QuickBooks is one of the best accounting software across the world which empowers you to store and access your company records, and you can backup your basic financial information to forestall any information misfortune or interruption. You can set up programmed backups, planned backups, and backup suggestions to guarantee the most extreme security level for your company file. In any case, you may encounter QuickBooks programmed backup, not working issues. You set a programmed backup to run, and it doesn’t work.
So you updated the backup settings for your QuickBooks Desktop and set it to automatic, but lately, it does not seem to be working. What can one do in such a situation when you need to back up your data at a very short interval and doing it manually is not feasible? When your QuickBooks Automatic Backup is not working, you can follow the guidelines provided below by the AccountingErrors experts’ team.
You created the automatic backup for your QuickBooks but at times when it takes the backup, only a .12 KB .tmb file is being saved.
There are two types of basic backups and they take place according to their settings:
Possible Reasons behind the issue
QuickBooks automatic backup not working is a fatal error, and can be provoked by the following reasons:
- File name too long
- File path too long
- Huge file size
- Wrong drive or insufficient permissions
- Keep QuickBooks running setting
- Problem with username and password.
Resolving the Automatic Backup Issue:
You can easily resolve the Automatic Backup Issue if you follow the resolutions provided below attentively:
- Recreating the Backup Schedule
- Running QuickBooks in Compatibility Mode
- Changing The Directory
There are a few solutions that can help you solve QuickBooks automatic backup issue:
1. Solution One: Recreating the Backup Schedule
To recreate the backup schedule, you need to follow the steps below:
- Open your QuickBooks and go to
- Click on Backup Company and then on Create Local Backup
- Click Local Backup and then hit
- Click Only Schedule Future Backups and hit Next
- Fill in the Description & Location and set the number of copies of the backup you want to keep.
- Fill in the Time and Days you want the backup to be created.
- Hit Store Passwords and fill your Windows Credentials.
- Hit Ok and then
2. Solution Two: Running QuickBooks in Compatibility Mode
To run QuickBooks in compatibility mode, you need to follow the steps below:
- Go to the QuickBooks icon on your desktop and right-click it. From the menu, select Run QuickBooks in Compatibility Mode.
- You will be redirected to the Compatibility Mode Section to choose the Compatibility.
- Check the box Run this program in Compatibility Mode for:
- A drop-down will appear, choose Windows 7
- Go to the Privilege Level Section and check Run this program as an administrator
- Hit Apply and then hit
3. Solution Three: Changing The Directory
You can try changing the directory as well if nothing works for you. To do so, you need to follow mentioned below steps:
You can rename the QuickBooks Company file:
1. Renaming your QuickBooks Desktop File:
- Backup the QuickBooks Company File.
- Check the location of the Company file:
- Go to the homepage and hit F2 or Ctrl+ 1 to open the product information window.
- Note the location given in the File Information field.
2. Browse to the specified location:
- Go to the file and right-click it. Click Rename.
- Enter the new file name and hit Enter
- Hit Yes and confirm the action.
- Setting up QuickBooks Desktop to use the new company file name:
- Open your QuickBooks and go to File menu and click Open or restore an existing company.
- Click Open a company file and hit Next.
- Select the freshly renamed company file and hit Open.
3. Deleting the Temp Folder:
- Hit Windows+ R keys to launch the Run Command.
- In the black field, fill %TEMP% and hit Enter.
- Right-click the temp folder and hit
Solutions according to causes : QuickBooks Automatic Backup Not Working
1. Cause: File name too long
- QuickBooks company file name is greater than 65 characters.
- Lot of spaces b/w Company file name.
- Using underscores & special characters.
Don’t give a file name exceeding 30 characters, stop using special characters and spaces
2. Cause: File path too long
- Your company file is not in the root drive.
- Company file path is very long.
- And the backup file path is also long.
If you want to fix this problem, so shorten your file path.
3. Cause: Huge file size
If your QuickBooks file has become too large and backed up is more than 3 GB in size.
To avoid this problem use a similar file size.
