Users usually bump into Error 1646 when installing QuickBooks. When the error occurs, it displays an error notification which says “Error 1646 installing quickbooks.msi uninstallation of the update package is not supported”. Moreover, it can happen when you try to install QuickBooks Desktop Premier on a computer that already has QuickBooks Desktop Pro installed from the same year. Not only that, but this problem can also occur when installing QuickBooks accountant on a system that already has a premier edition from the same year installed. Because the error message itself seems annoying, we’ve compiled a list of the most appropriate solutions to this problem. Make sure you read this article all the way to the conclusion.
Reasons behind the occurrence of Error 1646 when installing QuickBooks
Here is the list of possible causes that could hinder the error code 1646 during your installation process.
- If the Microsoft NET 1.1 SP1 installer is incorrectly installed.
- When the company file is locked, you can detect the issue.
- If your operating system is out of date.
- It’s possible that your temporary folders in Windows are full.
- It’s possible that the installation procedure isn’t receiving permissions.
- Damaged Microsoft C++ and MSXML components may also indicate the same thing.
Quick ways to repair Error 1646 when installing QuickBooks
To fix the QuickBooks error 1646, you can simply use the Clean Install Tool. Because the company file and everything it contains aren’t involved, a Clean Install will have no effect on the accounting data. The following are the steps involved in using the Clean Install Tool:
Step 1: Gather all information related to QuickBooks Product
- The installer for your QuickBooks version must be downloaded in your initial step
- Make sure you have your license number with you at all times
- Make a note of the year and version of the product you’re using.
Step 2: Uninstall your QuickBooks Desktop
- To uninstall QuickBooks, go to the Start menu and search for the Control panel which you should open
- The following step is to select programs and features, or to uninstall a software
- Choose the QuickBooks Desktop version with which you’re having problems
- After that, you must select uninstall or change, then remove followed by hitting the “Next” tab.
Step 3: Manually rename the QuickBooks Desktop installation folders
The next step is to rename the folders manually to reflect the hidden files, and then rename the folder location. This can be accomplished by adding. That’s all there is to it. Put old at the end of the folder names and that’s all. This operation will allow you to prevent QuickBooks from recognizing the folder when you create a new one. Now, move to the final step.
Step 4: Reinstall your QuickBooks Desktop
After you’ve completed the above procedures, you should reinstall QuickBooks and see if the issue still exists.
- Open the QuickBooks.exe file
- Follow the directions on your screen
- Also, accept the software license agreement before moving on to the next step
- Enter your Product and License numbers in the fields provided and then choose “Next”.
Choose the best installation method for you
When you install QuickBooks, you have two options. You have the option of either an Express Install or a Custom and Network installation.
If you’re in the following situations, we propose an express:
- An inexperienced user.
- QuickBooks is being reinstalled.
- QuickBooks will be installed on a single PC (not as part of a network of computers).
- Select the “Express” tab before clicking on the “Next” button
- In the next step, Install should be chosen
- Select Open QuickBooks after it’s finished.
Custom and Network Install
If you’re looking for a custom installation, you’re recommended:
- Installing QuickBooks at a different place than the default (such as on a server)
- On a server, you can host your company’s files
- Set up a multi-user network
- Select Custom and Network Options before hitting on the “Next” button
- Choose the one that best represents your QuickBooks usage
- Select “Change the install location” on the next screen
- Choose Browse to find a location for your QuickBooks folder
- The majority of users save it to their Programs folder
- To begin the installation, select “Next”
- Select Open QuickBooks after it’s finished.
Additional ways to overcome Error 1646 when installing QuickBooks
There is an alternative way to fix the error. Here’s what:
Uninstall your QuickBooks and rename the installation folders manually
- To begin, you must uninstall QuickBooks
- In order to display hidden files, follow the procedures below
- Open the Start menu in Windows
- You must search for and open the “File Explorer” application
- The next step is to locate and access the folder containing QuickBooks company files
- In most circumstances, this will be the QuickBooks folder
- This can be found in any of the paths listed below:
- C:\Users\(Current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Now, do a right-click on the folder and select the rename option
- The next step is to append the term “old” to the folder’s name
- When you reinstall QuickBooks, the software will not attempt to open it
- In the end, reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
If you receive an access error warning while attempting to rename the folder, follow the instructions below:
- To begin, right-click the windows task bar and select Task Manager from the menu that appears
- After that, switch to the processes tab
- To sort the list, choose the name column header
- The next step is to select and terminate the following processes: QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, and Qbw32.exe
- If an error warning appears “WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results…“at the end of the process, you should select the “Yes” tab.
The solutions outlined in this article generally covered the steps of the Clean Install process which might be helpful in getting rid of Error 1646 when installing QuickBooks. This is the best and reliable way to overcome such installation errors in QuickBooks. In any case, if you face difficulty in applying the steps discussed above, feel free to chat with our Experts via LIVE CHAT option.
What do you understand with QuickBooks Error Code 1646?
It is an installation error that occurs if you’re installing QuickBooks Desktop Premier on a computer that already has a Premier installation from the same year. Or, if you’re installing QuickBooks Accountant on a computer that already has a Premier installation from the same year, you’ll receive this prompt.
How do I check QuickBooks Desktop version and release while implementing the Clean Install process?
It is pretty simple to check, you just move to the Home screen then press and hold the Ctrl + 1 or F2 key to open the Product Information window. Here, you can find the version, edition, and release which appears on the top of the Windows on the product line.
Is it also important to activate the QuickBooks Desktop after installation is successfully done?
Yes, It is very important to activate your software after the installation process. Well, QuickBooks will also ask you to activate and update your software after you install it successfully. To activate QB Desktop, follow the steps given below:
Open your QuickBooks software
Go to the Help menu and select the option named “Activate QuickBooks Desktop”
Perform the steps prompts on your screen to verify the information that you’ve given.