QuickBooks error 12157 causes the accounting software to shut down when the user tries to download and install payroll software. It may even freeze the software and the operating system. Generally, this payroll update error occurs because of an incorrect time and date on the user’s system. Internet Explorer settings and Windows firewall configurations may also cause this error. While users are able to easily update the accounting software, they cannot access the latest payroll information because of this error.
Creating inbound and outbound firewall rules to add Quickbooks desktop as an exception can fix the Quickbooks error 12157. Configuring the Internet Explorer settings is often required so that the accounting software can easily access the online servers to download the updated files.
Another instance or version of QuickBooks running on the same system may also cause the error. So users can look through the processes in the task manager to find any duplicate or conflicting ones.
In this post, you’ll learn how to fix Quickbooks error 12157.
|Error Code:||Error 12157|
|Error Description:||Most commonly caused by faulty internet connection settings and Windows Firewall related issues|
|Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Cause:||When the date or time setting on your system is incorrect, In case of corrupted QB file may also cause an error in the update.|
|Symptom:||Firewall setting and web security applications, the System will automatically crash|
|Solution:||Firewall / Third Party Application Configuration, Restore The System|
What Is QuickBooks Error 12157 & How To Fix It?
QuickBooks Error 12157 comes under the 12000 error code series that results in Web connectivity issues in the Windows operating system with Microsoft Win32 Internet also called WinInet API. This API is used by QuickBooks in order to swiftly access Internet Protocols like FTP, HTTP, and Gopher. The QuickBooks Error 12157 generally occurs when either downloading or installing updates with the software.
These errors stop updates from getting integrated with the software which can cause serious issues in the future as these updates generally consist of fixes for the bugs reported for the current version along with some powerful features that enhance the experience of the software.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 12157
The Error Code 12157 can be a direct result of any of the following reasons:
- Restrictive settings of Firewall (personal) and Internet security applications.
- More than one version of QuickBooks software on the same computer system of the same year such as QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2016 and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Solutions 16.0.
- Certain settings regarding Internet or Security applications can also cause this error to crop up while updating your QuickBooks Desktop software.
There are certain resolutions listed below for your perusal which can help to fix the issue manually and swiftly. It is recommended that you try to update your software after every resolution to know which one fixes the problem.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12157
Important Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12157 are given Below.
- Firewall setting and web security applications
- The system will automatically crash
- Your System may be slow
Troubleshooting QuickBooks Error 12157
Method 1: Restart your computer
To instantly fix the QuickBooks error 12157, you’ll need to restart your system. Follow the process mentioned below:
- Open the “Start menu” on your computer by clicking on the Start button in the bottom-left corner.
- Please click on the “Power Button” and then select the “Restart” option.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop after restarting.
Method 2: Manually disable the firewall and/or antivirus software
- To disable the Windows firewall, open the Control Panel by clicking on the Windows icon.
- Next, look for a firewall and select Windows Firewall.
- On the left side of your screen, click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. When prompted, enter the administrator password.
- You must now select Turn off Windows Firewall. Make sure you do it for each network where you encountered the Error. Unfortunately, it appears that you will require a subscription to install QuickBooks Desktop.
- Retry installing QuickBooks Desktop or running the update.
Method 3: Reset Internet Explorer’s settings
- Launch Internet Explorer and select Internet Options from the Tools menu
Note: To make the menu bar appear on your screen, press the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Next, select the Reset or Restore Defaults option under the Advanced tab.
- Finally, click Apply, then OK.
Method 4: Turn off the User Account Control (UAC) in the settings
These steps work in all the Windows systems like Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.
- On the Windows desktop, press the Windows + R keys together
- It opens up the Run window
- In the search field type Control Panel
- Then click on the OK button
- Choose the User Accounts
- Further, click on the User Accounts (Classic View)
- Choose the Change user account control settings
- If any pop-up opens up, then click on the OK button
- Now, you have to move the slider
- Move to the Never Notify and then click the OK button to turn off the UAC
- Move to the Always Notify and then click the OK button to turn on the UAC.
