QuickBooks error 15215 occurs when downloading payroll updates in QuickBooks desktop. Instead of downloading and installing the updates, the software fails to verify digital signature so the process fails and gives you this error. Generally, an application running in the background interferes with the downloading and installation process of the payroll updates, leading the process to fail and throw the error 15215.
The applications that cause QuickBooks error 15215 generally take a lot of internet bandwidth, leaving little for the other software. Since the connection to download updates times out, the update process fails. Further, security software such as windows firewall can also create problems when you’re trying to update your software. These software can block the network connection necessary for downloading updates.
In this post, you’ll learn more about how to fix QuickBooks error 15215.
- 1 About QuickBooks Error 15215
- 2 Description of Error
- 3 What is QuickBooks Error 15215?
- 4 What Causes of QuickBooks Error Code 15215?
- 5 Symptoms of The QuickBooks Error 15215
- 6 Quick Resolution of QuickBooks Error Code 15215
- 7 Some Additional Solutions for QuickBooks Error 15215
- 7.1 1. Method One: Reboot Your System
- 7.2 Method 2: Log in as a System Administrator
- 7.3 Method 3: TLS 1.0 Settings Verification
- 7.4 Method 4: Restart the Microsoft Windows in Selective Startup
- 7.5 Method 5: Re-configure Windows Firewall for QuickBooks Desktop
- 7.6 Method 6: Manually Install Updates
- 7.7 Points to take into consideration:
- 8 FAQ
About QuickBooks Error 15215
|Error Code:||QuickBooks Error 15215||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||Unable to verify digital signature / Incorrect Configuration of Microsoft Internet Explorer||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||File damage/corruption due to virus or malware in present in the system, Improper or Incomplete download or of the file update.||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptoms:||Slow & sluggish performance of your system windows, The system gets corrupted while running the same program.||Possible Solution:||Verify The TLS settings in The Internet Options Windows of IE, Run QuickBooks As a Windows Administrator|
Description of Error
- Error number: Error code 15215
- Error name: QuickBooks Pro Error 15215
- Description: Error 15215: Unable to verify digital signature / Incorrect Configuration of Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Developer: Intuit Inc.
- Applies to: Windows XP, Vista 7, 8
What is QuickBooks Error 15215?
QuickBooks Error 15215 occurs mainly due to the different applications running in the backend of your system while attempting to download the payroll update. The application demands a strong bandwidth for the downloading process and it ends up obstructing the QuickBooks Payroll from creating links to the server. Another reason responsible is the Windows firewall program that hinders QuickBooks Payroll from getting updated. When the error occurs it displays an error message: Error 15215: “Unable to verify the digital signal”.
The QuickBooks 15215 error code indicates “Digital signature, you are restricted to verify/identify.” When this error occurs it ends up crashing all active apps windows. Windows begins functioning slow and the pointer of the mouse freezes at a point for a few seconds.
What Causes of QuickBooks Error Code 15215?
QuickBooks Error 15215 comes due to restricted internet, file damage, and incomplete update, below are some more causes mentioned:
- You might encounter this error code due to the incorrect configuration of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- QuickBooks accounting software verifies the signature on company files when it is unable to verify the signature of any file which has been placed for downloading during the updating process.
- If the QuickBooks payroll file or windows gets corrupted due to malware or virus or any other infection.
- In case, the QuickBooks-related files were mistakenly deleted due to deleterious activities in the system.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer has an incorrect configuration.
- This error may pop up if the QuickBooks Installation is incomplete or inappropriate.
- An improper or incomplete QuickBooks setup can evoke this issue.
- Microsoft Windows machine files or QuickBooks Payroll application files have been infected by viruses or ransomware or some other malware.
- Last but not least when a background application is running and you have put the software on the update, this error may occur.
Symptoms of The QuickBooks Error 15215
QuickBooks error code 15215 when comes, some of the potential signs indicate us which are:
- When suddenly all the active programs & applications are crashed again & again. This might be the biggest sign of QB error 15215.
- The system gets unresponsive while giving commands through keyboard & mouse.
