After installing the most recent windows 10 updates on their computer, many users complained that QuickBooks displayed an error message on the screen showing that QuickBooks has crashed and provided them with the usual window options. This can be quite frustrating and worrisome at the same time for users as Microsoft is considered to be the most widely used operating system and business owners depend on QuickBooks for their daily accounting needs.
This article will be your savior if your copy of QuickBooks has also crashed after installing Windows updates as we provide you the details about what caused this error and how can you resolve them on your own .Following these steps to resume having a seamless accounting experience on QuickBooks.
Causes QuickBooks Crashes after installing Windows Update
- Corrupted updates namely, KB4074805 and KB4073701 have been installed that are causing QuickBooks to crash.
- The user may have installed QuickBooks version 14 or earlier in their systems.
- You have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 version installed.
Solutions QuickBooks Crashes after Installing Windows Update
- If you have QuickBooks version 14 or less installed on your computer, you will have to upgrade to a higher version.
- Uninstall Windows .NET 4.7.1 update from your computer. For this go to the start menu , click on Windows update under Control Panel .Then click Installed Updates .Find updates KB4074805 and KB4073701 in the list and select the uninstall button by right – clicking them .
- Use designated specialized tool like the Repair Tool and Diagnostic tool. QuickBooks also provide a range of tools such as Connection Diagnostic tools, File Doctor, Component repair tool and a PDF repair tool for the purpose of identifying and troubleshooting errors.
Repair QuickBooks Installation?
QuickBooks provides a range of efficient tools that is your go-to option if you encounter any error while using, installing or updating QuickBooks and quickly solve them. Additionally
QuickBooks Repair Tool
- Create a backup of your company file and restart your PC.
- From the windows Start menu, select Control Panel.
- Click on Program and Features and then on Uninstall the Program.
- From the list of programs, select QuickBooks, then Uninstall / Change.
- Click Next >select repair >click Next. Then select Finish.
QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool
- Install QuickBooks Tool Hub from the download section of Intuit’s official website.
- After completing the installation, open the program from the desktop or from the start menu.
- Click on the Installation Issues tab in the Tool Hub.
- Select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and Restart your computer after the troubleshooting process is completed.
QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
- To install QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic tool, you have to close any antivirus or firewall installed on your computer.
- Download QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool from the official website of Intuit.
- Open the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool by clicking on the icon .
- Make sure you close all company files before beginning the troubleshooting process.
- Click on Utilities and then select Repair File and Network Problem.
- Give the necessary permissions and choose the company file you want to fix and click continue.
- Select the issue you are facing from the Show Advanced setting
- Provide the credentials like username and password
- Run the diagnose process from the Connection tool.
QuickBooks File Doctor
- Download QuickBooks File Doctor from Intuit’s official website and install it.
- Click on the QuickBooks File Doctor icon and select the file you want to fix.
- Click on Check the Damage option and then select Diagnose File option.
- Enter the admin Login ID and password and run the tool. Check if the repaired file is working fine.
QuickBooks Component Repair Tool
For QuickBooks to work in optimal condition, Microsoft components such as .NET Framework, MS Visual C++, Framework and MSXML are running perfectly. For this QuickBooks Component Repair Tool comes handy. Users can fix errors by two ways
- By Rebuilding .NET framework
- Download the QuickBooks Component Repair Tool and close all running programs.
- Open the file QBINSTALL_Tool_v2.exe’
- Restart your computer after the diagnosis is finished.
2. By repairing Microsoft MSXML files.
- Register the MSXML DLL files.
- Uninstall and Reinstall MSXML 6.0 file
- Install MSXML 6.0 SP1 file and repair MSXML 6.
QuickBooks PDF Repair tool
Apart from system errors, users may also face errors related to printing invoices, bills, documents etc. To solve these, follow the steps below-
- Download the QuickBooks PDF repair tool from Intuit’s official website and install it.
- Run the troubleshooter to find and fix printing related issues.
Can I block Windows from installing KB4074805 and KB4073701 in the future?
Yes, for this you have to check for new updates from the Window updates, if you see any of these updates, right click and choose Hide Update.
I received a “Files in use error .” How should I fix it?
For this select Ignore or click OK if a pop up message appears asking to reboot. Restart your computer after the repair is done.
What is error 1628?
Error 1628 with an error message “Failed to complete script based install” is due to Windows Installer not working correctly.
Can I fix error 1628 by myself?
Unfortunately, you have to take the help of an IT specialist to fix this issue.
Is there a tool that can repair both errors and damaged files?
Yes, QuickBooks File Doctor can fix multi user errors, 6000 series errors, and empty lists apart from repairing damaged files.
I am getting notifications to update Windows .Net Framework .Will QuickBooks work if I install them?
Yes, QuickBooks will continue to work after installing .NET framework updates.