QuickBooks error is a usual thing that is usually experienced by QB users because of software, data, or sometimes due to system issues. In this article, you’ll come to know about common QuickBooks Unexpected Errors that can be caused by several reasons. Few reasons are like damaged Windows Admin users, missing Windows components, damaged company files, etc.
Now that we’ve solidified what causes QuickBooks Unexpected Error, let’s begin our deep dive into the details of the other common QuickBooks unexpected and its quick resolutions process. So stay tuned!
Users may come across one of these ‘unexpected’ errors while starting QuickBooks in Windows:
- Unexpected Error: An error has occurred in QuickBooks. Please restart QuickBooks and try again. If you continue to experience this error, please note the C= value and contact technical support. C=342.
- Unexpected Error: An error has occurred in QuickBooks. C=342. QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close.
- QBW32: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor. DETAILS: QBW32 caused an invalid page fault in module APPCORE.DLL.
- 1 About Unexpected Error: An Error has Occurred in QuickBooks
- 2 Causes Behind The Unexpected Error : An Error has Occurred in QuickBooks
- 3 Signs and symptoms of common QuickBooks Unexpected Error
- 4 Solutions of Unexpected Error : An Error has Occurred in QuickBooks
- 5 #1. Unexpected token in join at position 0 QuickBooks
- 6 #2. An unexpected error has occurred in “QuickBooks”: returning null qbwininstance handle
- 7 #3. QuickBooks unexpected Error 5
- 8 #4. QuickBooks got unexpected error 5 in call to netsharegetinfo for path
- 9 #5. There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks with company file
- 9.1 What is There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks with company file?
- 9.2 How to Fix There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks with company file?
- 10 #6. QuickBooks something unexpected happened and we can’t connect to wells Fargo
- 11 #7. Creating a statement in QuickBooks unexpected problem error
- 12 #8. There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks 80029c4a
- 13 #9. QuickBooks event id 4 unexpected error
- 14 #10. QuickBooks unexpected internal error (-31600)
- 15 #11. OL-226 unexpected QuickBooks Error
About Unexpected Error: An Error has Occurred in QuickBooks
|Error Name:||QuickBooks Unexpected Error||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||Unexpected Error: An error has occurred in QuickBooks. C=342. QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close.||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||QBW32.EXE file, the QuickBooks Desktop shortcut, is in Microsoft Windows compatibility mode., The company data file has been damaged.||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptoms:||QuickBooks Desktop won’t respond or work, Windows operating system got frezon.||Possible Solution:||Opening a Sample File, Disabling Windows Compatibility Mode.|
Causes Behind The Unexpected Error : An Error has Occurred in QuickBooks
The above errors can occur due to the following reasons:
- QBW32.EXE file, the QuickBooks Desktop shortcut, is in Microsoft Windows compatibility mode.
- The company data file has been damaged.
- The Admin user in Windows has been corrupted.
- The company file for QuickBooks is corrupt.
- The QuickBooks Company file is corrupted in the folder where it is stored.
- Windows Components that isn’t present.
- The QBW32.exe file as well as the QB Desktop shortcut, is in compatibility mode with Microsoft Windows.
- The data file for the company has been corrupted or damaged.
Signs and symptoms of common QuickBooks Unexpected Error
The symptoms vary depending on the type of difficulty you’re having, such as company files, upgrades, installation, and so on. Among the signs and symptoms, here are few of them:
- While working, the Windows operating system crashed.
- QuickBooks Desktop isn’t responding or working properly.
- You’re giving slow input using your mouse and keyboard.
- The Windows operating system has become unresponsive.
- The QuickBooks program froze or crashed.
Solutions of Unexpected Error : An Error has Occurred in QuickBooks
Below are some steps to resolve Unexpected Error: An Error Has Occurred in QuickBooks:
- Opening a Sample File
- Disabling Windows Compatibility Mode
Users must first try to ensure that there’s no data damage by trying to open a QuickBooks sample company file. In case the error persists, the Windows compatibility mode must be disabled.
1. Solution One: Opening a Sample File
Below are some steps to open the sample file:
- Users must hold down the Ctrl key while opening QuickBooks. Once the ‘No Company Open’ window appears, the Ctrl key must be released. If the error crops up before the ‘No Company Open’ window opens, users must take steps to disable the Windows compatibility mode.
