QuickBooks is running slow because your system either does not meet the minimum system requirements or has other programs that’s using too many system resources. If little is left for QuickBooks, then the software will either run slow or crash. In either case, you need to upgrade your system or close programs that’s occupying the existing infrastructure.
Clean up your QuickBooks Desktop. If you have a lot of files and folders cluttering up your Desktop, your computer will have to work harder to find and load the QuickBooks software. Clear out old files, empty the Recycle Bin, and remove unnecessary shortcuts and icons from your Desktop. Defragment your hard drive.
When your hard drive is full of files, it takes longer for the QuickBooks Desktop to find and load the software. Run Disk Defragmenter on your computer to help organize and optimize your hard drive so that QuickBooks can run faster.
The article is about how to fix Quickbooks desktop is running slow by successfully determining what the source of the problem is, then troubleshooting that individual issue.
How does QuickBooks Running Slow affect your work?
In QuickBooks, there are several types of issues that happen when QB takes longer than usual to open. There are two types of performance problems with the QuickBooks Desktop. The first is when QuickBooks starts up slowly, and the second is when QuickBooks does not respond to any user actions.
The following are some of the most common types of QuickBooks performance problems you may encounter:
- The company file fails to update.
- Performance issue in multi-user mode.
- QuickBooks Re-installation fails.
- The data file can’t be copied or moved.
- Unable to rebuild the company data.
- The QuickBooks client machine is not able to locate the data folder on your server.
- Unable to print the PDF files from QB.
- QuickBooks Desktop freezes while entering transactions or exporting reports.
- POS got stuck while using the QuickBooks Point of Sale.
- The QB doesn’t respond to any command.
- While updating, rebuilding, or backing up data, a blue circle continues to spin.
What factors impact is QuickBooks Running Slow issue?
There are a number of factors that could be causing the QuickBooks Running Slow problem and unexpected behavior. Examine the reasons to determine what the best troubleshooting step will be for you.
Here are a few possibilities.
- Your company files have reached the maximum size limit.
- Using an outdated version of QuickBooks
- The Windows Operating System is damaged.
- Some program files or QB Desktop installations are damaged.
- Firewall Settings are misconfigured so they restrict various processes to function properly.
- Your computer does not meet the system requirements.
- The QBUSER.INI files have reached the maximum size limit.
- Damaged/corrupted or deleted QBUSER.INI file
- Corrupted hard drive.
- Repair damaged or corrupt QuickBooks company files.
Apart from that, there are multiple scenarios QuickBooks Running Slow issue also be seen while using the software:
- Is your QuickBooks running slow in multi-user mode?
- Does it take too much time to do anything?
- Is it taking much more time than usual to load?
- Are you receiving unrecoverable error notifications?
Don’t Worry! The below-suggested solutions will help you to easily get rid of such issues.
Minimum system requirements for QuickBooks version to avoid the “QuickBooks Running Slow” issue?
A. For QuickBooks Desktop users
The Pro edition has a minimum of 1 user and a maximum of 3 users, while the Premier edition has 1 to 5 users and the Enterprise edition has 1 to 30 users. (Windows 10, 8.1, and Windows Server 2019 are supported.)
Requires a minimum of 4 GB RAM for a single user or more depending on the number of users accessing the program at the same time; for example, if 1 to 3 users are accessing the company data folder at the same time, you’ll need 8 GB RAM, and so on. RAM should be increased as the number of users in your organization grows.
B. For QuickBooks Online users
QuickBooks Online is a fully web-based service running on any browser or OS; however, some services rely on the processing power of your device’s memory (RAM), and a high-speed internet connection is recommended for QBO to load quickly. We’ll investigate the various causes of QuickBooks Online’s slow performance and how to improve QBO’s performance.
C. For Mac Users
QuickBooks Mac 2020 comes with a single-user license that works with the most recent Macintosh OS version (Catalina). This version of the program is only compatible with Mac computers and requires at least 4 GB of RAM (RAM).
Precautions need to be taken into consideration
- Consider running a proper system check-up, updating the software components, and scanning the company file for errors if you’re using one of the many versions of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows and experiencing “QuickBooks Running Slow” or performance issues with QB Pro.
- Check the QB version you’re using and the hardware configuration of the PC on which the software is installed to make sure it meets the minimum system requirements.
- In order to run at your software smoothly or as usual, the system configuration is important. However, the size of your company data file grows over time, and a slow company file is one of several reasons why QuickBooks runs slowly on Windows.
- It is truly said that proper system requirements must be met and QuickBooks Desktop must be configured correctly to speed up, this may not be the only cause of your QuickBooks Desktop performance issues but also affect your workflow.
The process to Resolve QuickBooks Running Slow problem or Improve the QuickBooks Desktop Performance
Well, now you’re aware of all the facts related to the “QuickBooks running slow” issue. Let’s look at the complete guide to fix the problems suggested below:
Total Time: 20 minutes
Step 1: Upgrade Your Workstations to speed up QuickBooks
Quickbooks running slow issue can be fixed by upgrading workstations, doing so follow the steps
💠 Replace your hard drive with a solid-state drive
💠 Make sure you’re running a 64-bit operating system with a clock speed of 2.2GHz or higher
💠 Upgrade your computer’s RAM to 8GB or more
💠 Invest in a network connection with a rotational speed of more than 7,500 rpm.
