What is Error Code 15240 in QuickBooks
QuickBooks Error 15240 is another Payroll update error that can happen due to misconfiguration of the Internet Explorer, incorrect date and time settings, or set firewall settings correctly. Solutions to perform are to run QuickBooks as an administrator, set the date and time of the system, set Windows permissions to be added for QuickBooks, and check for the firewall or security software settings.
Error: QuickBooks Error 15240
Error Message: File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program. Internet connection error: unknown error
You can get the QuickBooks payroll update error 15240 when downloading or installing the payroll update. While the error generally occurs during the download process, it may sometimes occur during the installation process too. Further, you may get one of these two error messages – first, the file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program, and the second, internet connection error.
On the basis of the error message you can find out the underlying reason for the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15240. When applying various solutions, it is preferred to run the accounting software as an administrator, then the system’s data and time settings. You also need to verify internet explorer and windows firewall settings to ensure that the accounting software has complete access to the network connection.
In this post, you’ll learn how to fix QuickBooks payroll update error 15240.
- 1 What is Error Code 15240 in QuickBooks
- 2 About QuickBooks Payroll Error 15240
- 3 Symptoms of the QuickBooks Error 15240
- 4 What are the significant causes of QuickBooks Error 15240?
- 5 Precautions to Take Before Resolve QuickBooks Error 15240
- 6 How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15240
- 6.1 Solution One: Verify the system date and time Settings
- 6.2 Solution Two: Permission Set by Operating System for QuickBooks Software
- 6.3 Solution Three: Check SSL2 Option
- 6.4 Solution Four: Reinstall with Clean Install Tool
- 6.5 Solution Five: Ensure that you are running your QuickBooks as an Administrator
- 6.6 Solution Six: Check the Firewall
- 6.7 Solution Seven: Check the Security Software Settings are turned correctly
- 6.8 Solution Eight: Adding Windows permissions to QuickBooks installation folders
- 7 FAQs
About QuickBooks Payroll Error 15240
|Error Code:||Error 15240:||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||Error 15240: File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||Wrong date & time in the system, Outdated payroll||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Sysmptom:||Failed Payroll update, Unable to do Payroll||Possible Solution:||Verify the system date and time Settings , Check SSL2 Option|
While trying to update payroll or the QuickBooks software with the latest fixes and features you might face one of the following enumerated error messages:
“Error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX The Payroll Update Did Not Complete Successfully.”
“Error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX The QuickBooks Update Did Not Complete Successfully.”
Followed by “The error (qbupdate_error_package_install_FCS_file_nowritepermission) is returned by the File Copy Service (FCS)”
You might additionally face error messages as stated – “Error 15240: The update did not complete successfully or the file specified cannot be opened”
While trying to update the QuickBooks software you may encounter message stating: “File Exists: The file specified cannot be opened. Ensure that it is not being used by any other program or application.”
Symptoms of the QuickBooks Error 15240
- The first symptoms of the error, if QuickBooks unable to download the latest update.
- Failed Payroll update.
- Unable to do Payroll.
What are the significant causes of QuickBooks Error 15240?
- QuickBooks not executing as an administrator
- Wrong date & time in the system
- Outdated payroll
- Inaccurate installation of QuickBooks
- Internet Explorer Security misconfiguration
- Windows files permission issue
- Firewall configuration Settings
- Windows file corrupted
- Damaged data in Company file
Precautions to Take Before Resolve QuickBooks Error 15240
1. Create A Backup For Company File
- Firstly open QuickBooks
- Then click File then Backup company file, then create local backup.
- Now follow the given instruction to create a file backup.
2. Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Close QuickBooks.
- Now Press and hold down the ctrl key from the keyboard. Double click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon. Once QuickBooks opens on the system then release the keys.
- Then, you will check no company open windows.
- Now click help->Update QuickBooks Desktop .
- Hit update now tab.
- Hit Get updates.
- Now check if QuickBooks Update successfully, then click Close.
For swift resolution of the QuickBooks Error 15240, there are many manual resolutions as suggested by Intuit’s ever advanced and experienced team of ProAdvisors. In most of the cases the first resolution, generally, solves the issue. However, if that does not work, then proceed to next resolution. Although it is recommended to follow the order of the resolution, it is not necessary to do so.
