Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code 6144
System Requirements to avoid QuickBooks Error Code 6144
Precautions to take before Resolutions QuickBooks Error Code 6144
Solutions of QuickBooks Error Code 6144
1. Renaming files
This error can be fixed by renaming .ND and .TLG files.
- Users must open QuickBooks and press the F2 key. In ‘File Information’, they must seek the company file’s location and open the folder containing the file.
- Now, locate the files with same file name as the company file but with .ND and .TLG extensions. For example: company_file.qbw.nd and company_file.qbw.tlg
- Next, right-click on each file, choose ‘Rename’ and add ‘OLD’ at the end of every file’s name. For example: company_file.qbw.nd.OLD
- Now, open QuickBooks and try accessing the company file again.
If the error persists, users must take the steps mentioned below. But before that QuickBooks must be updated and users must install and run QuickBooks File Doctor. The error can occur on local as well as network setups. So, users must choose the correct setup.
Case Scenario One: If The File is Opened Locally
In this case, the file is saved on the computer that has QuickBooks installed.
1. Solution One: Renaming the .ND and .TLG files
- The steps for doing so are mentioned above in ‘Renaming files’. If the error persists, users should try Solution 2.
2. Solution Two: Opening a sample company file
If the sample file doesn’t open and an error occurs, it means that the QuickBooks installation is damaged and must be repaired.
- To open a sample file,
- Users must select ‘Open a Sample File’ in the ‘No Company Open’ window and select a file from the list of sample files.
- If the file opens, users must move to Solution 3.
3. Solution Three: Opening the company file on the desktop
- Users must open the file containing the company file and locate the file with .QBW extension.
- Next, they must right-click the file and choose ‘Copy’.
- Then, on Desktop, users must right-click anywhere and choose ‘Paste’.
- Next, hold down the Ctrl key and open QuickBooks, which will open the ‘No Company Open’ window.
- Then, select ‘Open or restore an existing company’ and go to the desktop to locate the company file that was copied and open it.
If the error persists, users must go to Solution 4.
4. Solution Four: Restoring a backup
As the file couldn’t be opened despite moving it to a different location, users should restore a backup of the company file to see if the problem is with the company file.
5. Solution Five: Using ADR to restore backup
Users must recover data using QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery if the company file is damaged.
Case Scenario Two: If the file is opened over the network
In this case, the company file is being opened is saved on the server or some other computer.
1. Solution One: Checking if Hosting is on at every system
- One PC/server should ideally host all company files.
- Users must press the F2 key, which will open the ‘Product Information’ window.
- Next, they should locate ‘Local Server Information’ to ensure that hosting is turned off.
2. Solution Two: Renaming the .ND and .TLG files and restarting/rescanning the Database Server Manager
- After renaming the files, users must select Start-> All Programs-> QuickBooks->QuickBooks Database Server Manager and then choose ‘Scan Folders’.
- If there are no folders, select ‘Add Folder’; else users must highlight folder containing the files and choose ‘Scan’.
- Now, verify that the company file is in the box with the heading ‘QuickBooks company files found’.
If the file can’ be opened, go to Solution 3.
3. Solution Three: Opening a company file installed in a workstation
If the file opens, go to Solution 4. If it doesn’t repair the QuickBooks installation.
4. Solution Four: Opening the file locally
If the error persists, go to Solution 5.
5. Solution Five: Closing all processes
- After logging in as administrator on the server
- users must press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager and display all processes by choosing ‘Users’.
- Now, highlight all QuickBooks processes and choose ‘End Task’.
- Next, open the company file in multi-user mode.
If the error persists, go to Solution 6.
6. Solution Six: Manually checking the folder permission
Users must check folder permissions for sharing company files and open the file again. If the error persists, go to Solution 7.
7. Solution Seven: Configuring firewall ports and anti-virus
Firewall and anti-virus might block some QuickBooks programs. To solve this, users must contact the anti-virus developer/vendor.