- When the ‘No Company Open’ window opens, users must select ‘Open a sample file’ and then choose any sample file from the list.
- If the sample file opens without showing the error, the company file might be damaged. If this is the case, then users must go through ‘Verifying and rebuilding QuickBooks company data’ or restore the company file from a backup file.
- In case the error occurs when the sample file is opened, Windows compatibility mode must be disabled.
2. Solution Two: Disabling Windows Compatibility Mode
Users must first right-click on the QuickBooks icon on the desktop and select ‘Properties. Next, select the ‘Compatibility’ tab. Now, uncheck ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select OK. If this option is not selected, choose ‘Cancel’ and proceed to the next step.
A. Disabling compatibility mode for QBW32.EXE file
Steps to Disabling compatibility mode for QBW32.EXE file:
- First, users must right-click on the QuickBooks icon on their desktop and select ‘Properties’. Next, they must select the ‘Shortcut’ tab and then choose ‘Find Target’, which will open the QuickBooks installation folder.
- Now, users must right-click on the QBW32.EXE file and select ‘Properties’. Next, select the ‘Compatibility’ tab. Now, users must uncheck ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select OK. If this option isn’t checked, then select ‘Cancel’.
- Now, exit Windows Explorer and close the QuickBooks Desktop shortcut properties window.
- Next, open QuickBooks Desktop again and try to reopen the company file.
#1. Unexpected token in join at position 0 QuickBooks
What is Unexpected token in join at position 0 QuickBooks?
You get an error notice that says “Something isn’t quite right.” When trying to use online banking functions, you get an error message that says “Unexpected token in JSON at position 0 QuickBooks.” Because the QB data is affected by the browser’s bloated cache, you should try logging in to your account with a different browser (Mozilla, Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer). The problem could also be caused by too much data being saved on your browser, causing the software to malfunction.
How to Fix Unexpected token in join at position 0 QuickBooks?
To utilize QuickBooks incognito/private mode, press Ctrl + Shift + N for Chrome and Ctrl + Shift + P for Mozilla, then open QBO here and see whether it fixes the problem. If it doesn’t, proceed to the next step:
A. QBO App should be updated
Click the Help menu >> in the Windows program. Reset the data on the app
This step will aid in the removal of any stored software files that may have an impact or cause problems with the program.
B. Reset the data in the app
The procedure aids with the updating of the app and ensures that it functions as intended:
- At the top of the page, select the Help menu
- Select “Reset App Data” from the drop-down menu
- Wait for the process to finish before shutting down the software
- Now, do a right-click on the app and then select “Run as an Administrator” while re-opening.
Note: Hope you've resolved this issue, if not then have words with experts via Live Chat button listed below;
#2. An unexpected error has occurred in “QuickBooks”: returning null qbwininstance handle
What is An unexpected error has occurred in “QuickBooks”: returning null qbwininstance handle?
When the user runs the (QBi) QuickBooks Integration Manager tool, an error called Event id 4 occurs. “Integration Manager was unable to connect to QuickBooks,” reads the error notice. The message “Please make sure it’s open” is displayed to the user. Under Windows Event Viewer, you might see “QuickBooks Event ID 4 – An unexpected error has occurred” in “QuickBooks: Returning NULL QBWinInstance Handle.” QuickBooks installed on the server may also be affected by this Windows-specific problem. This issue is caused due to .NET Framework 4.0 SP 1 on your Windows.
How to fix An unexpected error has occurred in “QuickBooks”: returning null qbwininstance handle?
To resolve the error, make sure you attempt the below instructions:
- Start with clicking on the Start menu and then select Run
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box
- Next, the Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features window will appear
- Locate Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 by scrolling down
- Select it and then select the Uninstall option
- Restart the computer after uninstalling the.NET Framework
- After the computer has restarted, go to the Windows Start menu followed by clicking on the Run window
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box
- This will launch the Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs dialogue
- Click Add Remove Windows Features on the left side of the window
- The Windows Feature screen will appear as a result of this
- Expand .NET Framework till Microsoft .NET 3.5 appears, then check the first and second options
- Click the Ok button
- This will install the .NET Framework 3.5
- Please click Finish when you’re finished
- Restart your computer if necessary
- To integrate, simply follow the regular steps.