- Slow & sluggish performance of your system windows.
- The Quickbooks showing message “Unable to verifying digital signature : Error 15215”.
- Your computer becomes unresponsive after a span of time.
- The system gets corrupted while running the same program.
Quick Resolution of QuickBooks Error Code 15215
For QuickBooks Error 15215 we have listed below some Quick solutions that help you to fix:
- Prior to attempting the resolutions to fix the QuickBooks issue make sure that all the active programs in the backdrop is closed.
- Thorough scanning of the virus/malware.
- At times the program does not respond a program instantly. It might be due to low or very less memory available. Ensure while software download is going on or working within the software there should be enough free memory available for seamless execution of the system.
- Perform complete uninstallation and then reinstallation of your QuickBooks program. Doing this can fix the issue instantly.
- Repair and restore your Windows OS in your system and uninstall all the changes made.
- The final important step is to clean all the junk files with the help of disk cleanup.
- If any of the above solutions not helping you to get rid of Quickbooks error 15215, then you can consider to follow mentioned below methods.
Some Additional Solutions for QuickBooks Error 15215
It is noticed that QuickBooks Error 15215 is usually triggered due to a conflict with another application running in the background while downloading and installing a payroll update. The application might be a program that requires a lot of bandwidth to restrict QuickBooks Desktop payroll from creating a connection to the web server. With the help of this write-up, you can find out effective solutions to resolve such an error code. You just need to check out the below listed troubleshooting steps in a given sequence. Let’s get started:
1. Method One: Reboot Your System
At times, restarting the system helps in fixing a few of the bugs and errors related to the internet, network, or printing like QuickBooks Error 15215. Due to this, the application that protects the QuickBooks Payroll force shut down or prompt to reset its settings in order to remove the blocked connection by reconfiguration. Once you are done with restarting and the problem is resolved thankfully but the error code is appearing after regular intervals. In such a scenario, you must see and confirm that no program is running on the system. If it does then it could be the cause of this error. If still, getting the same error code on a recurring basis then jump to the next method.
Steps For Windows Computer
- Click on the windows Icon from the left bottom corner.
- Click on Shut-down icon, Now you’ll see the options (Sleep/Shut-Down/Restart)
- Now, Click on Restart button
Steps For Mac Computer
- First of all click on the Apple Icon from the top left side corner of the screen.
- From the drop down menu, There is “Restart” Option Available.
- Hit the Restart button to Reboot the system
Method 2: Log in as a System Administrator
Running QuickBooks as a Windows Administrator enables the QuickBooks application to take authority over every possible Windows application. It also lets QuickBooks take essential resources for functioning properly. Moreover, you can avoid QuickBooks Error code 15215 if you sign in with the correct login credentials. Go through the steps provided below:
- To start away, make sure that your QuickBooks Desktop is closed.
- Hit a right-click on your QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Then, select Run as an Administrator.
- Now, enter the login credentials if prompted.
- If a dialog box prompts with the message “Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?, click the Yes tab.
Method 3: TLS 1.0 Settings Verification
In this section, you need to confirm that the TLS 1.0 is checked, and TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 are unchecked under the Internet Option Window of the Internet Explorer. This kind of verification helps you to correct the QuickBooks Error Code 15215. Here’s how:
- Firstly, you need to shut down the QuickBooks application.
- Access/ open the Internet Explorer browser.
- Now, click on the Tools icon and select the Internet options tab.
- After that, hit onto the Advanced tab.
- Under the Advanced Settings section, locate Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1, Use TLS 1.2 options. Note: You might not get these options if you have outdated Internet Explorer versions.
- Later, check if the Use TLS 1.0 is marked and ensure that Use TLS 1.1, Use TLS 1.2 are unmarked.
- Furthermore, you have to press on the OK tab to close the Windows and then turn off the Internet Explorer Internet Options window.
- Restart your system to see the changes that have been added.
- Verify whether any Available Updates display after the system starts, if it’s available then try to download the QuickBooks Update again.
