What is QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists?
The QuickBooks Payroll Update error file exists happens when you are updating the payroll, opening federal or state forms, or paying liabilities. The reasons are QuickBooks is outdated, UAC settings are misconfigured, or more. To fix, turn off the UAC, check windows permissions, and perform the QuickBooks clean install process.
- Error: QuickBooks Payroll Update Error File Exists
- Error Message: ”The file you specified cannot be opened” and “The file exists”
QuickBooks Payroll update error stating “the file exists” occurs when you’re doing payroll or updating the software. It can also occur when paying your liabilities or checking tax forms that you need to fill out. In some cases, simply running QuickBooks desktop as an administrator solves the problem, especially for users who’ve set the user account control set to too high. Windows permissions may have to be updated accordingly to enable QuickBooks to quickly fetch information from the web without interference from the operating system.
When you’re using the software for filing your taxes, you may get the Quickbooks payroll update error “the file exists”, which further prevents you from updating the software or filing your taxes. You can even download and install the updates manually, but in this post, you’ll learn how to resolve this issue once and for all.
To resolve QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists, follow the solutions provided in this post.
- 1 What is QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists?
- 2 What is the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists?
- 3 Windows Error “This File Exists”? – QuickBooks Payroll
- 4 About QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists
- 5 Possible Reasons for QuickBooks Payroll Update Error:
- 6 When the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error occurs you will possibly receive the following error messages:
- 7 Why does the QB Payroll Update error occur?
- 8 How to Fix the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists?
- 9 Additional troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error the File Exists
- 9.1 1. Method One: Allow Full Control Access to the User
- 9.2 2. Method Two: Configure Windows Firewall, Repair QuickBooks Desktop and Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks
- 9.3 3. Method Three: Turn off the User Account Control in Windows Settings
- 9.4 4. Method Four: Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX file using the Reboot.bat file
- 9.5 5. Method Five: Check for QuickBooks Desktop Updates
- 10 FAQs
What is the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists?
QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists error occurs when a user tries to do payroll, prepare taxes, update the software, or pay scheduled bills. In rare cases, it may occur when you open a federal or state tax form in the QuickBooks desktop software.
This error has a few easy solutions that you can rely on. But first, ensure that you’re connected to a network and your internet is working properly. If not, then you may have to get in touch with your internet service provider.
Windows Error “This File Exists”? – QuickBooks Payroll
QuickBooks Payroll is additional subscription software that is used for the running of the small businesses. Intuit releases payroll updates on a quarterly, half-yearly, and annual basis. The update of the QuickBooks payroll includes periodic tax tables, tax forms, etc.
When changes are made by the federal or state government to payroll taxes or forms, you will be getting a notification about the availability of the new tax table. For updating the QuickBooks payroll you need to ensure that you are having strong internet connectivity and the availability of the new tax table. Updating payroll helps in the resolution of the errors that might occur in handling the software.
At times due to some technical or functional disorder, the users face QuickBooks payroll issues: Windows Error “This File Exists“. You need to approach the QuickBooks payroll customer support team to fetch a resolution.
Go through the reasons, error messages, and fixing steps for the error mentioned below:
About QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists
|Error Name:||The File Exists||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||The file you specified cannot be opened” It must not be already in use by another program or a read-only file||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||While downloading a payroll update., Launching the federal or state forms||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptom:||The file exists (Windows), The specific file that you require fails to open.||Possible Solution:||Allow The Full Control Access To The User, Check For QuickBooks Desktop Updates|
Possible Reasons for QuickBooks Payroll Update Error:
- While downloading a payroll update
- Launching the federal or state forms
- Payment of scheduled liabilities
- QuickBooks Desktop is an old application that hasn’t been updated in a long time.
- The Internet connection is currently inactive.
- Firewall and internet security settings that aren’t configured correctly.
- Your QuickBooks installation may have problems.
- The Windows User Account Control settings are interfering with QuickBooks’ usual operation.
