before learning how to transfer QuickBooks Desktop to Online:
- Internet Explorer 10 or later is required.
- A functioning internet connection.
- Subscription to QuickBooks Online Essentials or Plus.
- QuickBooks Company file that is no more than 60 days old.
- Admin access to QuickBooks Online.
Steps for Moving from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online
Here’s how to import data from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online. Follow the step-by-step directions for a free and flawless Problems Converting QuickBooks Desktop to Online method.
Step 1: Examine Important Information:
- QuickBooks Desktop data may only be imported within the first 60 days of starting a QuickBooks Online firm. When you import desktop data into QuickBooks Online, the online file is replaced and the current information is overwritten. Make a backup to cross-check and save if necessary.
- Our recommendation is to keep your data file in QB Desktop and keep transactions in both books until you are certain you want to switch from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online.
- It is critical to remember that not all information will be imported. While importing, there are several restrictions that may apply to specific items. Before you begin, read and comprehend that list.
- Both versions will have changes in features. So, investigate these before converting QuickBooks desktop payroll to online payroll.
- If you are using a QB Desktop version prior to 2016, you must download and install the updated trial, recover the business file, and then utilize it to convert QuickBooks desktop to online.
- During the conversion process, an admin login is essential in both QB Desktop and online.
- Converting from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online begins with QB Desktop, not QB Online.
- You should not do QuickBooks import when Payroll is running on QB Online.
- Make a copy of all sales filings and ensure that they are up to date. After importing payroll data into QuickBooks online, changes may be necessary. You may get a copy of your Sales Tax Liability report by doing the following:
- Select Vendors and Payables from the Reports menu. Select Sales Tax Liability after that. Here’s how to easily upload a QuickBooks file to QuickBooks online:
- Select All from the drop-down menu of dates.
- The Print drop-down menu is located at the top. Select it and click the Save as PDF option to import it into QuickBooks automatically.
- Choose the folder where you want to save the PDF, give it a name, and click Save. This will assure the smooth implementation of how to transfer payroll from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online.
- The QuickBooks File must not surpass the target of 750,000. To check your Total targets, use Ctrl + 1.
- When uploading a QuickBooks file to QuickBooks online, keep track of what moves and what doesn’t.
Step 2: QuickBooks Desktop Company Data Export:
QuickBooks Enterprise Files
If you’re a QB Enterprise customer who frequently uses its sophisticated capabilities, you should think twice before importing QuickBooks Online to your Desktop. Otherwise, proceed as follows:
- To open the Product Information pane, launch your company file and press Ctrl + 1 or the F2 key on the keyboard.
- Next, hold down the Ctrl key while pressing B + Q.
- To exit the Product Information, press OK.
- Then, to connect to QB Online, follow the steps that appear on the screen. To avoid QuickBooks desktop to online conversion difficulties, carefully follow the procedures.
QuickBooks Desktop Pro/ Premier Files
First, choose the file you wish to export, then navigate to company > Export company file to QuickBooks Online.
- If your QuickBooks desktop is not up to date, you may not be able to find the export option. In such cases, complete the procedures outlined below to convert QuickBooks from desktop to online:
- Click the Help icon, then Update QuickBooks.
- Select all in the Update Now box and click Get Updates.
- After finishing the changes, go to Close > File > Exit.
- Reopen QuickBooks and complete the installation of the updates.
- Now Sign in to your QuickBooks Online account. For further information, read How to Transfer QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.
- Create a new company or choose an existing one to import your data into and follow the instructions. The import might now take up to 24 hours.
- After your QuickBooks payroll import is complete, you will get an email.
Step 3: Import your data into QuickBooks Online:
The following step in the QuickBooks desktop to online import procedure is to login to the QB Online edition and begin the process:
- You must enter your QB Online login information, such as username and password. Accept all of the terms of service before signing in to convert QB desktop to online.
- When you have inventory in your file and use QB Desktop version 2016 or later, a window asking “do you want to bring your inventory” will show. Continue reading to learn how to move QuickBooks online to desktop.
- It is important to remember that the inventory-tracking feature is not accessible in the QB Online Simply Start and Essential editions. It is available in QB Online’s Plus and Advanced versions.