Note: Hope you've resolved this issue, if not then consider to visit a dedicated article of An unexpected error has occurred in “QuickBooks”: returning null qbwininstance handle or have words with experts via Instant Live Chat option listed below;
#3. QuickBooks unexpected Error 5
What is QuickBooks unexpected Error 5?
User faces QuickBooks unexpected Error 5 while operating QB software. The error occurs when QB Database Service User does not possess sufficient permissions to access the file location. It can also happen when your system is not configured properly or there are invalid entries in your Windows registry.
How to Fix QuickBooks unexpected Error 5?
Method 1: Use the Reimage Repair Tool
- The very first, you have to download the Reimage Repair Tool
- In the next step, save the file to your desktop
- Now, do a right-click on the Reimage Repair Tool link and select “Save it to your Desktop” from the drop-down menu
- Then, when your prompt appears on your screen, go to the file location and click the “Yes” button
- To begin the automatic scan, make sure you do not choose the checkbox
- After clicking Install, the program will begin scanning
- After you’ve finished scanning, click the Start Repair button
- Finally, restart your computer to see whether “Unexpected Error 5” appears.
Note: Hope you've resolved this issue, if not then have words with experts via Live Chat button listed below;
When the QuickBooks Database Service User is denied access to the file location, an unexpected error 5 occurs. The notification “Got unexpected error 5 is a call to NetShareGetInfo for Path” appears when this issue occurs. This error is caused by erroneous entries in the Windows registry or by the system which is not being configured properly. QuickBooks unexpected error 5 is an issue that usually manifests itself as a warning message.
Encountered Unexpected Error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path\\server\file.QBW
An Unexpected Error Occurs “Intuit QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions: Contractor 16.0”: V26.0D R3 (M=1066, L=335, C=249, V=0 (0)).
Solution 1: Remove the user
- Start with opening your company tab and then choose Users
- Next, select the option “Set-up Users and Roles”
- After that, choose the user within from the user list
- In the end, click Ok to confirm the action.
Solution 2: Turn off the User Account Control in Windows
- The first step is to open the run window by pressing Windows + R keys together from you console
- Then type control panel and press the Ok key
- The following step is to pick user accounts, as well as user accounts (classic view)
- Change the user account control settings in the next step
- It’s worth noting that if UAC prompts you, you must choose Yes to proceed
- Now move the slider as follows:
- To turn UAC off, set it to never notify and hit the Ok tab
- Set it to Always notify and select Ok to enable UAC (If prompted, select Yes to continue)
- The final step is to restart the computer.
If the error is still not resolved then you can try using the QuickBooks File Doctor tool, Reimage Repair tool, and try to update your QB POS.
Note: Hope you've resolved this issue, if not then consider to visit a dedicated article of QuickBooks got unexpected error 5 in call to netsharegetinfo for path or have words with experts via Instant Live Chat option listed below;
#5. There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks with company file
What is There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks with company file?
One of the most typical issues seen by users is QuickBooks error 80070057, which indicates that the parameter is wrong, particularly when the company file is accessed. This error code means that you do not have sufficient authorization to remove the files. One of the most prevalent causes is incorrect firewall and internet security settings. Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks files are another possibility for the occurrence of the error. When trying to open your company file in QuickBooks Desktop, you may encounter the following error notification on your screen:
Error Code 80070057: “There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks”
Error: “80070057 the parameter is incorrect” and “You do not have sufficient permissions to delete files…”.
How to Fix There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks with company file?
Method 1: Authenticate the company file name extension
- Go to the properties of the company file after selecting it
- Go to the QuickBooks tab and click on it
- In the Filename area, type the file extension, and in the last opened with a file, type the version of the QB Software
- To continue, press the Ok button
- Change the extension of the file
- Copy the company file from where it is now and paste it into a new folder on the Flash drive.