- On Windows, the user account does not have the needed administrative rights.
When the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error occurs you will possibly receive the following error messages:
- The specific file that you require fails to open. Ensure that it is not presently used by another program or a read-only file.
- The file exists (Windows).
Why does the QB Payroll Update error occur?
QuickBooks Payroll Update error is usually occurs when a file is not read correctly/properly. This might occur if your QB Desktop does not have the latest release. So it is very important to ensure that your QuickBooks Desktop has the latest release.
It is very simple; you just have to follow the simple steps:
- Go to Help -> Click Update QuickBooks
- Click the Update Now tab -> Get Updates
- Try turning off User Account Control in Windows
How to Fix the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists?
To fix the QuickBooks Payroll Update error you need to click ok on the error message.
In case you confront the same error message follow the below-listed steps:
- When you click on the OK button it shifts the install progress bar
- In case you still receive the error message -> click OK till the update is complete.
- Close QuickBooks program and reopen it.
- Ensure that your QuickBooks version has the latest product updates downloaded and installed properly.
- Close QuickBooks application
- Re-start your computer
- Reopen QuickBooks as the administrator
1. For updating the Windows permission
- In your system, click on the Start menu
- Then open the File Explorer by searching it OR In the taskbar, there is the icon of the File Explorer; double-click on it to open it
- Now in File Explorer, you have to find the QuickBooks file path. For 64-bit- C:\programfiles x86\intuit\quickbooks XXXX. For 32-bit- C:\programfiles\intuit\quickbooks XXXX. Note- XXXX is the version of the software
- Now find the file QBW32.exe and then right-click on it
- From the drop-down menu, click on the Properties option
- Go to Security and then click on the option Edit
- To add new click on ADD; then in the Type field select Everyone and then click on the OK button
- Here, you see the checkbox as Full Control; select it and click on the OK button
- Again, click on the ADD now select the Users in the Type field and click on the OK button
- After that again, click on the Ful Control checkbox in the Security window and click on the OK button
- Click on the Apply button and then the OK button when you are ready.
Above, you get to know the causes of why QuickBooks Payroll Update Error The File Exists happens and also the solutions to get it to resolve on your own. So, do follow the solutions steps to get it resolved easily.
If you have any issue or query then you can connect with the QuickBooks customer helpdesk who is here to help you all the time. The information you get is up to date and correct. You can also send the email and do a live chat with the team.
Additional troubleshooting methods to fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error the File Exists
Because the “The file exists” problem can occur for a variety of reasons, it’s critical to pinpoint the particular cause before using a cause-specific troubleshooting procedure. If you can’t figure out what’s causing the error, make sure you perform all of the troubleshooting procedures in the correct order.
1. Method One: Allow Full Control Access to the User
Different sorts of the user account with varying levels of privileges can be used to operate Windows. On Windows, the Admin user has full control access to files and directories by default, which QuickBooks requires to work properly. If your user account does not have admin access, follow the instructions below:
- Initially, do right-click on the QB Desktop icon to select the option “Open File Location”
- Next, click on the Backspace key from your console
- Or hit the backward arrow at the top-left to navigate to the root folder
- Now, perform a right-click on the QuickBooks Folder and select “Properties”
- Go to the Security tab and click on the “Edit” then select “Add”
- After that, choose “Everyone” followed by clicking on the Ok button
- Select the option “Full Control” then click “Apply”
- Follow the same procedures as before, except this time instead of selecting everyone, pick your User.
2. Method Two: Configure Windows Firewall, Repair QuickBooks Desktop and Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks
For a step-by-step guide on configuring Windows firewall ports, follow the troubleshooting steps on QBDBMgrN Not Running Error to Repair QuickBooks Desktop and Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop.
