Sage 50 is an Accounting Software used by people who run a business and need help with their Accounts. Business Entrepreneurs use Sage 50 Software for many different purposes. Sometimes just like any other Software Sage 50 also faces some issues, which are called Sage Errors. In This article, we will discuss why Sage 50 Hangs on Startup.
Exact Error Shown While User Facing Sage 50 Hangs on Startup
Program hangs on grey screen when opening
Causes for Sage 50 Hangs on Startup
The Cause for Sage 50 Hangs on Startup is because the Decimal Settings have changed in Windows.
To Know More Read Below:
- The DDF. Files in the company data folder are damaged
- The DNS is not working properly
- DNS using IPv6 has high latency
- There was an issue in the Firewall Settings
- Copied the entire data path when moving the computer
- Multiple A/V Programs installed
- Decimal Settings changed in Windows
Now that we have gone through what causes Sage 50 to Hang on Startup, take a look at the Solutions to Solve Sage 50 Hangs on Startup Error.
Solution for Sage 50 Hangs on Startup
To solve the Error of Sage 50 Hangs on Startup Make sure that the regional settings for the Decimal are set correctly.
Read More Below in Detail:
Solution 1: Ensure that all the Windows updates are installed/Reboot the PC
Updating Windows installation with the latest patches released by Microsoft to address errors that occur because of certain components. Sage 50 may be encountering a problem when using a Windows component, so updating the operating system may fix Sage 50 hangs on startup.
Steps to update Windows 10 to fix Sage 50 crashing error:
- Log into Windows with an admin user account.
- Click on the Start menu from the taskbar.
- Choose Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Choose Windows Update.
- Select Check for Updates.
- Choose Download & Install Updates.
- Once the updates have been downloaded, restart your system so that Windows can install the updates.
Solution 2: Run as Administrator
With admin rights, Sage 50 can make the required changes to the files on the operating system. Changing compatibility is required when the User Account Control settings are active or when the user is logged into a standard user account.
Steps to run Sage 50 with administrator privileges:
- In the Start menu, type in Sage 50.
- Right-click on the Sage 50 icon and choose an open file location.
- Right-click on the Sage 50 icon, and select Properties.
- In the compatibility tab, mark the option to Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on Apply, then OK.
- Restart your system, and launch Sage 50.
Solution 3: Temporary Files are not extracting
By clearing the temporary files, you can remove the files that may be interfering with the Sage 50 process. These files are automatically generated by Windows, so you won’t lose any of your essential data.
Steps to delete temporary files in Windows:
- Browse the location of the Temporary file location, press Windows+R Keys, type %temp%, and then click OK.
- Select file name PS223000003.zip and then Select Properties
- Permissions should be Correctly Set
- Try to open Sage 50 U.S. Edition again, Run as Administrator
- Check if the Company is opening
Solution 4: Restart Actian service on the server
If the Actian Zen database service isn’t responding, then you can end the process from Task Manager. Then, you can restart the program so that the database service doesn’t hang.
- Go to the Server and restart the Actian service if Sage is running on a network
- Restart the Actian on the Workstation
- Check if the Company is opening without any issues
Solution 5: Allow SageMgr.exe to make Changes
User account control settings can sometimes stop Sage 50 from making changes on the Windows operating system. You can disable the User Account Control settings temporarily to verify the cause of Sage 50 hanging up on startup.
Steps to disable user account control settings in Windows:
- Go to the Start menu and search for UAC.
- Click on Change User Account Control settings.
- Choose the option Never notify by using the slider, then choose OK.
- When prompted with “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”, click on Yes.
- Restart your system so that the new settings can take effect.
Solution 6: Open the Program without opening the last used Company
- Open an existing company, then Browse
- Open the company, close the program, and open it again
Solution 7: Remove recently opened Companies in the registry
You can remove the recently opened companies from Windows Registry. But to accomplish this task, you need admin rights. Also, you should create a backup of your Windows registry before you make any changes to it.
Steps to remove recently opened companies in the registry:
- Close Sage, Press the Windows+R keys, Start, and then click Run.
- Type regedit in the box then click OK
- Choose File then Export and Select All
- To Backup the registry, type Sage 50 and then Save
- Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Peachtree\Version\(Version #)\Open History
- On the right side of the screen will show a list of companies and their directories, that have been opened on the computer
- Delete each Company which is to be removed from the list
Solution 8: Tracert to the Server
You can use the TRACERT utility to diagnose network errors on a Windows Server. TRACERT notes the route for connection by signaling ICPM (Internet Control Message Protocol) echo packets. You can use TRACERT to identify the spot at which the connection stopped.
Go through these steps:
- Run a tracert to the server by name and a tracert to the server by IP Address.
- If the return request is timed out, add a host file entry to force the DNS
Solution 9: Uninstall and Reinstall Actian
You can fix the damaged files for the Actian Zen database service by reinstalling the program on your system. After uninstalling the program, you can use a Sage 50 setup file to reinstall the service once again on your system.