If the above method won’t work then you can download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
Method 2: The steps involved under the File Doctor tool:
- First, you have to make sure that QuickBooks should be closed
- Save the QuickBooks Tool Hub file to your system after downloading it
- When you’re finished, double-click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to open it
- And then install it by following the on-screen directions and agreeing to the terms and conditions
- Open the QuickBooks tool hub by double-clicking the icon
- Go to the tab for company file issues
- After that, choose Run QuickBooks File Doctor
- In file doctor, pick the company file from the drop-down option
- If you are unable to locate the company file, select Browse and search from the drop-down menu
- Choose the option to check your file, then choose the option to proceed
- After that, enter your QuickBooks admin password and choose the Next button
- The final step is to open QuickBooks as well as company file to verify that the problem has been rectified.
Note: Hope you've resolved this issue, if not then have words with experts via Live Chat button listed below;
#6. QuickBooks something unexpected happened and we can’t connect to wells Fargo
What is QuickBooks something unexpected happened and we can’t connect to wells Fargo?
Users are getting “QuickBooks something unexpected happened and we can’t connect to wells Fargo” while connecting QB software with their associate bank. This comes up after answering the security question. Bank confirmed that it is showing a successful connection on their end.
How to fix QuickBooks something unexpected happened and we can’t connect to wells Fargo?
To isolate the issue, try the below suggested troubleshooting:
To start with, open your QuickBooks Online using a Private/Incognito browser as it is the best place to spot web issues. These browsers won’t save any browsing histories.
- Google Chrome: Ctrl + Shift + N
- Safari 11 or newer: ⌘ + Shift + N
- Mozilla Firefox: Ctrl + Shift + P
- Microsoft Edge: Ctrl + Shift + P
Reconnect the bank once you’ve logged in to ensure it’s working properly. If you’re able to, we’ll need to return to your regular browser and clear the cache to get rid of the junk files. It’s also a good idea to use one of the other supported browsers.
Your recent transactions will be instantly pulled into the system once the bank account is connected. To see the data in the For Review section, click to the Banking tab and hit Update. Then, to avoid any duplicates, categories the data.
#7. Creating a statement in QuickBooks unexpected problem error
What is Creating a statement in QuickBooks unexpected problem error?
Users getting an error message “Creating a statement in QuickBooks unexpected problem error” while attempting to create a statement using the Action menu on the Customer List.
How to fix Creating a statement in QuickBooks unexpected problem error?
In this situation, you can try switching to a different browser. It is a good place to fix errors like this and identify whether the problem is caused by the system or the browser. Once you have opened a new browser, try to create the statements for your customers again and edit the start date. If it works then your main browser may be filled with historical data from previously visited websites. It can slow down QuickBooks and cause unusual behaviors like this. To fix it, you can clear your main browser’s cache and ensure it doesn’t happen again.
#8. There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks 80029c4a
What is There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks 80029c4a?
QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a is an unexpected error that occurs when a user tries to open a company file or QuickBooks. There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks 80029c4a due to a damaged or corrupted company file. However, this issue is also referred to as a run-time error, and it can be caused by a variety of circumstances like corrupt download, incomplete installation, virus or malware infection, etc.
How to fix There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks 80029c4a?
Perform a Clean Install of your QuickBooks Software to fix unexpected error 80029c4a
- The first step is to reinstall using a Clean Install.
- Next, you have to update your software to the latest release.
- From the File menu, click on the “Close Company/Logoff.
- You have to do this step for every company that is open, if you open multiple company files in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to the File menu followed by clicking on the Exit button.
- Do a right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your desktop.
- Click on Run as an Administrator.
- Ensure that you are in the “No Company Open”.
- Choose “Update QuickBooks” from the Help menu.
- Select and click on the “Mark all” button and then click “Save”.
- Click on the “Update Now” >>> “Reset Update”.
- After that, click on the Get Updates and then close your software when successful messages appear for Update completion
- Finally, restart your system once the installation is successfully done.
In any case, the above steps won’t work out then you’re required to Repair your Windows, try to evaluate Anti-virus software, or you can try to run Reboot.bat, if required.
Note: Hope you've resolved this issue, if not then consider to visit a dedicated article of There was an unexpected error reported while trying to run QuickBooks 80029c4a or have words with experts via Instant Live Chat option listed below;
#9. QuickBooks event id 4 unexpected error
What is QuickBooks event id 4 unexpected error?
