There is a provision in QuickBooks that you can install multiple versions of QuickBooks in just one computer. QuickBooks Desktop is one of the leading accounting software that is available in the global market for small and medium industries. It is available in three editions i.e. QuickBooks Desktop Pro, QuickBooks Desktop Premier and QuickBooks Enterprise. They also have a special edition especially designed for the accountants known as the QuickBooks Accountant Edition.
Here are some important points that are to be strictly followed, if you want to install the multiple version of QuickBooks in one PC:
- Both the QuickBooks Premier and Pro version of QuickBooks desktop use similar installation files, so you cannot install the same version of QuickBooks Premier and Pro in the same computer system.
- The QuickBooks Desktop Accountant Edition is generally considered as its own edition but it is often considered as a version of QuickBooks Premier desktop. You have an option to toggle Accountant edition with any version
of either Pro or Premier desktop.
- Only one version of QuickBooks Desktop can be installed per Enterprise or Premier Edition.
- You can easily open multiple version of QuickBooks at a time. For example: if you are working on the QuickBooks Premier Desktop 2018 and want to open QuickBooks Premier Desktop 2017, then you can open it without closing the Premier 2018.
- Only one edition of QuickBooks application can be used at a time i.e. you can’t use Premier and Enterprise at the same time. You will have to close any one of them to open the other one.
- QuickBooks for multiple region cannot be installed on the single system.
- You cannot share data between two different versions of QuickBooks Desktop or different years.
- The procedure of installing the manual update are different for different versions of QuickBooks desktop. While updating your application manually, you will receive a prompt that will ask you to select which edition of QuickBooks is to be updated as you have installed multiple edition on your system.
Steps to install more than one version/editions of QuickBooks Desktop on your system:
Here are some steps that are followed properly in order to successfully install the different versions of QuickBooks desktop on your system.
- Run the previously downloaded version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Change the location for installation.
1. Go to Custom & Network options and press Next.
2. You will a dialog box with Upgrade or Change Installation Location on your computer screen. Choose the first option that can be seen i.e. Change the install location.
3. This step is optional. You can press Change or Browse option if you are going to manually choose the different installation folder.
- Press Next.
- Complete the entire installation process by following the whole procedure.
- You can use the shortcut that is created on the desktop to open your version of QuickBooks that is installed recently.