If you’re a Sage 50 U.S. user – the odds are pretty good considering you’re reading this – you may have run into a time when Sage 50 didn’t start as expected. This error typically occurs when the Database Service Manager, which is the workstation engine for Sage 50, is either inactive or unresponsive.
The number of things that Sage 50 performs for users makes it clear that the program used is structured in a complex way to help individuals. As a result, sometimes users have to face difficulties in the form of errors in Sage 50. The most common error that users face is Sage 50 2017 cannot be started please try again Sage 50 cannot be started please reboot or Sage 50 database cannot be started while upgrading after disabling the firewall.
|Sage 50 Cannot be Started
|Sage 50 Accounting could not be started. Please try again
|The Sage 50 database cannot be started while upgrading after disabling the firewall
|Damaged or missing files in the company data folder.
|If you are running Sage on a network and the workstation is still getting the error but the server is not, restart Actian on the workstation.
Exact Error Shown While User Facing Sage 50 Cannot be Started
There are various error messages that you might see if Sage 50 U.S. won’t start, including:
Error: “Sage 50 cannot be started please reboot.”
Error: “Sage 50 Accounting could not be started. Please try again.”
Error: “Sage 50 cannot be started” when Pervasive PSQL is not running or needs to be restarted
Error: “Sage 50 Accounting cannot be opened”
An error occurred after a power outage
Sometimes Sage 50—U.S. Edition opens and sometimes this error comes up after restarting the computer.
Sage 50 cannot be started after 2020 update
Using a single computer
If you encounter difficulty starting the program by clicking on the icon, try starting it again. Usually, the second attempt will work, as the first attempt should have launched the Database Service Manager.
If the issue persists, you can resolve it by rebooting your computer. After the reboot, wait a few minutes before attempting to start Sage 50 again. This will allow the services to start up properly.
Using a server
Attempt to start the program on the server. Similar to the stand-alone computer scenario, you may need to try starting the program twice. If this approach fails, reboot the server, ensuring that all users have closed all their applications prior to the reboot.
Sage 50 Error: Forms
Sage 50 cannot be started is a usual problem that restricts the working of the software.
However, there are various forms in which this error occurs. These included:
- Sage 50 cannot be started. Please reboot your computer or click Help for more information
- Sage 50 accounting could not be started. Please try again.
- Sage 50 cannot start
- Unable to open the program
- Sage 50 accounting could not be started
Sage 50 Cannot be Started is caused due to various possible reasons like
Sage 50 Cannot be Started because there are Damaged or missing files in the company data folder.
To know more read below:
There are several error messages that you can see if the Sage 50 U.S. Won’t start, including:
- Actian not operating
- Symantec is blocking Endpoint Protection actian
- Actian mislaid
- The disk is not mapped for the admin
- The firewall is stopping Activity or other Sage 50 files
- Internet Protocol edition 6 (IPv6) is allowed
- Access is restricted to Peachtree[edition].ini file
- Incomplete installation or damaged company file
- The updated serial number on the workstation but not the server
- The VPN connection failed
- Wrong data path
- Windows User Profile is Damaged
- Missing or damaged files in the data pathway
- Files stuck in the Open position
- Wrong allow set
- The workstation is not able to ping the server by name or IP Address
- Antivirus Obstacle activity or other sage 50 files
- Microsoft .NET Framework problems in Instance Viewer
- Can’t find the hostname on the pc
- Program operating in compatibility mode
- Norton 360 by Symantec is stopping programs
- Internet Protection is stopping the program
- Pc name extended more than 12 characters
- Not sufficient space available in the hard drive
- UAC (user accounts control) has blocked pervasive.
- Virus or malware lately encountered on the computer
- ~PVSW~.LOC is the old server name
These are the reasons and causes why Sage 50 cannot be started, there can be some functional issues also and it may be difficult for the user to locate the exact cause behind the error and how can it be resolved.
How to resolve the Sage 50 Cannot be Started Error?
To Solve Sage 50 Cannot be Started Restart Action on the computer that hosts the data.
Read More Below:
The solutions that can surely help you to start Sage 50 are:
1. Solution One: Verify Sage 50 Installed on The Server
The first solution is to verify whether Sage 50 is installed on the server you’re using.
To do so:
- Press Windows + R
- In the search bar, type cpl
- Click OK
- Open the Sage 50 Accounting version
2. Solution Two: Figure out the Compatibility Issue in Your System
The next step is to check the compatibility issues, if any, in the system. Keep in mind the Windows version you’re using as your operating system. Don’t forget, it is important to find if your version is compatible with the Sage 50 accounting software.
To check the compatibility, you need to:
- Start your system
- On the Sage icon, right-click and select Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Uncheck the checkbox that you find next to Run this program in compatibility mode for
- Tick the checkbox on the left side of the Run this program as an administrator
- Remove the check mark if your UAC is enabled
- Click Apply and then OK
3. Solution Three: Check for Data Path Permissions.
The next solution is to check for Data Path Permissions.
To see this:
- Start the Pervasive service
- Re-install the software using the option Run as administrator
- Provide access to the installer that is located in C:\Sage\Sage50_20xx_x\
- Select the exe file. Right-click it
- Click on Run as administrator
- In the dialog box, click on the Repair option
- Complete the installation process
4. Solution Four: Disable The User Account Control
Disabling the User Account Control is another important alternative to resolve the error.
To do so, you need to:
- Press Windows + R
- In the search bar, type useraccountcontrolsettings
- Click OK
- Move the slider bar and make it Never notify
- Click OK
- Click Yes if any prompt appears
- Restart your computer
5. Solution Five: Run The Program As an Administrator
Run the program as Administrator to resolve the Sage 50 cannot be started error.