Step 2: Check the Anti-virus settings to ensure compatibility
Antivirus software: Some antivirus programs might affect the performance and cause QB pro-2017 to run slow so disable your antivirus temporarily to find out if that helps with QuickBooks running slow on Windows 10 issues.
💠 To open the command prompt, press the Windows + R keys at the same time
💠 Press the “Enter” key after typing MSConfig
💠 Restart your computer and check your application’s performance
💠 If the testing is complete, repeat the process by typing MSconfig into the run box and pressing the Enter key
💠 Select the standard setup and click OK to confirm.
Check if this solution has improved QuickBooks’ performance by resetting your reset.
Step 3: Install the QB Diagnostic Tool
To fix the QB unable to update issue, let’s try to use the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool to identify and fix .NET Framework, MSXML, and C++ file issues on Windows systems.
💠 First, download the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool
💠 Next, save it on your desktop’s screen
💠 Now, close all the programs
💠 Then run the QBinstall program
💠 Make sure that all of your extensions and components are up to date, then restart your system
💠 After the computer has been restarted, open QuickBooks to see if the diagnostic tool has assisted in improving the performance.
Step 4: Reset the .TLG file
QuickBooks will reset the .TLG file if you make a backup copy of your recent company data folder, which may help with QuickBooks Performance.
💠 Back up the company file from the File menu
💠 Select “Create Local Backup” and then “Options” from the drop-down menu
💠 Choose your Desktop as the backup’s location
💠 Verify that the verification is complete, then click “Ok”
💠 In the end, click on the “Save it Now” followed by the “Next” button.
Step 5: Perform disk defragmentation of a company file
💠 You should be able to create and restore a portable file because the company data is on the desktop
💠 You can try disk defragmentation after you’ve created the portable file
Note: If you’re using a Solid State Drive, it’s critical that you don’t perform disk fragmentation
💠 After that, select All Programs >>> Accessories >>> System Tools >>> Disk Defragmentation from the Start menu
💠 To finish the task on your hard drive, click the Defragmentation button and follow the instructions.
Step 6: Verify the Windows System Configuration
The following are the minimum system requirements that must be met in order for QuickBooks Desktop to function properly:
💠 4 Gigabytes of RAM.
💠 Core 2 Duo Intel processor 2.4 GHz minimum or any upgraded version.
💠 5 Gigabytes of free disk space after installation.
💠 1280 x 1024 Screen resolutions.
💠 Optical Drive or connectivity to the internet.
💠 Installation on a server requires Windows Server 2016, 2012 R2, 2011, or 2008 R2 SP1.
💠 US version of Windows that must be either Windows 10, 8.1 or 7.
Step 7: Verify the speed in UNC Path
💠 Find the server name under the network location field by pressing the Windows + E keys at the same time
💠 When you open it, you’ll see mapped drives in the following order: X:, Z:, Y:, and so on
💠 There are two backlashes in the server name you’re looking for (\)
Takedown the server’s name
💠 Make a note of the pathname and the computer server name and shared folder name as \ServerNameSharedFolderName
💠 Select “Open or Restore a Company File” in QB
💠 Select a company file and then press the Next button
💠 In the file name field, type the UNC path and press the Enter key
💠 From the list, select your company’s file
💠 Go back to QuickBooks and use some features to see if the issue with QuickBooks running slowly has been resolved.
Step 8: Fix the QuickBooks running slow issue on the Network
You can test QuickBooks in a multi-user environment to figure out and confirm if it’s a network issue that’s causing it to crash. If you’re having problems with performance because more than one user is logged into the company folder over the network, follow the steps below:
💠 Start with pressing the F2 key to open the application
💠 Find the backup folder for the company’s data
💠 Verify that all users have signed out and exited QuickBooks
💠 Select My Computer from the Windows Start menu
💠 Locate the file path, perform a right-click on the .QBW extension, and then copy the file
💠 Copy it and paste it on your desktop
💠 Restore the company file saved on the desktop by opening QuickBooks
💠 Finally, verify whether the QB is running slow in multi-user mode.
Why is QuickBooks slowing down in multi-user mode?
- Too many users are trying to open or use the same company file at the same time.
- The company data file size is too big compared to the system requirements.
- Either due to errors or the size of the file, the database is taking too long to open.
- There are administrator permission issues on the server.
- The computer on which the data file is stored is generally performing poorly.
- There is a large report running on a data file.
How to overcome “QuickBooks Running Slow” issue in multi-user mode?
Steps to Boost QuickBooks Desktop Performance in Multi-User Mode
- Upgrade to the most recent version of QB Desktop
- Ensure that your network and workstations are equipped with Gigabit network components
- Make manual and monthly backups of your data files
- Instead of using a shared drive, try using a URL to access your database
- Make sure that all of the devices on which you’re running QB are up-to-date and free of junk.