- Then, choose the QB Online firm where you wish to import QuickBooks data. You can also form a new corporation for the purpose.
- Hit OK, I got it.
- If everything went well, you will get an email with instructions on how to effectively import QuickBooks Online to your Desktop. However, it might take anything from 24 to 48 hours.
- If Payroll is already enabled in QuickBooks online, do not attempt to import your file. If you utilize payroll, first suspend the payroll function before attempting to import the files.
Issues with converting QB Desktop to Online
Generally, if you pay attention to the important details and avoid making mistakes, the process of importing QB Desktop to Online will go easily. However, issues with converting QuickBooks Online to Desktop may develop during or after the files are moved.
File too big to export:
“Your file is too big for export.”
When converting from QuickBooks online to QuickBooks desktop, a typical error message appears. It arises as a result of the QuickBooks Desktop file being unable to contain more targets than the constraints specified. When you do QuickBooks online import from desktop, the following total objectives are specified for different QB versions and editions:
- QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 2020 and later (US) – 750,000 targets
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier 2018 and newer (US) – 750,000 targets to look for when importing data from QuickBooks online to desktop.
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier 2020 and later (CA) – 750,000 targets
- QuickBooks Desktop UK – 350,000 people are expected to switch from QuickBooks online to desktop.
- 350,000 QuickBooks Desktop Mac targets
- To resolve this problem while exporting QuickBooks desktop to online, press F2 or Ctrl + 1 (Command + 1 on Mac) on your keyboard. The Product Information box will appear, allowing you to verify the number of targets.
- If the total number of targets exceeds these restrictions, condense your QuickBooks Data file. It will aid in the smooth import of files into QuickBooks desktop.
Import Eligibility Check Error:
Another frustrating issue that occurs while importing QB Desktop to Online is as follows:
“Error: There was an issue when checking this company for import eligibility.”
The following creates this problem when importing to QuickBooks online:
- While importing into QuickBooks Pro, you do not have primary admin, business admin, or accountant access in the QB Online firm.
- There may be problems with QuickBooks Online Payroll account services.
- Signing in to the Online account prior to exporting QuickBooks desktop to online did not take place.
- The setup interview in QB Online has yet to be completed.
- You attempted to import a QBW file into QuickBooks online at least 60 days after the subscription started.
When learning how to import data from QuickBooks desktop to online, here’s how to remedy this issue:
- Begin by logging in to QB Online and completing the interview question setup.
- Before you begin how to export QuickBooks desktop to online, you must first sign in as a business or primary admin.
- You must re-save the corporate address.
- If you continue to receive this problem while importing data into QuickBooks desktop, create a new QB online account. Make sure to cancel your previous subscription.
Converting QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online can be a wise decision for business owners who wish to increase accessibility, collaboration, integration, cost-effectiveness, and data security. QuickBooks Online provides a subscription-based pricing plan, automated updates, multiple-user access, a mobile app, and data backup, making it a handy and dependable alternative for small company owners. Finally, the choice to migrate to QuickBooks Online should be based on your company’s objectives, goals, and budget.
Q. What does not import when migrating files from QBD to QBO?
The following are the few objects that do not translate from QBD to QBO:
- Reports on bank, credit card, and account reconciliation.
- Credit card charges that are recurring.
- Inventory from QuickBooks for Mac.
- Audit trail.
Q. What data may be transferred from QuickBooks Online to Desktop?
You can convert most of your QuickBooks Online data to Desktop, including your chart of accounts, customers, vendors, goods, services, transactions, and more. However, some data, such as payroll, online payments, and attachments, may not be transmitted or may need additional processes.
Q. How can I move data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop?
To export your data from QuickBooks Online to Desktop, log in to your account, click the gear icon, and then select “Export Data.” You may then choose the data you wish to export, the format (such as Excel or CSV), and save the file to your computer. The data may then be imported into QuickBooks Desktop using the import wizard.
Q. Why are businesses migrating from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online?
When there are several users, businesses prefer QuickBooks Online since it is less expensive than QuickBooks Desktop. They also want to be able to view their corporate data remotely, connect with team members effortlessly, and link their accounting software with other third-party programs.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support