Here are the steps to be followed to achieve this:
- Start your computer
- Go to the Sage Icon
- Right-click the option
- Click on the Compatibility
- Select Run as administrator
- Click OK
Besides the above-mentioned solutions to the Sage 50 error scenarios, there are certain minor elements to check before executing the above-mentioned step-wise solutions to solve the problems.
Before you apply any of the above solutions to the Sage 50 cannot be started issue, make sure your antivirus system is temporarily inactive. Antivirus software may not allow your accounting program to work properly.
6. Solution Six: It is a common solution to the problem.
- You need to restart pervasive on the system that is holding the data.
- Now, try to open the software, if it opens – the software error is resolved.
- If you are working on a network and the workstation is getting the error but not the server, restart pervasive on the workstation.
7. Solution Seven: First, you need to identify a common cause. For that, run the Sage Advisor Diagnostic test.
Note: You are to follow such steps on the steps that are getting the error. If you are on a network and all systems are getting the same errors, you need to perform such steps on the server.
- Go to Start –> All Programs –> go to Sage 50 Accounting –> Resources & help –> Support Utility –> Sage Advisor Diagnostic tool.
- Click on Agree.
- At this step, you need to select all the tests that we are listing below and then Run the selected tests.
- .NET Error Check – see at the bottom for the result.
- Company Location Test – if you find >OK at the end of each company file, that means all files are in the correct location
- Data Path Permissions Check
- Locked Files Check
- Workgroup/Domain Check
- Product INI files Check:
- Firewalls Check
- IP Address Check
- Needed Files Check
- Server Access Check
Alternative Solutions of Sage 50 Cannot be Started
Here are the mentioned alternative solutions of Sage 50 cannot be started. Please verify all the solutions before processing:
Solution 1: Recreate the Shortcut
- First of all, you have to click on the Sage 50 shortcut and select Delete.
- You do not need to worry because we are not going to remove the program completely.
- Now you have to browse the program path.
- Now find the icon and right-click on it.
- Select the option to recreate the shortcut of Sage 50 Accounting.
- Find the Exe file and right-click on it.
- After that click on send option and select send to desktop option.
- In this way, you can create a new shortcut on the desktop.
- You can also rename the new shortcut you create to differentiate it from the old one.
Solution 2: Damaged Reports Folder
- Exit Sage 50 from all systems located on the same server.
- After that browse you path and you will be able to find your system host.
- This will be the same server where your data will be hosted.
- Rename nameservers.
- Now click on the repair tool icon and you will be all right.
Solution 3: Restart Pervasive Workgroup Engine
Follow the steps given below:
- You must check to make sure no one else is using it If you’re using Sage 50 in a networked setting.
- You can find the Windows Desktop here, by clicking on the icon.
- Go to the Options menu and then select the Settings option
- The next step is to Choose the Control Panel
- Press and hold the Administrative Toys button twice.
- Double-click on the Services Section
- Look for the Pervasive PSQL Workgroup Engine in the Services Section on the right & click it.
- From the Action menu and select Stop.
- Choose Action and Restart.
Your Database Engine on Computer Is Unavailable
It is difficult to face the problem of this path. Especially when you are in the middle of some great work. Therefore, in this article, we have mentioned some easy and highly effective ways to deal with this problem. Just read and read this article, so that you can get rid of this problem by following the steps shown here.
Causes of Database Engine on Computer Is Unavailable
- The ~pvsw~.loc file in the company data set folder is pointing to the wrong server or is damaged
- The shared data folder has not been shared properly
Methods to Resolve Database Engine on Computer Is Unavailable
Here are the mentioned methods of Database Engine on Computer Is Unavailable:
Solution 1: Set Windows to Prefer IPV4 Address Over IPV6
Steps to change network protocol preference from IPv6 to IPv4:
- Use an admin account to log into Windows.
- Press Windows + R to open the run command.
- Input Regedit in the text field, and hit enter.
- From the left pane, navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters.
- Choose the New Key option to create a new registry key.
- Fill in the following information required for creating a new key option:
- Key: DisabledComponents
- Type: REG_DWORD
- Value: 0x20
Solution 2: The ~pvsw~.loc file in the company data set folder is pointing to the wrong server or is damaged
- First of all you have to close that version of Sage 50.
- Now you have to browse to the location of your company.
- For that company ~pvsw~ .loc has to be removed.
- Now Sage 50 has to be opened once again.
- You have to verify that the company is opening without any errors.
Solution 3: Encrypted File or Folder
- Select the Company file saved location
- Select Properties
- Select the General Tab and Choose Advanced
- Remove all the encrypted content to safeguard the data checkbox
- Select OK
What can be the reasons behind Sage 50 cannot start?
However, several reasons can lead to this issue but the compatibility mode settings on shortcuts and damaged or incorrect data paths are the most apparent reasons.
How do you restart Sage 50 or resolve errors Sage 50 cannot start?
Using the Sage 50 Data Service Manager, you can easily start Sage 50. The steps involved: Initially, go to the Windows start button from your keyboard. Next, type Sage 50 Data Service Manager and then hit the Sage 50 Data Service Manager application. Now, enter the name of the computer where data is held then click Connect. After that, using the drop-down choose the required version. Click Stop Service before clicking on the Data Service Manager. At last, hit the Start Service.
Why is sage running slowly?
Sage runs slowly when data gets corrupted or volume of data, infected anti-virus, computer or network issues or may have some environmental factors. There may be performance or drive access issues.
Speak to a Specialist about Your Sage Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with Sage Technical Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using SAGE Peachtree (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following Sage (50, 100, 200, Payroll, Peachtree, Cloud, 3X, Impact, HRMS, CRM, ERP, One & Fixed Assets) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- Sage Printer Support
- Complete Sage Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- Sage Windows Support