QuickBooks Error H505 is a common issue that occurs when users try to access company files in a multi-user environment. QuickBooks Multi-User Mode allows multiple users to collaborate on the same company file from various networked workstations. Accessing the company file in this setup is usually straightforward but the problem arises when QuickBooks encounters difficulties in connecting to the file. This results in the H505 error.
QuickBooks Error Code H505 is part of a series of H-series errors in QuickBooks that occurs from network-related issues when trying to access a company file stored on a server. QuickBooks Error Code H505 specifically shows that the user’s QuickBooks software cannot establish a connection with the computer on the network responsible for hosting the company file. This error is an indicator of technical network setup problems. It disturbs communication between workstations within the network.
When you encounter QuickBooks Error H505, you’ll find the message, “This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.” To resolve Error H505, it’s necessary to disable the Host Multi-User Access option on the computers in your network that doesn’t host the company files.
- Error Name: QuickBooks Error H505
- Appears: Window XP, 7,8, and Vista
|Intuit Printing Library Error
|This Company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.
|Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8
|Corrupted or damaged.ND files that block QuickBooks from opening the file over the server, Inaccurate installation of QuickBooks also leads to this error issue.
|The system often crashes while running the same program, Performance of work processing goes slows down.
|Correct the Configure firewall settings and open the network ports, Check and verify the hosting and services.
Reasons that cause QuickBooks Error Code H505
- Incorrect hosting setup of the QuickBooks Desktop application on the server which is responsible for hosting the company file.
- Windows firewall or third-party firewall software blocking communication between networked computers.
- A damaged or corrupt Network Data file (.ND), which QuickBooks relies on to establish connections with other networked computers.
- Failure to install the latest updates for QuickBooks Desktop.
Symptoms of the error QuickBooks Error H505
- Difficulty in enabling the Multi-User mode.
- Unexpected shut down of files or reports in QuickBooks.
- Frequent system crashes.
- Unresponsive Windows operating system.
- Inability to access company data from the server.
- Appearance of error code H505 on your screen.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code H505?
To resolve QuickBooks Error Code H505, users can explore the following steps:
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and go to the “Help” tab, then select “About QuickBooks.”
- In the “About QuickBooks” window, click on the “Update Now” button.
- Make sure to check the boxes for “New Features,” “Maintenance Releases” and “Reset Updates.”
- Click the “Get Update” button.
- Restart QuickBooks and if prompted, click “Install Now” to install the updates.
- After installing the updates, restart your computer and try opening the company file again.
Solution 2: Create a New Company File Folder
- Change the location of the company file to resolve error H505.
- Navigate to the folder on the computer hosting the company file.
- Create a new folder on your desktop and move the company file into it.
- Right-click the new folder and select “Properties.”
- Under the “Share” tab, choose “Advanced Sharing.”
- Check the “Share This Folder” box and click “Permissions.”
- Select the “Full Control” option for the “Everyone” group, then click “Apply” and “OK.”
- Click “Apply” and “OK” again and attempt to open the company file from the workstation.
Solution 3: Set Proper Hosting on Computers
- Adjusting hosting settings can help resolve QuickBooks multi-user mode issues. Follow these steps:
- On your workstation, open QuickBooks and go to the “File” tab. Click “Stop Hosting Multi-User Configuration” under the “Utility” option.
- On the server hosting the company file and open QuickBooks and select “Host Multi-User Configuration” under “Files” > “Utilities.”
- Restart both the server and workstation and try to open the company file again.
Solution 4: Check Workstation Communication with File Hosting Server
- Navigate to the Control Panel and select “Network and Sharing Centre”
- Click “Change Advanced Sharing Settings” and ensure the “Turn on Network Discovery” option is selected under “Network Discovery” and “File and Printer sharing.”
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run program.
- Type “CMD” and press Enter or click OK to open the Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt window, type “ipconfig/all” and press Enter.
- Make note of the server name and close the Command Prompt.
- Open Command Prompt on the workstation and run the “ping(your server name)” command without brackets.
- This command sends data packets to the server and if there is no packet loss then it indicates a good connection between the server and workstation.
- Perform these steps on each workstation displaying error code H505.
- If some workstations cannot receive all packets sent to the server, contact your IT team for further troubleshooting assistance.
Solution 5: Configure Windows Firewall Settings
- Press the Windows key + R and type “Control Panel.”
