If you are wondering whether working with a QuickBooks file from a Windows computer to a Mac computer is possible or not, the answer is Yes.
It is possible to convert any company file of QuickBooks for windows for the year and its last two years to the Mac version of QuickBooks. For instance, if you have a QuickBooks Desktop Mac 2020, you can change your file from QuickBooks for Windows 2018, along with 2019 and 2020.
Why do you need to convert a QuickBooks file from Windows to Mac?
Irrespective of whether you are a personal finance manager or own a small business, QuickBooks in Mac makes it convenient to manage the accounting and financing goals.
Furthermore, with the days passing by, more businesses are shifting to Mac computers for their regular operations, since it is very stable and durable. Most such businesses use QuickBooks Pro or Premier to handle their accounting and their inventory.
Using QuickBooks for Mac gives them an edge over their competitors.
How to convert a specific QuickBooks file for Windows to Mac?
Converting a file from QuickBooks Windows to QuickBooks for Mac involves two primary steps:
- Ensure that your QuickBooks for Desktop for Windows is updated
- As an administrator, open the file
- In the file menu, choose Utilities. Click Copy the Company File, which is for QuickBooks Mac
- Do as per the instructions and QuickBooks will make a MAC.qbb file for you.
- A message will pop up that says, ‘It looks like QuickBooks for Windows is a better fit for your desktop’.
- Select Yes and continue
- In the specific folder where you want to save the file, ensure to add a proper name and click Save. Ensure no special characters are used in the file name.
- Use a storage device like a USB flash drive to move the specific file to your particular MAC.
Restore it in MAC
When you finalize to initiate the transfer process, ensure that QuickBooks on your Mac is installed after a legal purchase. It is not possible to install the Windows version on a specific Mac computer.
- Ensure that QuickBooks Desktop for Mac is updated
- Close the QuickBooks and copy the backup created to the specific document folder on your particular MAC
- Open QuickBooks Desktop for MAC again, choose File, and then click Open Company
- Choose MAC.qbb file, and then click Open
- Choose OK when it will prompt to restore QuickBooks for the Windows file
- Add a name for the restored file and choose Save
Note: Once the file is converted, double-check your accounts and lists to ensure that all the information transferred is precise and accurate.