Method 4: Restart the Microsoft Windows in Selective Startup
Restarting the MS windows in selective startup mode can be a nice idea to chuck off QuickBooks Error 15215. To do so, carry out the steps listed below:
- The very first step is to turn off the QuickBooks Application.
- In the system, open the Run Windows
- For Windows XP: You have to tap on the Start tab and Run icon.
- For Windows 7 and Vista: You are supposed to press the Start tab and All Program tab. Also, click on the Accessories tab and Run tab.
- For Windows 8 & 10: You need to hold and press Windows + R keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- In the Run Windows, you have to type in the msconfig and hit the Ok tab.
- This will open the System Configuration Utility window. Just Allow the Configuration window to open.
- On the current page, choose the Selective Startup and clear the Load Startup item checkbox.
- Click on the Ok button to save the modifications.
- As per the instructions, you just need to restart the system.
- Once you restarted or reopened the QuickBooks successfully, give a click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon to open it and download the current tax table.
- If you are enabled to download the update, simply follow steps 1 to 4 to get back to the System Configuration Utility.
- Select the Normal Startup box.
- Now, hit the Ok tab.
- In the end, restart your system again to see the changes.
Method 5: Re-configure Windows Firewall for QuickBooks Desktop
At times, the system Firewall might prevent the QuickBooks Software from accessing the server. Therefore, it’s required to configure it if you don’t want to experience the QuickBooks Error 15215. The steps included in this section are as follows:
- To begin with click on the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Go to the Windows Firewall section and choose the System Security option.
- Press the View to large or small icons and then tap on Windows Firewall instantly.
- Select the Advanced Settings option and after this, choose the Inbound Rules option in the left section of the screen.
- Hit a right-click on the Inbound Rules and hit the New Rule tab.
- Once you are done with that, choose the Port option from the Rule Type section.
- From the first set of Radio buttons, tap on Specific Local Ports.
- Make sure to separate by a Comma and then press Next to continue.
- Now, you need to choose the option Allow the Connection.
- Move your cursor to select Network type if this rule is to be applied.
- Before clicking Next, confirm that you’ve checked all the options especially when you switch from one network connection to another quite often.
- Later, press the Finish tab to save the settings.
- Finally, you would have to follow the same set of instructions to create Outbound Rules.
Method 6: Manually Install Updates
If none of the above steps worked out in your favor then you can install the updates manually to get rid of QuickBooks Error Code 15215. Below are the instructions you need to follow:
- Initially, you need to click on the Update QuickBooks option.
- Now, ensure that the product is selected.
- Then, you have to select the Change tab and then choose the QuickBooks Product.
- Tap on the Update option and select the location where you wish to save the file.
- After implementing the above step, hit the Save option and look for the downloaded file.
- Press Install the Update tab twice and later restart the windows.
- Browse the QuickBooks to see if the latest update is downloaded or not.
Points to take into consideration:
There are some key pointers that are necessary to keep in mind whenever you are going to download the QuickBooks update for preventing QuickBooks Error 15215. Let’s have a look at the underneath actions:
- All the steps described above ensure that the system functions in a normal working environment. However, if there are items you want to eliminate permanently then you might need to visit the Microsoft website and search for how to clean boot windows.
- In case you are able to download the update by clearing the startup items, this will indicate that one or more of the programs in your startup items are conflicting with downloading the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Update.
Related Post – How to fix Quickbooks Error 15243/
Why does QuickBooks Error 15215 appear?
Improper installation of QuickBooks Payroll or virus-infected Windows system is the major cause due to which QuickBooks Error 15215 appears. Sometimes, when a user tries to update the latest release of QuickBooks payroll and is unable to open it, this error might be encountered.
What does QuickBooks Error 15215 define?
The QuickBooks Error 15215 occurs when background running applications conflict with another application while downloading the payroll update. It might be blocking you from further processing and not accepting the digital signature.
How would I correct the QuickBooks Error 15215?
You can correct the QuickBooks error 15215 in four different ways such as rebooting the system, checking and verifying the utilization of TLS 1.0, and restarting the window in the selective start-up.