QuickBooks update error 15101 generally occurs when users try to update payroll in their desktop accounting software. Further, users whose payroll subscription has expired will get this error when they try to work with payroll and especially when they try to update it. Because of an inability to install payroll updates, users won’t be able to get the latest text tables and tax forms to accurately calculate payroll taxes and file taxes online.
This QuickBooks payroll update error 15101 requires you to make sure that your payroll subscription is in fact active and that the digital signature certificate installed to verify that QuickBooks is a valid software is working properly. You may also have to try the reboot file which enables you to re-register this software and the various program files related to it. In the end users may also have to set the Internet explorer settings so that QuickBooks can easily connect to its server and download the update files.
In this post, you’ll learn how to fix QuickBooks update error 15101.
About QuickBooks Update Error 15101
|Error Name:||Error 15101||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||Error 15101: When updating QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll.||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||The error occurs at the updating time of payroll or QuickBooks., Pending the updating of internet explorer digital signature.||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptoms:||QuickBooks Desktop won’t respond or work, Windows operating system got frezon.||Possible Solution:||We’ll setup Digital Signature certificate, Safe Mode loads Windows with the lowest number of drivers required to run the Windows OS.|
What is QuickBooks Update Error 15101
QuickBooks error 15101 might occur during or after a payroll or software upgrade. Some of the most common causes are incorrect internet settings or software that isn’t working properly. The error is also encountered if you don’t have a correctly installed digital signature certificate. You need to have proper internet settings by configuring your LAN setting on the Internet to resolve it.
Error: QuickBooks Error 15101
Error Message: Error 15101: When updating QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll
- 1 About QuickBooks Update Error 15101
- 2 What is QuickBooks Update Error 15101
- 3 What provokes QuickBooks Error Code 15101?
- 4 Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code 15101?
- 5 Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15101
- 5.1 Method 1: set up a Digital Signature certificate
- 5.2 Method 2: Make Sure Security is Enable
- 5.3 Method 3: Reconfigure Windows Firewall
- 5.4 Method 4: Restart QBConnector.exe Process
- 5.5 Method 5: Reset All the Previous Updates
- 5.6 Method 6: Rename the QuickBooks Folder
- 5.7 Method 7: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- 5.8 Method 8: Recheck Internet Explorer Settings
- 5.9 Method 9: Reinstall QuickBooks in Safe Mode
- 6 How does it work?
- 7 FAQ
What provokes QuickBooks Error Code 15101?
Before moving ahead with the solutions, the users need to identify the causes first so that they can easily go with the best one. This particular error code 15101 can be experienced due to several reasons, which are as follows:
- If you haven’t started all QuickBooks services on Windows.
- When Digital Signature Certificate is not installed properly or is corrupted.
- QBWebconnector.exe program is not running properly.
- If the third-party application is interfering with the QuickBooks and causing issues in the payroll update process.
- If QuickBooks is not set to use Internet Explorer as the default browser to retrieve internet connection settings.
- In case Windows Firewall is preventing QuickBooks from connecting to the Internet.
- Missing or unavailable digital signature certificate of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Due to virus or malware infestation, there might be some damage to the QuickBooks Files and Folders.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code 15101?
The below-listed signs or symptoms will surely help you to detect the error with much ease. Let’s see how:
- The most basic sign can be if the software or payroll update gets hindered by any error message.
- The system freezes every now and then.
- Whenever you try to download a payroll update, it gets failed and then the error message starts appearing on your screen.
- The system slows down and doesn’t really respond to the keyboard inputs.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15101
There are a series of errors that fall under 15000 patterns, thus multiple factors can instigate this kind of error code. In this section, you will find plenty of solutions to troubleshoot such an error. But you do not have to perform all the solutions simultaneously. Every error message can be eliminated in a different way. So, you are just required to carry out each solution one by one until you get a method that applies to your situation. Let’s get started to move further.
Method 1: set up a Digital Signature certificate
You are required to follow the below-given instructions to fix QuickBooks Error 15101 manually:
When downloading a QuickBooks update, Intuit servers ask for a confirmation of the digital signature of QuickBooks. If for some reason, the digital signature authentication is missing, you will need to fix it manually as per the given steps to fix QuickBooks error 15101.
- We’ll go to the windows bar and search for .QBW32.exe. Its location will be: C:\Program\files\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- We right-click on the file and open its Properties.