- Press Enter and search for “Windows Firewall.”
- Click “Allow an app through Windows Firewall.”
- Click “Change Settings.”
- Check the box under the “Public” list for the QuickBooks application.
- If QuickBooks is not listed then click “Allow another app” and browse for QuickBooks.
- Click OK and select the “Public” option for the application.
- Click OK and attempt to open the company file on the workstation to check if Error H505 persists.
Solution 6: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- Utilize the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool that is a simple and efficient way to fix H-series error codes by scanning and automatically resolving file issues.
- Ensure that QuickBooks Tool Hub is installed on your server computer with network access.
- Install QuickBooks Tool Hub and run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from it to address and eliminate any bugs and glitches.
Solution 7: Verify Services on the Server
This solution aims to ensure that QuickBooks services are running correctly on the server system. Follow these steps for both QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService:
- Go to the Start menu on the server system or press Windows + R keys (for Windows 8 and above) to open the Run tab.
- Type “services.msc” and press Enter.
- In the list, find QuickBooksDBXX, where XX represents your QuickBooks version.
- Double-click QuickBooksDBXX and navigate to the “Automatic” tab to locate the “Startup type” section.
- The service status should be either “running” or “started.” If it’s not, select the “Start” option.
- Next, go to the “Recovery” tab and restart the service from each of the following drop-down menus:
- First failure
- Second failure
- Subsequent failure
- Click “Apply” and then “OK” to save all the changes.
- Repeat the above steps for QBCFMonitorservice.
How to Show Hidden Files and Folders on Windows?
If you can’t see the Windows folder in “This PC” under Local Disk C, follow these steps to ensure hidden files and folders are visible:
- Open File Explorer and go to the “View” tab.
- Check the “Hidden Items” checkbox in the Show/hide section. This will make File Explorer display hidden files, and it will remember this setting until you change it back.
How to Edit the Hosts File?
To edit the Hosts file:
- Right-click the Hosts folder and select “Open with…” to open it using Notepad.
- Enter the IP address and computer name. For the server use the workstation’s IP number and computer name. For the workstation use the server’s IP and computer name. You can separate the IP address from the computer’s name using the Tab key instead of the Space bar.
- After making your changes, save them and then reopen QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
In conclusion, QuickBooks Error Code H505 is a frustrating issue for users in multi-user environments. This guide helps in understanding the causes, symptoms and solutions to tackle this issue. By understanding the cause of the problem and following the methods to resolve them users can maintain uninterrupted access to their company files. Remember that quick action and regular network maintenance are key to preventing and resolving H505 errors efficiently.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is QuickBooks Error Code H505?
QuickBooks Error Code H505 is an error that occurs when QuickBooks Desktop in multi-user mode is unable to connect to a company file hosted on another computer. It’s usually caused by network and configuration issues, making it challenging for users to access the company file in a multi-user environment.
What are the common causes of QuickBooks Error H505?
This error is typically triggered by incorrect hosting configurations on the server, firewall restrictions, damaged Network Data files (.ND), or outdated QuickBooks Desktop software. These factors can disrupt the connection between workstations and the server.
How can I identify if my QuickBooks has Error H505?
Common symptoms include difficulties enabling multi-user mode, unexpected QuickBooks file closures, system crashes, an unresponsive Windows OS, and an inability to access the company data from the server. Additionally, you may see Error Code H505 displayed on your screen.
What steps can I take to resolve QuickBooks Error H505?
You can try several solutions to fix this error including updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version, creating a new company file folder, managing hosting settings, checking network connectivity, and configuring Windows Firewall settings. Running the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is another effective solution.
How do I verify if the workstation can communicate with the file hosting server?
To check network connectivity, access Control Panel, select Network and Sharing Center, and make sure that “Turn on Network Discovery” is enabled. Then, run a Command Prompt window, type “ipconfig/all,” and check if there’s any packet loss when pinging the server from workstations.
How do I verify services on the server to resolve QuickBooks Error H505?
To ensure QuickBooks services are running on the server, open the Run dialog, type “services.msc,” and locate QuickBooksDBXX in the list (XX represents the QuickBooks version). Double-click it, check if the service status is “running,” and select “Start” if it’s not. Repeat the process for QBCFMonitorservice.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1/, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
--- Support - We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud) ---
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support