Importing payroll data from CSV files into QuickBooks is a great way to get set up and run payroll quickly. It is also considered a handy way to perform bulk updates of your employee data. In QuickBooks, you can easily import or export your data; if you need to upgrade, change, or create a new company file instead of starting from scratch. But before you move to import or export data, it is important to know the file type and format that QuickBooks supports.
A comma separates each field in the file from the next. Although you can generate and edit CSV files with any text editor, such as Notepad, most spreadsheets support this file format. In this article, you will come to know the complete process to import CSV Payroll files to QuickBooks using QB Import Excel and CSV Toolkit.
Get a Free Guide to Avoid QuickBooks Errors
Headache🥺. That’s what We get when trying to fix an error in QuickBooks Desktop. So, there are 13 professional tips to minimize common QuickBooks mistakes that many accountants and business owners make.
Get these 13 tips to keep your QuickBooks Desktop Error-Free.
Things to know before CSV file import or export for payroll
QuickBooks users usually use direct deposits for their employees’ paychecks. The bank requires its own Excel format which includes “Last Name” and “First Name”. When I run the payroll report in CSV format the report looks like any other Excel report and the employee names are in one column – for example Lastname, firstname.
Import Payroll CSV file in QuickBooks
There may come a time in your business when you need to redesign, change over, or create a new CSV record. At that point, QB CSV import will come in handy. CSV stands for Comma-Separated Values in its full form. CSV files are simple content records that will, in most cases, contain consistent data. In this way, the fields in any record are separated by commas in the middle.
QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV Toolkit consist of few things such as CSV and XLS models organizer, import structure Excel and CSV manual, and permitted fields. To import the payroll file in a CSV file format, you need to install the Toolkit. The Toolkit contains the following:
- Import from Excel and CSV manual – It contains a PDF document with instructions, best practices, and notes.
- CSV example folder – 4 sample CSV files for each type of list.
- XLS example folder – an example Excel file containing 4 worksheets, one for each type of list.
- Allowed fields – A reference guide explaining which fields are available for Excel and CSV import.
Step-by-step instructions to install QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV Toolkit
- In the beginning, open the file download window for the toolkit
- Next, click on the Save button
- Move to the Windows desktop and then select the Save button once again
- Now, double-click on the QuickBooks_Import_Excel_and_CSV.exe to open the WinZip Self-Extractor window
- After that, select Browse and then the folder where you wish to install the toolkit
- Once done hit the OK button
- Select the Unzip in order to remove the content and then click “Close to close the WinZip Self-Extractor” tab
- In the end, open the QuickBooks Import CSV folder from the location that you choose.
Steps to import CSV Payroll files to QuickBooks
After you’ve completed the download and installation of QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV Toolkit, you can quickly begin the QuickBooks CSV import procedure.
The best method for QuickBooks CSV import is to follow the steps below:
- Initially, go to the Banking section from the left-side menu tab
- Select the “Update drop-down’ or ‘Upload transactions manually” option
- Next, click on the tab called “File to upload/ File Upload”
- Then select the browse and look for the .csv file that has been saved
- Once found then select it and hit the “Next” button
- Click on the account to import from the QuickBooks account section
- After that, click again the Next button
- Map the fields according to the .csv file format and then click “Next”
- Once done with that select the CSV file to import and again click “Next”
- Click “Yes” to the number which is given in the notification
- Once you receive confirmation then hit “Finish”
- Finally, you can view the payroll transactions that are imported from CSV files.
Steps to import a Payroll file
- First, select the search icon and enter General Journals then select the related link
- Choose the action “Import Payroll Transactions” in the relevant general journal batch
- An assisted setup guide window will open
- Here, you have to follow the instructions which appear on your “Import Payroll Transactions” page
- When you select OK in the assisted setup guide the General Journal page is filled with lines reflecting the transactions in the payroll file, as well as relevant accounts prefilled in the G/L Account fields based on the mappings you created in the guide
- As with any other general ledger transaction, you can edit or post the journal lines.
Hopefully, this article is useful for you and helps you in importing Payroll CSV files in QuickBooks. You can quickly see which most recent payroll transactions have been imported by successfully applying the steps that are discussed above. In case, if you face any problems then you can reach out to QuickBooks Proadvisors.
Things That Can be Imported to QuickBooks from Various Ways
Import Wells Fargo Payroll Details to QuickBooks
Import CSV Payroll Files into QuickBooks
Import Payroll into QuickBooks
Import Payroll data from QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Import Accountant’s Changes In QuickBooks
Import Payroll IIF file into QuickBooks
Import payroll from QuickBooks Online to Desktop
Import Payroll Data to from XML to QuickBooks
Import Square Payroll Data into QuickBooks
Import Payroll Data into QuickBooks
Import Payroll Files into QuickBooks
Import Payroll Hours into QuickBooks
Import ADP Payroll Into QuickBooks Online & Desktop
QuickBooks Import to CSV Files
Import Payroll Template into QuickBooks
Import Accounts Details into QuickBooks
Import .QBB file into QuickBooks
Import Employee Data into QuickBooks Payroll
Import Gusto Payroll into QuickBooks
Import IIF File into QuickBooks
Import Credit Card Transactions In Quickbooks Desktop
Import voluntary payroll deductions into QuickBooks
Import Transactions into QuickBooks
Import Payroll Item list into QuickBooks
QuickBooks Import & Export – Issues & Guides
QuickBooks Import & Export – Issues & Guides
QuickBooks Transaction Pro Importer Error Message
QuickBooks Import Error
Import Support ↗
QuickBooks Import & Exports Support
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support