- Now, we’ll click on the Digital Signature tab to ensure that Intuit, Inc. is selected.
- Details> View Certificate
- Now, we will keep clicking on throughout the next steps until we reach Finish.
- We’ll restart the computer and reopen QuickBooks.
- Finally, we’ll initiate the update.
Method 2: Make Sure Security is Enable
In this method, we’ll ensure that our Firewall protection is on and a good antivirus is installed on our computer. We do this to ensure that we have Internet Protection both inside and outside of our computers. Sometimes Firewalls are not configured to approve QuickBooks updates, hence, creating errors while trying to do so.
Method 3: Reconfigure Windows Firewall
Configuring your Windows Firewall can help you optimize protection for devices in your network. All you would have to execute the following steps of reconfiguration if you don’t want to see QuickBooks Error 15101 on your screen.
- To begin with, tap on the Windows icon and switch to Settings.
- Next, enter Firewall in the Find a Setting search box.
- Select Windows Firewall once it opens click on Allow All or Feature through Windows Firewall.
- In the Allowed Apps Window, choose the Change Settings option.
- After this, you have to mark the checkbox for applications on your computer that you want to allow to communicate over the Internet without being stopped by Firewall.
- Now, select the Private and Public checkbox to narrow down whether you want just networks that are secure to allow this communication or also public and nonsecure networks to do so.
- Then, press Ok to close and shut the Windows Firewall Window.
Method 4: Restart QBConnector.exe Process
QuickBooks Error 15101 can also be resolved if you restart QBConnector.exe Process. Check out the steps inclined below;
- In the beginning, you have to press and hold Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously to open the Task Manager.
- Next, go to the Processes tab and look forQBConnector.exe.
- Hit a right-click and click the End Process option.
- At last, you need to restart the QuickBooks application and later check for the status of QuickBooks error 15101.
Method 5: Reset All the Previous Updates
While downloading the new updates, you might end up with QuickBooks Error 15101 due to many previous partially downloaded updates. In this scenario, you have to clear all the previous updates by following the step-by-step guide:
- Firstly, you need to open QuickBooks Desktop and navigate to the Help menu.
- From here, tap on Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, browse to the Update Now tab and select the Reset Update checkbox then click on Get Updates.
- Once the download completes, you have to close and restart QuickBooks.
- Navigate to the Help menu again and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Finally, you have to click on Update Now under the Overview tab.
Method 6: Rename the QuickBooks Folder
If there’s damage in your QuickBooks files, QuickBooks error 15101 can take place. Thus, you have to rename the company file in order to avoid such an error. To do so, you have to follow the below-described steps;
- Initially, close the QuickBooks application and follow either of the below-listed paths:
- C:\Program Data\ Intuit\ QuickBooks 20(YY)\Components
- C:\Program File (x86)\ Intuit\ QuickBooks 2020\ Components
- Hit a right-click on the Components folder and choose the Rename option.
- Further, add.OLD at the end of the name or press the Enter key and then check for the status of QuickBooks Error 15101.
Method 7: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
If you come across QuickBooks Error 15101 while using the QuickBooks Desktop Program, Quick Fix my Program will run a scan to detect and rectify it immediately. However, if you haven’t downloaded and installed the QuickBooks Tool Hub then you can download it from here and run this tool by going through the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the Tool Hub and navigate to the Program Problems tab.
- If you are unable to download the updates, hover over the Tool Hub again and select Company File Issues.
- Select Quick Fix my Program and wait until the scanning process is completed.
- Once done, restart QuickBooks Desktop and open the company file.
- Click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor and follow the onscreen instructions to resolve the QuickBooks error 15101.
Method 8: Recheck Internet Explorer Settings
There might be a possibility that there is some issue with your default browser due to which you might lead to QuickBooks error message 15101. Therefore, it is suggested to verify your internet settings and then update them whenever it is required. Below are the steps to wind up the process:
Note: You have to make sure that the Internet Explorer is set to be the default browser for your QuickBooks application. Also, check that the date and time settings are set correctly.
- You are required to hold and press Windows + R keys on your keyboard to open the Run window and then type INETCPL.CPL on the open box.
- Now, click OK to proceed.
- Hit the General tab, tap on Delete and select Temporary Internet Files and Website Files.
- After that, press Delete again.
- Choose the Connections tab and tap on LAN Settings.