Steps to reinstall Pervasive if the service doesn’t work correctly:
- Close all instances of Sage 50 on your server computer and connected workstations.
- Press Windows + R and input AppWiz.cpl in the input box. Hit Enter.
- Choose Programs & Features.
- Choose Actian PSQL v13 Workgroup R2.
- Choose uninstall and follow the on-screen instructions to remove the program.
- Go to the C drive.
- Search for folders titled pvsw and pvswarch, and delete them both.
- Go to the following locations and rename the Pervasive folder to Pervasile_Old.
- C:\Program Files (x86)
- Press Windows + R and input regedit, then hit Enter.
- Right-click on Computer and choose Export.
- Save a backup of your Registry to your desktop.
- Go to the following location in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node.
- Delete the following:
- Pervasive Software
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Install Pervasive/Actian using the following steps:
- Go to C:\Sage\Sage50_[version].
- Go to the PervasiveMin folder.
- Double-click on SetupWorkgroup32x86.exe.
- Choose Next, then agree to the terms and conditions.
- Choose Next, then select Run as Service.
- Click on Next then Complete.
- Choose Next, then Install, then Finish.
Solution 10: Reboot Server
You can restart the server to reset processes, close the unresponsive services, and clear the temporary files. Restarting the server can help you fix the Sage 50 hangs-on startup error.
Steps to restart the Windows server:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Escape to open the Task Manager.
- Go to More Details.
- Choose File, then Run new task.
- Input cmd.exe then hit enter.
- In the Command Prompt, input shutdown -r.
You can also restart the windows server with PowerShell with the following steps:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Escape.
- Choose the File menu, then Run new task.
- Input powershell.exe in the text field, then hit enter.
- Input Restart-Computer in Windows PowerShell, and hit Enter.
Your server will restart after a 5 second countdown. To restart the server remotely, you can use the command `Restart-Computer – ComputerName “SYSTEM_NAME`.
Solution 11: Disconnecting from the network to identify a possible DNS issue
- Use the Database Repair Utility to Point the data local.
- Open Sage and allow it to activate and then create a new company.
- Close Sage.
- by disabling network sharing or unplugging the network cable, Disconnect from the network.
- Reconnect to the network.
- Change data path to point back to the network.
- Verify Sage opens fine.
Solution 12: Delete all .DDF files in the company data folder
When you save a transaction, Sage 50 US version could not work properly because of problems with the database engine or damage to the DDF file. No matter what kind of transaction you create, Sage 50 will crash every time you attempt to save it. The programme still fails even if you make changes to data in an invoice or bill and then try to save them.
Steps to delete the DDF Files to prevent Sage 50 from crashing:
- Log into Sage 50 company file with an admin account.
- Go to the Maintain menu, then choose Company Information.
- Note the Directory for the company file.
- Close Sage 50 on the server and all the connected workstations.
- Press Windows + E to launch the Windows Explorer.
- Go to the Directory that you noted from Sage 50.
- Right click on the userpref.dat file, then select Rename.
- Replace the DAT with OLD in the file name, then click on Ok.
- Choose Yes to change the extension of the file.
- Find DDL Files in the same directory and delete them.
- Launch Sage 50 and log into the company file.
Solution 13: Set Windows to prefer IPv4 address over IPv6
Changing the network protocol can enable Sage 50 to connect to the data file stored on a separate server. Changing these settings requires you to log into windows with an admin account.
Steps to change network protocol preference from IPv6 to IPv4:
- Use an admin account to log into Windows.
- Press Windows + R to open the run command.
- Input Regedit in the text field, and hit enter.
- From the left pane, navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters.
- Choose the New Key option to create a new registry key.
- Fill in the following information required for creating a new key option:
- Key: DisabledComponents
- Type: REG_DWORD
- Value: 0x20
Solution 14: Internet Security Settings are set to high
Change the internet security settings from the Internet Explorer. As it’s the default browser user by various Sage 50 versions, you can configure the browser to change the security settings.
- Press Windows+R keys.
- Type internet explorer, and then click OK to launch Internet Explorer.
- Select Tools icon.
- Select Internet Options.
- Select the Security tab.
- Select Reset all zones to the default level.
- Verify the application launches to the landing page more quickly.
Solution 15: Make sure that regional settings for the Decimal is set correctly
Select the correct region settings and verify the date and time settings so that Sage 50 can connect to the internet properly. Altering the region alters the manner in which your data is displayed. For instance, in Germany a decimal point is replaced with a comma.
Follow these steps to choose the correct region, date, and time settings:
- click Start and type in Region Settings
- Scroll down under related settings and click Additional Date, Time, & Regional settings
- another window will pop up and click Change date, Time, or number formats
- Under the Formats tab click Additional Settings… button
- Verify that the Decimal Symbol is set to a period
Solution 16: Reinstall Sage 50 on your System
Reinstalling Sage 50 will replace all the program files for Sage 50 on your system. So any damaged file will automatically be replaced with a new one. This solution can help you fix the “Sage 50 hangs on Startup” error, if the error is caused by damaged program files.