- After all the settings, restart your system to save and set all the changes you have done.
Method 5: Check the date and time of your Windows system
- On your Windows desktop
- Right-click on the system clock that is on the bottom right side of the window
- From options, click the option Adjust Date/Time
- Further, click on the Change date and time
- Then click on the OK button twice
- You have to close the QuickBooks software
- Then again open it
- Now try to update QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 6: Update QuickBooks Desktop to The Latest Version
- You must first open your specific QuickBooks Desktop in the first step. Go to Help.
- Then click ‘Update QuickBooks Desktop.’
- You must select Update Now.
- After that, select Get Updates.
- After completing the step, you must wait because it might take some time for QuickBooks Desktop to update.
- Finally, click the Close button.
Method 7: Install the Latest Windows Update
Here are the steps to update Windows 11:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Click on Update Windows.
Here are the steps to update windows 10:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Click on Windows Update.
Additional Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error 12157
Solution 1: Make Sure That Your Computer Is Connected to the Network
- Find out the dedicated name of your server system.
- Press the Windows logo+R on your keyboard. The Run dialog box will come up. There enter CMD.
- Click on OK to open the Command Prompt window.
- Now Enter ipconfig /all.
- Press enter and note down the server name or the Host Name.
- After that, enter ping “name of your server) in the Command Prompt and press Enter.
- You will get a reply for every individual packet.
- If you see a reply for each packet then your computer is successfully connected to the network.
- In case, you see a packet loss or a slow reply, there is some issue with the network.
Solution 2: Use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool
- From the Tool Hub select the option Company File Issues.
- Then, Click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor from the drop-down menu. (Note: The file doctor can take up to one minute to open).
- If the QuickBooks File Doctor does not open, look for QuickBooks Desktop File Doc and manually open it.
- Select your company file from the drop-down option in QuickBooks File Doctor. If you don’t see your file, choose Browse and search to locate it.
- Select Check your file (just the middle option) and then proceed.
- After entering your QuickBooks admin select the Next option.
Solution 3: Configure Security Settings
- Open the Start menu in Windows.
- Open Windows Firewall by typing “Windows Firewall” into the search bar.
- Advanced Options should be selected.
- Right-click Inbound Rules (outbound rules will be created later). Then choose New Rule from the drop-down menu.
- Select Next after selecting Port.
- Ensure that TCP is selected.
- Enter the precise ports required for your QuickBooks year version in the Specific local ports area.
- Select Next after you’ve entered the port number.
- After that, select Allow Connection and then Next.
- Make sure all profiles are marked if requested. Next should be selected.
- Make a rule for yourself. Make a name for it, such as “QBPorts(year).”
- Select Finish when you’re finished.
Why does the firewall block the QuickBooks program?
Window Firewall, by default, blocks entire programs you are attempting to send or receive data across the internet to prevent malware. You can modify these settings according to your preferences.
Can you verify the firewall is blocking the internet connection?
💠Enter cmd in the search box
💠Perform Right-click on the Command Prompt
💠Choose Run as Administrator
💠Write netsh firewall to show the state
💠It will display the list of active ports blocked in the firewall
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12157?
💠Your system freezes automatically
💠System slow to response
💠The message prompts regarding firewall settings and other antivirus software
Name the files that need internet access to prevent the QuickBooks error 12157.
What do you mean by web-connectivity issues behind the QuickBooks error 12157?
This problem refers to the inability to access the internet connection. There might be several reasons behind the web-connectivity errors like the issue with firewall settings, poor internet connection, and more
Can system restore help you fix QuickBooks error 12157?
Yes, System restore is beneficial to resolve the QuickBooks error 12157. It is often used to recover deleted files or data which removes the basic errors in QuickBooks. However, if the error persists then you can use the other methods to resolve connect
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support