4. Cause: Wrong drive or insufficient permissions
- If you are using External drive or Pen drive for the backup.
- Don’t have a full permission or rights for windows access.
If you want to fix this issue, create your backup file either in the root drive of the directory or on a desktop, restore your data as per your desired location.
5. Cause: Keep QuickBooks running setting
Preference Setting Conflict is another reason behind the cause for automatic or scheduled backups.
If you want the QuickBooks backup process running normally, so stop or turn off the setting.
6. Cause: Problem with username and password
- The improper configuration.
- Configuration is not done properly during the setup process, it takes a place regarding the user name & password.
Here we are talking about the windows user name & password, not a QuickBooks user name, you have to take into consideration that if the PC where the QuickBooks file is scheduled for backup is on a domain, the username must be that username that is used on a domain- domain\username.
Alternate Solutions to Resolve The QuickBooks Automatic Backup not Working
Here are some of the top procedures you can follow to fix QuickBooks automatic backup error:
- Download and Install the QuickBooks Updates
- QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Operations Data Utility
- Verify Scheduled Automatic Backup Settings in QuickBooks
Follow the steps below to resolve the backup of QuickBooks not working on Windows issue:
Solution 1: The best way to fix this issue is to download and Install the QuickBooks Updates with the following steps:
- In the first step, open the Help menu
- Then, you have to choose the Update QuickBooks option
- Hit the click on the Update Now tab
- Then, choose the “Get Updates” option to start the downloading process
- Once the downloading is finished then restart your QuickBooks
- The last step is to accept the terms & condition to install the most recent version
Solution 2: Another way is to resolve the run of the QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Data Utility
QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Data Utility is an inbuilt QuickBooks apparatus that checks the trustworthiness of QuickBooks company files and assuming any harm is discovered, it consequently fixes the harm.
- First of all, open your QuickBooks Desktop
- Then go to the File tab, keep your mouse cursor over the Utility area.
- Now, you have to choose the verified Data alternative starting from the drop list.
- QuickBooks will currently filter the company file for any blunders and defilement.
- In case, if QuickBooks shows “Your Data has Lost Integrity,” close the message and click the File tab once more.
- The next step is to move your mouse cursor to the utility areas
- Then, select the Rebuild Data option.
- Click on the OK button at the Backup Company Data popup window and take a backup of your company file information on your Desktop.
- Again, click OK, and the QuickBooks Rebuild Data tool will fix the damaged or corrupted issue in the company file.
- When you see the error message “Rebuild has Completed,” click OK and attempt to plan the programmed backups by and by.
Solution 3: If all the above methods failed to resolve this issue, then you need to verify Scheduled Automatic Backup Settings in QuickBooks
- The first step is to open the File menu
- Then, choose the Save Copy/Backup. This will open the Save Copy or Backup window.
- Now, you have to choose the Backup Copy section, click on the Next
- Click Options to set your back defaults, for example, where you need to save your nearby backup, etc, click Next.
- Pick either Use This Location or change the Location. Click Next.
- Click Only scheduled future backups or Save it Now and timetable future backups
- Move forward and click on the Next button.
- In the Save backup copy naturally when I close my company files each <number> times box, place the ideal number.
- Click on the Finish button to end this process.
Why is my QuickBooks Automatic Backup not working?
The primary reason behind this error is the unavailability of the storage device that saves the backup file. Damage or corrupted company file data is also one of the major reasons behind failure to back up the data in QuickBooks. Before processing, check and ensure about all corrupted or damaged files.
How can I enable the QB Automatic Backup?
Go to the File menu and click on the “Backup” option. Hit the click on the “Automatically back up” when a user tries to close all files. then, enter the appropriate selections over the QuickBooks Backup window and hit the Ok button.
How can I set up the automatic backup in QuickBooks?
Open the QuickBook and then go to the File menu. Now you have to choose the backup company file. Then, move forward to set up or activate the online backup. Sign in with your email and perform displayed guidelines until the program is not finished. Once it’s completed, then click on the Continue button. At last, choose your company file and hit the continue button.