QuickBooks event id 4 unexpected errors usually experienced when the user accesses the QuickBooks Integration Manager program (QBi). There is another reason if you’ve installed on your Windows 7 Service Pack 1 PC, install Net Framework 4.0 or any prior version. When this happens, you’ll get the following error messages on your screen:
Integration Manager could not connect to QuickBooks. Please make sure that it is open
QuickBooks Event ID 4 – An unexpected error has occurred in “QuickBooks”: Returning NULL QBWinInstance Handle.
How to fix QuickBooks event id 4 unexpected error?
Well, incompatibility of the Microsoft.NET Framework with third-party apps is one of the most prevalent causes of problems and warnings in the Windows event log. In most circumstances, manually reinstalling and upgrading the.NET Framework fixes the problem.
Step to reinstall .Net Framework on Windows
- To open the Run Window, press the Windows key + R on your keyboard at the same time
- Press the Enter key after typing the command Appwiz.cpl
- Locate and choose Microsoft .Net Framework from the Programs and Features list
- Select Uninstall/Change, and then restart your computer once the uninstalling procedure is complete
- Return to the Programs and Features window and select Add/Remove Windows Features from the left side panel
- To extend the list of apps, select Microsoft.Net Framework
- Select “OK” after checking the first and second checkboxes
- To completely uninstall the MS framework installation, follow the instructions as they appear on the screen
- Download and install the most recent version of Microsoft after deleting the prior installation .NET Framework version 4.8
- Finally, restart your computer and reopen QuickBooks Integration Manager.
Important Note: In case you're unable to uninstall .NET Framework from your system, you can use the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter to fix the error.
Most of the time, reinstalling .Net Framework on Windows will resolve the error. But if it fails to resolve the issue, you can run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, or you can use the QB Clean Install Tool.
Note: Hope you've resolved this issue, if not then consider to visit a dedicated article of QuickBooks event id 4 unexpected error or have words with experts via Instant Live Chat option listed below;
#10. QuickBooks unexpected internal error (-31600)
What is QuickBooks unexpected internal error (-31600)?
The QuickBooks unexpected internal error (-31600) can arise for a variety of reasons. When the user is producing portable files or backups, sending payrolls, saving new transactions, and so on, these are just a few situations where you can experience error code -31600.
How to fix QuickBooks unexpected internal error (-31600)?
Step 1: Make sure that the number of users is within the limit
A change in numbers is one of the possible causes of QuickBooks Error Code 31600. To track and correct this mistake, follow the steps suggested below:
- Navigate to the company in QuickBooks Desktop
- Choose a user number and a password
- Select the Company section and then users in the Enterprise version
- Select Set Up Users and Roles from the Select Option
- Now, go to Add User and fill out all of the required information
- Next should be clicked
- You have the option to customize your account and then “Finish” should be selected.
Step 2: Create an administrator
- Select Settings from the Start menu
- Select Family and other Users from the Account menu
- Select Add someone else to the PC from Other users
- Then choose I don’t have this sign-in credentials, then Add a user and leave the Microsoft Account out
- After that, choose Finish and give it a name
- Now go ahead and assign a type to the newly formed account
- Select Admin from the drop-down menu and right-click it.
#11. OL-226 unexpected QuickBooks Error
What is OL-226 unexpected QuickBooks Error?
OL-226 unexpected QuickBooks Error happen when attempting to execute online tasks like submitting bill payments or downloading transactions from the Bank Feeds Centre. If there was a connection interruption in the last online banking session (system crash, power outage, firewall difficulty, damaged online vendor payee, or bill payment partially received by bank), this could happen.
Important: To avoid accidentally re-processing previously-sent payments or missing payments, please contact your financial institution before resolving stopped online checks or bill payments. Check the status of the most recent transactions sent as well as those still in the queue. Knowing this information can aid you in making educated judgments after you have recovered from an issue.
How to fix OL-226 unexpected QuickBooks Error?
- To resolve the error, a “forced” send/receive or delete of an online payment may be required. Intuit recommends several solutions for this error.
- If you have more than one account activated for online banking, at the same financial institution, be sure to only sync one account at a time to help isolate the problem account.
- Make sure to back up the QuickBooks company file.
Many times, common QuickBooks Unexpected Error can be frustrating for users to deal with. However, after following the above troubleshooting might help you in fixing the issue with much ease. If by any chance the error persists, or in case of any query, do not hesitate just leave your queries on Live Chat and you’ll get reliable remedies in no time.