QuickBooks is not without problems or bugs, despite its many features and functionality. The QB often hangs or does not respond for a variety of reasons. This reduces workflow productivity and may cause immediate or long-term damage to the organization. While you are trying to create or open portable company files (.qbm), QuickBooks cannot open a portable company file due to which users get stuck.
Users come across QuickBooks not responding while creating portable company file errors when they use a non-valid portable company file. This blog post will go over the reasons, symptoms, and numerous methods for the “QuickBooks not responding while creating portable company file” error.
Possible reasons that could lead to the “QuickBooks not responding while creating portable company file” error
This error usually occurs when there is an issue with the location of your original company file locally. Well, there can be other reasons but it depends upon the scenario. The enlisted are the most common situations where such issues can arise:
- When the company files in QuickBooks are corrupted.
- QuickBooks isn’t configured to run as an administrator.
- When QuickBooks can’t find the company file’s location.
- You’re attempting to open an old portable company file.
- When it’s time for QuickBooks to be updated.
This error can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- In the system, the file QBWUSER.INI was deleted.
- If the file size of the company exceeds the limit.
- The operating system is damaged or outdated.
- Used to install software on a corrupt hard drive.
- Internet and firewall restrictions are in place.
- QuickBooks installation that has been corrupted or has been damaged.
- Background programs simply contain too much memory.
- The issue can be caused by User Access Control being enabled.
- The name of the company is very long.
- This problem can also be caused by corrupted DDF and user reference files.
Indications of QuickBooks not responding while creating a portable company file
Users frequently report that QuickBooks does not respond while creating a portable company file. This error may give you the following signs, including:
- After a few seconds of freezing, your computer goes down.
- Daily accounting chores in QuickBooks grow more difficult to complete as the system delays and performs poorly.
- QuickBooks hangs and becomes sluggish, and any keyboard or mouse inputs are slow to respond.
- QuickBooks frequently stops or freezes and a running window crashes with a series of problems.
How to fix QuickBooks not responding while creating portable company files?
There can be multiple answers for dealing with a QB not responding. The remedy could be as simple as a quick patch or as complex as a manual technical fix with multiple steps. To resolve this issue, you must try solutions based on the cause and complete all steps.
The following are some steps you can take to remedy this problem:
Step 1: Generate a manual copy of your company file
You could make a copy of your main company file and utilize it to make a portable copy of it. To accomplish this, follow the instructions below:
- Open File Explorer by clicking on the Windows icon
- Next, type “File Explorer” in the search box
- Find the QuickBooks folder where you saved the company file by searching for it.
Depending on what you were doing, such as establishing or restoring a QuickBooks Portable Company File, follow the procedures until you get the QuickBooks not responding while creating a portable company file problem.
If you’re making a portable company file,
- Look for a company file with the .qbw extension. [Your Company File].qbw should be the format.
- Copy the file by right-clicking on it and selecting “Copy” from the menu
- Now, do a right-click anywhere on your Windows desktop and select “Paste”
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop program.
Important Note: Keep in mind that you should not access the company file.
- Additionally, select the option to open or restore an existing file, followed by “Open a company file”
- Open the copied company file that you pasted to your Windows desktop by browsing your PC
- Go to the File menu in the open copy of your company file drop-down and select the “Create Copy” option
- Select the option named “Portable company file” followed by hitting the “Next” button
- Finally, to create another portable company file, follow the directions that appear on your screen.
If you were able to generate a portable company file, it means that there is a problem with your original company file’s location. As a result, make sure to utilize the duplicated company file as your primary company file from now on. Additionally, rename your original company file with old in the name so you don’t have to use it again.
Step 2: Open a sample company file
To be sure, if your company file has a severe problem, you can use a sample company file to develop a portable company file. Follow the steps outlined below to accomplish this:
- Instead of selecting your company file, open QuickBooks and click Open a Sample File
- Create a portable company file in the sample company file by following the procedures on your screen
- Save it to your Windows desktop once it’s finished
- Open QuickBooks, go to the File menu and pick Close Company/Logoff from the drop-down menu
- To open the portable company file you established in the sample company, follow the on-screen instructions.
If you were able to restore the sample company’s QuickBooks portable company file, it means there is a problem with the main company file.
Step 3: Download QuickBooks Tool Hub & Use QB File Doctor to repair QuickBooks Portable Company File Error
- On your PC, close all QuickBooks applications that are open
- The QuickBooks Tool Hub is a file that you can download
- To obtain a copy, go to the official website
- Make sure you store the file somewhere you’ll have easy access to it
- The desktop or the downloads folder are both good choices
- To open the downloaded file, double-click on it
- You’ll see a screen that starts the installation process; follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process
- The QuickBooks Tool Hub file icon will appear on your desktop after the installation is complete
- To open the tool hub, double-click on this icon
- If your computer’s settings prevent newly downloaded programs from creating a desktop icon, use Windows search to find the tool hub and click on it to access the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- The Tool Hub will open, and the home screen will appear
- A number of troubleshooting tabs can be seen on the left
- Select “Company File Issues” from the drop-down menu
- You can run QuickBooks File Doctor from the screen corresponding to Company File Issues
- Run QuickBooks File Doctor by clicking on it
- It will take some time to open a small window that will auto-populate your company file
- If it isn’t there, use the “browse and search” feature to locate the company file with which you have been having issues
- Choose “Check your file” and then “Continue” after selecting the proper company file
- To continue, you must confirm your choice by entering your admin password
- After you’ve entered your password, click the “Next” button.
If you get an error when trying to restore an old portable company file in QuickBooks Desktop.
Portable company files are used to move accounting data. However, users are unable to move their company file due to a QuickBooks portable company file problem. To get rid of the error notice, follow these steps.
- To determine the location of the old portable file, look for the file extension .qbm in your local drive
- When you’ve found the old portable company file, save it to your Windows desktop
- Open QuickBooks in a new window with no company name
- You may open the QB icon by pressing and holding the ALT key on your keyboard, then selecting Open
- Hold the “ALT” key down until QuickBooks opens in a new window with “no company open”
- Select the option to open or restore an existing file
- Select Restore a portable file from the drop-down menu
- Select the file you copied to the desktop by browsing and selecting it
- After performing these steps, you can try again to move your information/data.
It can be pretty frustrating when QuickBooks not respond, especially while creating a portable company file. Sometimes, it could cause damage to your company data. It is suggested that you must perform quickly and try out all the possible solutions discussed in the above post. However, figuring out what’s causing the software to not respond is critical because it makes it easier to find a specific solution and saves time. Moreover, you can connect with QuickBooks Professionals using our LIVE CHAT option.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support