Check for integrity issues in the data file:
- Ensure that all QuickBooks users have exited the program
- Select File >> Utilities >> Verify Data from the File menu
- To begin the verification process, press the “Ok” button
- Verifying data will automatically prompt you to repair the database if there are any integrity issues
- Rebuild your company file if the verification process finds an error
- Make a point of looking through the QBWin.log file for any errors.
Well, the performance issue is not only seen in the above scenarios, it can also be experienced if you lately upgrade your QuickBooks to the latest.
How can you make your QB faster than ever even after upgrading it?
Fortunately, there are certain ways that if impaired properly can enhance the performance of your QuickBooks. To make your software performance faster, below are provided some quick solutions and tips that you can easily apply:
- The best way to enhance the performance is by increasing the memory of the server or the PC on which you’re using QuickBooks. It is preferred to increase the memory up to 8GB for optimum results.
- It is also important to check that it is not taking too much memory of your PC or the server.
- Also, fixing any corrupted file on QuickBooks can enhance its performance. So find out if there is any hidden corrupted file on QB and try to remove it right away. You can also do this by creating and restoring a portable data file. There is one more way to fix the problem which is using QuickBooks Data Recovery service.
- You can also make your slow running QB better by running a Rebuild at least one time in every 3-4 weeks. After that, make sure you run a Verify and fix any kind of error in the QBWin.Log file.
- Always remember whenever you upgrade QuickBooks, don’t go for automatic updates, and instead install QuickBooks updates manually.
- It is highly advised to use good Antivirus on the host computer to quarantine QB against any sort of malicious thing, which might make it sluggish and slow.
- Do you know that decreasing the number of lists in your data file can also help in enhancing the performance of QuickBooks?
- If possible, it is preferred and advised to store your entire QBW data file to some different drive, not the operating system-Solid State Drive is the best option.
Important Note: One of the biggest culprits that makes QuickBooks slow and sluggish are third-party applications, as they can cause serious corruption issues. Primarily, avoid using IIF files.
Hopefully, with this valuable insight to overcome the “QuickBooks Running Slow” issue will help several users. We believe that they’ll surely be able to manage the speed up of their QuickBooks performance by now, just by following all the solutions in this article. In case of struggling any other performance issue due to data corruption or damage issues, you’re suggested to reach out Professionals to get instant help via LIVE CHAT.
Why is QuickBooks online so slow?
There might be several reasons behind the quickbooks online running slow, some of them are listed below;
- A slow or unstable internet connection can cause QBO to run slowly.
- Make sure that your browser is up to date and compatible with QBO. Clear your browser’s cache and cookies regularly.
- If you have multiple tabs or windows open in your browser, it can slow down QBO. Try closing unnecessary tabs and windows.
- If your company file is very large or has a lot of data, it can slow down QBO. Try archiving old data or deleting old transactions to reduce the size of your company file.
- Third-party applications that are integrated with QBO can cause it to run slowly. Try disabling or uninstalling any unnecessary applications.
- If your computer is old or has outdated hardware, it may struggle to run QBO smoothly. Try upgrading your computer or using a faster machine.
Why do QuickBooks run so slowly?
The reason why QuickBooks Desktop could be running delayed on all computers is that the host computer has the organization file set up incorrectly. If a file is set up incorrectly, then this will permit latency when sharing over the network.
How would I fix QuickBooks has stopped working issue?
Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic apparatus from the Tool Hub. Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub if it’s not already open. In the Tool Hub, select Program Problems. Choose the QuickBooks Program Diagnostic Tool and run the tool. When the tool finishes, restart your computer and relaunch QuickBooks.
How would I speed up the QuickBooks desktop?
To speed up the speed, delete all unnecessary, and update your software timely with the latest edition. Before deleting all data, make sure you save it all in the company backup file. To create a backup file, choose the program first then go to the File menu. After that, Choose ‘Backup Company’, and choose the Create Local Backup option. From the drop-down menu, choose your Desktop, when it prompts where to save.
How much RAM and Disk Space require using QuickBooks? Can it help me to avoid “QuickBooks Running Slow” issues?
For QuickBooks Pro and Premier 2022 versions to run smoothly on Windows 10, you’ll need at least 4GB of RAM, and QuickBooks Enterprise will need at least 6 to 8GB of RAM and 500GB of hard disc space.
Why is my QuickBooks Online running slowly?
It’s most likely due to a server problem that will be resolved in a matter of minutes. Before reopening QuickBooks, please wait a few minutes. If the problem persists, try accessing your data using a different browser or computer.
Can condensing my data fix QuickBooks Running Slow issue?
Yes, because condensing your company file compresses your historical data, resulting in a smaller file size, it can assist you in resolving QB performance issues. Overall, this will improve QuickBooks’ performance significantly. You can always retrieve your data in the future because it is only compressed, not deleted.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support