QuickBooks error 12157 causes the accounting software to shut down when the user tries to download and install payroll software. It may even freeze the software and the operating system. Generally, this payroll update error occurs because of an incorrect time and date on the user’s system. Internet Explorer settings and windows firewall configurations may also cause this error. While users are able to easily update the accounting software, they cannot access the latest payroll information because of this error.
Creating inbound and outbound firewall rules to add Quickbooks desktop as an exception can fix the Quickbooks error 12157. Configuring the internet explorer settings is often required so that the accounting software can easily access the online servers to download the updated files. Another instance or version of QuickBooks running on the same system may also cause the error. So users can look through the processes in the task manager to find any duplicate or conflicting ones.
In this post, you’ll learn how to fix Quickbooks error 12157.
About QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12157
|Error Code:||Error 12157||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||Most commonly caused by faulty internet connection settings and Windows Firewall related issues||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||When the date or time setting on your system is incorrect, In case of corrupted QB file may also cause an error in the update.||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptom:||Firewall setting and web security applications, the System will automatically crash||Possible Solution:||Firewall / Third Party Application Configuration, Restore The System|
What Is QuickBooks Error 12157 & How To Fix It?
QuickBooks Error 12157 comes under the 12000 error code series that results due to Web connectivity issues in Windows operating system with Microsoft Win32 Internet or also called as WinInet API. This API is used by QuickBooks in order to swiftly access Internet Protocols like FTP, HTTP, and Gopher. The QuickBooks Error 12157 generally occurs when either downloading or installing updates with the software.
These error stop updates to get integrated with the software which can cause serious issues in the future as these updates generally consist of fixes for the bugs reported for the current version along with some powerful features that enhance the experience of the software.
- 1 About QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12157
- 2 What Is QuickBooks Error 12157 & How To Fix It?
- 3 Causes of QuickBooks Error 12157
- 4 Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12157
- 5 Five Resolution Options for Fix QuickBooks Error 12157
- 6 FAQs
- 6.1 Why does the firewall block the QuickBooks program?
- 6.2 Can you verify the firewall is blocking internet connection?
- 6.3 What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12157?
- 6.4 Name the files which need internet access to prevent the QuickBooks error 12157?
- 6.5 What do you mean by web-connectivity issues behind the QuickBooks error 12157?
- 6.6 Can system restore help you to fix QuickBooks error 12157?
Causes of QuickBooks Error 12157
The Error Code 12157 can be a direct result of any of the following reasons:
- Restrictive settings of Firewall (personal) and Internet security applications.
- More than one version of QuickBooks software on the same computer system of same year such as QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2016 and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Solutions 16.0.
- Certain settings regarding Internet or Security applications can also cause this error to crop up while updating your QuickBooks Desktop software.
There are certain resolutions listed below for your perusal which can help to fix the issue manually and swiftly. It is recommended that you try to update your software after every resolution to know which one fixes the problem.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12157
Important Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12157 Is Given Below.
- Firewall setting and web security applications
- System will automatically crash
- Your System may be slow
Five Resolution Options for Fix QuickBooks Error 12157
1. Solution One: Advance Settings
- Close QuickBooks and then go to Internet Explorer.
- After opening proceed to Tools tab in Menu Bar and then to Internet options.
- Now click on Advanced Tab.
- Select Restore Advanced Settings tab and close the Window.
2. Solution Two: Firewall / Third Party Application Configuration
The settings of Firewall and other third party security applications at times restrict QuickBooks to update the software and payroll as well. It should allow incoming and outgoing access through 10172 ports.
The files that will require Internet access are as follows:
3. Solution Three: Modify The Internet Connection Settings
Incorrect internet connection settings might cause error.
Here are the steps you have to perform:
- Open the QuickBooks
- Locate the Help option
- Choose internet connection setup
- Click Use my computer’s internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application access the internet
- Once done then hit on Next option
- Locate advanced connection settings
- Click on advanced option
- Choose the restore advanced settings button
- Click OK and then Hit on done.
4. Solution Four: Restore The System
You can use the restore option to recover the files and data that might cause the error.
Here is the list of steps:
- Log in as an Administrator mode
- To begin, locate the start option of your computer
- Select All Programs
- Choose Accessories and Hit on System Tools
- Click on System Restore option
- Once done, the user is required to open new window
- Hit on Re-install my PC and then Click on Next button
- Choose a restore point and then click Next option
- Click advanced system to restore the point
- Hit Next appearing on the confirmation window
- At last, Reboot the system
5. Solution Five: Reset The System’s Date And Time
You can follow the below-mentioned steps to rectify the issue by resolving System date and time:
- Firstly, look at the right bottom corner of your system to discover the clock
- Do a right-click with the mouse associated with the system
- Click on Adjust Date/Time option in the list
- Set the current date and time as well
- Give a click on OK button after fixing the date and time
- Now close the QuickBooks
- After that re-open the Software
Need Experts Help
Why does the firewall block the QuickBooks program?
Window Firewall, by default, blocks entire programs you are attempting to send or receive data across the internet to prevent malware. You can modify these settings according to your preferences.
Can you verify the firewall is blocking internet connection?
💠Enter cmd in the search box
💠Perform Right-click on the Command Prompt
💠Choose Run as Administrator
💠Write netsh firewall show state
💠It will display the list of active port and blocked in the firewall
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12157?
💠Your system freeze automatically
💠System slow to response
💠The message prompts regarding firewalls settings and other antivirus software
Name the files which need internet access to prevent the QuickBooks error 12157?
What do you mean by web-connectivity issues behind the QuickBooks error 12157?
This problem refers to the inability to access the internet connection. There might be several reasons behind the web-connectivity errors like the issue with firewall settings, poor internet connection and more
Can system restore help you to fix QuickBooks error 12157?
Yes, System restore is beneficial to resolve the QuickBooks error 12157. It is often used to recover the deleted files or data which remove the basic errors in QuickBooks. However, if the error persists then you can use the other methods to resolve connec