- Furthermore, you have to detect settings and click OK.
- In the end, head to the Advanced tab then scroll down to the security section and check if TLS 1.2 is checked and TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 is unchecked.
Method 9: Reinstall QuickBooks in Safe Mode
Sometimes, third-party programs interfere in downloading the Payroll or QuickBooks updates. So, you must try to run your system in a safe mode as it ensures that only the essential programs in Windows will operate while completing the download process. Doing so helps you to fix QuickBooks Error Code 15101. Here’s how;
Note: When you are in a safe mode, the Windows operating system has the lowest number of drivers required to work. Also, it is recommended to take a backup of your company file to avoid any data loss.
- The very first step is to reboot windows and hold the F8 key multiple times to display the Safe Boot options.
- Once the safe boot options start appearing on your screen, click Safe Mode.
- Hit Enter key to boot in Safe Mode.
- The next step is to select Windows + R keys together on your keyboard and type in appwiz.cpl.
- Now, again press Enter key and make a double-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon from the list of installed programs.
- Then, follow the prompts to completely remove QuickBooks from Windows.
- Navigate to the QuickBooks Product Download page and download the QuickBooks Setup file.
- Furthermore, you have to perform the on-screen instructions to complete the product registration process.
- Finally, update QuickBooks payroll again and check if the issue has been fixed or not.
Restart your System After that
- After selecting Safe Mode with Networking, choose which operating system you want to use to restart.
- Now, press Enter Key.
- Once you are done with login, select the System Administrator which will give you access to all computer programs.
- Then, Enter the Administrator Password.
- Moving ahead and choose the Yes option, when specific to work in a safe mode setting.
- Next, open your QuickBooks and also attempt the task once more that has failed.
- Lastly, restart the system after that.
How does it work?
We have access to a high-speed internet connection on our computer. Now we will restart your computer. If the start button is not visible on the computer screen, then your computer is unresponsive. Restart your computer again.
However, in case the system fails to load, we’ll locate the reset button in the system, or we’ll restart the computer only after 30 seconds.
As the computer starts and the Windows launches, we’ll follow these steps to ensure our error is fixed:
- Now we’ll keep pressing the F8 key until the system restarts. Now we will be able to see the Advanced Options menu. From here we’ll select Safe Mode w/ Networking and press enter. Please note that we will use this option only when we are having problems with Internet, otherwise, we will use Safe Mode.
- After the first step, we’ll have to select which Operating Software to use to restart our system.
- We’ll choose Administrator to access all the programs installed on the computer. After entering the administrator password and select yes to indicate that we are willing to work safe mode.
- In this final step, we’ll open your QuickBooks to try to update it again.
- If the connection is established, then it means that there was some problem with the QuickBooks connectivity while operating it in Windows Standard Mode. Now it is up to you to observe what creates the problem in QuickBooks while operating it in Standard Mode.
- Once we are done with the task, we’ll restart the computer in Standard mode.
The methods provided above should resolve your QuickBooks Update Error 1501 or any other 1500 error series. However, if you find yourself unable to complete the task by yourself, or you need assistance with some other QuickBooks or related product problems, you can get in touch with the QuickBooks Team. They are a third-party agency that has great expertise in resolving QuickBooks-related issues.
Does safe mode fix the QuickBooks Update Error 15101?
Yes, safe mode fixes the error code 15101 when you are not able to work in the normal mode.
To switch in Safe mode follow the steps below:-
1. When you select the Safe mode then also select the operating system
2. Press Enter key
3. Just after it click on the login
4. Then select the System Administrator with that you can access all programs and applications of the system
5. Type the password of the administrator to log in
6. Click on the Yes option in safe mode for specific work
7. Open your QuickBooks software and now do the work that causes you to error 15101
8. After this, restart your computer in normal mode, and you are done.
What if I do uninstall and reinstall my QuickBooks 2020 software to fix QuickBooks error code 15101?
You can do the uninstall and then reinstall process of your QuickBooks 2020 software or any other version of the software. if it resolves your problem then it is good. Otherwise, you have to find out the reason and then implement the solution to fix the error.
Is there any specific file that I have to run to fix QuickBooks error code 15101?
Yes, there is a file named reboot.bat that you can run as administrator. it helps your computer to re-register the .ocx, .dll, and other products file into your Windows operating system. So, you just have to locate it and then run it. After this, restart your system and open the QuickBooks software.