IMPORTANT: When printing a form with QuickBooks Desktop, you may see the error "The File Exists" and in this case, you’re suggested to follow the below instructions:
- Open the Run window by pressing the Windows + R keys from your keyboard
- Type the Control Panel and then click Ok
- Next, select the option “Devices and Printers”
- Do a right-click to select the Remove option on any printer which is no longer in use or showing an error sign
- Now, exit from the QuickBooks Desktop
- After that, press the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys altogether from your keyboard and then open the Task Manager
- Move to the Processes tab and then perform a right-click on the QBW32.exe
- Select the “End Process” followed by selecting the “Yes” button to confirm the action
- Navigate the
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks if you are using QuickBooks Premier or navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\(QuickBooks_version)\TSPrinterSettings\ if you are using QuickBooks Enterprise
- Go to the folder then search and delete the QBPRINT.qbp file
- Finally, open the QuickBooks once again to give a print.
3. Method Three: Turn off the User Account Control in Windows Settings
- To start with press the Windows + R keys from your keyboard to open the Run window
- Next, type Control Panel within the search box and then hit Ok
- From the search bar and look for user accounts at the top of your Control Panel
- Now, click on the option “Change User Account Control” settings
- After that, hit “Yes” and move your slider down to never notify then turn off UAC
- At last, restart the system and then try to update your QuickBooks Payroll.
4. Method Four: Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX file using the Reboot.bat file
QuickBooks Reboot.bat is software that automatically re-registers most of the critical QuickBooks installation files and assists in the resolution of some of the most difficult QuickBooks errors, such as the “The File Exists” error. Exit QuickBooks Desktop by following the on-screen instructions.
- Select Properties from the right-click menu of the QB icon on your desktop
- Choose Open File Location and navigate to the folder where the reboot.bat file is located
- Select Run as Administrator from the context menu when you right-click the Reboot.bat file
- Wait until the dark command prompt window scrolls through all of the QuickBooks files and then exits
- Check if the file exists and the error has been addressed by restarting Windows.
5. Method Five: Check for QuickBooks Desktop Updates
- First, open your QB software and go to the Help menu then click the “Update QuickBooks Desktop” option
- Next, go to the “Update Now” tab and then choose “Get Updates”
- Restart QuickBooks and choose Install Now on the QuickBooks Update Service window once the updates have been downloaded
- After the updates have been installed, try the same activity again to see if the error has been resolved.
Also, you can connect with QuickBooks Payroll Support Phone Number which is a well-known QuickBooks Consulting Agency that offers prompt and responsive support to payroll issues. You are assured complete support in a minimum time.
How to run it as an administrator?
💠 Go to the QuickBooks icon
💠 Then right-click on it
💠 From the drop-down menu select Run as administrator option
💠 Now you are done.
When I encounter this error?
This error happens when you are updating the payroll while opening the federal or state forms, or while paying the scheduled liabilities.
Why are we getting the file existence issue in QuickBooks?
Your inactive internet connection or dropped internet packets can lead to an “incorrectly read a file” error. To prevent this mistake, make sure that you have upgraded your QuickBooks to the latest available edition.
If a user does not have the requisite administrative privileges on windows, then the error is susceptible. Erroneous installation of QuickBooks or incorrect Internet security settings is also potential explanations for a QuickBooks file error.
What are the different troubleshooting solutions to fix the QuickBooks payroll update error?
There are multiple effective solutions to get rid of this error.
Here are a few of them:
💠 Solution 1: Turn off User Account Control in Windows Settings
💠 Solution 2: Re-register QB .DLL and .OCX file with the help of Reboot. Bat file
💠 Solution 3: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop can help you to amend this error
💠 Solution 4: Allow full Control Access to the User
💠 Solution 5: Check for QB Desktop updates
How do I Reinstall my QuickBooks Desktop?
You need to first open the Run box by pressing Windows + R keys. Type the text appwiz.cpl and then click QuickBooks twice then select Uninstall. Follow the on-screen pop-up instructions to remove QB from your windows. Download the Clean Install tool from the official website and save it on your desktop. Install your QuickBooks application using this tool.