How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15240
Solution One: Verify the system date and time Settings
Incorrect Date and Time in your system might cause the error. So, follow the below instructions to fix it:
- First, open the Control Panel of the system
- To do so, go to the system’s time display and then to the date and time settings
- After that, change the date and time to the correct values
- Select the OK and Apply options as well.
Solution Two: Permission Set by Operating System for QuickBooks Software
Here are the steps to add OS permissions for QB installation:
- Close your QuickBooks
- Locate C:\program Files\
- Do a right-click on the folder named Intuit and then select Properties
- Choose the Security option and then click Advanced tab
- Ensure that the folder owner is the User Group to get the ownership of the folder.
How to take ownership of a specific folder?
To do this, here are the steps to be followed:
- Locate the Advanced Security Settings window and then click Change
- Enter Users and then select Check Name
- Hit on Ok; you will return back on the Advanced Security Settings
- Click Replace Owner button located on the Sub containers and object option
- Hit on the Apply and then Ok
- Select to choose Users on the Permissions Window and then hit on Full Control
- Click on the Apply button and then hit on the Ok button.
Solution Three: Check SSL2 Option
Ensure that the SSL2 option provided in the Internet option is checked and working correctly.
To check Internet Explorer Settings, here are the steps:
- Open your Internet Explorer
- Locate the Internet options
- Click on the Advanced tab and discover below Security option
- Check SSL2.0 & SSL3.0
- Hit on the Apply and then Ok button.
Solution Four: Reinstall with Clean Install Tool
This method can assist you in removing all of the junk that has accumulated over time as a result of your continued use. In order to avoid data loss, you must ensure that you have a complete backup of the corporate file. The following are the procedures to performing a clean QuickBooks desktop installation:
- To begin, remove QuickBooks desktop from your computer
- Download and run the QuickBooks clean install utility to rename the installation folders
- The QuickBooks program should then be reinstalled
- You can also use the QuickBooks tool hub to execute the clean install tool.
Solution Five: Ensure that you are running your QuickBooks as an Administrator
Many times, you’ll need to access the QB using admin credentials, and if you haven’t logged in as admin, you’ll most likely get an error. You must follow the instructions outlined below:
- The first step is to go to the QB on your desktop and right-click it
- Then you must choose the Run as Administrator option
- At last, go to the properties tab and then double-check the compatibility for all uses.
Solution Six: Check the Firewall
Due to the Security reason you are using a third-party firewall in your computer, but to make sure the following files you have access to go through the firewall.
- For details on how to change the settings and allow QuickBooks to download and install updates, contact the developer of the third-party firewall.
- Also, make certain that the following files have permission to pass through the firewall:
- It’s also a good idea to double-check that ports 80 and 443 aren’t blocked.
Solution Seven: Check the Security Software Settings are turned correctly
Security and anti-malware software can frequently cause QuickBooks to malfunction, resulting in an error. You must ensure that the software’s settings are configured properly and that the QuickBooks procedure runs smoothly.
Solution Eight: Adding Windows permissions to QuickBooks installation folders
This is the final way, in which you can fix the mistake by adding windows rights to QuickBooks installation folders by following the instructions below:
- First, close your QuickBooks
- Next, go to C:\Program Files\ and for 64 bit uses, C:Program files (x86)
- now, right-click on the intuit folder and select properties from the menu
- After that, go to the security tab and select the advanced option
- The user group must be the folder’s owner. If you don’t already own the Intuit folder, you’ll need to get so by following the instructions below:
- On the advanced security settings page, beside the owner name, select change
- Select the check names as well as type users in the enter the object name to select the field
- The next step is to press the Ok key
- Sub-containers and objects should also be marked as replacement owners
- Hit the Apply and Ok button once you’re done
- On the permissions panel, select the users as well and then select the full control option
- Once again click Apply followed by Ok button
- Try downloading the updates again, and if the problem persists, repeat the procedures above for the following folders:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit
- (64-bit users) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit
- C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Intuit
Need Professional Help?
Is there any error code that can be displayed with an incomplete payroll update?
Yes, QuickBooks error 15240 can appear with an incomplete payroll updates
Can you fix error 15240 by switching to an Administrator mode?
Yes, you can resolve error 15240 with run as administrator mode. With this, you get the privilege of notifying your system that you are safe while running a specific program.
What are the major symptoms of QuickBooks Error 15240?
💠Unable to install the advanced update of payroll
💠Payroll is not correctly working
💠Files and folders in Company file corrupted