Steps to repair Sage 50 on Windows:
- From the Start menu, choose Settings.
- Go to Apps, then Apps & Features.
- Choose Sage 50, and click on Advanced Options.
- Choose the Repair option.
Alternatively, you can download and launch the setup for your version of Sage 50. Then, you can choose the Repair option.
Reinstall Sage 50 on your server and workstation to fix any program file related errors. You can try the repair function before reinstalling the software.
Steps to remove DSN and ODBC data sources from your system:
- Log into an Administrator User Account in windows.
- Follow the instruction for your version of windows:
- 32 bit Windows: Right click on the Start menu and choose Run. Type in ODBCAD32 and hit Enter.
- 64 bit Windows: Go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64, and double click on ODBCAD32.EXE.
- Go to the System DSN tab.
- Choose the Sage Line 50 entries, and select Remove.
- Click on Ok.
Steps to uninstall Sage 50 from Windows:
- Type Control Panel in the Start menu search bar.
- Click on the Control Panel option.
- Choose Programs and Features from the available list.
- Select Sage 50 and click on Uninstall.
Here’s a list of files that you need to delete:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sage SBD
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Sage EBanking
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sage Report Designer 2007
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sage Line50
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sage Shared
Then proceed with the following steps:
- Browse to one of the files listed above.
- Right-click on the File.
- Choose Properties.
- Go to the Version tab, and choose Company Name.
- If the Company Name is Sage (UK) Limited or Sage, then right-click on the file again and choose Uninstall.
You should also reinstall the .NET framework to ensure that this essential dependency for Sage 50 is working properly. If files related to .NET Framework are damaged, then Sage 50 will hang on startup.
Steps to uninstall .NET Framework:
- Right Click on the Start menu.
- Choose Run, and type Control Panel into the text field.
- Hit Enter.
- Go to Programs and Features.
- Choose .Net Framework, and click on Change/Uninstall.
- Choose Uninstall, and follow the on-screen instructions to remove .NET Framework from your system.
Steps to reinstall .Net Framework:
- Download the setup for .Net Framework.
- Double click on the Setup to Launch it.
- Choose Yes if prompted by user account control settings to confirm.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install .Net Framework from your system.
- Click on Finish, and restart your system.
You can now launch the Setup for your version of Sage 50 and install the program on your system.
sage won’t open after splash screen
If you get Sage 50 software hangs on the splash screen after entering your login details, so this type of Windows system information can be a problem.
The solution to fix Sage won’t open after splash screen
Here are the mentioned steps for fixing the sage won’t open after the splash screen, before processing all the steps to resolve. Please verify all steps:
- First, you must type cmd in the Windows search bar, then right-click on the command prompt and click on Run as administrator.
- After that, you have to type net stop winmgmt and then close the command prompt.
- Now press the Windows + E key and browse to the following folder.
- Right-click on the repository folder click on Rename and change the name of the folder to repository.old.
- If you are using a 64-bit computer then you have to browse to C:\Windows\system32\webme and rename it as well.
- After that, you must type kand in the Windows search bar and open Run As Administrator by right-clicking on the command prompt.
- Then you have to enter the net start command and close the command prompt.
- After that, you have to restart your computer.
- Once restarted, you must open a Sagw 50 account and log in to the company. If the problem persists then you have to uninstall and reinstall the Sage50Cloud account.
Sage 50 hangs on startup for a variety of reasons, including program file errors and network errors. You can use the various solutions in this expansive guide on fixing the “Sage 50 hangs on startup” error. If you still encounter the error despite going through the solutions, then get in touch with our Sage 50 experts.
Will I lose my data if I delete temporary files?
No, you won’t. The TEMP folder in windows stores temporary files that are automatically cleared by the operating system after they’re no longer useful. These files store unessential information such as cookie data. After deleting the temporary files, when you launch the program again, the temporary file will be recreated.
Where can I download the setup for my version of Sage 50?
You can download the setup for your version of Sage 50 from the official website. You can also log into your Sage 50 account and find your purchases. From there, you can choose the product and download its setup.
Does reinstalling Sage 50 also reinstall the Actian Zen database service?
Yes, it does. If you’re going to reinstall the entire software, then you can avoid the solution that requires you to reinstall Actian Zen database service. Also, note that the latest version of Sage 50 has an updated database service, so if you have the 2023 edition of Sage 50 installed on your system, then the database services for two different versions may conflict with each other.
How to differentiate between network and program file error in Sage 50?
You can run Sage 50 on the main server to ensure that the program is working properly. Then you can open a sample company file in each of the workstations. If you encounter an error during this process, then program files are to blame. Otherwise, you need to troubleshoot for network errors.
Speak to a Specialist about Your Sage Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with Sage Technical Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using SAGE Peachtree (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following Sage (50, 100, 200, Payroll, Peachtree, Cloud, 3X, Impact, HRMS, CRM, ERP, One & Fixed Assets) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- Sage Printer Support
- Complete Sage Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- Sage Windows Support